• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V sold more than 1,000,000 on PC in less than a day

Arttemis

I'm curious as to what percentage first-time-buyers are of that million. This is clearly double/triple dip territory for a ton of people.

AmyS

I have the PS3 and PS4 version. The "only" thing stopping me from triple dipping is, you guessed it (or maybe not), a decent PC.
Bloody Intel Integrated Graphics

Shouldn't be too long before GTA V reaches 50 million in sales, across all 5 platforms right?

eso76

Lack of Time, Money and the security that the game is going to sell millions.

And TALENT.

While they are obviously a factor, it's not like time and money alone would make anyone capable of developing GTAV.

Add experience, knowhow, tech...at this point, R* has leapt so far ahead of the competition its hard to imagine other devs ever catching up, and GTAV sales have propelled R* even further ahead and made the gap even wider.

rhandino

Banned
And TALENT.

While they are obviously a factor, it's not like time and money alone would make anyone capable of developing GTAV.

Add experience, knowhow, tech...at this point, R* has leapt so far ahead of the competition its hard to imagine other devs ever catching up, and GTAV sales have propelled R* even further ahead and made the gap even wider.
How do you get and keep talent working for you? How do you motivate them and keep them engaged in your vision?

$$$

galvatron

Installed PC version from the 7 discs. Now waiting on 5GB patch right after social club account creation. Going quickly (got up to 13.2 MB/s down), aside from disconnecting and reconnecting sporadically...

Why don't more open world titles have as detailed game worlds as what GTA 5 has

Few companies have the resources even capable of pulling it off.
-Time (4-5 years)
-Money (100+ million)
-Talent
-Employees (Was it 1000?)

Right of the bat, those 4 things eliminate the majority of studios/publishers. There's only a handful in the world capable of pulling of GTA V.
What's stopping them? There's no guarantee, that it'd be successful. No one wants to throw away 100 million dollars for the possibility of making it back. They'd rather spend 20 million on 5 different projects. And even if 4 of those projects fail miserably, that's only 80 million dollar waste, and the last project might make up for all 4.

antitrop

I triple-dipped and couldn't be happier. Best open-world game ever.

Ye cause every pub/dev has Rockstar kind of budget.

Ubisoft could, if they wanted to. But they don't. They want to pump out a bunch of assembly line-manufactured, soulless crap, instead of a mega-product.

AmyS

Few companies have the resources even capable of pulling it off.
-Time (4-5 years)
-Money (100+ million)
-Talent
-Employees (Was it 1000?)

Right of the bat, those 4 things eliminate the majority of studios/publishers. There's only a handful in the world capable of pulling of GTA V.
What's stopping them? There's no guarantee, that it'd be successful. No one wants to throw away 100 million dollars for the possibility of making it back. They'd rather spend 20 million on 5 different projects. And even if 4 of those projects fail miserably, that's only 80 million dollar waste, and the last project might make up for all 4.

The other Dogs can't win.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I triple-dipped and couldn't be happier. Best open-world game ever.

Ubisoft could, if they wanted to. But they don't. They want to pump out a bunch of assembly line-manufactured, soulless crap, instead of a mega-product.

I wonder who makes more money.

must be getting close to 50m total sales....

wasn't it already passed 45m after ps4/xbo christmas sales as of mid jan?

couple more months of console sales (still in the top 10 every month) and now pc... maaaaybe 47.5m or so?

etta

my hard graphic balls
So this was 1 million copies in 1 day or 1 million in total with preorders since January + 1 day?

Woo-Fu

Banned

That is something that stuck out for me today, unlike every Ubisoft open world there aren't collectibles littered all over Los Santos. Rockstar is capable of making a world interesting enough that you don't need collectibles to drag you to every corner of the map.

injurai

Banned
Rockstar will never do a simultaneous release ever again confirmed

I'll happily wait for a complete edition with bug fixes, improvements, and extra care put into preparing the game for the PC platform.

Don't know why people get so upset when so much care is put into these delayed PC releases.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
That's 42 million $ in one day just from Steam version of a console game releasing an year later. Think about it...

GTA is goddamn money printing machine.

It doesn't feel like just another shitty port, so it's well deserved. I'm glad they put the time into making this a genuine, great port instead of just cashing in on the name.

antitrop

That is something that stuck out for me today, unlike every Ubisoft open world there aren't collectibles littered all over Los Santos. Rockstar is capable of making a world interesting enough that you don't need collectibles to drag you to every corner of the map.

GTA V has a shitload of collectibles, but getting them isn't the bulk of the core gameplay, unlike Ubisoft games.

It's just optional shit for Trophies.

Outside of NeoGAF I don't think there as many double/triple dippers as people think. A huge proportion of sales came from first time buyers, and a delayed release, but not 18 months late, sounds likely.

God damnnnn this game is a juggernaut. I wonder what it will top out at?

I haven't bought it yet. I'll be waiting for the first decent sale before jumping in.

dcx4610

Pretty impressive for a game that most people have already played and beaten. Not to mention, PC games are still highly pirated.

Hopefully this gives other companies incentive to triple release (PS4/XB1/PC) most titles. All are x86 nowadays so there's really not an excuse.

Microsoft also really needs to try to steal the coolness factor away from Apple and really try to push PCs and Windows as the best place to play games and multimedia. 4k is already here on PC and won't even happen this generation on consoles. Take advantage of that.

Grief.exe

This thread is inadvertently getting me hyped for Killing Floor 2.

lods_of_emone_by_dust_bite-d339o0a.jpg

derExperte

GTA V has a shitload of collectibles, but getting them isn't the bulk of the core gameplay, unlike Ubisoft games.

It's just optional shit for Trophies.

Maybe there is something in the new versions but I would've liked to have a way in-game to find/track them, V's map is just too large for a random search. Sleeping Dogs handled that pretty well, collectibles didn't infest the map early on but you got their locations marked after doing optional missions.

Renekton

The steamspy statistics is using Ars Technica estimation method?

I remember the Ars article only said "A few Steam developers have also been willing to share their own sales data with us" to calibrate but AAA publishers might not be so forthcoming with the data.

i don't get the hype for this game but what do i know, 4 killed the serie for me. never tried 5

I disliked 5 almost as much as I did 4, and I really hated 4.

My wife got bored watching the story stuff pretty quickly too.

It's a little different than 4 though so it doesn't hurt to at least try it, you might like it

Good for rockstar I guess but legit happy that companies are figuring out "if we spend more than 3 minutes on a PC version, people will respond!"

Top Bottom