• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another game where those with more real life money can make a better character and kill you easier in pvp? No thanks

Where are you getting this from?

Also not sure which class I should go first: Mesmer or Warrior?

Definitely playing as a Charr though.

Sophia

I have a couple questions for anyone who's played or is knowledgeable on the subject (currently at work so filters kill most gaming sites, though GAF isn't flagged for some reason).

Do we have any idea how large the map is? Guild Wars 2 looks fantastic but I'm wondering how big in scope the world is, and if it feels like an actual large world. For comparisons sake, I felt like Rift was way too small.

They have to be pretty large, given all the world events that go in them. And they seem large from the videos.

And what about the cities. I'm starting to get the impression that they are instanced. Are they not large hubs for the player base? When I say hubs, I mean like Freeport in EQ where they're a central location for trading, etc.

They're not instance. Each player has a small section that is instanced, but the rest (and we're talking like 90-95% of the city here) of the cities are a part of the world. There's just not that many players because it's a Press beta test.

Where are you getting this from?

He's not. He's just being stupid and doing driveby posting and hasn't come back to the thread. Ignore it, because he's wrong.

Sent

I have a couple questions for anyone who's played or is knowledgeable on the subject (currently at work so filters kill most gaming sites, though GAF isn't flagged for some reason).

Do we have any idea how large the map is? Guild Wars 2 looks fantastic but I'm wondering how big in scope the world is, and if it feels like an actual large world. For comparisons sake, I felt like Rift was way too small.

And what about the cities. I'm starting to get the impression that they are instanced. Are they not large hubs for the player base? When I say hubs, I mean like Freeport in EQ where they're a central location for trading, etc.

They look really damn grand, so it'd be a shame for them to only be personal instances. Thanks for any help.

No the cities aren't instanced, just a small part of it for your personal story.

Complistic

They look really damn grand, so it'd be a shame for them to only be personal instances. Thanks for any help.

I think a few years ago they said the world was comparable in size with the first guild wars, although more fleshed out with interesting things to do. Cities aren't instanced, you just don't see a whole lot of people because it's a beta and not a whole lot of people would spend their time in a city when they could be fighting or exploring the world. In each city there is an "instanced" section that's your home section and things change in there depending on what you've done in your story.

Jira

This here is the Human starting zone Queensdale. Running around for 15 min doesn't even put a dent in the areas of the zone that we can see on the map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jtTIxvW_FU0

Wes

venison crêpe
Thanks for the explanation, but I should have been more specific. I already read the article at necrobator, watched that video, and one other about traits. I'm itching to know what sort of traits each profession has, but I don't have the patience to watch each profession trait video so I'll just wait until someone transcribes those into a more easily digestible format. Regardless, anyone who hasn't seen that video should check it out along with the accompanying article.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com seems to have been getting a lot of updates today on traits and such.

spirity

At the very least, I can say they're entertaining. My ears hurt though.

Let me guess, the one of them still screams down the mike. I cant watch their videos because of the stupid screaming every time he sees an animal. What is wrong with him.

Jira

The squealing gets to me as well, but the yogcast videos and Mike B stuff is the best that has come out.

spirity

So, I'm definitely decided. I'm gonna be a Warrior. Absolutely, a Warrior. I was debating over it for a while on and off, but todays, absolutely definitely gonna roll a Warr.

All Ranger Pets (including aquatic):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXM_ZsNwKWg

I'm surprised by the small owl/eagle/raven pets, looks like you kind kind of go a "Falconer" kind of route. Also, there's some gnarly looking spiders in there (and a whip scorpion).

GOD DAMMIT

Jira

How in the hell do the cities look empty from an NPC standpoint? Are we not seeing the same amount of NPCs here?

Vano

Mulligan

Banned
After seeing my fair share of Mesmer footage today, and having been consdering it as my main along with an ele, i now know i'll be rolling ele for sure now. Mesmer didn't really look that exciting or as dynamic as i was expecting but i know this is due to the press being sucky players combined with the Mesmer probably being the most complex class with the biggest learning curve.

The more i see of the elementalist, the more i'm sure this is the class for me. So has the today helped anyone else decide on their first class, what will you guys be rolling first?

Vano

After seeing my fair share of Mesmer footage today, and having been consdering it as my main along with an ele, i now know i'll be rolling ele for sure now. Mesmer didn't really look that exciting or as dynamic as i was expecting but i know this is due to the press being sucky players combined with the Mesmer probably being the most complex class with the biggest learning curve.

The more i see of the elementalist, the more i'm sure this is the class for me. So has the today helped anyone else decide on their first class, what will you guys be rolling first?

I decided long time ago that i will Main an Elementalist. I'm ready to switch attunements like a boss.

r4z4

So has the today helped anyone else decide on their first class, what will you guys be rolling first?

Elementalist for sure. I just love the flexibility the class provides, can do a bit of everything, deal damage, buff, de-buff, support, summons etc.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ok, i've watched a few more vids. You guys are right. It's not THAT empty.

But there is one thing that really bugs me. The ice skating, come on i can't be the only one who think it looks like the character is skating on the ground all the time. Especially if he strafes sideways. I know it's a beta but they really need to fix that shit.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I too have decided on an (Asura) Elementalist. The amount of skill variety for that class looks incredibly entertaining, and the spell effects are also visually impressive.

Ferrio

Banned
Are classes restricted by race? I wanna be a lettuce person, but I can't imagine assassin lettuce people existing.

Grakl

But there is one thing that really bugs me. The ice skating, come on i can't be the only one who think it looks like the character is skating on the ground all the time. Especially if he strafes sideways. I know it's a beta but they really need to fix that shit.

Yes, I hate this. Some games have this and it feels and looks terrible.

Jira

Yeah, I do notice it from time to time. They said sometime last year that they're aware of it and working on it, it's just not high up on the list of things to do.

Proven

I decided long time ago that i will Main an Elementalist. I'm ready to switch attunements like a boss.

The last time I saw anyone switching between attunements well was when I was watching Gamescom PvP videos of one of the developers in action. The time before that? A guy who was experimenting at some con months before. My standards for Ele videos are quite low right now.

gunbo13

Eles are the best looking utility/damage class. However, I feel that Necros have more power overall that can be exploited. Two very nice classes.

Mulligan

Banned
Looks as though Gaf guild will be pretty ele heavy as of now, AoE nuking our way through WvW. :p

Looking forward to playing with you guys. Goddamn i'm hyped!

KScorp

Are classes restricted by race? I wanna be a lettuce person, but I can't imagine assassin lettuce people existing.

I'm more interested in lettuce people shooting fire everywhere.

And I also plan to main an ele, because that's what I've always mained in any (MMO)RPG I've played if the option exists.

With beta testing underway time to complete 50/50 in HoM, I am 47/50 need to VQ 26 areas, run slavers in HM, get survivor, and buy Life of the Party with my remaining $800k should take a week with moderate hours invested...but I am so bored of the game....

DJIzana

Can't wait to see more vids! Spent a good portion already watching the ones I was interested in. I reeeeally love the city tours for all the 3 major areas too!

I'd love to see some exploration outside the cities next. :D

GrizzNKev

Banned
Can't wait to see more vids! Spent a good portion already watching the ones I was interested in. I reeeeally love the city tours for all the 3 major areas too!

I'd love to see some exploration outside the cities next. :D

Yeah, we've barely gotten a look outside of the starting areas. I know the beta was short and only had low level stuff, but everyone is showing us what we've been seeing for years in PvE.

Disregarding the annoying ass screaming into the microphone, this should be required viewing for anyone looking to play the game. It's the only video I've seen so far that shows how I would actually play the game with a friend and experience the questing system, skill systems and the world design.

In particular, the part at the end is something that is just missing from the modern theme park MMO design. I'm not saying that this game is different, but not once in my 100+ hours of SWTOR did I find a place and just say "fuck it, I want to explore in here". They find this cool underwater cave that has nothing to do with the quest they are on, so they just wing it. Fantastic.

Before I was only mildly excited, after all these videos and looking through the wiki, my excited has cross the threshold into hype.
Cannot wait.

Jira

Disregarding the annoying ass screaming into the microphone, this should be required viewing for anyone looking to play the game. It's the only video I've seen so far that shows how I would actually play the game with a friend and experience the questing system, skill systems and the world design.

In particular, the part at the end is something that is just missing from the modern theme park MMO design. I'm not saying that this game is different, but not once in my 100+ hours of SWTOR did I find a place and just say "fuck it, I want to explore in here". They find this cool underwater cave that has nothing to do with the quest they are on, so they just wing it. Fantastic.

Exactly, I agree 100%.

Wes

venison crêpe
"Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server. "

Source. Apologies if already posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom