• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Games register Horizonthegame.com domain

F4r0_Atak

Sadly, no. I have it, but haven't found the time to play it yet. It's that good?

When you take into consideration that the game is developed by Guerilla Cambridge (in the sense that it's not the original devs), their take on the franchise freshen up the stale franchise after the bad aftertaste left Shadow Fall's campaign and sold me on what kind of potential the series could have story and gameplay-wise if done properly (custom loadouts, choose your type of missions, proper (and fun) stealth compared to Shadow Fall's attempt, etc). Also, the main character was interesting enough on a moral point-of-view compared to the ones we had so far.

Jomjom

Banned
Because in terms of graphics, lore and gameplay they're actually pretty good. They've hired talented staff to deal with their writing shortcomings and it's the first time they're free from Killzone's shackles, plus the concept art/info surrounding the game look great. So plenty of reason to be hyped.

Well it's definitely encouraging that they realized they had a major deficiency in the writing department. Hopefully Horizon can be the first game where their story and plotting can match the quality of their technical prowess!

Now if only Square Enix would realize the same thing and hire some real writers too.

I'm pretty confused why people are so hyped for this game. Guerilla hasnt proven they can make a good game much less a good rpg game. Is it just cause of the mecha dinosaurs?
Killzone 2 is the greatest fps ever made. Mercenaries, liberation, and shadow fall are also great.

No complaints about the visuals but SF was horrible to play for me. No idea where the heck to go. I was just lost for days in that game!
Ya. As a pretty big KZ fan, they kinda shit the bed in that aspect with SF and the story was never something to write home about. Good thing they got some new writers.

F4r0_Atak

Do they have the chops to beat a Bethesda or a Ubi though.

Graphics wise they will kill it, I'm sure.

With how Ubisoft is running their business and projects, it could be done easily enough. Bethesda, I'll have to wait E3 and see before making my decision (if Fallout 4, Doom, rumored Dishonored 2 are coming out this year).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Will you show me gameplay footage at E3? I know you reading this thread GG, please respond. Thanks.

F4r0_Atak

I'm just glad GG isn't making another Killzone for PS4, I always wanted them to create a new IP with their tech. Looking forward to this.

They have Guerilla Cambridge to fill in that role. :S

Hopefully, they (Guerilla Cambridge) will be off to better things personally. (MediEvil pls!)

Let Killzone rest a bit (for 2-3 years) and bring back Resistance (It's not like the conflict with the Chimeras was over anyway with the way Resistance 3 ended). :/

DieH@rd

Banned

dfgrx3kuks.gif

Tratorn

Please GG, make this a good game. I've a happy grin on my face everytime when I see these art works, so don't disappoint me.

spons

Gold Member
Because in terms of graphics, lore and gameplay they're actually pretty good. They've hired talented staff to deal with their writing shortcomings and it's the first time they're free from Killzone's shackles, plus the concept art/info surrounding the game look great. So plenty of reason to be hyped.

Well that's how I think about it. If they're free to do whatever they want, and not make a token launch game like KZ: SF, with the right people on board and their tech which has surely evolved over time (KZ 2 looked fantastic, both in terms of art direction and graphics tech) there's reason enough to be hyped.

I think Guerrilla are talented but I never thought FPS was for them. The Killzone series never did much for me. Hopefully this will be their calling.

Pimpbaa

I'm just happy to see them make something other than a Killzone game. Concept art looks pretty good and the people they have hired to help make the game is definitely hyping me up for this game (particularly the CD Projekt Red quest designers). Can't go wrong with a red haired female protagonist either.

That's fair, but hype its getting is pretty high when only Killzone 2 really knocked it out of the park.
The team is talented as all hell on the technical front, they seem to have hired some new talent to help out where they were weak like in the writing department. Plus the Killzone series has been the only output from them. Its exciting to see what they can do with a new IP. And yeah, robo dinos.

That's fair, but hype its getting is pretty high when only Killzone 2 really knocked it out of the park.

Its also the talent theyve hired for the game. I think people would be more aprehensive if

Useful information if you want to include it in the OP.

Some of the easily found LinkedIn pages

CDPR Quest Designer --> Game Designer at GG https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dennis-zoetebier/5/12a/859?trk=biz_employee_pub
Lead Writer for Fallout: New Vegas --> now Lead Writer for Horizon - https://nl.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez
SWTOP Contract World Designer/Scripter --> Game Designer at GG https://www.linkedin.com/pub/blake-rebouche/4/a89/869?trk=pub-pbmap

To name a few:
- Lead cinematic artist/cinematic director of The Witcher 3
- A dialog writer who previously worked on Shadow of Mordor joined the writing team
- A freelance writer from Blizzard
- A game designer who worked on Elder Scrolls Online
- And several creature artists and game designers who worked on Medieval RPGs

Werent hired.

I do hope that GG has all this untapped gameplay talent that they just couldn't bring forth with the Killzone franchise.

They are still one of my favorite developers out there.
Technically proficient and they maintain great community relations.

Luke_Wal

I always thought Horizon was just the code name, but it's a good name for a game. Very excited to see how this turns out.

vpance

There's some reason to be hyped for the points you listed, but it's still better to remain skeptical until proven otherwise IMO.

I was right to be cautious on The Order from nearly the beginning based on what RAD showed and their 0 track record in creating a big AAA title. GG's made some steps in the right direction by hiring good help, but I'm going to continue keeping my expectations low to not be disappointed. I feel people put first party devs on a bit of a pedestal around here.

I do hope that GG has all this untapped gameplay talent that they just couldn't bring forth with the Killzone franchise.

They are still one of my favorite developers out there.
Technically proficient and they maintain great community relations.

you know this team who lacks gameplay talent created some of the finest multiplayer ever to grace a shooter in KZ2 and Shadowfall.

There's some reason to be hyped for the points you listed, but it's still better to remain skeptical until proven otherwise IMO.

Frankly, this is true for all things.

Despite Bungie's amazing pedigree, Destiny didn't turn out to be a critical darling out-the-gate, other than gameplay.

CDPR and MGSV (at least based off previews) were the respective dev's first open-world game, and they appear to be shaming Ubisoft and the like ( expert open-world devs) at what they're doing.

Free Radical Design released 4 strong titles (3 TimeSplitters & Second Sight)... and then they released Haze.

For all the people that love Killzone 2, how did you get over the input lag issues?

I swear when I played that game I would push a button and wait for my character to start doing something. There's a complete disconnect from what you're doing with the controls and what's on screen.

I never quite got the "talent" thing other than being technically proficient, which is probably the least interesting part of videogames.

Obsidian and cdpr writers is far more important to note!

Totally agree. If they can get people who actually know how to tell stories and not just string sentences together, and combine them with GG's technical abilities -- look out. I'm interested, for sure.

For all the people that love Killzone 2, how did you get over the input lag issues?

I swear when I played that game I would push a button and wait for my character to start doing something. There's a complete disconnect from what you're doing with the controls and what's on screen.

I never quite got the "talent" thing other than being technically proficient, which is probably the least interesting part of videogames.

never had an issue like this with the game.

I honestly didnt realise there was input lag till i heard complaints online.

Sorc3r3r

I was right to be cautious on The Order from nearly the beginning based on what RAD showed and their 0 track record in creating a big AAA title. GG's made some steps in the right direction by hiring good help, but I'm going to continue keeping my expectations low to not be disappointed. I feel people put first party devs on a bit of a pedestal around here.

It has to be seen how much the new guys will be engaged in the project, how much the game direction will involve or marginalize their work.

Top Bottom