• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 now Free to Play, Expansion releases Oct. 23rd

Retro

Is anyone having trouble creating an account, just keep getting "we were unable to register an account using the information provided. Please check your information and try again." I already had an account on the free weekend but it says my email is invalid.

I did a quick check but so far I'm not seeing anything specific. I would try contacting support, I'm not sure how previous free trial players are being handled.

Legendary Armor is a surprise though. My guild being only 6-deep will be an issue with raiding content. But looking forward to the newness of it all.

If you're in NA, you can always join the GAF Guild, even if it's on a temporary basis to do some raiding. We're not snooty or anything about who can join and our rules are pretty much NeoGAF's TOS in terms of language / trolling. Non that that 100% rep garbage.

Zeroth

Is anyone having trouble creating an account, just keep getting "we were unable to register an account using the information provided. Please check your information and try again." I already had an account on the free weekend but it says my email is invalid.

I believe you don't need to create a new account, since the trial accounts were not deleted. Try using that one.

Haven't really kept up to date with expansion news but I hope the raids aren't too difficult in that you need a very specific group build otherwise it's going to hurt some classes. I hope the legendary armor isn't as painful to acquire as legendary weapons. I still haven't gotten one and it's been over 2 years.

Surprised to see the base game go free to play as well.

Wow, this is good news indeed. I'm gonna fetch my friends to play this.

Anyway, the trading restriction is kinda harsh right?
How will the free players progress without it?

Retro

Anyway, the trading restriction is kinda harsh right?
How will the free players progress without it?

Not sure what's on the list of items you can't buy/sell on the trading post yet, but you can progress just fine without buying stuff off the TP.

Not sure what's on the list of items you can't buy/sell on the trading post yet, but you can progress just fine without buying stuff off the TP.

Yeah, but I remember buying and selling mats and crafted gears a lot back in my early 80 back then. Trading is kinda essential for crafting, or else you'll grind a lot for the mats.
But I guess it's the point of free players restriction itself. You ain't paying then you'll be grinding.

I'm still not sure why people who are interested in the game haven't bought it already though. The game has already been on sale for like $10 several time already.

Retro

Yeah, but I remember buying and selling mats and crafted gears a lot back in my early 80 back then. Trading is kinda essential for crafting, or else you'll grind a lot for the mats.
But I guess it's the point of free players restriction itself. You ain't paying then you'll be grinding.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out if the restrictions are also level-based. Gold Traders could easily adopt exchange currencies like Globs of Ectoplasm in lieu of transferring gold directly and such (and I'm sure they already do to avoid detection). Keeping that kind of stuff blocked until higher levels (when you can actually start getting it from salvaging and when you'd have a legitimate use for it) would make a lot of sense.

Jira

Haven't really kept up to date with expansion news but I hope the raids aren't too difficult in that you need a very specific group build otherwise it's going to hurt some classes. I hope the legendary armor isn't as painful to acquire as legendary weapons. I still haven't gotten one and it's been over 2 years.

Surprised to see the base game go free to play as well.

In HoT they're creating an entire system for crafting precursors:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/

With new Legendaries added in HoT with more coming post launch.

I hope there'll be gamepad support for GW2.
Back then, there was a mod for action combat mode, which was really awesome. I'm not sure if I can still find it nowadays though. I think this game will fit nicely with gamepad support.

Edit: I think I found it.
Can't wait to try it out!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
This download is taking forever I am not used to downloading big things I guess.

Is 8MB/s good download speed for this thing? It's taking forever to hit that playable line

Trey

GAFguild still dope and super friendly, even three years in. Come party with us, but just don't fall asleep around Kos.

Retro

I hope there'll be gamepad support for GW2.
Back then, there was a mod for action combat mode, which was really awesome. I'm not sure if I can still find it nowadays though. I think this game will fit nicely with gamepad support.

Check out the Community OT, we have a whole section in the first post about controller support.

This download is taking forever I am not used to downloading big things I guess.

Is 8MB/s good download speed for this thing? It's taking forever to hit that playable line

Servers are probably getting hit hard right now, that's not awful though.

MikeDip

Can you change homeworlds at any time? Is there one I should pick for Gafguild?

Ah I see it's Stormbluff Isle from that OT. Will pick that

Retro

Downloading. Not sure how much I will like the game, but it has always had some appeal to me for some reason.

Feel free to check out the Community OT for new player tips or ask any questions.

Excellent! When it finishes downloading (which is taking a little bit), I'll give it a run.

I'm not sure if the Free client is any different from the paid one, but you should be able to play before it finishes completely; once it reaches a certain point (should be marked on the progress bar) you can play while continuing to download.

Retro

Just thought I would share my thoughts on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkO_NyPfT3k

You weren't sure in your video, but they confirmed during the live stream that there will be two more Beta Weekend Events; one next friday and then one before release (no date given).

Edit: They've also updated the enemy telegraphs to be more visible, here's an example;
4jJFXSL.jpg

And since you asked; I think there's enough overlap in which professions can bring specific conditions, boons and things like reflects that even if Jimmy can't make it to the raid, someone else can rather easily fill in. I also don't think any single condition, boon or ability will ever be so important that you have to bring it either, so even by some chance nobody can bring weakness, you can get by without it.

Still watching it, but I wanted to mention those things.

You weren't sure in your video, but they confirmed during the live stream that there will be two more Beta Weekend Events; one next friday and then one before release (no date given).

Edit: They've also updated the enemy telegraphs to be more visible, here's an example;

Still watching it, but I wanted to mention those things.

Oh awesome! Thanks, do those telegraphs ever work on Non bosses? I never see them in the game now.

Retro

Oh awesome! Thanks, do those telegraphs ever work on Non bosses? I never see them in the game now.

Most regular enemies still have the old thin red ring, it's mostly new bosses / encounters that those appear in. I'm not sure if it's a technical thing or they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: Finished, everything is pretty much right on the money. I do think we'll see people do raids with fewer than 10 players as folks learn the fights and how to take them down with fewer people. People already solo bosses in the final dungeon all the time, so I can see it being doable.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Most regular enemies still have the old thin red ring, it's mostly new bosses / encounters that those appear in. I'm not sure if it's a technical thing or they just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edit: Finished, everything is pretty much right on the money. I do think we'll see people do raids with fewer than 10 players as folks learn the fights and how to take them down with fewer people. People already solo bosses in the final dungeon all the time, so I can see it being doable.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Doukou

I believe you don't need to create a new account, since the trial accounts were not deleted. Try using that one.
It says the email I used in my old account is not a valid account. I tried recovering it but it needed a serial code. I just made a new account since I was going to make a new character anyways

Retro

trying to question if i should pay $99.99. let me just download the game again and see if it hooks me lol.

Hmm? The core game is free to download now, or if you've already bought the game (since you said "download again") you shouldn't have to spend anything. You might be looking at the expansion (and $99 is the Ultimate Edition anyways, if you're not sure if you want to play it that'd be the last one you'd want to buy).

Hmm? The core game is free to download now, or if you've already bought the game (since you said "download again") you shouldn't have to spend anything. You might be looking at the expansion (and $99 is the Ultimate Edition anyways, if you're not sure if you want to play it that'd be the last one you'd want to buy).

yeah i had bought the game already. and formating/upgrade pc so many times i never reinstalled since then. i paid like $80 for the first one? LE? had my money's worth out of it. but i thought there was a discount for those already bought the game or was i just reading about people asking for it.

Retro

yeah i had bought the game already. and formating/upgrade pc so many times i never reinstalled since then. i paid like $80 for the first one? LE? had my money's worth out of it. but i thought there was a discount for those already bought the game or was i just reading about people asking for it.

Oh, nope. Veteran players get a free character slot with the expansion though, which are normally like $10. Free outfit too, they just put that in today.

MikeDip

So the game is super fun so far and the Gaf Guild is super helpful.

Right on.

Teknoman

So glad I remember my password from when I downloaded the game years ago. Ready to jump back in (might have too much online now with PSO, FFXIV, and this again lol).

barit

It was already B2P so F2P doesn't mean much when you could get the base game for cheap ~12,- from time to time. Played it for some months when it was fresh released but it didn't hook me up. Gets boring too fast with its focus on equal-ranking PvP and the PvE content was not enough (no dungeons or raids irrc). It had nice concepts and ideas especially for discovering the huge maps but overall it lacks the charm of an WoW or FFXIV for me. Maybe all that has changed significant since my last login but my new love is Final Fantasy and this will stay so for awhile I guess.

Jira

It was already B2P so F2P doesn't mean much when you could get the base game for cheap ~12,- from time to time. Played it for some months when it was fresh released but it didn't hook me up. Gets boring too fast with its focus on equal-ranking PvP and the PvE content was not enough (no dungeons or raids irrc). It had nice concepts and ideas especially for discovering the huge maps but overall it lacks the charm of an WoW or FFXIV for me. Maybe all that has changed significant since my last login but my new love is Final Fantasy and this will stay so for awhile I guess.

Anyone who cares about a competitive environment in PvP will ALWAYS want an even playing field. Any game that has PvP that requires some kind of skinnerbox level of grinding to get to "the top" isn't regarded as a competitive game, period.

I'm not sure where you're thinking there's no dungeons considering there were 8 at launch, Fractals of The Mists were added 3 months later which now consist of 12 dungeons and 3 bosses. Raids didn't exist at launch but are now coming a few weeks after HoT launches in October.

spiritfox

I on the other hand find it more charming than FFXIV. The world seems for alive than FFXIV's, and people are still finding new secrets around even today.

barit

Anyone who cares about a competitive environment in PvP will ALWAYS want an even playing field. Any game that has PvP that requires some kind of skinnerbox level of grinding to get to "the top" isn't regarded as a competitive game, period.

I'm not sure where you're thinking there's no dungeons considering there were 8 at launch, Fractals of The Mists were added 3 months later which now consist of 12 dungeons and 3 bosses. Raids didn't exist at launch but are now coming a few weeks after HoT launches in October.

Woops you're probably right with the dungeons. Totally forgot them it seems. And to the PvP comment, yes it's true that in competitive environments only skill should matter. My bad for wording it so dumb. I wanted to say that there is no customization in skills and playstyle except from which weapon you use every class plays the same for every player. Maybe that is false too and I'm talking myself into trouble and should stop now. Clearly should revisit the game first.

I still don't get how the expansion works, especially for veteran players.
I bought the game at launch, well technically I pre-ordered it. How much should I pay to get Heart of Thorns?
What if I don't buy the expansion, will I be able to see the expansion's content (like costume/weapon, etc). I'm pretty sure I won't be able to go to the expansion exclusive maps, right?

So I'm assuming from the pre-order page for the expansion pack, I will still need to pay 75 to get a additional character slot right? Even if I bought the original at launch?

Meh I guess I'm skipping, I can wait for a price-drop then, as that is crazy to pay 50 if I already own the game and they don't even give me a character slot, what is even the point If I cant try out the new class.

IceIpor

It's probably just going to lock you out of the jungle stuff, elite specialization and maybe mastery system for vet players without the expansion.

Morokh

I still don't get how the expansion works, especially for veteran players.
I bought the game at launch, well technically I pre-ordered it. How much should I pay to get Heart of Thorns?
What if I don't buy the expansion, will I be able to see the expansion's content (like costume/weapon, etc). I'm pretty sure I won't be able to go to the expansion exclusive maps, right?

If you don't buy HoT, you'll still have access to : :
- Stronghold the new sPvP mode (but won't have acess to the complete selection of summonable heroes)
- The new WwW Borderland ( you might have some restrictions on some guild related upgrades though)
- Part of the guild hall experience : you won't have access to your guild's guild hall but you'll be able to take advantage of some of the features in the Guild Initiative headquarters in Lion's Arch

Some changes already happened in game in preparation for the expansion so if you haven't played in a while there was a big revamp to all the trait system, that is in some way also part of the expansion (the most notable thing that it made happen is finally make condition builds as good as power builds)

One thing I'm not sure-of is if non HoT players will have acess to the new map reward system.
Same for the changes for Fractals, I don't think we have enough details about how it will affect players who won't upgrade.

as for the price go to the GW2 website on the preorder page and look for the Standard edition, that'"s the cheapest you can get it (it's around $50 but price may vary depending on region and currency)

So I'm assuming from the pre-order page for the expansion pack, I will still need to pay 75 to get a additional character slot right? Even if I bought the original at launch?
You get a free slot for any of the pre-order options if you had registered an account before January 23 this year (beware it might not be added to your account right away)
It was added after on the page so it's not clear on first glance, but there is a little link on the page that clears it.
( if you buy the deluxe or ultimate and fullfill the requirement above you get 2 slots)

Nyx

Bought this at launch but stopped playing quite fast, wanted to check it out again but my email isn't even recognized anymore while I have the NCSoft account creation mails from 2012 in that mailbox.

RS4-

Christ, I bought the game day one since I enjoyed the hell out of the gw1 beta (lol didn't actually buy it); so what happens with gw2? Play it for less than a week. Haven't gone back since. :(

kabel

Christ, I bought the game day one since I enjoyed the hell out of the gw1 beta (lol didn't actually buy it); so what happens with gw2? Play it for less than a week. Haven't gone back since. :(

Me too.

Preordered for 55€. Played for a week.
I gues I was already burned out by WoW. Haven't even played a MMO since then.

Morokh

Bought this at launch but stopped playing quite fast, wanted to check it out again but my email isn't even recognized anymore while I have the NCSoft account creation mails from 2012 in that mailbox.

If you still have your game key, try and contact support they'll most likely get that sorted out for you.

Top Bottom