• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - The little details that caught your attention?

Got caught in a gun fight with the police out in Blaine County. I was hiding out in some rocks.

I ended up shooting one of the cops in the leg... one of the other officers ran out and dragged his buddy to safety out of my line of sight behind a line of rocks.

Was pretty awesome.

Yawnier

Banned
I have put about 5 or 6 hours into this game, so what has caught my attention in that timeframe is:

- Switching from one character to another and seeing that they are coming back from doing something i.e. switching to Michael and seeing him come out of a building and grumbling to himself.

- Random events - one example is the time I was playing as Franklin and saw two gangsters robbing somebody at gunpoint outside a store, I shot down those two gangsters and picked up some money from them. Another one is when I stopped someone who stole a purse, returned the purse to a lady and got a couple hundred dollar reward for it even if I could have kept the purse for myself and gotten more money out of it. Also seeing a cop car with sirens on chasing after a speeding car shooting at them.

- The walking and running animations - from somebody like Michael to the dog Chop. Just very realistic and lifelike overall.

- The driving - its like a perfect cross in between GTA IV driving and Saint's Row driving. The cars and motorcycles don't feel heavy, but not too light either.

So far, so great.

- The variety of police in the game. The Sheriffs Department and Park Rangers patrol the rural areas, while the Police Department handles the city.

- Saw a few police motorcycles parked on the side of the highway under a billboard, and there were 2 cops taking a break (one had coffee, the other was sitting on his bike) and talking.

- People parking their cars and having a quick cigarette before they go inside.

fijim

Banned
Sorry if mentioned but I love how if you hit something while someone is delivering a line characters stop talking for a second then repeat the line again. Extremely small touch that can produce a genuine laugh.

That is a huge improvement. Before they would just stop saying the current line and you would miss out on dialogue.

komojo

Neo Member
The detail texture on the back of the player's shirt blends between two different directions so the fabric folds a different way depending on how your arms move.

If you wait long enough before switching to a character, they will change into a different outfit.

posted this yesterday in the OT, but this seems a fitting place to repost.
While flying the passenger jet one of the engines sucked in a bird (or something) and it caught on fire. I made an emergency landing at the airforce base and was climbing into the jet fighter cockpit as a sniper round connected with my dome. Sooo close.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not far at all, but I liked this touch of seeing a random NPC actually pull his cell phone out of his pocket, flip it open (IIRC) and bring it up to his face. It wasn't like the character was just programmed to always be on his phone. That was a neat detail.

- while driving across the map certain radio stations will lose frequency and change.
- every new place Trevor takes up resident in begins to get more and more trashed throughout the game.
- birds can actually get hit while flying planes and helicopters.
- the entire parachute has collision detection. (Hilarious getting the top caught on a street light and getting closelined).

Did a crazy Insane Stunt Jump that ended up with my car on its nose, balanced up against a bus stop. I half-stepped, half-fell out the door of my now vertical car (dat Euphoria), but my weight transfer must have upset the car because it started tipping over on top of me as I was getting up from the ground. I was ready for the Wasted message to pop up but, incredibly, the car caught on the corner of the bus stop just before it crushed Michael, who was able to crawl out from under it.

I couldn't believe it. You can't crawl in this game, not manually and not for any mission I've seen yet, but apparently Rockstar went to the trouble of motion-capturing a crawl just for this one-in-a-million scenario that 99.99% of players will never ever see.

Also, pressing LB while unarmed in a car will make the character flip the finger. Press it while pressing right stick you can flip off people behind you. Sometimes this will cause npcs to get road rage and chase after you.

Jamie OD

The DJ for the rock station says good morning if you listen to it in the early hours.

Edit: Got one the just happened to me. Sometimes when you crash into another car, the driver becomes an enemy and is represented as a red dot on the map. I got out of my car and the guy charged towards me until he saw I was holding a gun. He ran off scared and the red dot on the map disappeared.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of those automatic doors wouldn't open while I was on foot, it wanted a car. So I kicked the door and the side that I kicked opened up before quickly closing.
The DJ for the rock station says good morning if you listen to it in the early hours.

The hip hop guy has said 'having a good night' too.

Switching to Trevor has really weird scenes sometimes. Earlier on, he was on top of a part of the mountain wearing a dress. Should have taken a picture lol.

nib95

Banned

I'm guessing the person shot that in to the wall?

BUotgI3CMAAU4Fn.jpg

wizzbang

Banned
One of those automatic doors wouldn't open while I was on foot, it wanted a car. So I kicked the door and the side that I kicked opened up before quickly closing.

The hip hop guy has said 'having a good night' too.

That's awesome (night / day) for their intros! ? fucking detail +++++
I am REALLY into this driving first person view at the moment, it's so fucking immersive. - I just drove in the rain under a bridge, the rain stops - awesome.

While I was hunting as Trevor. I killed a Wolf pup, I look away for a few second to text my GF back thinking nothing was gonna happen to me. I was dead wrong, the Pups mom jumped out of nowhere and bit Trevor on the neck... It was an instant death, plus it scared the shit out of me.

wizzbang

Banned
Just did a parachuting mission, landed on a truck - we stopped the mission outside a random car repair store at night.

I go in there and the detail is ridiculous - they could have all car repair stores look like a pay n spray - nope, there's 3 car lifts, engine jacks, car jacks, trolleys of tools, oil posters up, oil cans - the place looks like the inside of a real car shop. It's a random, meaningless building just sitting there, you can't buy it, it doesn't fix stuff for the player but the detail is off tap.

This game is continually blowing my mind.

Once as Trevor I approached a group of people on the beach and made them uncomfortable. One of the men said he was calling the cops and he did...I beat him to death.

Another Time I was goofing around and hot the cops on me, I went to Floyd's gfs place and hid in the bedroom. I thought I was clear so I walked out the bedroom, and was face to face with a cop with a shotgun. I beat him up but he radioed for backup and they didn't skip a beat on the way over.

The attention to detail of the sunsets and rises is extraordinary. I don't think I have seen 2 that are alike yet after probably weeks of in game time.

wizzbang

Banned
Ok wow, another one - I'm in Melbourne, Australia - but it only just occured to me, the sun goes down over the beach on the West Coast! and they modelled that too! - (sun goes down in the west)

wizzbang

Banned
Greyhound bus driver just pulled up at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere, he's got out and he's having a cigarette.

- Giving a stolen purse back to a young woman, she thanks me and as she's about to walk away a guy walking past looks at her and yells "you look like a fucking tranny"

- Pranking the Fire Brigade as Trevor. Sending them to the place where you play darts, they look around and see there is no fire, they shake their heads as they get back into the truck.

- I don't know if this is said under any circumstance anyway but I went with a hooker as Michael. Then I went to one of the Therapist sessions and he told him he went with a hooker. I was like "holy shit"

I am not even half way through the missions but I get this sad, not wanting it to end. Blown away

Jedi2016

Drive a car in the surf (just a few inches deep), and you'll see the tires push the water out of the way, so there's only dirt in the tire treads, but water on both sides. I don't think I've ever seen a game do that one before.

The dirt flying off the tires is pretty impressive, too.. I've seen racing games with less realistic tire dirt.

Speaking of dirt, cars get dirty over time, especially if you drive them off-road in the desert area.

It's all this stuff that makes this the absolute king of open-world games. All these little details, and even the mere fact of three playable characters, all adds together to make LS a living, breathing city. Hell, my PS3's off right now, and somehow it seems that the city is still churning away down there.

wizzbang

Banned
Weather/lightning effect.

I was driving downtown and had the sun right in my direction and i had the same dazzling effect i have in real life.

Go out in a boat on the ocean and take a look at the sun reflection.
I tried to get a shot of it here.
http://prod.cloud.rockstargames.com/ugc/gta5photo/6423/hp-h1MDakkKBuzRiVPzxLQ/0_0.jpg unfortunately they drop the resolution of the photos for the "instagram effect" and add fake interlacing - it's kind of hilarious but sucks! I want to show people just how amazing this game is.

wizzbang

Banned
Cooling metal rattling sound when you turn off your car.

Yep that blew me the fuck away - I heard it first time 3/4 up Mt Chilead after calmly getting off a quad bike and it slowly ticked down. Didn't know cars did it but it makes sense.
I want to fuck this game.

EDIT:
and another one - the waves will push your dinby / boat (light ones) back towards the shore if you're idle..........

Is there a list of all the pseudo hidden controls in the game? Like how attacking with L1 while unarmed in a car has you giving people the finger, or the insult button, or putting on your bike helmet?

As a Los Angeles resident the attention to detail is hard to comprehend at times. Some parts of the city are perfectly recreated. And the entire map just feels familiar.

-Opening a car door at night and the interior light comes on.

-Leaving a car door open and walking away you can still hear the radio station.

PHOTOSHOP

all the graphic design in the game. All the logos and shirt/clothing designs looks legit. Some of Franklins outfit, i would wear in real life

Top Bottom