• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardian: 'E3 diversity report - so was it a white guy-fest again?'

Asriel

I never attempted to shut down a diversity argument.

I was arguing against anyone who would make the dumb claim that devs like CDPR don't add an important new diverse outlook for the industry.

But y'all were right. CDPR don't add anything new, and we shouldn't look to cultivate more talent in Eastern Europe.

:heavy sigh:

I was arguing against anyone who would make the dumb claim that devs like CDPR don't add an important new diverse outlook for the industry.

But y'all were right. CDPR don't add anything new, and we shouldn't look to cultivate more talent in Eastern Europe.

So what does this have to do with diversity in the games industry other than being a strawman argument for you? Like you're literally in a thread about the lack of racial/gender representation in the games industry saying that the conversation shouldn't be about racial or gender representation, and if we try to talk about it we're oppressing hard working white developers like CDProjekt.

I find this hard to believe, do you have proof of this?

Yeah, that guy who keeps posting in this thread about how he doesn't care about diversity because they never argue for "his diversity" as a Latino. There are lots of people like that, and that's why I said the company can never win. There will always be someone who feels more marginalized. You can't please everyone all the time.

Its an interesting lens, but the executution of summing up a conference's diversity into an arbitrary number is dumb. I'd like to see an example they would have of 5/5.

Asriel

Yeah, that guy who keeps posting in this thread about how he doesn't care about diversity because they never argue for "his diversity" as a Latino. There are lots of people like that, and that's why I said the company can never win. There will always be someone who feels more marginalized. You can't please everyone all the time.

Well sure, but that will always be the case, regardless. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be an effort to include more.

So what does this have to do with diversity in the games industry other than being a strawman argument for you? Like you're literally in a thread about the lack of racial/gender representation in the games industry saying that the conversation shouldn't be about racial or gender representation, and if we try to talk about it we're oppressing hard working white developers like CDProjekt.
Ridiculous, isn't it.

So it would've been 5/5 if there were no white males on stage or in any game showcased? I don't understand the metric for this sort of analysis. Dangerously getting close to reverse discrimination here...

EDIT: Diversity is good, (as I am I minority myself), but I don't know if I agree with this sort of analysis from the Guardian.

Best wishes.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

So we shouldn't even try?

Onemic

Just letting this be known that I never said anything close to this.

This may be a problem in miscommunication.My posts were mainly arguing against the statement that the article should have focused more on European nationality because in my view it is already well represented. At some point in time you joined the discussion and as such I assumed that your points were supportive of that argument. Of course CDPR adds something new to the industry, of course having people of more backgrounds, including Eastern Europe is good. Im just saying that having more diverse European representation,(the discussion had to do with all of Europe, not just Eastern Europe) which already has representation in the form of successful studios vs other marginalized groups that have nothing, doesnt do much to combat the game industries diversity problem if those groups are not brought up first.

Just because you can't please everyone doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Right now the lack of diversity is a hindrance in the growth of the industry. A way to alleviate that is to start considering diversity as a paramount consideration instead of shutting down the conversation.

So it would've been 5/5 if there were no white males on stage or in any game showcased? I don't understand the metric for this sort of analysis. Dangerously getting close to reverse discrimination here...

EDIT: Diversity is good, (as I am I minority myself), but I don't know if I agree with this sort of analysis from the Guardian.

Best wishes.

Yeah I was wondering that too. Is 5/5 no white people and does that include non American white people? I mean, I'm not American or White but reading this thread is like..."awww damn".

Iscariot

That said, I do understand the desire to only have one character instead of making it seem like there's an option for people who don't want to play as a girl. It takes away from from Emily that Corvo is there as that option, regardless of intention.

Not trying to be obtuse about it, but how does the option take anything from Emily? That seems like a deeply cynical perspective about devs intentions considering how heavily the game leans on RPG mechanics (entirely unique power sets between Corvo and Emily for example).

So we shouldn't even try?

We should praise games that do, rather than get outraged when they don't, because there will always be more room for outrage and outrage is less productive than praise. When you have a bunch of different groups all claiming to be marginalized yelling at you for not including them, and you can't include them all, what incentive is there for a game developer to break the status quo?

There were plenty of diverse games presented this year that could be praised, but instead what we have gotten is complaints about how it's not diverse enough or how Link is still male.

