• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX TITAN Z announced $2999

Zaph

These were off of SLI Titans...which is what the Titan Z will be:
Gorgeous.

Our conference room multiplexer allows us to make the bezel edges sit 'on top' of the image, rather than split the image (if that makes sense). Even though you're missing small parts of the image, it looks much more natural. Do Nvidia drivers allow for that?

FACE

Banned
By the time PS3 launched, Nvidia launched his legendary 8 series, the 8800 to be more specific, wich was slightly better than both GPUs on the 360 and PS3.

If I recall correctly a 8800GTX was way more powerful than the GPUs on the 360 and the PS3.

Gorgeous.

Our conference room multiplexer allows us to make the bezel edges sit 'on top' of the image, rather than split the image (if that makes sense). Even though you're missing small parts of the image, it looks much more natural. Do Nvidia drivers allow for that?
Yes. Playing games without the bezel correction just looks weird.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
These were off of SLI Titans...which is what the Titan Z will be:

AFAIK, the Titan has only 14 SMX (2688 ALUs) activated while the Titan Z has two fully activated GK110 chips with 2x15 SMX (2x2880 ALUs). So it's slightly more powerful than two Titans in SLI configuration, assuming that the clock speeds are the same.

Maybe the interconnect between both chips is more efficient as well. Do we have information on that? How do dual GPU cards like the 690 work? Do they have a "emulated" PCIe interconnect or something else?

Hawk269

I didn't know there were any 4K sets with DisplayPort, so that Panasonic can do 60Hz?

Yup and it is glorious too! Too bad all the sets I tried had horrid banding issues and I don't think I know anyone that has gotten one that did not have a banding issue. From all accounts, the 4 vertical bands line up with the support beams that they built into the set and these lines appear in the image.

I loved the set for the short time I had it and 4k @60fps was really nice, but the vertical bands killed it because they were way too apparent. When I took the set back to Best Buy they plugged it in and saw the bands almost immediately. Outside of that, to me it had the best picture of any of the 4k sets and the only set with displayport to allow 4k@60fps.

kyser73

An article on The Register reckons the main buyers of these cards will be academics looking for cheap HPC solutions & desktop supercomputers.

Damn tho, three grand.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
An article on The Register reckons the main buyers of these cards will be academics looking for cheap HPC solutions & desktop supercomputers.

Damn tho, three grand.

As I posted just above:

For a different perspective, here's FXGuide's writeup for Day 1:

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/gpu-tech-conference-day-1-report/

On the new Titan card:

Gamers will probably balk at the $3,000 price tag, which is well over double the cost of a single Titan. But for post pros looking for more CUDA processing power, that’s chump change. Needless to say, we want one.

Interesting graph... even more interesting when you look at the far left, where the PS3 was released, seemed like the PS3 was equivalentish to a high end PC GPU. Is that accurate?

Doesn't bode well for this generation in terms of pushing the graphics envelope in years to come.

Yes ps3/x360 had gpu as powerfull as strongest cards at that time.

It wasn't until GF 8800 release before we had affordable much stronger gpus in pc space.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^360 was in some ways ahead with unified shaders. PS3 had a 7800.

AFAIK, the Titan has only 14 SMX (2688 ALUs) activated while the Titan Z has two fully activated GK110 chips with 2x15 SMX (2x2880 ALUs). So it's slightly more powerful than two Titans in SLI configuration, assuming that the clock speeds are the same.

Maybe the interconnect between both chips is more efficient as well. Do we have information on that? How do dual GPU cards like the 690 work? Do they have a "emulated" PCIe interconnect or something else?

The new Titan Black has a full GK110 and ofc the much cheaper 780 ti for those who don't need double precision.

Durante

For a different perspective, here's FXGuide's writeup for Day 1:

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/gpu-tech-conference-day-1-report/

On the new Titan card:
Well, I can understand them. We quite recently bought 12 HPC server nodes, >10000€ each, with 2 Tesla K20x. One of these has more processing power than those Teslas :p

Interesting graph... even more interesting when you look at the far left, where the PS3 was released, seemed like the PS3 was equivalentish to a high end PC GPU. Is that accurate?

Doesn't bode well for this generation in terms of pushing the graphics envelope in years to come.
That's not the PS3, that's the 360 in 2005. And yeah, the 360 was pretty close at its release date.

Well, I can understand them. We quite recently bought 12 HPC server nodes, >10000€ each, with 2 Tesla K20x. One of these has more processing power than those Teslas :p
Yeah, beats my K40 from the looks of it. Don't even have the memory advantage because unlike for gaming, compute will treat the chips separately and they'll each have 6GB which you can spread the working set across. :(
Pretty much just a coaster now.

I think this is bad news for the videocard market. It's like nvidia is conditioning people into buying more expensive cards, they have reason now with the bitcoin craze. 3k is the new enthusiast, 1k is medium, 500 dollar is entry level in a few years.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think this is bad news for the videocard market. It's like nvidia is conditioning people into buying more expensive cards, they have reason now with the bitcoin craze. 3k is the new enthusiast, 1k is medium, 500 dollar is entry level in a few years.
I guess I can get 3k a month, but good bye fundamentals for living.

And if I'm actually not interested in this, I'll take the 1k bargain. :] . . . :(

frostyxc

I purchased what I thought was a Titan Z, but I was surprised to find a giant mech on my porch. Anyone want to trade? Any interesting trades considered...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think this is bad news for the videocard market.

Maybe for the standard consumer, but it's a great deal for the professional/research/academic side. Nvidia's obviously trying to get some of the consumer market to bite with the branding/marketing.

Top Bottom