• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTTV Revealing New Sony Game "Very Soon", More

BeeDog

Speaking of which, has there been ANY mention of Syphon Filter actually existing outside of that Mo-cap-something studio Portfolio post? Seems it's just wishful thinking by most; I doubt that Sony Bend will add anything to the PS3 at this stage.

Psychotext said:
Perhaps they expected something that wasn't from Zipper? (Who after all only just released a game)

the epitome of my feelings right now.

other sony IP's are long overdue- not talking about sony studios specifically. (ie: when a third party develops and sony just publishes and owns the IP)

Duelist

While I am ecstatic for Socom 4, a little part of me cries because I know it's not the Legend of Dragoon sequel/remake.

yurinka

gofreak said:
If Sony Bend is making a syphon filter for PS3, it's not like they'll pack it in now that Zipper's announced a new socom. If that's happening it's happening, if it's not it's not.

This is silly. What do you expect, Zipper to come out apologetically to announce their games?

I wanted this to be Starhawk - badly - but I know Starhawk's day in the limelight will come.

If you wanna take one good thing from this as a shooter hater, at least you can reckon on the next announcement being less likely to be 'another f-ing shooter' now that this announcement's out of the way.
I think they announced SOCOM now because they want to announce their good games in E3: Killzone, Motorstorm, Starhawk, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, Infamous 2 etc in addition to Arc games and 3D games.

With SOCOM wouldn't be a stellar conference. I think it's better to announce it now, show screenshots, videos etc and ignore it in E3.

Zen

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Socom has always been the most active online community on the playstation side for as long as I can remember. Last time I heard it was more busy then COD/kz2/Resistance etc. I don't know if mag or uncharted 2 have changed things. I doubt it.
The socom community is its own community.

Are you saying that COnfrontation is more active than those games? I highly doubt that.

But in its heyday (Socom 2) there were more people playing it online than all of Xbox Live (this is before Halo 2 mind you, but still).

That said I really never cared for Socom, so eh.

Garjon

yurinka said:
I think they announced SOCOM now because they want to announce their good games in E3: Killzone, Motorstorm, Starhawk, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, etc
Well according to SamBishop, there's set to be quite a few announcements at GDC.

yurinka

Garjon said:
Well according to SamBishop, there's set to be quite a few announcements at GDC.
If they aren't Arc release games, I supouse there will be at closed doors, to get feedback for E3. Or maybe they are announced to the public there (maybe a logo, a screenshot or a little teaser), but I'm pretty sure they aren't to show them until E3.

I think a lot of people forget that the SOCOM games on PS2 sold in the multi-millions worldwide.

Even the later SOCOM games (like AFTER the second game).

J-Rzez

yurinka said:
I think they announced SOCOM now because they want to announce their good games in E3: Killzone, Motorstorm, Starhawk, Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal, Infamous 2 etc in addition to Arc games and 3D games.

With SOCOM wouldn't be a stellar conference. I think it's better to announce it now, show screenshots, videos etc and ignore it in E3.

You are mad. So so mad. It's a premier franchise you don't like that millions others do. So mad.

Cold-Steel said:
I think a lot of people forget that the SOCOM games on PS2 sold in the multi-millions worldwide.

Yeah they do. But it's fun watching the rage though. Like the other one I quoted.

yurinka

J-Rzez said:
You are mad. So so mad. It's a premier franchise you don't like that millions others do. So mad.
Cold-Steel said:

I know some of them sold more than a million copies. Not only in PS2, in PSP too. In US maybe it's popular.

But I really doubt any SOCOM game had decent sales in Japan or Europe. For me (an European who doesn't like most of the FPS) it's a random shooter that looks like "join the US army" propaganda.

Garjon

yurinka said:
If they aren't Arc release games, I supouse there will be at closed doors, to get feedback for E3.
Eh, I suppose you're right.

While I'm here, I'd just like to express my surprise at this announcement. I never thought Sony would announce a new SOCOM this soon. I mean, what else will the plan to release at the end of the year shooter wise? There's going to be a LOT of competition this holiday season either way. Looks like little chance of a new Syphon Filter or Starhawk being announced too soon :(

After Confrontation, I'm a little bit skeptical about another SOCOM, but I may be willing to give it a try depending on the other releases. Speaking of which, I assume a beta is more or less guaranteed?

yurinka

Garjon said:
Eh, I suppose you're right.

