• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 now Free to Play, Expansion releases Oct. 23rd

You get a free slot for any of the pre-order options if you had registered an account before January 23 this year (beware it might not be added to your account right away)
It was added after on the page so it's not clear on first glance, but there is a little link on the page that clears it.
( if you buy the deluxe or ultimate and fullfill the requirement above you get 2 slots)

Really? wow I did not click the "*Learn more about the additional pre-purchase offer" link on the main page, that is great then.

That is the only thing that was stopping me from getting the expansion pack, I guess I'm sweet now.

Just wanted to say that Guild Wars 2 is my favorite MMO and if I'm not actively playing, it's because I can't justify devoting time to it now that the missus doesn't have a GW2-able PC, and also because I've burned out of MMOs in general. As a massive classic FF fan and after hearing all the gushing praise about it, I gave the PS4 FFXIV trial a go, and while it's beautiful (character models and expressions are amazing), the second I was sent outside to kill 10 ladybugs with a battle system out of the early 2000's I was out.

I miss Retro, Kos Luftar (or some say Kosm Luftar), my man Hawkian and the rest of the crew a lot, though. Amazing people all around, keep fighting the good fight, guys. :)

Check out the Community OT, we have a whole section in the first post about controller support.

OK, that OT has to be Post of all Time. I'm honored to be part of it. :)

If you don't buy HoT, you'll still have access to : :
- Stronghold the new sPvP mode (but won't have acess to the complete selection of summonable heroes)
- The new WwW Borderland ( you might have some restrictions on some guild related upgrades though)
- Part of the guild hall experience : you won't have access to your guild's guild hall but you'll be able to take advantage of some of the features in the Guild Initiative headquarters in Lion's Arch

Some changes already happened in game in preparation for the expansion so if you haven't played in a while there was a big revamp to all the trait system, that is in some way also part of the expansion (the most notable thing that it made happen is finally make condition builds as good as power builds)

One thing I'm not sure-of is if non HoT players will have acess to the new map reward system.
Same for the changes for Fractals, I don't think we have enough details about how it will affect players who won't upgrade.

as for the price go to the GW2 website on the preorder page and look for the Standard edition, that'"s the cheapest you can get it (it's around $50 but price may vary depending on region and currency)

Oh, that explains a lot. Thanks!
Now I'm gonna fetch my friends to finally play the game.

Retro

Christ, I bought the game day one since I enjoyed the hell out of the gw1 beta (lol didn't actually buy it); so what happens with gw2? Play it for less than a week. Haven't gone back since. :(

Me too.

Preordered for 55€. Played for a week.
I gues I was already burned out by WoW. Haven't even played a MMO since then.

You both already own the game, and after 3 years quite a bit has changed. All it costs is bandwidth to see if it clicks with you this time.

If you're going with the $75 the $100 has more value, since the amount of gems you get for the additional $25 is more than what you'll actually get if you buy the gems separately. Unless, of course, you don't want the gems.

nah. don't want the gem. went to look at the marketplace. i probably should have waited. maybe they would have put up the expansion on there and i'll grind forever to pay it off LOL

Zeroth

Woops you're probably right with the dungeons. Totally forgot them it seems. And to the PvP comment, yes it's true that in competitive environments only skill should matter. My bad for wording it so dumb. I wanted to say that there is no customization in skills and playstyle except from which weapon you use every class plays the same for every player. Maybe that is false too and I'm talking myself into trouble and should stop now. Clearly should revisit the game first.

Just wanted to say this is not quite true. A class' weapon makes a world of difference to a class, a dagger/dagger elementalist plays very different from a staff elementalist, and so on. You also have 3 utility slots that you can customize and they can change how you play your class.

Sincerely, GW2's PvP structure is praised by all of its players, even if it has issues like matchmaking properly (which leagues will hopefully help with).

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Are there ANY ways to get gems in the game or are those always real money no matter what? I know some games you can slowly grind their real money thing.

I just need 500 fast gems for those angel wings and am willing to grind for it for as long as it takes :(

Want those damn wings.

spiritfox

You can convert gold to gems, but 1) it's not available for free accounts, 2) the conversion rate is pretty high. If you just started you'll never have the gold for it.

MikeDip

You can convert gold to gems, but 1) it's not available for free accounts, 2) the conversion rate is pretty high. If you just started you'll never have the gold for it.

Darn. Was hoping they had like an entry level quest to give out 500 gems to give you a sweet sweet taste of the good stuff to temp you buying more.

Those wings are now out of reach :(

Miletius

Is it worth buying a box of the base game for any bonuses if you can find one cheap? I'm interested in checking the game out and don't really mind dropping a small amount to get those restrictions lifted.

Zeroth

Is it worth buying a box of the base game for any bonuses if you can find one cheap? I'm interested in checking the game out and don't really mind dropping a small amount to get those restrictions lifted.

Sincerely, I would just play the free version and if you like it, buy the HoT version. The base game being sold standalone has been discontinued, And although you can buy it from a third party retailer, I think the HoT upgrade is worth if if you enjoy the base game.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
You both already own the game, and after 3 years quite a bit has changed. All it costs is bandwidth to see if it clicks with you this time.

I was the exact same way as them, tried it a few times even. Then, earlier this year I was bored at home (lots of time off from a surgery) and tried it again. Put more time in this time, tried different classes and.....

Click!

Having a blast now.

Retro

Darn. Was hoping they had like an entry level quest to give out 500 gems to give you a sweet sweet taste of the good stuff to temp you buying more.

Those wings are now out of reach :(

I wouldn't worry, the universe has a way of working these things out.
36eX2S0.gif

I was the exact same way as them, tried it a few times even. Then, earlier this year I was bored at home (lots of time off from a surgery) and tried it again. Put more time in this time, tried different classes and.....

Click!

Having a blast now.

Yep, whenever people jump into the OT and say "I like it, but...", the first thing we usually suggest is trying a different profession. Since each one plays so differently, even ones that seem really similar like Warrior and Guardian, it can radically change your experience. For example, before launch my wife planned to go Ranger, but in the BWE she gave Mesmer a try and it ended up really clicking with her. I went into the BWEs expecting to go Warrior or Guardian and my main now is Engineer, of all things.

It makes a WORLD of difference, and I often wonder if the folks who played the game for a couple weeks and quit just picked a class similar to what they played in other MMOs and that colored their entire opinion. I can imagine people going from Warlock to Necromancer and it being a complete misfire, for example. One of the other GAF Guild leaders likens it to selecting a character in a fighting game; who you pick changes everything, even if the fundamentals are basically the same.

Retro

Ah oh man. Amazing, I don't have words.

Thank you! Truly.

Not a problem, they're a limited- time kinda thing and who knows when they'll be back.

Edit: We need a screenshot ASAP though!

they should push out the new launcher for hot now. or i have to uninstall and download the client for HoT again.

Actually, they're some kind of networking wizards over there at ArenaNet, people who pre-ordered the expansion don't even need to download a new client to participate in the Beta Weekends, they have the Beta client running in the game's client, same character select screen and everything.

There's no downtime for server maintenance either, I don't think the game has been down for more than 10 hours total over the last 3 years. The longest I think was when they were implementing the account wallets and they wanted to be very very very careful no one's gold or dungeon tokens were erased... they predicted 6 but it was closer to 3. So... no more being unable to play for 8 hours every Tuesday or whatever.

When they push an update, you'll get an in-game message about a new build being available, but if you don't leave the zone you're in (or if you're in a dungeon) you have a whole hour of leeway before the client resets. It goes straight to the launcher, downloads and you can jump right back in. It's insane.

Not a problem, they're a limited- time kinda thing and who knows when they'll be back.

Actually, they're some kind of networking wizards over there at ArenaNet, people who pre-ordered the expansion don't even need to download a new client to participate in the Beta Weekends, they have the Beta client running in the game's client, same character select screen and everything.

There's no downtime for server maintenance either, I don't think the game has been down for more than 10 hours total over the last 3 years. The longest I think was when they were implementing the account wallets and they wanted to be very very very careful no one's gold or dungeon tokens were erased... they predicted 6 but it was closer to 3. So... no more being unable to play for 8 hours every Tuesday or whatever.

When they push an update, you'll get an in-game message about a new build being available, but if you don't leave the zone you're in (or if you're in a dungeon) you have a whole hour of leeway before the client resets. It goes straight to the launcher, downloads and you can jump right back in. It's insane.
hm. interesting.

Only the core game is F2P, and with limitations if you play for free.

You still have to buy the Expac though.

I can live with that.

It's a great PvP game. PvE is hit or miss.

MikeDip

Edit: We need a screenshot ASAP though!

Working on figuring out how to use it haha. Need a back item apparently to attach it to I believe. Was checking the wiki for stuff, seems I can craft some soon when I start doing that!

Will send picture asap don't worry!

Retro

Working on figuring out how to use it haha. Need a back item apparently to attach it to I believe. Was checking the wiki for stuff, seems I can craft some soon when I start doing that!

Will send picture asap don't worry!

It should work as a package; you double click it and it will create the wing skin and a "Backpack straps" item in your inventory that you can apply the skin to. And before you worry, once you use it it'll be added to your account wardrobe so you can put it on any future back items you use (costs a transmutation stone, but they're easy to get if you really need one).

Proven

Just wanted to say that Guild Wars 2 is my favorite MMO and if I'm not actively playing, it's because I can't justify devoting time to it now that the missus doesn't have a GW2-able PC, and also because I've burned out of MMOs in general. As a massive classic FF fan and after hearing all the gushing praise about it, I gave the PS4 FFXIV trial a go, and while it's beautiful (character models and expressions are amazing), the second I was sent outside to kill 10 ladybugs with a battle system out of the early 2000's I was out.

I miss Retro, Kos Luftar (or some say Kosm Luftar), my man Hawkian and the rest of the crew a lot, though. Amazing people all around, keep fighting the good fight, guys. :)

OK, that OT has to be Post of all Time. I'm honored to be part of it. :)

Dude, you are missed. Return when you can.

MikeDown

Banned
this is great, without this thread I would not have known about this. Played GW2 for a bit, but one day I was unable to login, then I got on xbl and I had received an message from Peter Moynuex and the message said if I didn't pay 500microsoftpoints in 24hrs I would never get my account back, this person also threatened me with his revolutionary ideas.

I actually lost my login and changed ISP, gonna play this till Black Desert cums out

Zeroth

Only the core game is F2P, and with limitations if you play for free.

You still have to buy the Expac though.

I can live with that.

It's a great PvP game. PvE is hit or miss.

One of the good things is that PvP is now easilly accessible. Can't lie, the PvP in gw2 is pretty good and I hope more people will get to try it now.

Proven

Oh snap, I hadn't thought of that. They finally got to the point where you can play PvP for free with a free client. They just bundled the entire rest of the core game with it.

Top Bottom