• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

ikr5W4RhmDVux.jpg

dude, at least some Soule

Someone needs a dose of dopeness.

lfvgt

Neo Member
I can't believe how completely clueless and retarded those Yogscast people are.
People actually watch their videos? How can anyone stomach even 20 seconds of this?

Their target demographic is children and they usually play Minecraft, that's all you need to know.

So as I'm watching these videos, I find the bloody vignetting thing that happens when you get low on health to be very annoying. It was stupid in MW2, and it makes no sense in an MMO. It's distracting and pointless because you have a health bar in this game, you don't need a vague visual cue that you are low on health.

Forkball

I planned on rolling thief but after reading about it, I decided to do warrior. After seeing the Mesmer vs. Thief battle, I really want to play Thief again. Is it March/April yet?

etiolate

Banned
The sound design is awesome. Everything has a cool sound, voices are good and the WvWvW video sounded like a war film. If only the PvP announcers didn't make me want a Krabby patty.

Klyka

Banned
So as I'm watching these videos, I find the bloody vignetting thing that happens when you get low on health to be very annoying. It was stupid in MW2, and it makes no sense in an MMO. It's distracting and pointless because you have a health bar in this game, you don't need a vague visual cue that you are low on health.

Many people need a very very obvious sign that their health is low cause they don't look at it at all.
Hence the vignette.

Proven

It's basically that in order to mirror other class efficiency, the Mesmer has to run through a whole bunch of hoops. Because condition spamming is at the front replacing hexes, the uniqueness is out. Crippling is not a unique mechanic and to require a clone bomb to be next to the opponent? It isn't a bad effect but a Ranger can press a button to do that.

Confusion is supposed to replace your backfire/empathy. But again, it has a clone bomb implementation. So many hoops. And powerful builds, as etiolate said, may be able to melt through clones without issue. It's really not the same pressure as Mesmers once could pull off. Boon stripping is maybe more important. That's more of the shatter/drain enchantment of old. However, now you aren't stripping something like protective spirit which could mean death. You are taking away an Aegis which would block a single attack... That's not compelling.

So what is dangerous about fighting a Mesmer is the question. The most bothersome class in GW1 doesn't seem that bothersome. It looks more of a "shoo fly" with purple lasers.

EDIT:
Confusion stacking is one area though that I'm curious about. Unfortunately, cry of frustration kills all your shit off but the skill backfire at least creates a phantasm to apply it. Again though, so many damn hoops for both. You might as well quit your day job to monitor your confusion game.

What makes the Mesmer scary? I could ask that about a lot of classes. The main thing is that the "hoops" give the Mesmer a lot of options. You can bring up that Phantasm, let it stack a few conditions on someone, and shatter it for damage or a stun instead while you set up another illusion that does something different. A Mesmer can do a lot of things with one skill bar, and the control comes the same way: by having an answer whatever it is you want to do.

The only other classes with a lot of options with what their skills do are the Elementalist and Engineer, and they fork off in different ways. I suppose it's not a surprise that those two get a lot of mention from people, more so than we hear people waxing on about Rangers and Thieves. What makes them scary? Necros? Warriors? Guardians? You can continually just blow back melee classes or use evasion skills with any class. Minions have similar weaknesses to illusions, and although they last a little longer they also have less options attached. Thieves blow through their Initiative, then stealth and try again. I can't even think of anything off the top of my head that make Rangers scary.

The Mesmer's strength is that he can do a lot of things while making it look like he's doing the same thing over and over again. Elementalists will flash their attunements that all do something relatively predictable depending on the element, and Engineers either change in appearance or drop a turret that tells you exactly what it does. The Mesmer makes an illusion that can either do damage or apply a condition, leave it going to keep up pressure, then if it gets attacked it'll cause some other effect to go off, or before that happens it can be shattered for one of four effects plus trait bonuses. Then he does it again, and again, and again, while bobbing and weaving, while having teammates around who will also clog up the screen with their own abilities, while being able to disappear just as well as a Thief can (and having a skill to make his entire party invisible too). That's what makes the Mesmer scary.

As for Domination, just make a build that focuses on interrupts, and then you have the Time Warp elite that grants you and your allies fast casting/recharge and slow effects on your foes.

Edit: What is being a Mesmer to you? For me it was a combination of interrupts along with a multitude of pressure from applying hexes and conditions.

Want to buy. Have wanted to buy for the last four years, 10 months and 7 god damned days. Every god damned obstruction and cocktease they make just makes my enthusiasm for this wane.

gunbo13

I'll reply to the first chunk with something simple. All conditions except confusion are easily replicated by other classes. And often, applied much more straightforward. I'm looking at some interesting builds now for the Mesmer but you probably won't be interested as they are very gimmicky. There is a bit of potential but the class isn't seething with power. I'll also just comment that while other classes give indicators, Mesmers are now the ultimate telegraph. It doesn't matter if you have 5 types of clones since they will be dealt with the same way. And all this rests on the durability and damage scaling of the clones/phantasms. Finally, so many classes have condition removal it is ridiculous. That really puts a damper on a failed clone stop if you just tap a button to recover. :(

I can go into nasty possibilities for classes like ele, guardian, and necro. That would define the scariness. But most of them are role related where you are talking more about overall class usage/versatility. I don't really look stress the one man army idea so I'd be a boring show in this regard.
Edit: What is being a Mesmer to you? For me it was a combination of interrupts along with a multitude of pressure from applying hexes and conditions.
The ultimate mind-fuck. Made every class second think everything they did if they were on them. There was no gap or class that the GW1 mesmer could not completely maim. I played against an absolute ton being monk primary in PvP and it was my second class to play myself. Mesmer battles were their own game.

Passive interrupts when you are casting a spell a second with no mana pool means the interrupt meta is chopped to basically nothing. Hexes, which required very specific removal methods, are gone. And I also give GW1 mesmers the boost for their nasty anti-melee and enchantment removal. Replaced by cripple (not the same) and boon removal (not the same).

Mesmers just seem...nerfed if I had to phrase it.

I think I've decided on having a Necro as my main and dabbling in Guardian/Ele/Thief/Ranger, in that order, as my 4 other slots.

I'm not sure why you think other games have their graphics rendered on the server ;p

Hehe, maybe I misunderstood then.

This is actually a good IGN article about the subject. It's from July 2004, and it's Jeff Strain being interviewed on how they did the whole streaming thing, half a decade before others like WoW did it(somewhat) : http://pc.ign.com/articles/534/534454p1.html

guild-wars-20040729010257101-000.jpg

I think I might have misunderstood. It seems to be more about low latency lag, not technical hardware performance. At any rate it's fascinating.

Also because they are talking about a non-shard world and persistency. Two subjects that Guild Wars 2 will have. Haters might argue that ArenaNet went backwards on their mission!

Are there mounts in the game? Also, anyone know the size of the world and some vids that I can watch about it? Like videos showing questing, dungeons and locations in the world? I found many PvP videos but its harder to fine the PvE ones. I'm also LOVING the combat in this game. Fantastic.

Proven

I'll reply to the first chunk with something simple. All conditions except confusion are easily replicated by other classes. And often, applied much more straightforward. I'm looking at some interesting builds now for the Mesmer but you probably won't be interested as they are very gimmicky. There is a bit of potential but the class isn't seething with power. I'll also just comment that while other classes give indicators, Mesmers are now the ultimate telegraph. It doesn't matter if you have 5 types of clones since they will be dealt with the same way. And all this rests on the durability and damage scaling of the clones/phantasms. Finally, so many classes have condition removal it is ridiculous. That really puts a damper on a failed clone stop if you just tap a button to recover. :(

I can go into nasty possibilities for classes like ele, guardian, and necro. That would define the scariness. But most of them are role related where you are talking more about overall class usage/versatility. I don't really look stress the one man army idea so I'd be a boring audience in this regard.

The ultimate mind-fuck. Made every class second think everything they did if they were on them. There was no gap or class that the GW1 mesmer could not completely maim. I played against an absolute ton being monk primary in PvP and it was my second class to play myself. Mesmer battles were their own game.

Passive interrupts when you are casting a spell a second with no mana pool means the interrupt meta is chopped to basically nothing. Hexes, which required very specific removal methods, are gone. And I also give GW1 mesmers the boost for their nasty anti-melee and enchantment removal. Replaced by cripple (not the same) and boon removal (not the same).

