• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 now Free to Play, Expansion releases Oct. 23rd

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Main problem i have is the cool looking shit is tied to the caah shop

Eh, I've yet to find anything personally on the cash shop that looks nice to me (it's all rather guady), except for the Explorer Outfit. So I made some in-game gold, and bought it with that. At least you *can* avoid spending any real money, by just converting gold to gems.

Walpurgis

Banned
I'm going to assume they added even more random F2P garbage compared to what was in the paid game before?
Yeah, I'm probably not going to play this game again. It's unique feature was that it was B2P and wasn't pay2win. With those changes to gem conversions a while ago and now this, I see where there heads are at and I want no part in it.

Quite a lot of endgame. But no perpetual gear tier grind, to give the illusion of endgame. That's why it's a great game.

Unless you enjoy gear "grind" (which once people hit raiding in most mmos isn't a grind any more, instead it's basically an evening playing games with friends) in which case the game is pretty awful.
I don't play mmos for their story. I don't want to be one of these thousands of special snowflake people who have all saved the world simultaneously. If developers want to make a story focused game they should make a single player game. In my opinion, Guild wars 2s only saving grace was it's incredible combat and pvp.

Yeah, I'm probably not going to play this game again. It's unique feature was that it was B2P and wasn't pay2win. With those changes to gem conversions a while ago and now this, I see where there heads are at and I want no part in it.

It's still not pay2win, and I have no idea what "changes to gem conversions" you're talking about. If you're talking about gold to gem having been locked into specific amounts of gems, that was changed back a week later.

Unless you enjoy gear "grind" (which one people hit raiding in most mmos isn't a grind any more, instead it's basically an evening playing games with friends) in which case the game is pretty awful.
I don't play mmos for their story. I don't want to be one of these thousands of special snowflake people who have all saved the world simultaneously. If developers want to make a story focused game they should make a single player game. In my opinion, Guild wars 2s only saving grace was it's incredible combat and pvp.

I do not enjoy gear grind. Thus, I enjoy GW2. If GW2 had gear grind, it'd be like every other MMO, and I wouldn't enjoy it. I see your point though - people who like that endless treadmill thing won't find that enjoyment in GW2. I might recommend FFXIV for them then (great game, too).

I don't play MMOs for their story either. I play GW2 as "an evening playing games with friends", doing the content, etc. I don't need a constant carrot on a stick to get me to play it, playing it is fun enough for its own sake for me.

Retro

any veteran reward or bonus?

If you already own the game, you get a new outfit within the next week, but that's about it. They seem to be walking a very careful line between letting F2P players get a genuine taste for the game (instead of limiting them to, say, level 20) and treating them like a second class of players.

great game. terrible end game

Well, they did just announce raids, as well as an end game progression system ("Masteries") in the expansion. Not to mention that the Living World basically adds new content every two weeks when it's live (usually months at a time with a month or two break in between).

Apart from that, there's PVP, World vs. World, Alts (since each class plays differently, it's worth trying each one, and the game is very alt-friendly), lots of little PvE things like skin collecting, achievements (doing all of the jumping puzzles is one of the best ones), etc.

Finally, you can stop playing (yes, really). You can play other games, do something non-gaming, whatever. For people who want to play an MMO but don't want to be forced to constantly play it to keep up with everyone, this is one of the few options available since there's no gear grind, level cap increase or subscription to manage. For some people, the absence of a special, specific thing that you do over and over again forever until the end of time is a good thing. If that's something you want though, you're in luck; there's a ton of other MMOs out there.

Retro

What do they mean by selected item list in trading post restriction?

Not sure yet, still looking for info on that. Probably something to prevent free players from buying high-end crafting materials and such. Will add it to the first post when I find something.

PatzCU

Pretty big news! Arena Net already made many strides to make the game world feel alive no matter what your server's population is (instancing players from all servers into low population world regions so there are always players for events and whatnot). Going F2P is going to really boost the player population which is great because this game greatly benefits from having many players running around the world.

For anyone remotely interested, GW2, to me, feels like an action-RPG MMO with platformer elements. If you enjoy filling bars and being a completionist, you will love this game. Can't say I love the end-game but there is always plenty to do.

Anyway - F2P announcement is great news for newcomers and veterans alike.

Proven

Eh, I've yet to find anything personally on the cash shop that looks nice to me (it's all rather guady), except for the Explorer Outfit. So I made some in-game gold, and bought it with that. At least you *can* avoid spending any real money, by just converting gold to gems.

I'm going to +1 Miktar. Some people have posted meltdowns over stuff in the gem/cash shop. I personally see all of it as, at best, okay, and at worst, incredibly tacky and terrible looking. There are still hundreds of skins in the game that you have to go digging for, but most don't seem to know or care about them. There's also the fact that they advertise the new gem/cash shop clothes way more often than they highlight the stuff in game you have to look for or work to unlock.

Morokh

This was one thing that annoyed me when I got back into the game last April, seeing that every new full armor skin in the game so far at the time was only available in the gem store, but the thing is they started making changes in that regard.

There won't be any full set of armor in the gem store anymore, they will all be obtainable in-game like the armor they introduced with Living Story season 2.

They will instead focus on outfits, that are (usually silly) full body costumes that you can't mix and match like armor, and specific skin pieces.

Black Lion weapons aren't an issue since you can get them on the trading post for in game gold.

The rest, is absolutely and completely optional.

Vecks

This is pretty big news. I always expected them to hold strong since they managed to keep the first one B2P. Might give it a shot to check out the story content.

Retro

Mine is almost downloaded. Can't wait to give this a try.

What server will people be on?

Server only really matters for World vs. World. You can join any player in any map regardless of what server they're on with one exception; North America and Europe are on different data centers, so you won't be able to play with folks on NA servers if you're on a Euro one and vice-versa.

Otherwise, you can right-click a party member's portrait and select "Join in..." and you can jump to whatever copy of the zone they're in. Eventually the game's Megaserver system will weigh who your friends / guildmates are and start putting you in maps with them automatically. Guilds are cross-server as well (and you can belong to up to 5 at once too). If all of that fails, you can also manually pick which server you're playing on temporarily by selecting the "Guest" option from the character select screen. No transfer fees or anything.

Having said all of that, the GAF Guild plays on Stormbluff Isle (NA), but we have people scattered all over due to their WvW preferences. For what it's worth, SBI is a middle tier server when it comes to WvW; neither ultra competitive nor inactive.

Malalaw

Server only really matters for World vs. World. You can join any player in any map regardless of what server they're on with one exception; North America and Europe are on different data centers, so you won't be able to play with folks on NA servers if you're on a Euro one and vice-versa.

Otherwise, you can right-click a party member's portrait and select "Join in..." and you can jump to whatever copy of the zone they're in. Eventually the game's Megaserver system will weigh who your friends / guildmates are and start putting you in maps with them automatically. Guilds are cross-server as well (and you can belong to up to 5 at once too). If all of that fails, you can also manually pick which server you're playing on temporarily by selecting the "Guest" option from the character select screen. No transfer fees or anything.

Having said all of that, the GAF Guild plays on Stormbluff Isle (NA), but we have people scattered all over due to their WvW preferences. For what it's worth, SBI is a middle tier server; neither ultra competitive nor inactive.

Thanks for clearing that up! Looks like I'm going to Stormbluff.

Morokh

Don't freak-out if you're swarmed by people when you get out of the little bit of story when you create your character, there are 'welcome parties' in every starting zone right now :p

Retro

Don't freak-out if you're swarmed by people when you get out of the little bit of story when you create your character, there are 'welcome parties' in every starting zone right now :p

Oh yeah, I swung by Queensdale and there's a shitload of people dropping buff banners and answering questions. Don't be overwhelmed if you exit the short introduction instance and you're surrounded by people.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
This was one thing that annoyed me when I got back into the game last April, seeing that every new full armor skin in the game so far at the time was only available in the gem store, but the thing is they started making changes in that regard.

There won't be any full set of armor in the gem store anymore, they will all be obtainable in-game like the armor they introduced with Living Story season 2.

They will instead focus on outfits, that are (usually silly) full body costumes that you can't mix and match like armor, and specific skin pieces.

Black Lion weapons aren't an issue since you can get them on the trading post for in game gold.

The rest, is absolutely and completely optional.

Its good they have finally headed that direction but for many at time the damage was done.

would like to see how raids turn out.

is there a list/explanation of specializations or have they not announced/talked about them all yet

SlickVic

any veteran reward or bonus?

It would've been nice for those us who played before to get maybe a $10 credit on the store. I kinda wanted to buy some character outfits in the store, but after seeing a single outfit cost $7-$10, I had to nope out of there.

Morokh

It would've been nice for those us who played before to get maybe a $10 credit on the store. I kinda wanted to buy some character outfits in the store, but after seeing a single outfit cost $7-$10, I had to nope out of there.

You get a free exclusive outfit if you had a paid account before today's announcement.

Zeroth

there is something about the movement speed, it feels soooo slow

Certain races (charr and norn) feel "slower" than other races, despite moving at the same pace. Try playing an asura, or use Movement Speed boosts (like signets that improve it, available on classes like thief and elementalist).

Morokh

All characters move at the same speed, but if you made a Norn or a Charr yep, you'll have the impression of being a bit slow, but it's just an illusion.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Downloading now but anyone know the best setup or class or items or whatever to make an angelic/holy warrior type character?

Morokh

Downloading now but anyone know the best setup or class or items or whatever to make an angelic/holy warrior type character?

As far as looks goes, any heavy class wil fit the 'warrior' look, and you can make it look angelic with armor pieces and dyes if you want.

For the class, Guardian is the one that will fit this role best, as it's kind of the closest to a paladin.

Race has no influence at all so pick what you like best.

Retro

there is something about the movement speed, it feels soooo slow

If you're playing a Norn or Charr, they feel slower because of their larger size (similar to how Taurens felt slow in WoW if you're familiar with that). Everyone's movement speed is normalized, but the bigger races have to animate slower as a result. At the other end of the scale, Asurans feel like they're flying.

Most professions have access to passive speed buffs, either through Signet skills or traits. Most professions also have access to the Swiftness buff which gives a 33% speed increase. Between those options every profession can get around faster.

Optionally, there are also armor runes that grant a passive movement speed increase, though that tends to be a more expensive option.

Zeroth

This is pretty cool. I've always wanted to try Guild Wars, and now I've got my shot.

So anyone can join up - even if you're fresh out of the box?

Yup, everyone is welcome!

Guardian is the closest to what you are looking for. It's a class that resembles a Paladin in other MMOS, but it's not a tank in any sense (you offer support in the form of boons and stuff).

KiteGr

Its more of a trial than a f2p model...

Still with no subscription you only need to pay for the game once!

yatesl

I wonder how bad the refunds hurt them. I bought the game earlier in the year, and got to about level 50 (I think?) and just burnt out before the end game.

I'm not going to lie, I jumped at the chance to get my £12 refunded back to me when they offered it when the expansion was announced

Zeroth

Still with no subscription you only need to pay for the game once!

I feel the idea is that people eventually buy the game. That said, this is bigger than a demo but smaller than a real F2P game

Retro

But it's the full game you're getting for free, there's no level cap or limit on where you can go or what you can do content wise (except for some level restrictions very early on). They probably won't get access to the Living Story chapters either since that requires the expansion, I don't see anything official on that but it seems likely.

The only restrictions are to prevent free players from being disruptive (mostly a bot / gold spammer issue) or make having a ton of free mules prohibitive (the character / bag restrictions).

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
As far as looks goes, any heavy class wil fit the 'warrior' look, and you can make it look angelic with armor pieces and dyes if you want.

For the class, Guardian is the one that will fit this role best, as it's kind of the closest to a paladin.

Race has no influence at all so pick what you like best.

Guardian it is, thank you!

Morokh

I wonder how bad the refunds hurt them. I bought the game earlier in the year, and got to about level 50 (I think?) and just burnt out before the end game.

I'm not going to lie, I jumped at the chance to get my £12 refunded back to me when they offered it when the expansion was announced

Don't worry, gem store items surely have covered those losses more than enough ..... those damn wing backpack skins ..... damn wings everywhere .....

nubbe

Certain races (charr and norn) feel "slower" than other races, despite moving at the same pace. Try playing an asura, or use Movement Speed boosts (like signets that improve it, available on classes like thief and elementalist).

Yup, it is a Norn
I'll try the asura later and see how that feels

Grotar

Pick guardian or warrior and some of this armor

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/White_Feather_Wings_Backpack

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Radiant_armor_(heavy)

And use white dyes, in game there is wardrobe and u can preview any armor on your char, there are tons of options, these were just first that came on my mind, whit angelic/ holy type

Jira

Don't worry, gem store items surely have covered those losses more than enough ..... those damn wing backpack skins ..... damn wings everywhere .....

Yep, GW2 brings in over $100m a year, majority of which is from the gem store. That's why they went F2P because the more people coming into the game increases the chance that someone will buy something. No barrier of entry means more people will try it, even $10 may deter some people. If they like it enough then they'll drop the $50 on HoT and there's no split playerbase.

nataku

Yup, it is a Norn
I'll try the asura later and see how that feels

You could also just try making your character shorter during character creation. Personally, I can't play a tall Charr or Norn because they feel like they're running too slow. The height for both races needs to be set within the first quarter of the slider to feel decent for me, the shorter the better.

Doukou

Is anyone having trouble creating an account, just keep getting "we were unable to register an account using the information provided. Please check your information and try again." I already had an account on the free weekend but it says my email is invalid.

Fantastic announcements! Although a lot was already hinted/spoiled.

Legendary Armor is a surprise though. My guild being only 6-deep will be an issue with raiding content. But looking forward to the newness of it all.

Top Bottom