• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX TITAN Z announced $2999

AJLma

Power draw should be right around 500W actually.

No, it would not be a more powerful solution for a gaming rig than those.

the Titan Z will cost $3000, although it will provide 5760 CUDA cores with two Kepler cores inside of it, 12GB of memory, and 8 teraflops of computing power. Oh, and it will consume 2000 watts by itself.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2111540/nvidia-announces-pascal-gpu-3k-titan-z-graphics-card.html

Got that figure from here, I thought that it couldn't be right. This card really makes no sense from a gaming perspective.

Zaph

Now I'm not exactly up to date on all of my info, but can't a regular Titan basically run everything on ultra anyway?
Under 'normal' conditions? Mostly, yeah. But these cards aren't for people who are interested in locking 1080p @ 60fps.

It's for the crazies with multi-monitor set-ups, 4K, <8ms frame times for their 120hz+ screens etc.

Hell, I'm pretty sure people on this very forum have said that a single Titan can struggle getting some games to push 1440p@60fps with Ultra settings.

30IR

Banned
Under 'normal' conditions? Mostly, yeah. But these cards aren't for people who are interested in locking 1080p @ 60fps.

It's for the crazies with multi-monitor set-ups, 4K, <8ms frame times for their 120hz+ screens etc.

Hell, I'm pretty sure people on this very forum have said that a single Titan can struggle getting some games to push 1440p@60fps with Ultra settings.

Hey, who are you calling crazy!? :D

4K Surround FTW!

2ca0fbe8_iGIixn5ssFMZM.jpeg

I'm using 4-Way GTX-Titan SC.

The Titan "Z" is the GTX-690 version of the Titan Black. It still has 'only' 6GB per GPU (still not enough for 4K Surround) and since it's on the same PCB (dual GPU), it's OC'ing ability will be stunted compared to two separate GTX-Titan Blacks in SLI.

To top it off, this "Z" is $1000 more than two GTX-Titan Black. LOL.. same compute performance, same VRAM, and same number of CUDA cores.

Poor Jen-Hsun, he needs gas money for his Koenigsegg CCX. XD

Oxn

4K Surround FTW!

The Titan "Z" is the GTX-690 version of the Titan Black. It still has 'only' 6GB per GPU (still not enough for 4K Surround) and since it's on the same PCB (dual GPU), it's OC'ing ability will be stunted compared to two separate GTX-Titan Blacks in SLI.

To top it off, this "Z" is $1000 more than two GTX-Titan Black. LOL.. same compute performance, same VRAM, and same number of CUDA cores.

So are you saying you wont buy one?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm genuinely supprised the CEO didn't make a crypto-currency joke about how the card is well worth its value in bit coins.

This is about as powerful as two Titans right?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
We could all split the cost and sign off on visiting hours with the card. That's a lot for one video card, but it sure would be nice to have.

Water

It doesn't exactly take a crazy person to to have a single 1440p screen or a single 1080p 120+Hz screen. A single 780Ti or Titan will mostly not be enough to lock a new game's framerate at Ultra/maxed settings in those scenarios.

Zaph

It doesn't exactly take a crazy person to to have a single 1440p screen or a single 1080p 120+Hz screen. A single 780Ti or Titan will mostly not be enough to lock a new game's framerate at Ultra/maxed settings in those scenarios.
Jesus. The crazies part was a joke. I have a 1440p monitor. I put a brand new 4770k in a vice and hit it with a hammer. I'm willing to drop over a grand on just a GPU. I'm one of the crazies.

I was illustrating a point that hardware like this is for the massive enthusiasts with disposable income only.

Rather buy 2 Titan Black, save $1000, and have it look more awesome in my case.

Lets look at the highest end, you have 4 PCI-express slots, would you want 4 GPU's or 8? That's the advantage to Titan-Z's. For people who are going to be maximizing the amount of GPU's in their system, not every day consumers. In some peoples minds that is worth the $1000 premium.

The Titan line isn't really intended for gaming, is it? Its often talked about like it is among journalists but I recall reading that isn't really what they're made for...

The Titans are cut-down Teslas. They have FP64 performance that is off the charts (which is what seperates the Titan Black and 780 Ti). They are amazing are things like rendering and other workstation tasks, Nvidia made a huge marketting push towards gamers because the people who want Tesla's took one look at the spec sheet of Titan and had one thing to say, "what a fucking steal". See, the next closest competitor to the GTX Titan at the time of launch was the Tesla K20, with a nice price tag of ~$3-5000. So when Titans launched at $1000, people scooped them up because they couldn't afford K20's. They have acceptable high-end gaming performance as well, which lead to Nvidia marketting them to gamers to try and please the pissing contest crowd.

Drain You

Lets look at the highest end, you have 4 PCI-express slots, would you want 4 GPU's or 8? That's the advantage to Titan-Z's. For people who are going to be maximizing the amount of GPU's in their system, not every day consumers. In some peoples minds that is worth the $1000 premium.

I'm pretty sure as others have stated that is not possible. Maybe I misunderstood.

Hawk269

I don't get why they are asking $3,000 for this card. It is 2 Titan Blacks on one board, it should be around 2k, not 3k. Maybe I am missing something.

Renekton

I think the OP needs to make it very clear that this is NOT A GAMING CARD. Its a development card, used for work stations, render farms and super computers. Its been very obvious if you have been watching the stream but still people went bezerk.
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/titan-z/

"Built around two Kepler GPUs and 12GB of dedicated frame buffer memory, TITAN Z is engineered for next-generation 5K and multi-monitor gaming"

trollolol

Cuyejo

I think the OP needs to make it very clear that this is NOT A GAMING CARD. Its a development card, used for work stations, render farms and super computers. Its been very obvious if you have been watching the stream but still people went bezerk.

Compared to a typical Quadro card this is dirt cheap (3000$ for the TitanZ compared to 5000$ for a Quadro)

Yes it is, an overpriced, completely ridiculous, gaming card. Professional grade GPUs (Quadro, FirePro) high price tag comes mostly from the specialized driver development and support rather than the hardware itself.

BWJinxing

If this card is just another 2 chips with an internal SLi configuration, totally not interested. especially at that price.

Now if they took the time and made 2 chips work as one, then id be open to getting one used one day.

Hawk269

Have any more specific specs been revealed as of yet? I am interested to know if they will incorporate HDMI 2.0.

4K Surround FTW!

While that is impressive the monitor edges would drive me nuts.

Atomski

that affordable pc gaming i hear so much about. nothing but the best gaming pc hardware , and at such an affordable price too!

I hope people realize this isnt really for most consumers.. this is more for commercial use.

Most people (unless just stupid rich) are would invest in this expecting profit out of it, video editing, designing and so on.

Animator

I hope people realize this isnt really for most consumers.. this is more for commercial use.

Most people (unless just stupid rich) are would invest in this expecting profit out of it, video editing, designing and so on.

This is useless for most professional applications since not a single 3d application supports SLI. It is just a overpriced card that will sell to the "must have latest!" crowd. You can wait six months and buy the gforce version for $700.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yes it is, an overpriced, completely ridiculous, gaming card. Professional grade GPUs (Quadro, FirePro) high price tag comes mostly from the specialized driver development and support rather than the hardware itself.
They didn't nerf the compute performance. If they priced it low this GPU would eat away at their workstation/super computing profits. They market it as a gaming part but I think that's the secondary market rather than the primary one.

sirap

This is useless for most professional applications since not a single 3d application supports SLI. It is just a overpriced card that will sell to the "must have latest!" crowd. You can wait six months and buy the gforce version for $700.

The main audience for Titans are rendering artists. AFAIK Octane scales linearly with how many gpu's you have. I'm more of a Redshift guy though, anything more than 2 doesn't really change much. Hopefully this will change in the future.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
12 gb... guess they are getting ready for 4k+ resolution multi screen setups. Too bad the card most likely has issues rendering those resolution at a constant 60+ fps on current gen games.

I hope this is just a computing card and not aimed at gamers... otherwise these guys totally lost it. Welcome to SNK fantasy land ;)

Top Bottom