Mesmers just seem...nerfed if I had to phrase it.
To the first half of your post, it just feels like you're underestimating illusions. And you think I'm just overestimating them.

To the second half, it sounds like a balance problem. Looking up the new daze, it causes someone to be unable to use any skill, and now there's no difference between skills and spells so this effects everybody. From there, the Mesmer does have a number of stun and
daze skills, and some of them don't require an illusion either. The ones that use illusions just have a shorter cooldown, so if you're convinced that your clones won't last, you can use the non-illusion required ones first, then pop out your clones while the guy is still getting up.

And as I said before, you can build up traits that cause punishments if your opponent breaks an illusion, so then the only worry there is that those punishments are strong enough that the opponent would rather attack you than the illusion and is at risk of guessing wrong. Or you throw the illusion in their face making them have to work to get to you or deal with the punishment which could be another daze, it could be a condition, or it could be a damage spike. And then if you cast an AoE to rip through them you don't get through that without problems. Plus you can always interrupt their condition removal skills, especially since a person will usually just carry one or two.

Edit: And it still doesn't change the fact that the Mesmer has a number of options with his illusions, while the other professions have just one per skill. It comes with some inefficiency, alright, but it gives you more adaptability.

KScorp

Hehe, maybe I misunderstood then.

This is actually a good IGN article about the subject. It's from July 2004, and it's Jeff Strain being interviewed on how they did the whole streaming thing, half a decade before others like WoW did it(somewhat) : http://pc.ign.com/articles/534/534454p1.html

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/534/534454/guild-wars-20040729010257101-000.jpg

I think I might have misunderstood. It seems to be more about low latency lag, not technical hardware performance. At any rate it's fascinating.

Also because they are talking about a non-shard world and persistency. Two subjects that Guild Wars 2 will have. Haters might argue that ArenaNet went backwards on their mission!

This is something else entirely. It just downloads the updates you need while you play. So for instance, if you're in Map A, and ArenaNet decides to update Map A and Map B while you're playing, you won't get kicked out. Instead, you get to stay in Map A for as long as you need to complete your quest or do whatever else you need to do, while the updates are downloaded. Then, you can move to Map B, which is now updated, and you never had to quit the game. If you go back into Map A, that will be updated as well.

Of course, GW1 used instances, so doing the same for GW2 won't be quite that simple, since everyone must be on the same version of the map at all times.

NeededSleep

Are there mounts in the game? Also, anyone know the size of the world and some vids that I can watch about it? Like videos showing questing, dungeons and locations in the world? I found many PvP videos but its harder to fine the PvE ones. I'm also LOVING the combat in this game. Fantastic.

just watched this:

BFF Report

http://www.zam.com/bffreport.html?bffreport=100

dont usually watch his videos, but this had some good information on the game. covers pve, dungeons, pvp and wvwvw. wvwvw looks like an awesome concept

rukland

Quit TOR

Quit WoW

Waiting for this game, just hope it turns out to be as good as all my friends and GAF tell me it will be.

Jira

No mounts. As for world size:

This is the Human starting zone of Queensdale, 15 min of straight running doesn't even put a dent into the area of that single zone that we can see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTIxvW_FU0

