• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 will begin the next 10 to 20 years of the MCU

I'm really wondering how they'll get from the current Nova Corps to the DnA era one. Currently in the comics they're pretty much the MCU one with just 2 actually powered members(Nova Prime and Nova)who don't even hang with them.

Still mad Gunn cut the powered corps from the first movie's script by Perlman AND removed the helmets.

They could take some cues from Annihilation without actually having Annihilus show up. Kinda like what they're doing with Planet Hulk / Ragnarok.

A rookie Nova from Earth (either Sam or Rider works for me honestly) is training on Xandar, someone attacks and destroys the Corps, he somehow rescues the World Mind and becomes a superpowered Nova Prime and so on...

Well the first Superman came out 40 years ago, so seems like there's a pretty long appetite for superhero movies!

Since Superman: The Movie there have been seven Superman movies. Eight if you count Batman Vs. In 40 years.

In comparison that have been, what, 13 or so Marvel movies in the last 10 years? And they are only going to be picking up the pace.

Tbf it's surprised me that the appetite hasn't waned for these films already, so I guess they could do 20 more years?

I find these films really boring but that's since the beginning (other than Iron Man and Guardians 1)

Afrodium

Banned
I don't know why folks expected the MCU to just stop any time soon.

Enthusiasts tend to view these films as one narrative driving towards Infinity War, but for the most part these are desperate superhero franchises that take place in the same universe. The only films you really need to see to understand the overall course of the MCU is Avengers 1, 2, and Civil War. When Infinity War rolls around it's possible GotG 1 will be a core film too.

Audiences may tire of Avengers movies or Captain America movies, but they won't tire of superhero movies.

They could take some cues from Annihilation without actually having Annihilus show up. Kinda like what they're doing with Planet Hulk / Ragnarok.

A rookie Nova from Earth (either Sam or Rider works for me honestly) is training on Xandar, someone attacks and destroys the Corps, he somehow rescues the World Mind and becomes a superpowered Nova Prime and so on...
Before GotG Vol. 2 I had the thought that they could say the Nova Force was created by experimenting on the Power Stone which resulted in a whole new clean energy source to power their ships and defences. After Thanos raids the planet for it, the sole surviving Nova Corps recruit(just arrived after being saved from a slave camp and wanting to help people instead of going back to Earth or something)ends up downloading World Mind and it sneaks the energy source with him in his new space suit.

Garlador

There aren't multiple yearly iterations so its not comparable at all.
Mario.

And don't move the goal post.
flagpole.gif

Afrodium

Banned
People have watched a new hour of The Young and the Restless daily for decades. I think nerds will put up with 6 new hours of the MCU annually for some time.

Garlador

Can't wait for 70 year old Iron Man.
Didn't the comics have a time-traveling teen Tony at one point? (Turns on the Slayven signal)

Honestly, I could see RDJ voicing a CG Iron Man for awhile. They wouldn't recast until a proper stand-alone Iron Man film was decided upon again.

Mario.

And don't move the goal post.
Hyuk hyuk. They don't have yearly iterations either. Sunshine was a buggy mess. So between Mario64 and Galaxy all they put out that was good was NSMB right?

Edit: ok guys I'm not trying to derail the thread, let's try to focus on the actual topic of what characters we'd like to see. If you really want to debate with me about that sustained quality thing feel free to PM me!

"20 more years of MCU will never happen, and even if it did it'd be bad!!!!!!!", nerds say as they get excited for Star Wars' current plans to outlive all of them

jett

D-Member
Well the first Superman came out 40 years ago, so seems like there's a pretty long appetite for superhero movies!

That's a really facetious comparison to make. We're going to get three Marvel movies a year, every year from now on. Maybe four at some point. There's gotta be a feel of oversaturation at some point.

Wondering if people will "put up with" 20 more years of good movies seems like a strange thing to wonder.

Yeah? I don't think it's strange at all. This bubble has to burst at some point. I'll be surprised if audiences' interest doesn't diminish in watching the same formulaic stuff over and over.

Some of us don't think these movies are all that great anyway.

We've "put up" with it for 10+ years already. If they keep batting around the same, I'm sure we can do 20. ;)

Technically you could say it's only been five years since the MCU really exploded with Avengers.

Didn't the comics have a time-traveling teen Tony at one point? (Turns on the Slayven signal)

Honestly, I could see RDJ voicing a CG Iron Man for awhile. They wouldn't recast until a proper stand-alone Iron Man film was decided upon again.
You'll get your AI Tony capable of jumping between suits and mentoring the next Iron Man/Woman and like it.

Afrodium

Banned
Hyuk hyuk. They don't have yearly iterations either. Sunshine was a buggy mess. So between Mario64 and Galaxy all they put out that was good was NSMB right?

