• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PewPewK

Aww, thread title misunderstood fail for me. I took it that beta would just be ongoing. Hmm so pay in full now like be charged? That won't work since I can't play it but on special weekends I guess, I just don't have the time for that strict a schedule. Oh well, I guess I'll be back in 6 months or so. *oh, thanks for the replies lol

Launch won't be 6 months out. But yeah, it's only select weekends and you need to pay in full for guaranteed access to them.

Cya at launch!

Retro

Anyone else seen that? Comments? I'm really hoping it's next weekend, but I fear they may be right. Weekend of the 27th would suck though, the 20th is much better for me.

Either/or, my body is ready, my soul prepared. Let's do this.

Serious Answer: The weekend of the 20th seems a bit too soon, when they're still struggling to get everyone's pre-purchases sorted out. I think it will land on the weekend of the 27th, or they may just push it back to May if there continues to be problem.

Hmm so pay in full now like be charged? That won't work since I can't play it but on special weekends I guess, I just don't have the time for that strict a schedule. Oh well, I guess I'll be back in 6 months or so. *oh, thanks for the replies lol

Yeah, you pay in full now, and then they open up the game for specific weekends. You'll be notified far in advance, so I wouldn't call it a 'strict schedule'. They've also said that it won't be 6 months, they know people want the game and they're using these Beta Events to test, not just generate word-of-mouth like every other MMO.

Still, your call; we'll look forward to seeing you when the game goes live. Check back here for news though.

There's a post on reddit saying it's posted on the forums that the beta is indeed next weekend, starting the 20th. Though the screen shows the same post talking about an NDA, so they didn't fully edit the post about it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/s5dgw/the_beta_event_starts_friday_april_20th/

Sounds kinda legit, though the open betas are supposed to be NDA-free.... hmm, I wonder if they're doing another Press Beta?

PewPewK

Serious Answer: The weekend of the 20th seems a bit too soon, when they're still struggling to get everyone's pre-purchases sorted out. I think it will land on the weekend of the 27th, or they may just push it back to May if there continues to be problem.

See nataku's post. I'm now hopeful again. Originally one of the German retailers let the beans spill that it would be the 20th, and Twitter *sorta* half-confirmed that. But it looks like it is going to be the 20th! At least I hope...

Jira

I'm betting on the weekend of the 28th, that gives them time to let people get pre-purchases and time to get the client AND it just so happens to be the birthday of GW1.

EDIT: Now that I saw the image of the gw2 forum post, I stand corrected.

Yeah, EotN is a solid expansion and still holds up really well. Some of the environments in it are seriously beautiful looking. Nightfall ain't bad either. Prophecies and Factions are getting a little dated though.

Now I'm having some serious vanilla guildwars nostalgia, is this the most recent expansion for me to get my fix on? Can I get it digitally?

Strike the digital thing, available here for $20 if anyones interested

Best expansion to get into?

PewPewK

Now I'm having some serious vanilla guildwars nostalgia, is this the most recent expansion for me to get my fix on? Can I get it digitally?

Eye of the North is the only GW1 expansion. The three others were independent campaigns.

Yes, you can buy all of them digitally.

Jira

Yeah, you pay in full now, and then they open up the game for specific weekends. You'll be notified far in advance, so I wouldn't call it a 'strict schedule'. They've also said that it won't be 6 months, they know people want the game and they're using these Beta Events to test, not just generate word-of-mouth like every other MMO.

Still, your call; we'll look forward to seeing you when the game goes live. Check back here for news though.

Sounds kinda legit, though the open betas are supposed to be NDA-free.... hmm, I wonder if they're doing another Press Beta?

I'm guessing they still haven't fixed all of the text, no reason to do another press only beta, what the hell are they gonna talk about that they haven't already?

Retro

I'm guessing they still haven't fixed all of the text, no reason to do another press only beta, what the hell are they gonna talk about that they haven't already?