gunbo13

To the first half of your post, it just feels like you're underestimating illusions. And you think I'm just overestimating them.
I'm really not trying to speak for you at all. I just don't see the current threat from the illusions/shatters compared to other classes. They are unique in their delivery but the packages are pretty much the same. The difference can simply come from durability/power of certain clones/phantasms. So I'm waiting on that information.
To the second half, it sounds like a balance problem. Looking up the new daze, it causes someone to be unable to use any skill, and now there's no difference between skills and spells so this effects everybody. From there, the Mesmer does have a number of stun and daze skills, and some of them don't require an illusion either. The ones that use illusions just have a shorter cooldown, so if you're convinced that your clones won't last, you can use the non-illusion required ones first, then pop out your clones while the guy is still getting up.
Then you are just using your clones as a mix-up and you are now a condition bot. There are about 9 non-mesmer skills that can daze and about the same for stun. So none of that is unique and your clones are negated if they don't have the fortitude. Confusion is way more interesting with its stacking. That's what I'm considering for a really high confusion stacked damage build using traits, numerous clone types, cry of frustration, and either bolt via sceptor. Gimmick alert but I never rule out classes.
And as I said before, you can build up traits that cause punishments if your opponent breaks an illusion, so then the only worry there is that those punishments are strong enough that the opponent would rather attack you than the illusion and is at risk of guessing wrong. Or you throw the illusion in their face making them have to work to get to you or deal with the punishment which could be another daze, it could be a condition, or it could be a damage spike. And then if you cast an AoE to rip through them you don't get through that without problems. Plus you can always interrupt their condition removal skills, especially since a person will usually just carry one or two.
I've been looking into that. It's still way too focused on conditions and there is so much removal. And you are talking about layering conditions almost at will to counter multiple situations. That's way to play-book. It just never works that way with this type of play-style. If you want to clone bomb, you better get gimmicky. I love gimmicks. ;)
Edit: And it still doesn't change the fact that the Mesmer has a number of options with his illusions, while the other professions have just one per skill. It comes with some inefficiency, alright, but it gives you more adaptability.
Or you could say you are spread too thin? Eles are still way above mesmers in versaility. They can do everything except get hit...so squishy. I see your point to a degree but you are also spreading similar mechanics around. It's not like the Ele with utility and DPS options. You are talking about a lot of mix-ups which really serve about the same purpose. The problem there is that if you have 10 options, you'll probably just pick the most efficient one. At best use a sister skill. So in theory you might envision all these situations, counters, etc... yet the reality might be extremely focused. From my experience with years of build wars, that is pretty much what always happens.

Varna

I played Guild Wars off and on for years but I never quiet god engrossed in it like I did with Final Fantasy XI. I don't care too much for instanced gameplay, I like seeing players all over the place. Meeting people out in the world was always a great experience in MMORPGs.

I know this game right off the bat is suppose to be different from the original Guild Wars. Persistent worlds for one and that's a HUGE improvement for me.

Is it suppose to be more Sandbox or Theme park? Because after DCU and SWTOR I don't think I can do theme park MMOs anymore. They all feel like the same game with different skins.

Jira

I played Guild Wars off and on for years but I never quiet god engrossed in it like I did with Final Fantasy XI. I don't care too much for instanced gameplay, I like seeing players all over the place. Meeting people out in the world was always a great experience in MMORPGs.

I know this game right off the bat is suppose to be different from the original Guild Wars. Persistent worlds for one and that's a HUGE improvement for me.

Is it suppose to be more Sandbox or Theme park? Because after DCU and SWTOR I don't think I can do theme park MMOs anymore. They all feel like the same game with different skins.

To me it's a new genre I like to call Sandpark. Has the scripted design of a theme park with the freedom and exploration of a Sandbox.

Read the Dynamic Events section in my thread here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME!

Also, watch this:

Note that nothing is telling them where to go, they're just exploring and finding stuff to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0jb...xt=C3a74291UDOEgsToPDskLNNmDlcpiofzplkt6e6KSn

Jira

That Warrior video from the top of the thread was fantastic from a combat perspective, it was SO nice seeing someone dodge a ton and actually KNOW what their utility skill does rather than spamming all 3 randomly.

Quit TOR

Quit WoW

Waiting for this game, just hope it turns out to be as good as all my friends and GAF tell me it will be.

Having played many of the MMOs that have come and gone I've come to not buy into the hype until I play it. GW2 has the right mindset as far as how to approach MMOs but we'll see how it plays out in game.

Blackface

Banned
Having played many of the MMOs that have come and gone I've come to not buy into the hype until I play it. GW2 has the right mindset as far as how to approach MMOs but we'll see how it plays out in game.

The thing with TOR, is everyone knew exactly what they were getting.

I ran the SWTOR thread since 2008. I was in beta for 9 months. I wrote all my opinions on it the entire time. They were very much in line with what a lot of the press said. I had tons of criticism for the game. I had tons of issues. I even went on a huge rant about all the things wrong with the game.

Instead of people talking about it. I was attacked. A lot. Hell, I was attacked almost out of my own thread. Not even getting credit in the new SWTOR thread (after I kept one alive for over 3 years). Now, everything I said is true, and many people are not happy over it.

People hyped up TOR in their own minds. They made it something it wasn't.

GW2, is exactly what people are saying it is. It's exactly like the press is telling you it is. So long as you don't hype it up in your own mind. So long as you don't create something new hype can fulfill, then it will be everything everyone has said it will.

Midou

Norn town looks awesome, I may roll norn just for that. Was deciding between that and human, though norn look giraffish.

Midou

Yeah, I have faith mostly because Anet got better and better with each campaign for GW, to the point where playing first one feels like a chore now. They seem to know what they are doing and how to improve where they are weak.

Proven

Or you could say you are spread too thin? Eles are still way above mesmers in versaility. They can do everything except get hit...so squishy. I see your point to a degree but you are also spreading similar mechanics around. It's not like the Ele with utility and DPS options. You are talking about a lot of mix-ups which really serve about the same purpose. The problem there is that if you have 10 options, you'll probably just pick the most efficient one. At best use a sister skill. So in theory you might envision all these situations, counters, etc... yet the reality might be extremely focused. From my experience with years of build wars, that is pretty much what always happens.
I know you weren't literally trying to speak for me, I was just going through a line of implications in my head and typing out loud.

Anyway, the way I see it, an Ele's versatility is being overblown. The primary conditions they can cause are Burn, Freeze, and Cripple, and then they have some knockback/interrupt moves. The rest is either damage, utility, or healing (and that's mostly just water). They don't have much in the way of tricks and just focus on killing you and keeping you from killing them. It just makes me think of a Warrior in that sense. The difference is that you practically have to constantly swap through attunements just to keep up the pressure in order to keep yourself alive in proper play, while the Warrior just has to worry about adrenaline. And part of me worries that the fire attunement comes with much more DPS than the other three, so you're really just switching out of fire to manage cooldowns or to run away.

It's very possible to make a Mesmer that can do a decent amount of each mechanic, damage, conditions, and interrupt, mainly because his shatters and weapon swap allow him to keep a lot of possibilities open. He can focus on damaging at range or up close like the Ele, and consistently do something else on top of that. It's just that for all of this consistency, it requires clones, and clones are being shoved off as weak gimmicks. But the fact is that you can guarantee damage and conditions like any other class.

As for the playbook comment, what I was describing is what I see in a lot of the PvP videos right now, minus the trait usage. Constantly layering clone after clone and condition after condition while having your shatters ready.

Edit: I chopped up the quote because I figure we're both getting tired of this and I should keep it short. And then I made a post that wasn't short. I should just get off...

Complistic

No mounts. As for world size:

This is the Human starting zone of Queensdale, 15 min of straight running doesn't even put a dent into the area of that single zone that we can see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtTIxvW_FU0

also worth pointing out to someone that might know is that there are plenty of waypoints that you can unlock around a map, so once you've been somewhere you can teleport back to where you've been before (for a small fee). Mounts really aren't necessary.

^ Also Proven you're forgetting about earth attunement that basically lets them tank at the cost of damage. They're versatile, damage(fire), healing(water), and tank(earth). I think air attunement is primarily for spiking as well. They can't tank as well as a soldier could, or do as much individual damage as a thief, or protect as much as a guardian, but the point is they can fill all these rolls in a pinch. Or because Anet thought of everything, through traits they can specialize at one of them at a time.

gunbo13

It's just that for all of this consistency, it requires clones, and clones are being shoved off as weak gimmicks. But the fact is that you can guarantee damage and conditions like any other class.
That's just the part that needs to be proven. Their durability can make the difference. I agree they can have decent versatility across a single bar but as I said, I still question if it is spread too thin.
As for the playbook comment, what I was describing is what I see in a lot of the PvP videos right now, minus the trait usage. Constantly layering clone after clone and condition after condition while having your shatters ready.
You don't know what the opponent is experiencing though. It could be arbitrary.
Edit: I chopped up the quote because I figure we're both getting tired of this and I should keep it short. And then I made a post that wasn't short. I should just get off...
Agreed. We have exhausted this and only hands-on will confirm/deny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom