• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will begin the next 10 to 20 years of the MCU

Link. Full Q&A is there.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is a very important movie for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

During a Facebook Live Q&A, director James Gunn laid out just how much influence the third installment in the trilogy will have as the MCU enters its next phase. Gunn said Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will help expand the cosmic universe, allowing for new characters and settings to be introduced in a way that makes sense for the audience.

“Nova [a superhero within the Marvel universe] comes up occasionally as someone we might use,” Gunn said. “One of the things that I’m doing with creating Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which will take place after the next two Avengers movies, will help set up the next 10, 20 years of Marvel movies. It’s going to really expand the cosmic universe. We’re going to be setting up new characters and it will be the last movie of this version of Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Gunn didn’t elaborate on what future versions of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise may look like. There are a number of reasons why the Guardians franchise may change, but one reason is contract negotiations. The actors’ contracts may end after Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. If Chris Pratt (who plays Star-Lord in the series) wants out at that point, Marvel will have to find another way to keep the Guardians franchise going.

In April, Gunn confirmed similar details, adding that he would be returning to direct the third installment. In a lengthy Facebook post, Gunn said that while this will end the current Guardians of the Galaxy storyline, the franchise would continue to live on.

“Much of what’s happened in the MCU for the past ten or so years has been leading, in a big way, to the Avengers’ Infinity War,” Gunn wrote. “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will happen after all that. It will conclude the story of this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and help catapult both old and new Marvel characters into the next ten years and beyond.”

The team I hope for? Rich/Nova, Phyla/Quasar, Heather/Moondragon, Cosmo, Nikki and Adam Warlock or Vance Astro(No way we'll get Jack Flag). Give me Darkhawk and the Fraternity of Raptors.

Wiped89

I love the MCU but to be honest I'm kinda ready to see the end soon.

Like, I can't imagine still being hooked when we're on Avengers 10 and Guardians 6.

I liked that it seemed like they were working towards a story conclusion for the Avengers when Infinity War was announced. I want an 'end'. Now it seems like theu want to drag it out forever.

A rotating cast would make a ton of sense. Especially since the comic version had a pretty random group of people.

I love the MCU but to be honest I'm kinda ready to see the end soon.

Like, I can't imagine still being hooked when we're on Avengers 10 and Guardians 6.

I liked that it seemed like they were working towards a story conclusion for the Avengers when Infinity War was announced. I want an 'end'. Now it seems like theu want to drag it out forever.

Why wouldn't they? The movies still make money and are generally considered good-to-great movies. If you want to stop after Infinity War, then stop. There will always be people who like these movies. Especially kids.

After guardians 2 I'm ready for guardians 3.

Edit: reminding everyone that they don't have to watch mcu movies and a ton of non mcu movies come out every month.

Kouichi

Aw yeah that sounds great. I want full blown cosmic Marvel. Hopefully, they can get some of the characters stuck under the Fantastic Four rights by then.

Fury451

Banned
Their post-Infinity War plans are starting to sound less focused and shaky. In a lot of ways that's fine, I would prefer they stop doing movies that all need to constantly tie into each other and lead up to some huge event, it would be much nicer if they just decide to have a lot of stories being told, but Captain Marvel being set in the past ( oh I'm sure the hand with that with time traveler stasis or something), and stuff like this seem a little less sure handed then what's come before.

Especially with cosmic, there's a lot of characters, a lot of plot to go through, a lot of fun to be had, hopefully the next wave of films focuses more on just exploring cool ideas

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Cosmic Marvel is Best Marvel. Not so much in the movies, but I love how it's really its own thing in the comics. I'd actually prefer if they kinda stuck to the model they're working with now, where the Guardians and cosmic do their jazz while the Earth based characters do theirs.

Jims

Eh. One of the big draws of Guardians of the Galaxy for me personally is that it's kinda off on its own thing and doesn't get super crossover-y and stuff. I understand there is a lot of background stuff that is already deeply connected. But I like how far away they are from The Avengers and all that stuff. At least at the surface level.

I guess it is inevitable, given its success.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Eh. One of the big draws of Guardians of the Galaxy for me personally is that it's kinda off on its own thing and doesn't get super crossover-y and stuff. I understand there is a lot of background stuff that is already deeply connected. But I like how far away they are from The Avengers and all that stuff. At least at the surface level.

I guess it is inevitable, given its success.

it was inevitable before the success - gamora & nebula are daughters of Thanos

ZeoVGM

Banned
Their post-Infinity War plans are starting to sound less focused and shaky. In a lot of ways that's fine, I would prefer they stop doing movies that all need to constantly tie into each other and lead up to some huge event, it would be much nicer if they just decide to have a lot of stories being told, but Captain Marvel being set in the past ( oh I'm sure the hand with that with time traveler stasis or something), and stuff like this seem a little less sure handed then what's come before.

But that wasn't the case with the past three MCU films.

DC better nail their GL Corps movie because we could very well end up with a Nova Corps series of films before long.

Post Infinity War MCU is gonna be an interesting ride. I could see a surge in apathy from audiences once that storyline is done if Marvel doesn't play their cards right but I'm sure Feige is well aware of that. It would be nice if they could trade more cosmic characters with Fox.

Anyway, I finally watched Guardians 2 yesterday and... Eh. Gorgeous looking movie though.

Some comments on this thread are beginning to sound like that poor soul who can't bring themselves to watch one of the newer Star Wars films a few hundred times. The horror!

Take a rest, guys. Marvel will just have to soldier on without you.

DC better nail their GL Corps movie because we could very well end up with a Nova Corps series of films before long.

Post Infinity War MCU is gonna be an interesting ride. I could see a surge in apathy from audiences once that storyline is done if Marvel doesn't play their cards right but I'm sure Feige is well aware of that. It would be nice if they could trade more cosmic characters with Fox.

Anyway, I finally watched Guardians 2 yesterday and... Eh. Gorgeous looking movie though.
I'm really wondering how they'll get from the current Nova Corps to the DnA era one. Currently in the comics they're pretty much the MCU one with just 2 actually powered members(Nova Prime and Nova)who don't even hang with them.

Still mad Gunn cut the powered corps from the first movie's script by Perlman AND removed the helmets.

Well, if comic books can do this shit then so should the movies. Captain America's been around since the 50s or 60s and no one thinks that's weird.

20 years?! Jesus. Imagine if there had been 2 or 3 Star Wars movies a year every year from A New Hope to The Phantom Menace. Not even counting the games and extended media, Marvel's got that on lock too, just the movies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
20 years? God help us all. I thought this hollywood trend was on the way out.

How in the world could you think that when there was literally zero evidence of it?

There's actually more evidence that it's stronger than ever than there is of it being "on the way out."

RangerX

Banned
I kinda wish they would stop announcing these films so early. It makes it less likely that anything will happen to them in Infinity war.

Top Bottom