• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Launch Date announced: August 28th, 2012

Rapture

Great time on Mumble tonight! It was nice getting acquainted with those who showed up, see the rest of you guys on the 25th! ;)

It's all in the interpretation. Some people think ANY advantage no meaning how small is paying to win. Whether you believe that or not is opinion.. you can't argue over it.

Well, some people think that tinfoil hats prevent you from being mind controlled. Doesn't mean I understand where they're coming from. Not all opinions are equally valid, and ones grounded on fallacies and misinformation are not as valid as those grounded on truth.

(Sorry, I have this pet peeve against the great lie that is "all opinions are subjective and therefore they can't be inherently better or worse").

The complaint is in the boosts, but they fail to realize that:

1) Being max level doesn't have as clear of an advantage as other MMOs.
2) Anyone can buy the boosts with in-game gold. This makes things like karma boosts, probably used only at end-game, very viable to buy with gold because the player will have a lot of in-game disposable income at that point.

3) Karma boosts mean nothing because you can't buy any equipment with Karma that's better than dropped equipment.
4) Not like any of this is relevant for PvP, since you can't use PvE items on it, or ANYTHING bought with gems for that matter. You could make the case for WvW, but really, there's so many more important factors that anyone defending any kind of advantage by using gems is really misinformed.

I feel like this thread needs locking until the OT because people are talking about nothing.

So what's the difference for you between that and simply not checking it? Also, where are we going to post if any stress tests are up?

jono51

Banned
Just done the Tyrian and Canthan Reverie quests in gw1. Pretty awesome seeing some of those places again. Put up and album for the two of them (Tyria, Cantha) if any wants to see some pictures of the areas and stuff. Will probably do the same for Elona & EotN tomorrow. I hope we get to see some of the places again, especially Mineral Springs. Really loved going through that place again.

Levyne

Banned
Just done the Tyrian and Canthan Reverie quests in gw1. Pretty awesome seeing some of those places again. Put up and album for the two of them (Tyria, Cantha) if any wants to see some pictures of the areas and stuff. Will probably do the same for Elona & EotN tomorrow. I hope we get to see some of the places again, especially Mineral Springs. Really loved going through that place again.

Just went through those quests myself. I even already had a tormented weapon so I did it for the hell of it. Visually, Guild Wars still looks pretty darn good when you consider its age. Thanks for the pictures.

desverger

Just went through those quests myself. I even already had a tormented weapon so I did it for the hell of it. Visually, Guild Wars still looks pretty darn good when you consider its age. Thanks for the pictures.

Is the Tormented weapon customized for you when you do the quest? I thought I'd help a friend out with his points but if it indeed is customized, then it's not gonna be much help :p

Levyne

Banned
Yep. So unless you need one for your hall or hope to get one for a character, then the reward is not useful from a practical standpoint.

It makes sense to have it customized though considering the quest chain is only ~6 hours long. Would wonk up the economy for a while, otherwise.

desverger

Fair dos. I'm at 30 already, and while I don't have a Tormented weapon, I don't really feel a need for one either.

Shame then, suppose I'll just do the quests for nostalgy's sake. Did the EotN earlier, and wasn't sure if I was supposed to do the mission or not for the Bloodstone Caves, but ended doing it without and clearing the dungeon normally - all good fun and got some silly green drop as well :)

epmode

I just started playing GW1 a week or two ago. I now have a level 20 elementalist and I'm very nearly done with my first campaign. Is there any chance that I can do that new holiday quest? I could really use one of those weapons for the Hall of Monuments.

Speaking of which, is it ridiculously difficult to get minipets for a new player? I figured there'd be some low-hanging fruit like WoW but the wiki makes it sound like it'll take ages.

LkPr

Client patch this morning...hopefully stress test incoming tomorrow

(reality stress test when I am at work on monday)

I think that was the client patch that dropped yesterday, pretty small (I just tried to update and nothing, but I updated yesterday)

BrettWeir

I just started playing GW1 a week or two ago. I now have a level 20 elementalist and I'm very nearly done with my first campaign. Is there any chance that I can do that new holiday quest? I could really use one of those weapons for the Hall of Monuments.

Speaking of which, is it ridiculously difficult to get minipets for a new player? I figured there'd be some low-hanging fruit like WoW but the wiki makes it sound like it'll take ages.

The new quest is pretty much a world tour of all campaigns. Would take quite awhile if you don't have all areas discovered throughout the game.

You would have to purchase most (all, except the baby Moa .. which is quite a long quest itself, and also need to have a ton of areas throughout all campaigns discovered and done all of the Sorrow's Furnace quests) of the mini-pets. Lowest I have seen is 5k for some 1 year minis.

I got 20 minipets in 2 days trading at EotN District 1, blowing a ton of money on a Unique Eye of Janthir. The prices I paid ranged from 3k-7k depending on the year gift they were from. The unique was 21 ectos, so if you don't want to or can't get the Black Moa Chick, be prepared to spend a ton for that point.

BrettWeir

So apparently upgrading from standard to DDE via the BLTC is going to cost $5 more than if you had purchased the DDE from the get go. 2000 gems. Log in, go to the Upgrades tab.

**Removed link. I don't like that it's a redirect.

Forkball

Just give me another stress test, Anet. Even for ten minutes and all I do is get lost in Divinity's Reach, that's all I ask!

Anyone have any tips for keybinds? I will probably bind 7-10 to something else (maybe shift+1234). I will be a thief in case you have any custom binds for that class.

BrettWeir

Also....

Seems like some new items have been added to the BLTC.

58006e6b.png

723ef6d9.png

e6f16d24.png

You mean from Guild Wars 1? Yeah, the deadline has already passed on that. If you didn't log into a character in Guild Wars 1 sometime this year prior to July 31st (I believe), then you do not have that name saved going into Guild Wars 2.

Oh, I thought I had to actively sign up for something. I'm good then, though I don't really want my GW1 names.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That's an in game item? I'm not a fan of putting baseball caps in this game, because they clearly don't fit, but I guess they already have aviators so that ship has sailed.

It seems to be. Will probably fit great to the GW2 T-Shirt you could get as an ingame item at Gamescom, haven't seen that one on a picture yet though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Baseball caps in game? When do we get space marine assault rifle carrying pets and motorcycle mounts? ugh

Honestly? In a world with science-y teleportation portals, tanks, laser guns and golems, who are basically robots and/or mechs, why wouldn't there be caps?

I know what you're saying, and I'm not 100% feeling it either, but still, GW2 isn't High Fantasy, it's more likely a Steampunk-y world between traditional High Fantasy, Sci-fi and Science Fantasy. Also I'm pretty sure Items like that were available in GW1, too - correct me if I'm wrong.

Not sure why you'd pay money for epic looking armor. That's kinda a large reason to play the game in the first place is it not?

It's not sure yet if those armors are actual armors, or rather town clothes, like the pirate set etc (which is what I think).

Deitus

How do you guys place your ranged skills on an area? When I try to cast something, it allways casts where my character is standing

It sounds like you had smart cast enabled. That will cast the spell wherever your mouse cursor is when you activate the skill.

Check the game options to make sure to disable that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even know why I just thought of this, but anyway:

Did anyone of you guys wear a non-starter heavy armor in the game that actually looked 'heavy', and not like a chainmail thingie?
Because my question would be: If your character moves, do the parts of said armor "stretch" with it, as if it were just painted on the body, or do they actually look and move like solid pieces of metal?

I dunno, that detail always bugged me in all other MMO's, and I kinda hope Anet finally does it better.

Jira

Depends on whether those particular sets are even available outside the BLTC or not.

Unlikely as those seem to be GW1 armor.

Oh also, could you guys post some screens you've taken with the UI on (BWE2+ please)? Also, please upload them to abload.de in either .png or .bmp. Thanks.

Jira

I don't even know why I just thought of this, but anyway:

Did anyone of you guys wear a non-starter heavy armor in the game that actually looked 'heavy', and not like a chainmail thingie?
Because my question would be: If your character moves, do the parts of said armor "stretch" with it, as if it were just painted on the body, or do they actually look and move like solid pieces of metal?

I dunno, that detail always bugged me in all other MMO's, and I kinda hope Anet finally does it better.

Yep, I did on my Warrior. No, armor is actually modeled in this game, not painted textures on the character model itself.

Jira

Yeah, why do they do stress tests in the middle of the day on weekdays? That's not a stress test, everybody's at work.

Last time I checked, the US wasn't the only country in the world. They do a test to cater to Europe and then another to cater to NA. Also, believe it or not, but Europe has a massive GW following, ESPECIALLY in Germany where amazon.de has had GW2 in the top 100 sales for 180 days which destroys anything else as far as gaming is concerned.

Wallach

Last time I checked, the US wasn't the only country in the world. They do a test to cater to Europe and then another to cater to NA. Also, believe it or not, but Europe has a massive GW following, ESPECIALLY in Germany where amazon.de has had GW2 in the top 100 sales for 180 days which destroys anything else as far as gaming is concerned.

Germany's like 9 hours ahead of my time, so 12-4 is like 9-1 for them.

Top Bottom