• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V sold more than 1,000,000 on PC in less than a day

On Demand

Banned
GTA V is the gift that keeps on giving for Take-Two and Rockstar

Honestly, they deserve it. Playing GTAV is like eating candy that never loses its flavor. It's oh so sweet.

What if i told you i purposely have yet to beat the game?

Playing all over again on PS4 and it still feels new.

No, in four years when GTA 6 comes out in will be PC first and then consoles 14 months later.

Hahahahaha!

cyress8

Banned
Could well have already reached that if you include the RSC version, which is the only version available at every other retailer outside of Steam, both digitally and physically.
Yep, I know. Just a little joke about how pirated are the cause of low sales.

Make an awesome game and you get great sales. That's fact.
Now I wish I could play the game :( I have the failed zlib call error and I'm not redownloading the game again. Going to wait for another patch.

Madness

Why don't more open world titles have as detailed game worlds as what GTA 5 has

Probably because only Rockstar has the brand awareness, budget and time to do it. They spent hundreds of millions and made billions back. They don't really listen to what the industry is doing, or what gamers want, and in the end, made a game they wanted to make and reap the rewards now.

Madness

That is a lot of zeroes.

PC gaming is deader than ever.

Impressive considering it's a triple dip in a sense. The game had sold 11.21 million copies on X360/PS3 in its first day of release in 2013. This just means, for the next game, they'll do Xbone/PS4 and then PC launch with the improvements.

Ledhead

Good god, Rockstar is just raking in the cash with GTA. I honestly did not expect it to do this well. Good for them, I hope they built a scrooge McDuck pool for all this cash

galvatron

Maybe 2 million total? Only read forum stuff but seems just as many got the non steam version.

I'm the weirdo who bought the PC DVD

Me too...GCU + $10 pre-order bonus made me do it.
I guess installing all 7 discs gives me something to do while sporadically checking if Mortal Kombat X story mode is finally working.

Damerman

ok, i think we are just buying the game for the sake of saying we bough GTA5 at this point... this is fucking ridiculous...

game is good though.

I am sadly guilty of triple dipping :/. Bought on 360 but only played a couple of hours, than purchased on PS4 and beat the story mode but didn't do many side missions now I have it on PC and will be doing EVERYTHING possible in the game.

neoemonk

I'm one of these schmucks. I bought a PS4 about a month ago. Maybe 5 weeks. The week before Type 0. I bought it for that and Bloodborne, but in the store decided I wanted something to play for it so I grabbed GTA V.

Not too long after that I saw the 60 FPS trailer and said yup, I'm buying that.

Popped the PS4 version up on eBay last night. Hoping I can hit $40 at least.

Pc+gaming+is+the+danger_c3466a_4814812.jpg

zychi

Banned
Fucking pirates, could have been 2 million.

cant play the pirated game, and its going to be rough for pirates to crack it. it checks the social club and hardwareid at various points. its basically "always online" like diablo 3 but they hide it very well.

i gladly double dipped and have been playing it all morning. give me a few patches to fix msaa and ill be happy

Lingitiz

cant play the pirated game, and its going to be rough for pirates to crack it. it checks the social club and hardwareid at various points. its basically "always online" like diablo 3 but they hide it very well.

i gladly double dipped and have been playing it all morning. give me a few patches to fix msaa and ill be happy
What does that mean for mods? Does the game boot you out if you get disconnected?

Most don't want to take 5 years to make a game

Time and Money.

Because that world costs a fortune to create. Few devs get the budget and freedom that Rockstar does, especially for GTA.

Not every company has the budget, talent, or experience as Rockstar when it comes to making open world games.

Lack of Time, Money and the security that the game is going to sell millions.

Do you have $100M lying around somewhere? Do you feel "lucky" with them enough to do a bet with them?

Re-read the title of the thread and then do the math.

The game is a year and half old and is releasing on its fifth platform. They're so fucking paid that they have the resources other developers can't even begin to comprehend.

Maybe because not very few publishers give their developer 200 million to copy and paste the real world into a game?

Probably because only Rockstar has the brand awareness, budget and time to do it. They spent hundreds of millions and made billions back. They don't really listen to what the industry is doing, or what gamers want, and in the end, made a game they wanted to make and reap the rewards now.

Oh, I see.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
SalsaShark said:
the amount of people double/triple-dipping is crazy
I'm not sure if it's really that crazy.
The original title on PS3/360 supposedly sold over 30M, which would make anything from 3M or below a standard fare for PC (10% of console SKUs was what PC retail used to do when publishers started to abandon it en masse - blaming piracy on it as well).

And IIRC PC SKUs of GTA did pretty well in the past, better than 10% even.

Why don't more open world titles have as detailed game worlds as what GTA 5 has

Skyrim, fallout. Bethesda softworks does. You can pick anything up. Search anything. Go anywhere.

Sure GTA looks better. But there's no substance to all this beauty. There may be a gun here or a gun there.. But after a couple hours in first person, you begin to realize there is nothing hidden anywhere. Detailed as it is, there is no substance to any of it. It's like somebody so beautiful or good looking. But when you talk to them, after awhile you begin to realize that their only hobby is to play golf or take photographs. That's it.

OtisInf

'Less than a day' is a bit of a stretch. The pre-order hovered around the top places in the steam charts for months. Still, 1M+ is an impressive number. :)

Maximus.

Man the jeep keeps rolling for Rockstar. Every version of this game is selling really well, which is awesome! I double dipped on PS3 then PS4. I really enjoyed back in the day playing GTA Vice City on PC, but now I do not have a capable PC for the game.

cavemancolton

Unconfirmed Member
This is what I'm wondering too. I've never worked in the gaming business, but I have no idea why other devs don't do open-world games of the scope and coolness of GTAs

I don't see how it's such a hard concept to make

Do you know how money works?

Top Bottom