• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Launch Date announced: August 28th, 2012

BrettWeir

If we all pitch in we can buy gems that will help us PWN (kids still say that?) in WvWvW.

I'm buying insta-jib gems 3 days before launch. In fact, I bought a Launch Gem of 2 Days Before Noobz which gives me access on the 23rd.

I'm buying the $100 gem that gets me to level 80 right away. Can't wait.

zulfate

I'm buying the $100 gem that gets me to level 80 right away. Can't wait.

im buying gems on release too and buying that armor dills was talking about you know the one that lets me catch up to play with friends-oh wait there arent any!

seriously though i am buying gems but i dont want to spend them on anything yet, maybe gold?

BrettWeir

im buying gems on release too and buying that armor dills was talking about you know the one that lets me catch up to play with friends-oh wait there arent any!

seriously though i am buying gems but i dont want to spend them on anything yet, maybe gold?

I "was" going to buy bank slots.....until I read the thread I posted on GAFguild regarding storage. Now I have $50 of gems....what to do, what to do.....

Jira

Also, there are apparently foods made with cooking that can offer exp boosts as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar buffs for Karma and crafting from other foods.

But more importantly, leveling isn't that hard in the game that anyone should feel obligated to pay more to level faster. There will likely be people at the level cap by the end of the first week. Sure, someone will be the first person to hit that cap, and he might do so using exp boosts, but who cares? The people who didn't buy the exp boosts will hit the level cap a day later at most.

If anything, the people who are getting screwed on this proposition are the people willing to pay anything for a tiny advantage. They are going to shell out tons of money, and not get any real benefit in return. People who fear that it will be necessary to purchase things in order to keep up or to remain competitive have nothing to worry about.

I'm pretty positive that now all food has a +10XP buff for kills.

Helmholtz

Anyone who says GW1 looks bad obviously hasn't played Eye of the North. I enjoyed some of the environments in that game even more than a lot of the stuff I've seen in GW2. (in response to people saying it hasn't aged well)
In terms of combat... it's still entirely playable. Not action oriented, but few MMO type games were back then.

zulfate

i am visiting my family by the time ill get home it will be 9-10pm so i wont be on tonight guys :(
i did like that last mumble meet and greet,

imagine me yelling lump of cole!! and telling computer to stop rolling his face on the keyboad hehe ;)

Eww. Apologies to fans of the first game, but I don't think it has aged well at all! Linking my account will give me 3 points, so I only need 3 more for the heritage gear. Should I just burn through all the campaigns ASAP to get these?

I feel the same way, but pretty much exactly in reverse. I expect GW2 to be the best MMORPG ever, and it is from what I've played of it, but GW1 is better than any MMORPG...

But from the last time I posted in this thread, I think it seems to be quite clear that not many GW1 fans are playing GW2. They'd better succeed with that WoW fanbase that they're aiming at, because the game certainly has turned off many GW1 fans. (I mean, so many people actually defending the strict limitations on skillbar customizability... mystifying to me, it really is. And clearly not things from people who loved the original game.)

etiolate

Banned
I feel the same way, but pretty much exactly in reverse. I expect GW2 to be the best MMORPG ever, and it is from what I've played of it, but GW1 is better than any MMORPG...

But from the last time I posted in this thread, I think it seems to be quite clear that not many GW1 fans are playing GW2. They'd better succeed with that WoW fanbase that they're aiming at, because the game certainly has turned off many GW1 fans. (I mean, so many people actually defending the strict limitations on skillbar stabilizability... mystifying to me, it really is. And clearly not things from people who loved the original game.)

Eh, I'm a GW1 fan and I like the sequel. They are different games, and I'd like to customize my skillbar more, but there are advancements in how skills interact in the second game.

I do miss hexes though.

Proven

But from the last time I posted in this thread, I think it seems to be quite clear that not many GW1 fans are playing GW2. They'd better succeed with that WoW fanbase that they're aiming at, because the game certainly has turned off many GW1 fans. (I mean, so many people actually defending the strict limitations on skillbar stabilizability... mystifying to me, it really is. And clearly not things from people who loved the original game.)

I saw GW1 a lot like a collectible card game. GW2 retains a bit of this customization, but not a lot. In my opinion, it keeps the stuff that matters.

Here's someone who is more eloquent than I cam talking about card game balance in general

http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2012/7/18/a-discussion-of-balance.html
(Scroll down to the Metagame section for Magic: The Gathering talk)

http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2012/8/12/scg4-update.html

The basics is, there are certain things to be gained by limiting options by a certain degree.

From the festival going on in GW1 right now.
KONAh.jpg

I just noticed the end of EOTN says the future calls upon the
"children of the legends" after explicitly saying our characters were the legends.

I thought it was confirmed that
it wasn't our character's children in GW2?

I just noticed the end of EOTN says the future calls upon the
"children of the legends" after explicitly saying our characters were the legends.

I thought it was confirmed that
it wasn't our character's children in GW2?
I think it was meant as a general statement that all of our characters are descendants of the ones in GW1. There's a very good reason you got a Charr, Norn, and Asura hero in EotN (Sylvari didn't exist at this point).

Spoilers?

Wow, not even sure what I was thinking. Marked. Please unquote that post.

I think it was meant as a general statement that all of our
characters are descendants of the ones in GW1. There's a very good reason you got a Charr, Norn, and Asura hero in EotN (Sylvari didn't exist at this point).

Yeah, but it did say something about
new people rising, and it showed a tree sprouting.

I guess it does make sense that
they're all descendants, but I'd really prefer direct lineage.
I'm not sure why they skimped on that. =\

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Mhmmmm. How to tell my girlfriend that I have to click "login" for 3h and don't really feel like hanging out... mhmmm.

Top Bottom