The only thing I can think of (and we touched on this in the last Podcast) is that they can give the press content that has lots of spoilers and then force them not to disclose specific things, while holding back that material for the public beta.

The example we used was "What if the Sylvari or Asura have a major twist like the Searing?".

Jira

The only thing I can think of (and we touched on this in the last Podcast) is that they can give the press content that has lots of spoilers and then force them not to disclose specific things, while holding back that material for the public beta.

The example we used was "What if the Sylvari or Asura have a major twist like the Searing?".

That's what I've been thinking as well, I think the press has got to play Sylvari/Asura and just can't talk about it specifically, but can use their experiences to talk about the game in a general fashion. A new press beta could have 30+ content, but what would be the point if they can't talk about it? Anyways, here's to hoping we get to play on the 20th.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Ah, the Searing. Sure blew my mind apart on day 1.

Retro

Ah, the Searing. Sure blew my mind apart on day 1.

Yep. And because the Sylvari and Asura start off in the western regions of Tyria (whereas the others are in the east), it kind of suggests that something big might happen 'over there' that they don't want us to know about yet.

Pure speculation, but there's some supporting evidence.

Nice find. Definitely gonna have to find someplace awesome for mine, my geek shelf is full up and I don't think Rytlock would fit on it anyways.

Retro

Remind me, we're able to join multiple guilds and switch on the fly correct?

From what we've seen and read, yes; you can belong to multiple guilds and switching which one you're 'representing' is simply a menu option.

Whether you can read multiple guild chats at once is one of my big questions.

Ferny

Yes but you can only represent one at a time. So whatever guild you switch to is the perks you'll get to have, guild chat you'll see, etc.

Pre-purchased the game for $62.99 at EBGames today: However, I'm having to go in tomorrow as they actually don't have the codes at the moment.

Worst part about it? The EBGames I went to is pretty much on the other side of the city. But I don't really mind going back there again as the mall's pretty cool.

Retro

They've said that you'll only be to see the guild chat that you're currently in.

Bleh. I was hoping you could have multiple chat windows open. Oh well, GAF Guild is the only guild I plan on being in at the moment, so not really an issue for me.

I'm at the second to last NF mission as well. I can help you through EotN, too. Already beat it.

Also, are Oppressor and Torment weapons customized or can they be bought second-hand?

I think Oppressors can be sold, I am not sure though. I read somewhere someone saying that farming Oppressors is a quick way to make a bunch of money.

I'd appreciate the help :D I'm heading to bed now though, shoulda checked this thread earlier lol.

Jira

I think these are going out to people who were in a previous beta and note this isn't mine:

AHe00.png

Jira

I got an email like that, but I haven't been in any previous beta.

I looked around and it seems that they're pulling from people who signed up for the previous beta are getting invites, but aren't inviting old people back. Gotta be a bitch to get in, but only get to play for 6 hours. Oh well, at least there's 3 days next weekend for pre-purchases.

usea

I looked around and it seems that they're pulling from people who signed up for the previous beta are getting invites, but aren't inviting old people back. Gotta be a bitch to get in, but only get to play for 6 hours. Oh well, at least there's 3 days next weekend for pre-purchases.
Yeah I thought it was kind of silly too. I'll be at work during those hours anyway.

Jira

"Allegedly" fake. As far as we know, it was updated to include that, then promptly removed, but only one guy got a photo of it as the 20th.

Just being the conspiracy theorist here.

My guess is the 20th is the current date internally as long as nothing goes horribly wrong in the stress test.

Sophuis

Neo Member
I caved and coughed up fifty and five euro dollah. Even if I'm gone for this month's beta weekend, I'll probably be able to sneak a few hours in. That will be enough. Right?

Right?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The stress test sounds like a pain - 6 hours to barely touch the game? Talk about a tease. Though I imagine half of that time is going to be ArenaNet spawning crazy monsters in cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom