• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will begin the next 10 to 20 years of the MCU

a916

Didn't we hear the same thing about Spider-Man Homecoming's sequel? Since it was the first film after the 4th Avengers film?

Ronin Ray

Fair enough, I haven't seen wonder woman and kinda assumed she was a female superman.

My point is I don't know how much longer Marvel can hold the attention of morons like me without the OG heros involved.

I think you're in the minority on this one.The movies with new fresher characters Deadpool, wonder women, Guardians and Suicide Squad are doing great where as movies like spiderman homecoming didn't set the world on fire. I think people want newer characters on screen. Iron Man, Captain America and Thor were all B level Heroes and now there all household names.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's A-OK by me if it means more Space-based MCU/Avengers movies. We've milked Earth enough and there's only so many times it can be under peril.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I can't even...

Look, more films made just means more chance you get a genuinely good one each year. A Logan or a WW. Instead of that terrible 00s period where we got a bunch of shite. Like X-Men 3 which somehow adapted two stories at the same time and fucked them both up.

Don't like MCU? You've got Singer's X-Men. Don't like Singer X-Men? You have DCEU? Don't like DCEU? You have Arrowverse. Don't like Arrowverse? You have MCU Netflix. Don't like MCU Netflix? You got AOS. Don't like any of those? Go watch Inhumans, the show you deserve for having shitty taste.

Anung

Un Rama
History has a way of repeating itself, i'm sure it was once delusional to think that westerns would go out of style.

Western's can be a pretty rigid genre though. Where's superhero movies have so much wiggle room as they can lift from any genre so I don't think they'll have much trouble staying fresh as times goes by.

Ponn

Banned
Oh yea. If they are starting it with GotG then I'm hoping they go for an Annihilation Conquest storyline.

I honestly can't imagine why this would be a problem for anyone, it's not like other movies aren't being made. Marvel Studios doesn't make anything except for superhero films so it's not like the opportunity for another type of film is being lost. If people lose interest then they'll make fewer films but surely more of a good thing can't be bad?

I can't even...

Look, more films made just means more chance you get a genuinely good one each year. A Logan or a WW. Instead of that terrible 00s period where we got a bunch of shite. Like X-Men 3 which somehow adapted two stories at the same time and fucked them both up.

Don't like MCU? You've got Singer's X-Men. Don't like Singer X-Men? You have DCEU? Don't like DCEU? You have Arrowverse. Don't like Arrowverse? You have MCU Netflix. Don't like MCU Netflix? You got AOS. Don't like any of those? Go watch Inhumans, the show you deserve for having shitty taste.

giphy.gif

Ponn

Banned
Gotta have Annihilus to do Annihilation.

Not Conquest. I know Conquest doesn't get as much love as the first and I agree the first is better I still love Conquest though. It has several great moments, gives them an excuse to work in Warlock, Phyla-vell and Moondragon. And they already have the surprise big bad coming back ready to go with
ultron

Not Conquest. I know Conquest doesn't get as much love as the first and I agree the first is better I still love Conquest though. It has several great moments, gives them an excuse to work in Warlock, Phyla-vell and Moondragon. And they already have the surprise big bad coming back ready to go with
ultron

Phalanx counts as X-Men though don't they?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
X Men got the party started in 2000, really
Blade could be argued as being the one that started it (even if it wasn't as successful as X-Men), so even earlier.

Some of you are hilarious. Must be terrible having to resist watching a movie you don't even like every four months. However will you all survive?
I think they might be strapped to a chair and eyes forced open like Alex Delarge.

Oh yea. If they are starting it with GotG then I'm hoping they go for an Annihilation Conquest storyline.
I thought for a while this was going to be the plot of GotG V2, given how long they waited to release its official name.

phanphare

Banned
Blade could be argued as being the one that started it (even if it wasn't as successful as X-Men), so even earlier.

god I fucking love Blade

what a great movie

I was talking comic book movies the other day and one of my friends was talking about Logan like "finally, we got an R rated comic book movie" and I was like "uhhhh.......BLADE!"

You'd think society will eventually move away from Super Hero flicks but now I'm not so sure. Maybe these are our timeless Greek myths...