Edit: ok guys I'm not trying to derail the thread, let's try to focus on the actual topic of what characters we'd like to see. If you really want to debate with me about that sustained quality thing feel free to PM me!

No franchises in the MCU have yearly iterations though. For a decent chunk of the film's the main connection to the larger MCU is that they have a mystical stone that we know will appear in later films and a 30 second singer after the credits that contains some other superheroes.

I've been to every Marvel movie so far.

But outside of like Spiderman, iron man, hulk etc OG avengers, I don't really give a shit about these newer heros that only comic fans know about.

Captain Marvel is clearly a wonder woman rip off. I've literally never even heard the names OP mentions.

They should just reboot in a few years rather than focus on the nobodies the general audience won't give a fuck about

Pizza

Tbf it's surprised me that the appetite hasn't waned for these films already, so I guess they could do 20 more years?

I find these films really boring but that's since the beginning (other than Iron Man and Guardians 1)

I just ignore them unless someone desperately wants to see it with me.

Guardians 2 messed up the pantheon of cosmic gods real hard, so I have pretty much no interest in how they handle space marvel tbh. It's not like the movies annihilate the comics though, so I can't complain really: Disney saved marvel

I'm happy for the people who want to stare at costumed heroes until they die though!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yeah? I don't think it's strange at all. This bubble has to burst at some point.

Spider-Man came out in 2002. The industry has only gotten bigger since then.

Of course it will eventually get less popular. We're likely at the peak of it and these things come and go over time. But the genre isn't disappearing. As long as they continue to put out good movies, fans will go see them.

Some of us don't think these movies are all that great anyway.

Yes, but you're in a minority of people as the movies continue to be huge successes and continue to hit high percentages on RottenTomaotes on a regular basis.

Obviously, not everyone is going to like every popular thing.

Slayven

But outside of like Spiderman, iron man, hulk etc OG avengers, I don't really give a shit about these newer heros that only comic fans know about.

Captain Marvel is clearly a wonder woman rip off. I've literally never even heard the names OP mentions.

They should just reboot in a few years rather than focus on the nobodies the general audience won't give a fuck about
Actually early Carol was a supergirl ripoff to the point they even have the same last name. There aren't really that many Wonder woman bootlegs.

Blader

Since Superman: The Movie there have been seven Superman movies. Eight if you count Batman Vs. In 40 years.

In comparison that have been, what, 13 or so Marvel movies in the last 10 years? And they are only going to be picking up the pace.

Who cares? Most viewers don't make the distinction, they just see superheroes. The point is that audiences have been turning out to see dozens of these movies for decades already, so another 10 to 20 years hardly seems ridiculous.

That's a really facetious comparison to make. We're going to get three Marvel movies a year, every year from now on. Maybe four at some point. There's gotta be a feel of oversaturation at some point.

Maybe there will be. But 20 years is a long time -- who's to say that the people watching Phase 14 movies will be the ones watching Avengers and Guardians today? One generation gets tired of seeing these things, and then the next generation of kids/teens/20somethings gets on the bandwagon.

That's valid.

God damn, we're 17 years in on this fad.

Exactly. We're practically already 20 years into the modern superhero genre. Is anyone going to argue that the genre has remained exactly the same since 2000? There have been a couple major shifts in these movies since then, which is has helped keep them popular, and you can be sure there will be similarly large shifts to keep it afloat moving forward.

We need to stop this train and get back to the 80s/90s where we had great action movies that stood on their own without being the product of pop culture.

The only thing these characters have in common is a vagina

Actually early Carol was a supergirl ripoff to the point they even have the same last name. There aren't really that many Wonder woman bootlegs.
Fair enough, I haven't seen wonder woman and kinda assumed she was a female superman.

My point is I don't know how much longer Marvel can hold the attention of morons like me without the OG heros involved.

Nova? SoYou'reSayingThere'sAChance.jpg

It's funny though. A Nova movie would probably come out around the same time as the GL Corps movie in theory. Probably a ways after which would make it look more like a ripoff.

Ithil

This is the most baffling logic I've ever seen.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Fair enough, I haven't seen wonder woman and kinda assumed she was a female superman.

My point is I don't know how much longer Marvel can hold the attention of morons like me without the OG heros involved.

they made Rocket Racoon a household name in 1 movie

most fans of these movies seem open to discovering new heroes to love

LewieP

Y'all are nuts if you think they're EVER going to take Rocket and Groot off of the Guardians team.

Are you saying they wouldn't ever make a Rocket & Groot movie? I think it would be very profitable and would have far less of a scheduling burden than most of their other movies (could be entirely CGI too, if they wanted). Wouldn't even have to retain the voice cast, but I'd prefer if they did.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I honestly can't tell if this is satire or not.

Top Bottom