Rainer70

Not necessarily video podcasts, but check out SpawnPoint, not your mamas gamer, Ineeddiversegames, simply undrea, fresh out of tokens, unconsoleable, gaminglooksgood, justice points (no longer operating though) and possibly others that I've overlooked.

I don't see myself listening to podcasts as a pastime (like through a stereo or headphones), but I would watch podcasts on YouTube if I'm bored and wanna hear opinions on current events in the industry.

I got into EventStatus on YouTube during the days of his ranting against DmC. The quality of his videos aren't the greatest, but I do enjoy his passion and his research. He doesn't have much in production values, so I'd like to watch something in the presentation of Easy Allies, but with a diverse cast of hosts.

Almost all of the video game media, podcast etc is just 4 middle aged white guys. Go to any site podcast etc and that's what your going to find. I was happy giantbomb added Austin because he has said and added things no one else there would notice or say.

Yep, I'm 26, grew up in a pretty diverse area of Long Island, NY so it's just weird for me to see so many just dorky white guy stereotypical gamers running all of these shows because I grew up and still talk to plenty of gamers that aren't white, and aren't men, and love to talk about games.

Just because you can't please everyone doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Right now the lack of diversity is a hindrance in the growth of the industry. A way to alleviate that is to start considering diversity as a paramount consideration instead of shutting down the conversation.

That's crazy talk. You're talking about a $100+ billion yearly revenue industry being "held back." Is there some minority group out there refusing to buy video games in general because they are not representative? Are they also not watching film or TV, or reading books? If there were growth opportunities, the market would find them.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
We should praise games that do, rather than get outraged when they don't, because there will always be more room for outrage and outrage is less productive than praise. When you have a bunch of different groups all claiming to be marginalized yelling at you for not including them, and you can't include them all, what incentive is there for a game developer to break the status quo?

There were plenty of diverse games presented this year that could be praised, but instead what we have gotten is complaints about how it's not diverse enough or how Link is still male.

"Outrage", "yelling", "complaints"... That speaks more about your perspective than the actual discussion that is happening, in my opinion. You just seems angry that some people aren't satisfied with the status quo.

That's crazy talk. You're talking about a $100+ billion yearly revenue industry being "held back." Is there some minority group out there refusing to buy video games in general because they are not representative? Are they also not watching film or TV, or reading books? If there were growth opportunities, the market would find them.

Maybe those video games, films, shows and books could be even better with diverse creators, marketers, presenters, executives, etc...

Asriel

No, but certainly more diverse offerings could introduce new gamers, and could also make better games as a whole.

It's how my sister got into gaming.

I got into EventStatus on YouTube during the days of his ranting against DmC. The quality of his videos aren't the greatest, but I do enjoy his passion and his research. He doesn't have much in production values, so I'd like to watch something in the presentation of Easy Allies, but with a diverse cast of hosts.

Eh, I wouldn't say EventStatus actually research what he says. He's the same as most of us who don't actually know what's going on behind the scenes. Just another angry YouTuber.

Which would actually be interesting if someone within the industry would join in and discuss this topic.

We do praise games that do. Problem is there are still games that don't through ignorance or excuses. We've gotten 2 confouding excuses just this E3 about both Zelda and Battlefield 1 about the absence of a female choice for link and the absence of female characters in Battlefield's multiplayer. And these are just excuses that were said allowed about the lack of diversity so we can only imagine the discussions that happen internally or within board rooms. Nobody is hurt by a continued critique of this aspect of the industry and both players and creators can only benefit by having these conversations and being enlightened by them.

Wow who cares? Putting emphasis on this just creates more positive and negative racism

What are positive and negative racism? And the article as well as people within the topic have already displayed the people who care.

I feel like people confuse outrage from one side as the same as outrage from the other, when generally they end up being much different in tone and purpose. If you aren't particularly tuned to social justice or civil rights history/rhetoric, most of the "outrage" you encounter in politics and in social conversations are non-issues meant to be used for emotional leverage (you know, politics), and I think people end up attributing that to people campaigning for diversity and representation without meaning to.

So I don't want to necessarily go down the route of "don't fight about this since we'll always have infinite ammunition", because the goal of discussing the issue and pushing for more/better representation isn't so that we can get to a point where we stop talking about it. Being able to discuss and be vocal about the issue is good, and the outrage you're referring to isn't the toxic sort of stuff you'd see from GG or Trump. I feel like despite all the setbacks we've had in the industry, our ability to have positive conversations is improving.

As a minority in the industry it seems like the more monied parts of it are cool with nods to the idea of diversity but when it comes time to show if it's pretty much the same content each time. There were a lot of games not shown during the conferences that were more interesting.

You get used to it tho

I remember not realizing the David Cage game was originally Kara because they didn't show her at all even though you can apparently still play as her. The focus is pretty clear

Maybe those video games, films, shows and books could be even better with diverse creators, marketers, presenters, executives, etc...

Maybe, and maybe not. Race or gender is just one aspect to a person's personality, and the identity politics view that it is the most important factor isn't proven by reality.

Ghostbusters with women is just a Ghostbusters remake. Creed is just Rocky except black. If Link was a woman instead of an androgynous silent young man, what does that change?

Diversity doesn't necessarily add creativity, and sometimes it's even used as a PR band-aid to hide the fact that creators are regurgitating the same content. At the end of the day, there are a number of physical, mental, cultural, national, environmental, etc. factors that shape people's creativity.

As a minority in the industry it seems like the more monied parts of it are cool with nods to the idea of diversity but when it comes time to show if it's pretty much the same content each time. There were a lot of games not shown during the conferences that were more interesting.

You get used to it tho

I remember not realizing the David Cage game was originally Kara because they didn't show her at all even though you can apparently still play as her. The focus is pretty clear

Jesus Christ that's grim to hear

I don't buy games with male protags unless its a company I trust fully in, which is very few. Select Nintendo teams, Atlus, and a few indies are basically it. Days Gone? Won't buy. GOW? Won't buy. Etc. I really can't bring myself to care unless its a dev team I trust fully like the Mario or persona teams or something that I really feel like i want, like the new Spiderman. I was even thinking of not getting Zelda until I calmed down from my own outrage of no female Link. Tho I will never see Anouma as anything but sexist not because its only male Link, but because of the comments. But not going to let that ruin my experience with Zelda BotW. So yes many devs are missing out on sales.

Maybe, and maybe not. Race or gender is just one aspect to a person's personality, and the identity politics view that it is the most important factor isn't proven by reality.

Ghostbusters with women is just a Ghostbusters remake. Creed is just Rocky except black. If Link was a woman instead of an androgynous silent young man, what does that change?

Diversity doesn't necessarily add creativity, and sometimes it's even used as a PR band-aid to hide the fact that creators are regurgitating the same content. At the end of the day, there are a number of physical, mental, cultural, national, environmental, etc. factors that shape people's creativity.
I didn't say race and gender were the only factors, though they certainly are a factor.

Get out of here with your nuanced and reasoned viewpoint.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
You have to understand that "white people suffer too" or "men get raped too" are usually the first response to any mention of diversity or example of discrimination, and why sentiments that might have no racial connotations like "all lives matter" become extremely toxic when they're used in juxtaposition as a way of shutting down a conversation.

Nobody is putting down the immense achievements of CDProjekt and other companies in underrepresented European countries, but using them to shut down a diversity argument is an incredibly shitty thing to do, even if you aren't doing it maliciously.

The argument started at this, though:

It's not because it's still white at the end of the day. More diverse European males doesnt make for a more diverse industry. It makes it exactly the same.

Which is probably correct.. in an americanocentric point of view.
America's current struggles are mainly among skincolor lines, which makes it easy to forget the treatment of Irish, Slav, Catholic, etc in a not so long past, issues which are still ongoing (if not as harshly) in some regions of Europe.
Arguing that a white American male has the same point of view on the world as a white Polish male is nearly as absurd as saying a black American male has the same point of view as a white American male.

It's not that the plight of the black people, largely in the USA (Not that Europe has really solved it's problems with Black people, it's just that European countries have 0-4% of black people) isn't very important: It's just that diversity means different things depending on latitude, and the game industry can definitely benefit of point of views that are outside USA\Japan\Western Europe, which is a thing that CD Project RED is definitely bringing to the table, and should be applauded for that, even if it's not as socially important as representation for people currently oppressed in their homeland.

You'd think someone with Atticus Finch in their username would have a better handle on this subject.

What, exactly, is wrong with my "handle on this subject" beyond that you apparently disagree with me?

You don't know anything about me. You don't know who I am, what I am, or why I am. You would think that in a thread about diversity you would not jump to some conclusion about who is on the other end of the keyboard.

Not trying to be obtuse about it, but how does the option take anything from Emily? That seems like a deeply cynical perspective about devs intentions considering how heavily the game leans on RPG mechanics (entirely unique power sets between Corvo and Emily for example).

Before I continue further, let me just clarify: I do not think this is the biggest deal in the world, nor a deal breaker, nor do I think it's on anyone's mind as a major consideration when evaluating the quality of Dishonored 2.

Dishonored 1 was about Corvo, Dishonored 2 is about Emily...and Corvo. Could the game have been made with just Emily? Sure. The different power sets could be branches without much work at all, just as they were for Corvo in Dishonored 1.

Making Emily the main character would have said "This is the character we think represents this game, and people who don't think they can relate to a female character will have to get used to it." Instead it's "You can play as Emily, but if not, you can play as Corvo! Everyone wins!"

I do not think they're monsters or even that they realized the optics of it, but a game just starring Emily is different from a game where she shares the spotlight. The intention is likely not to give people who don't want to play as a woman something to do, but it does, and that kind of sucks.

What, exactly, is wrong with my "handle on this subject" beyond that you apparently disagree with me?

You don't know anything about me. You don't know who I am, what I am, or why I am. You would think that in a thread about diversity you would not jump to some conclusion about who is on the other end of the keyboard.

Can't speak for EFB, but from what I've seen of your posts, you have no understanding of the benefit of diversity, or what it actually is, and why people push for it.

And all we know about you is what you post here, and what you've posted reflects a deep misunderstanding of how diversity is achieved, and what people want.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
While I agree that the spirit of the article that we should discuss about diversity in videogames, the article itself is unfortunately poorly articulated. There is no need for a marks out of five score as a sentence or two overall discussing diversity at the end would suffice. The score negatively takes away from any valid points raised. My other problem with the article is that the only diversity acknowledged is male/female and white/black. For example, I was surprised that the boy in 'The Last Guardian' wasn't mentioned, maybe the author thinks the child is caucasian. Surely a game where a child is the protagonist ranks as diverse? I enjoyed playing as Clementine in Walking Dead 2 as it was something different playing a game from a child's perspective. The theme of the article is warranted but I would have preferred a more fleshed out and polished article.

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Just woke up, haven't read through the entire thread yet, but wanted to share a thought.

One thing I wish this article also took into account were examining journalist streams and the diversity there as well. I noticed it during the Sony conference trying to find a Twitch stream to settle on.

I'm sure there had to be one, but none of the popular journalist streams I looked through had people that weren't white. Whether it was the main Twitch stream, EZ Allies, Giant Bomb, and so on. I didn't look through them all obviously.

The lack of diversity in journalism could be just as much of a problem.

Ah, the Guardian. The newspaper with the best of intentions...

There's a wonderfully insightful conversation to be instigated by an article about diversity at E3, I just don't think reducing such an issue to */5 style ratings with attached soundbites is the best way to start it.

Ok, gaf, give me the numbers, how many people have been banned already?

First page is a graveyard. I was actually hesitant to reply at all in this thread.

The argument started at this, though:

Which is probably correct.. in an americanocentric point of view.
America's current struggles are mainly among skincolor lines, which makes it easy to forget the treatment of Irish, Slav, Catholic, etc in a not so long past, issues which are still ongoing (if not as harshly) in some regions of Europe.
Arguing that a white American male has the same point of view on the world as a white Polish male is nearly as absurd as saying a black American male has the same point of view as a white American male.

It's not that the plight of the black people, largely in the USA (Not that Europe has really solved it's problems with Black people, it's just that European countries have 0-4% of black people) isn't very important: It's just that diversity means different things depending on latitude, and the game industry can definitely benefit of point of views that are outside USA\Japan\Western Europe, which is a thing that CD Project RED is definitely bringing to the table, and should be applauded for that, even if it's not as socially important as representation for people currently oppressed in their homeland.