Superhero movies aren't going away but the idea of audiences keeping up with the story/character baggage of two to three movies a year for the next 10 to 20 is questionable.

That said, it's not like most people see every Marvel movie as is. If it were the case there'd be an even level of success across them. Not watching Ant-Man probably didn't hurt anyone's enjoyment of Civil War. And doubtful the audience for The Avengers were all caught up on whatever happened in that first Thor.

MogCakes

I doubt I'll stay invested beyond Guardians 3. The MCU will only persist this way from the massive budget each film gets.

Sagroth

The movie kind of sucks, but I remember being really impressed by this back in the day.

giphy.gif

That movie was all over the board when it came to SFX. It got hilariously bad with Malebolgia though:

7924718.png

As for the Marvel news: this sounds good to me. Their output has been consistently decent to great so far IMO.

I thought Vol. 2 was a hot, boring mess of sorts, so you think you're gonna get another decade of this but I think the "MCU decade" is pretty much at its end as it is.

Like any other movie decade trend, it's reaching its natural point of exhaustion. I grow tired of "the road to Thanos" which was particularly bad in Vol. 2 where it was "father" at first and then suddenly it's "Thanos? Thanos! Thanos thanos. THANOS!" at the end in its dialogue. Uuuurgh.

I want off this fucking train already. Thor 3 being potentially actually funny I will accept (in part because of the contrast with 'there was a second one?', and 'wait there was a first one?' ), but the horrible clashing tones, the over-reliance on CGI-fests, and the constant 'yeah but THANOS', and honestly not being very memorable beyond watching it once, I will not miss once Infinity War finally ends that crap.

There's yur hot take for the day, enjoy. Also TFA sucked. BYE

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well, if comic books can do this shit then so should the movies. Captain America's been around since the 50s or 60s and no one thinks that's weird.

Came back in 1964.

Since Superman: The Movie there have been seven Superman movies. Eight if you count Batman Vs. In 40 years.

In comparison that have been, what, 13 or so Marvel movies in the last 10 years? And they are only going to be picking up the pace.

There are 16 so far.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That movie was all over the board when it came to SFX. It got hilariously bad with Malebolgia though:

7924718.png

I think that broke the record at the time for most VFX houses on one movie.

Sulik2

Fast and Furious 18 starring Vin Diesel's son will be coming out in year 20 and will still be making bank in China.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

7924718.png

As for the Marvel news: this sounds good to me. Their output has been consistently decent to great so far IMO.

lol uuuhhhgg.... I wanted Malebolgia to be so good when I went to this flick and oof... OOF

I'll watch Marvel movies for as along as Bar-Theaters exist and my comic book reading friends and I stay on good terms. It's just too much of a good time to go get a decent fade on and watch characters i've been reading and drawing and playing since I was 5 fuck each other up to the tune of a billion godamned dollars.

Love these flicks. No need to stop printing money yet. Feige has yet to turn himself into a giant robot spider so gotta make that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (it's a risky procedure but i think it's worth it.)

Kitoro

Personally, I'm bored of seeing the original six Avengers fight. I'm more interested in seeing what the newer members have up their sleeves.

If Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Thor, Hawkeye, and Black Widow make the ultimate sacrifice to thwart Thanos, I think I'd be okay with the newer members picking up the torch from their with standalone and Avenger's films from then on.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Cosmo better show up heavy in Vol 3

maybe Rocket & his girl run off and start a family and Cosmo can be the new loveable critter

Wiped89

I don't get this line of thinking. Let the people who still enjoy a franchise continue to do so. No one will force you to keep up with the MCU.

Would Harry Potter be better if there was no end and they just kept cranking out more films with those characters in increasingly tortured stories, so that fans never got a true conclusion? NO.

duckroll

Would Harry Potter be better if there was no end and they just kept cranking out more films with those characters in increasingly tortured stories, so that fans never got a true conclusion? NO.

If that meant that there was no Deathly Hollows and they could continue to tell fun stories of the characters which were actually good instead, yes.

The Harry Potter films always focused on the same characters and were pretty close adaptations of the source material.

It's a completely different scenario to the MCU. There's still a wealth of characters they could introduce and shift the focus to.

Top Bottom