While I'm here, I'd just like to express my surprise at this announcement. I never thought Sony would announce a new SOCOM this soon. I mean, what else will the plan to release at the end of the year shooter wise? There's going to be a LOT of competition this holiday season either way. Looks like little chance of a new Syphon Filter or Starhawk being announced too soon :(

After Confrontation, I'm a little bit skeptical about another SOCOM, but I may be willing to give it a try depending on the other releases. Speaking of which, I assume a beta is more or less guaranteed?
What I really doubt is they want to face Halo Reach with SOCOM instead of Killzone 3 :lol :lol :lol

Pistolero

yurinka said:
What I really doubt is they want to face Halo Reach with SOCOM instead of Killzone 3 :lol :lol :lol

Especially that the next Socom could very well sell better than a potential KZ3 ? Unless you insist on production values...

I honestly have to believe a lot of the backlash comes from people joining this generation when it started, not before it.

I mean let's face it - if you fell in love with PlayStation playing titles like:

Warhawk, Resistance: Fall of Man, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

You're not going to be excited when a SOCOM title is announced. Why? Because the ONLY SOCOM title on PS3 is absolute garbage.

But if you have been around long enough to experience the days of USB headsets, having to push a fucking button to talk AND taking turns doing it AND experiencing cheaters and no patches and what many consider the "good old days"...

Then SOCOM 4 is the most exciting game on the planet right now. For me, shit just got real.

J-Rzez

Garjon said:

This SOCOM is being made by the creators of it, not the same people who made Conf and dragged the name through mud, and to some, far worse substances.

Foil

BeeDog said:
Speaking of which, has there been ANY mention of Syphon Filter actually existing outside of that Mo-cap-something studio Portfolio post? Seems it's just wishful thinking by most; I doubt that Sony Bend will add anything to the PS3 at this stage.

Could be wishful thinking. I hope it's in development though. With stuff like Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Starhawk, and now Socom 4 coming I just don't know. I'm thinking we might not get a Syphon Filter anytime soon, if at all sadly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lard said:
This.

Holy Christ, can we have a little variety this gen please?
You know, and this goes for bunch other people in this thread, if there is one publisher these days that you cannot possibly scorn for the lack of experimentation and variety, it's SCE. I couldn't give a rat's ass about any of the Socom games, but complaining about lack variety from them is simply ridiculous.

Akainu said:
I know that but what about the dancing.
It's one of winning moves from UC2 multiplayer.

WrikaWrek said:
Let me be perfectly clear, i'm not tryin to trash the game.
Is that why you said this game will be filler, how Socom was only good because there was nothing better on PS2, and how because of that Zipper is now irrelevant? Could have fooled me.

NameIess said:
Socom using the Uncharted engine, count me in day one!!!
image.php

Damn, it doesn't work. :(

NameIess said:
Socom using the Uncharted engine, count me in day one!!!

And throw away all that work they put into the MAG engine :lol
The game looks fine for pre alpha but they should at least try and get that cloth texture tech from uc2.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Pistolero said:
Especially that the next Socom could very well sell better than a potential KZ3 ? Unless you insist on production values...

In the US. I really can't imagine a new SOCOM game lighting up the charts in Europe and Japan.

Cruzader

Banned
yurinka said:
I dont get why an FPS has to go against Halo from Sony's side. Like Halo will beat KZ3 in sales if both came out in the same month. I dont get why the need for competition. I think Socom is a stronger franchise then KZ and will do fine whenever it comes out. But again, I dont get why KZ3 has to be launched on Reach's launch.

Is it because ppls want PS3's sales to go up that month so it dont get beaten by 360 numbers that bad?? Or they want KZ3 software sales to beat Halo's sales??(lol) What could KZ3 do to Reach's launch?

If you really care about the game, you'd rather the game all the time it needs, no rushing of any sorts or anything and get a good release date.

TheOddOne

I'll drop this here:

Sony GDC 2010 Press Conference Live On G4tv.com
You probably haven’t heard us mention it yet, but next week is GDC 2010. And as you’d expect, G4 is going to be covering the paint right off that place, and you better believe that includes everything from breaking news to press events.

Speaking of which, G4tv.com will be streaming the entirety of Sony’s GDC Press Conference starting at 7PM EST on March 10. What does Sony have up their collective sleeve? We could see some possible game announcements, and a new demonstration of their new motion controller, but the only way to find out for sure is to tune in and watch it unfold live...so...do that.

Attack of the Show will also be breaking in live to the press event as well, so if you feel like watching some of the press conference on your TV, then G4 once again has you covered. You're welcome.

For those who like bookmarking pages in advance, head over to our GDC 2010 page and prepare yourself.

Top Bottom