• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V sold more than 1,000,000 on PC in less than a day

Denton

As much as I appreciate quality of the PC version, I do not appreciate being stringed along waiting for years, so here is hoping other companies don't start delaying best versions of their games just to get more doubletriple dipper money.

jacobeid

Banned
Plus the other copies. Sheeeeeit.

I bought it on PS3 and PS4. I'll likely end up owning it on PC at some point as well.

Pezus

Because most dev teams don't have 5 years and 1000 people to devote to a game. Rockstar is literally the only dev with the resources to do that.

This are Steam numbers. How exactly could it have been 2 million?

Not to mention a budget in the hundreds of millions of dollars

theWB27

It would have sold more if it did.
As far as I'm concerned, I didn't buy it, because the hype was over for me, I mean, my interest for the game just flew away.

But the numbers show their release strategy has been a huge success. I cant really imagine what they could've done differently in order to actually sell more.

Salsa

As much as I appreciate quality of the PC version, I do not appreciate being stringed along waiting for years, so here is hoping other companies don't start delaying best versions of their games just to get more doubletriple dipper money.

eh I mean

I don't disagree, but im having a hard time hating considering how good this port is

they really had to nail this shit or be crucified forever after last time, so I wouldnt be surprised if they also took their time to not completely lose a big part of their audience for good

they had to make amends

Mitch

Banned
Received the PS3 version for Christmas after it launched. Traded that in last month, since I probably played it for a total of 3 hours. Most likely would have passed on the PC version until a price drop if it wasn't for Nuuvem.

lol you're crazy

the amount of people double/triple-dipping is crazy and something that wouldnt have happened at all if they were given the option for the best looking / playing version right from the start

im sure they took their time cause they wanted to do it right after the last fiasco but it's still a market decision as well, and a damn effective one

I meant PC sales. I agree for the overall sales, if PC came out on day one, there would have been less double/triple dippers. But I think that PC sales would have been higher.

This is what I'm wondering too. I've never worked in the gaming business, but I have no idea why other devs don't do open-world games of the scope and coolness of GTAs

I don't see how it's such a hard concept to make

Exactly. Recently, I just sat down with a bunch of friends and we decided to make an open world epos instead of getting drunk as usual. It was pretty fun and easy.

Tabasco

There always has to be games that sell like crazy, yet I hardly have an interest in them.

I bought the game on PS3 back when that came out to see what all the hype was all about, but it didn't hold my attention and I never bothered to finish it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Dat thirst holy crap

Fucking pirates, could have been 2 million.

N72uxBG.gif~original

This is what I'm wondering too. I've never worked in the gaming business, but I have no idea why other devs don't do open-world games of the scope and coolness of GTAs

I don't see how it's such a hard concept to make

I don't think you're comprehending the sheer scale of the production here. The combination of creative freedom, money, time, and near maniacal eye for detail to build a world like GTAV isn't something that any other dev team in the industry has. That's before getting into the talent behind the game and the experience they have making it.

King_Moc

Banned
I like to think that most people saved money and bought the Rockstar Social Club Version, not the Steam one....but this is PC gamers we're talking about.

MUnited83

For you.
I like to think that most people saved money and bought the Rockstar Social Club Version, not the Steam one....but this is PC gamers we're talking about.
Many people preordered the Steam version several months ago by the same price people are getting the Social clube version now ;)

Buburibon

As long as it inspires this continued PC gaming trend,I'll be happy. I love PC gaming.

Same here. I have very little interest in playing GTAV, but decided to buy it anyway to continue to inspire developers to put everything they can on PC.

Denton

eh I mean

I don't disagree, but im having a hard time hating considering how good this port is

they really had to nail this shit or be crucified forever after last time, so I wouldnt be surprised if they also took their time to not completely lose a big part of their audience for good

they had to make amends
Right, I just don't want this to inspire others, and it is tempting, I mean why get money once from the same person when you can get it three times?
I don't want to see a time when Witcher 4 is unannounced for PC because triple dippers.

(not that I would expect CDP of all people to pull this)

MMaRsu

Banned
i don't get the hype for this game but what do i know, 4 killed the serie for me. never tried 5

You've never tried it.. Thats why you dont get it. This is a so much better than GTAV if you are a fan of the series you should try this one..

GQman2121

Banned
Why don't more open world titles have as detailed game worlds as what GTA 5 has

Re-read the title of the thread and then do the math.

The game is a year and half old and is releasing on its fifth platform. They're so fucking paid that they have the resources other developers can't even begin to comprehend.

Steel

Banned
Why is anyone surprised? It's GTA. It would be silly if it sold less than a million in one day anywhere.

Top Bottom