That's really not the point of the dispute, though, because the issue isn't whether or not there are historically European minorities that have been discriminated and oppressed as much as Black people in America, or turning it into a competition to see who has had it worse and for how long. The problem is the general trend of using these sorts of arguments in order to stifle discussion as opposed to adding to it, and it's not an issue that's even new or specific to gaming.

I don't think anyone would object to a "yes, and" phrasing as opposed to "no, but" phrasing, if that makes any sense. There are totally ways of praising and acknowledging the accomplishments in diversity from European or "White" companies without belittling the obvious problems with representation in the industry, but people tend not to do that because they have ulterior motives for bringing it up in the first place.

Can't speak for EFB, but from what I've seen of your posts, you have no understanding of the benefit of diversity, or what it actually is, and why people push for it.

And all we know about you is what you post here, and what you've posted reflects a deep misunderstanding of how diversity is achieved, and what people want.

Feel free to enlighten me, because all you are offering are complaints about my view but not explaining why it's wrong. All I've said is that you are not going to please everyone and pointed to two very specific examples from this thread of that, but apparently that makes me wrong.

Feel free to enlighten me, because all you are offering are complaints about my view but not explaining why it's wrong. All I've said is that you are not going to please everyone and pointed to two very specific examples from this thread of that, but apparently that makes me wrong.
For one, you place utmost importance and focus on individuals not being pleased, despite the reality that no one's goal is to please 100% of everyone. Anytime someone mentions the importance of seeking diversity, you respond with that as if it "proves," why there's no point in having a nonwhite character as a lead in the next Uncharted game.

You also focus on the fact that, in the theoretical scenario in which the next Uncharted game stars someone who isn't a straight middle-aged white man, the game doesn't star a straight middle-aged white man as if that's the part that people consider to be positive. It's not about preventing white characters from starring in games — it's about increasing the possibility and chances that characters who reflect other nationalities, races, genders, and orientations can star in games. It's about getting past questioning why a given nonwhite character is in a leading role, as if all instances of nonwhite, female, not-straight characters are all merely "pushing an agenda." It's about reinforcing the fact that anyone can be the hero or star in a story, and getting that to be widely accepted as a matter of fact.

Based on your posts, it sounds as if all you see (or care about) is that a white person/character isn't getting a role or is being "replaced," rather than seeing the notion that anyone can go on this type of adventure be reinforced.

Again, I don't know you, but that's what it sounds like you don't get. You constantly display skepticism any time someone tries to explain the point too; I'm not saying all this expecting to reach an understanding, fyi. So if I don't reply, that's probably why.

I didn't say race and gender were the only factors, though they certainly are a factor.

Well, that begs the question: If race and gender are only 2 of a hundred different factors that make up a human being, why are we using those to determine if a character or project team or presentation is diverse enough?

Bio

Well, that begs the question: If race and gender are only 2 of a hundred different factors that make up a human being, why are we using those to determine if a character or project team or presentation is diverse enough?

That does seem to be the two everyone gravitates to. Nobody seems to talk about the poverty stricken person who grew up to make video games, a viewpoint I'd find extremely interesting considering how much of my life was spent in poverty. I wonder if those even exist?

d00d3n

Pretty much. There's also a Bedouin woman playable character in Battlefield 1. Mirror's Edge was just released, development led by Sara Jansson. Amy Hennig and Jade Raymond are heading up major projects. EA's publishing the next game by Josef Fares' Hazelight.
More women and minorities explicitly shown during an E3 conference, is something worth striving for. But if EA's conference is considered subpar in this respect (it's not by me), they more than make up for it outside of that one hour on stage.

To me the one that came off the most dudebro was Bethesda, so guess I agree with the article there. No women or minorities on stage these past two E3's, or any E3? But they still have at least one upcoming game with a female main character, which is who they showed in the E3 demo. Fallout 4 also had optional woman person, so they seem somewhat aware of things.

I agree about the EA stuff.

Criticism against Bethesda doesn't seem fair at all, though. The main game that they were showing was a stealth focused immersive sim that presumably targets a mostly male demographic of hardcore gamers. While it is possible to select a male or a female main character, all gameplay footage shown was with the latter. They are specifically promoting the female main character as an exciting new way of playing the game that comes with new abilities and possibilities that will not be supported with the male character.

Two other games that they heavily featured, Fallout 4 and Skyrim, offer a choice between a male and female main character as an integral part of the games.

Top Bottom