• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - The little details that caught your attention?

Dropped off a special car at the garage to store it, got into another car outside just as it started raining. I sat there for 10 minutes in silence listening to the rain beating off the car and watching the drops splash on the ground as NPCs went about their business.

I love the atmospheric stuff in this game.

sqwarlock

I jumped in the bed of a pickup as it was stopped at a red light, and the driver said something along the lines of, "That's it, I'm calling the cops now." He then reaches for his phone, dials, and says that he needs the police there immediately. Sure enough, 1-star wanted level and now I had to kill him and steal his truck to make a clean getaway.

That wasn't the first time that I'd heard someone threaten to call the police and follow-through, but it was the oddest circumstance so far.

wizzbang

Banned
Ok guys, yet another one - colour me crazy but the ripples in the road which vibrate when you drive on them?
If you drive your RIGHT wheels on them but not the left wheels - the controller vibrates primarily on the right side?!

If you drive with your LEFT wheels on them but not the right - it's about 50/50 (I think that's the best they can do, because they are different motor types)

Colour me fucking insane but do we even have "stereo" controller vibration? Tell me I'm imagining this one because for fucks sake......................? wow?

elfinke

Haha, awesome. I assume you know the probable real life inspiration?

[/IMG]http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/3427670079_fa8f403233_b.jpg[/IMG]

Haha, yep. Filled me with joy seeing the Los Santos re-creation. And game is just filled with stuff like this, Sessler saying that this game will be the touchstone-piece of the smartphone era of civilisation in the way Dickens novels are for their periods is spot on. Every Internet meme worth knowing about, every cultural reference worth (or perhaps not worth...) knowing about is contained in this game it would seem. Just sensational.

komplanen

I liked how in the butchery you can shoot those vats full of pigs and blood comes out of the bullet holes and pools on the ground.

stef t97

Colour me fucking insane but do we even have "stereo" controller vibration? Tell me I'm imagining this one because for fucks sake......................? wow?

Yeah we do. There's a motor in each handle of the controller. So one on the left and one on the right.

Pedestrians will run to cross the street if the crossing light is about to change. Watched a woman do that and she slowed back down once she crossed in the most believable way.

Ambitious

I chuckled when I noticed you could flip people off when you press the shoot button while you're in a vehicle with no weapon equipped.

Sinfamy

It's probably just me, but when I have country music accidentally playing on the radio while driving through Trevor's starting area, I totally get a Fallout New Vegas vibe. I wish the entire San Andreas map was re created.

Also, why can't chop swim??? He drowned in my pool.

Loads of little things. I noticed yesterday during a mission that Michael sat down on a couch which had a cloth over it, and the cloth moved naturally and the couch reacted to his weight rather than just being a solid model. Completely unnecessary detail that almost nobody will consciously notice.

I also love the feel of cars on different terrain. Driving down a road and then pulling onto grass or sand, or the gaps in a road drain feels different just from the sounds and rumble alone. And the tyre tracks left in sand, with a bit of sand dragged onto the road when you go back on look great.

I love the fact that if you're in a car and a person is talking to you and you crash, they will remark and then continue with what they were saying rather than cutting off the dialog.

This is one of the top things from what I have seen so far, makes them seem a lot more real then just reading recordings while shit happens.

I tried taking a selfie with an old man waiting for the chiliad cable car, he called the cops and I had run up the mountain because I couldn't take the car wanted :/ I love how people react different to little things like that.

UnrealEck

Random encounter:

I was going to a hunting spot somewhere near a forest when I heard a car horn blaring. I went to check it out and there was a little circular area with several pickup trucks and a couple of cars. There was also several bodies lying around and some in the cars all with gunshots on them.
I went down the hill and there was a guy still alive, crawling. Another guy was near him I think sitting down leaning against his car's wheel. There was a silver case on the ground between the two guys and I walked over to it. One of the guys said something like "don't fucking touch that case." So I took it and he said something like "you're a dead man." So I shot them both and left with $25,000.

-Opening a car door at night and the interior light comes on.

-Leaving a car door open and walking away you can still hear the radio station.

Is that second thing glitched or something? Because for me, it usually shuts off when I leave a car, and only rarely can I still hear it playing. Sometimes. you can hear it in cutscenes, which is a nice touch.

The way the AI reacts to the world is pretty well done too.

Was walking along a park area overlooking the city and there was a real nice sunset going on. I see a group of 4-5 people standing around talking, then someone goes " look at that! " and they turn to see the sunset and all take out their cell phones and start taking pictures.

I've seen guys walking along the beach and a woman will walk by, they turn around to stare and even sometimes take out their cell phones and snap a photo lol. Stuff like that.

Im guessing this isn't all that random but (about 45% spoiler):
was playing as Franklin and switched over to Michael. By this time his family have left him and when the switch occurred I found him suddenly turning around, leaving a motel, saying something like: "No, I can't do this. This doesn't feel right".

Fuckin' love the switch moments.

Pooya

running on the beach as Franklin saw a dog walking in some direction, a good bit later, farther from beach, a woman asks me if I've seen her dog and Franklin answers it was on the beach.

I like to know how much script and voice acting this game has had, it's just insane, there is so much.

Tomallica

Neo Member
Switching to trevor. Woke up on a beach just in his underpants surrounded by dead bodies.

michaels shoes getting sand on them as he ran across the beach.

so many great little things in this game

Rizsparky

I was playing around with the stun gun and I am pretty sure I saw a few people pissing themselves after I shocked them. Maybe I'll go stun a few more people to check.

Not sure if this has been mentioned since I'm too lazy to read through the million things that caught your attention :), but while I was walking in my combat boots I could hear the leather squeak. Even while he stood still just looking around, I could hear it as he shifted his weight around.

venom2124

Random encounter:

I was going to a hunting spot somewhere near a forest when I heard a car horn blaring. I went to check it out and there was a little circular area with several pickup trucks and a couple of cars. There was also several bodies lying around and some in the cars all with gunshots on them.
I went down the hill and there was a guy still alive, crawling. Another guy was near him I think sitting down leaning against his car's wheel. There was a silver case on the ground between the two guys and I walked over to it. One of the guys said something like "don't fucking touch that case." So I took it and he said something like "you're a dead man." So I shot them both and left with $25,000.
That's amazing. Sounds like the beginning of No Country for Old Men.

Symphonia

Banned
Random encounter:

That happened to me, except I got killed when I did what you did.

Gigarator

I was riding a motorcycle and pressed the left bumper, at which point Michael flipped the bird to The Lost bikers in the lane opposite who then proceeded to get pissed off and shoot me.

Random encounter:

One of my favorite random events.

It's pretty much directly ripped from No Country for Old Men, right down to the model of truck, dead dogs and the dead body pressing down the horn. Guys in a truck even start chasing you down after you drive away!

Funnily enough, I think the sound effect used for the suppressed pump shotgun is the same as Anton Chigurh's.

bj00rn_

Banned
iMwZko1Cpcro4.gif

saw this on reddit

LOL

R*'s Tour de Force..

They are in a completely different league than any other developer in the world when it comes to attention to detail.

not sure if mentioned but when it rains the road does not become immediately soaked and after a little bit there's puddles on the road and the tires kick up water as well as losing some traction.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I once switched to Trevor asleep in a trash bin. Yeah.... That was odd. Another time he was flirting with a girl. >_>;

My favourite was the first time I switched to Trevor after you "unlock" him. He was throwing a Lost member off a bridge. Most times after that he's in an argument because he just got kicked out of somewhere.

not sure if mentioned but when it rains the road does not become immediately soaked and after a little bit there's puddles on the road and the tires kick up water as well as losing some traction.

Go stand somewhere flat with a lot of grass when it's raining, too. Eventually water starts pooling.

Fjordson

I was driving away from a mission as Trevor and the car I stole was tuned to the Non-Stop Pop FM station. Seemed funny for Trevor to be listening to it, and sure enough after about 10 seconds he yelled "this fuckin' music is all wrong!" or something to that effect and then he switched it to the punk rock station :lol

elfinke

Random encounter:

There's a follow up to that encounter, too. Be ready for it!

li bur

I'm doing a mission for franklin to accompany lamar (and trevor) to buy drugs. I think the place for the drug transaction highly resembles CJ's neighborhood in san andreas.

Is this really the case? Or am I imagining things?

Alienous

I'm doing a mission for franklin to accompany lamar (and trevor) to buy drugs. I think the place for the drug transaction highly resembles CJ's neighborhood in san andreas.

Is this really the case? Or am I imagining things?

'Tis indeed Grove Street.

During the mission
I Fought the Law
once you switch to Trevor and Michael sitting on their cop bikes you'll see Michael throw a donut on the ground just before starting their pursuit.

When you start taking photos of the
air conditioning unit
with Michael for the start of the first heist, I was actually confused on where to go to take the photos even if there was a mark on the radar indicating where I had to go.

There was a higher part of the building that was in front of me, and due to me having played Uncharted 3 before playing GTAV, I tried making the jump but Michael ended up falling down and hurting himself.

I laughed, but then I realized that this was the more realistic approach. A man in his late 30s/early 40s that isn't too active would have not been able to make such a jump; then again, the physics in the Uncharted universe aren't too realistic.

Jafku

One time I was playing as Franklin and left my car in the middle of the road. As i'm walking with my back turned to the car I notice that someone gets into my car and drives off. Someone jacked my car. I could not believe it. It doesn't feel good when its you on the other side of that :(

One time I was playing as Franklin and left my car in the middle of the road. As i'm walking with my back turned to the car I notice that someone gets into my car and drives off. Someone jacked my car. I could not believe it. It doesn't feel good when its you on the other side of that :(

This used to happen all the time to me in San Andreas.

Actually, when my sister used to play it would always be a certain character model with a striped shirt. Once, the "man in the striped shirt" stole my sister's newly customized low-rider and ran off with it. My sister tried chasing him on foot and eventually caught up to the guy: the guy was standing near the low rider but the low rider was half-buried into the concrete somehow in a weird assed glitch. :lol

Jafku

This used to happen all the time to me in San Andreas.

Actually, when my sister used to play it would always be a certain character model with a striped shirt. Once, the "man in the striped shirt" stole my sister's newly customized low-rider and ran off with it. My sister tried chasing him on foot and eventually caught up to the guy: the guy was standing near the low rider but the low rider was half-buried into the concrete somehow in a weird assed glitch. :lol
Really? I never had it happen to me before. I was pissed

I like how the safe houses change a bit according to what's going on in the story. Like how Trevor's got a beer can under his pillow and magazines everywhere, but when
Patricia is living with him
, the bed's made up and the magazines are put away neatly.

todahawk

I pulled into a parking spot not too far from the beach with Trevor and sat there for a moment because I wanted to hear the rest of the song... and as i'm sitting there another car comes up and starts to parallel park the spot in front of me... Backwards, forward, adjust, adjust, forward, turn the wheel, overcorrect.

At this point I'm like WTF, this dude can't park for shit... I swivel the camera and it's a blonde woman. This keeps going on... and on... and on. She can't park the fucking car! But i don't think it was glitched because every fucking attempt was different. At this point I am sitting on my couch laughing my ass off. She just kept going and kept fucking every attempt up.

Then I swear to god I hear the blonde yelling out from her car "ummm, can someone please help me?!"

edit: i captured some of it on my (real) phone, i'll have to upload the vid

elfinke

I like how the safe houses change a bit according to what's going on in the story. Like how Trevor's got a beer can under his pillow and magazines everywhere, but when
Patricia is living with him
, the bed's made up and the magazines are put away neatly.

Yep, this is a fantastic touch. Similarly, watching the LS house dilapidate over time.

Trevor reminds me of 'Frank' from US Shameless a great deal, particularly when he is delivering self-aggrandising speeches and covering himself in glory, despite being clothed in shit and bringing down everyone around him. It's magnificent.

Top Bottom