• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Disregarding the annoying ass screaming into the microphone, this should be required viewing for anyone looking to play the game. It's the only video I've seen so far that shows how I would actually play the game with a friend and experience the questing system, skill systems and the world design.

In particular, the part at the end is something that is just missing from the modern theme park MMO design. I'm not saying that this game is different, but not once in my 100+ hours of SWTOR did I find a place and just say "fuck it, I want to explore in here". They find this cool underwater cave that has nothing to do with the quest they are on, so they just wing it. Fantastic.

Exactly, I agree 100%.

I agree as well. This video is so awesome (screaming aside) and pretty much perfectly sums up what Guild Wars 2 is about.

I was really impressed by Mesmer's Greatsword skills. What a great idea to have them shoot a LASER BEAM out of their sword. I like how they made such a crazy spin on such a traditional weapon. I was wondering how they would make a melee weapon fit a caster type. Looks very spot on.

About performance;

Guild Wars 1 was LEGENDARY for it's crazy low system requirements. Basicially they were really smart by making an engine that were none of the graphics were created server sides. It was all just squares and triangles from the server. I think this is why GW1 was so "floaty". And it was a primitive engine with no Y axis. Which meant jumping or vertical space was not possible no matter what.
GW1 would run on a shitty 800 MHz computer. I remmeber playing the early beta with a crappy Geforce 5200 FX. A truly shitty epic card.

The performance issues in GW2 seems like they will go down. We have seen drastic performance transformations before (Age of Conan comes to mind) and WoW, which have gone the other way(quite taxing, if all the post-years effects are applied).

A lot of fanboys have been running their mouth about how it will have very low system requirements, and while more powerful than GW1, would still run on very low machines.
I never thought GW2 looked very good technically. In every trailer I have in 1080p, I always saw lots of inconsistency in graphics, but I never cared because like Dociu have explained several times. - They choose to give us good graphics through artistic art direction, because it would be less taxing and it would take longer to look dated. We've already seen it too many times with photo realistic games that end up looking more dated that artistic ones.
I hope it will run consistent. Maybe what they should do, is auto downgrade. Once 50-100 players enter an area, the spell effects, shadows and so on, gets downgraded automatically by default. With such chaos, players should not even notice it at all. If they can do that seamlessly, we might end up with a game were people don't have to take down all the effects once they wanna fight 500 other players.

Arment

Are there any good Necromancer videos up that you guys have found?

All I can find are over the shoulder videos from PAX.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So nice to put music to images. Jeremy Soule knocking it out of the park once more.

Hoelbrak looks and sounds mesmerizing.

"Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server. "

Source. Apologies if already posted.

Huzzah! Why the heck is this game making all the advances in the MMO genre when this shit should've been done years ago?? ArenaNet picking up that flag and dragging it for miles away from the competition.

Vano

I was really impressed by Mesmer's Greatsword skills. What a great idea to have them shoot a LASER BEAM out of their sword.

ipzEFBS8j1P0b.gif

Yep :D

Sophia

Huzzah! Why the heck is this game making all the advances in the MMO genre when this shit should've been done years ago?? ArenaNet picking up that flag and dragging it for miles away from the competition.

Every other MMO was trying to dance to the beat of World of Warcraft, where as ArenaNet is dancing to the beat of their own tune. And this time, they have a surround sound system. :p

spirity

Disregarding the annoying ass screaming into the microphone, this should be required viewing for anyone looking to play the game. It's the only video I've seen so far that shows how I would actually play the game with a friend and experience the questing system, skill systems and the world design.

In particular, the part at the end is something that is just missing from the modern theme park MMO design. I'm not saying that this game is different, but not once in my 100+ hours of SWTOR did I find a place and just say "fuck it, I want to explore in here". They find this cool underwater cave that has nothing to do with the quest they are on, so they just wing it. Fantastic.

That's what an MMO should be about, imo. You ought to feel like your mapping your own story, or journey. That your actions are governed not by a quest log, but by a desire to discover and explore. Its what thrilled me about the genre when I first discovered it, and its something that's sorely missing from it today.

Rokam

Are there any good Necromancer videos up that you guys have found?

All I can find are over the shoulder videos from PAX.

Tankspot.com the BFF report. He plays a necromancer for the dungeon section, but it's not extremely indepth as he is just showing off the dungeon not the classes.

Forkball

If this game is even 1/4 as good as everyone is saying, it will be one hell of a title. It looks ready enough, just give me the game!

DJIzana

I couldn't stand how annoying they were but the end of your statement, for the underwater part, made me want to continue to watch & wow... was I ever blown away by that. Freaking amazing detail!

As someone who plays mmos (read WoW) mostly for raiding I'm not sure how long I'll play this game. I appreciate that they are trying something new but I actually prefer having tanks, healers, dps in group play. Will definitely buy it though, thankfully there's no monthly fee.

Cipherr

"Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server. "

Source. Apologies if already posted.

Jesus fuck. I really wish these guys had the money a company like blizzard has access too. Its very clear that they give plenty a damn about progressing the genre. Some fantastic ideas here.

Mulligan

Banned
Jesus fuck. I really wish these guys had the money a company like blizzard has access too. Its very clear that they give plenty a damn about progressing the genre. Some fantastic ideas here.

If they did i'm sure we would have the same GW2 as we have today, i doubt more money would change anything and that they have more than enough funds. I'd be really interested to know how much the development cycle has cost them though..

Ferny

Wow an overflow server....this game really is pulling out all the stops and progressing even more than it already has. What happens when the overflow server becomes full? Does time stand still?! Does the overflow go into the overflow?!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
lmao yeah, their videos are pretty good and funny, but oh man the scream. The guy use keys and dodge too.

Yeah lol I saw that too.

Saw the Mesmer video that was posted earlier. Shooting lasers through their Greatswords... well goddamn. *golfclap*

Haven't gone through them all yet but do we have any Engineer videos?

Proven

From another forum:

Just had a thought, maybe the mesmer play isn't always about illusions and tricking people, maybe its about playing a game with your opponent, and that game varies on what kind of weapon you use.

1 handed sword main hand + offhand = difficulty detecting the right mesmer when played right, melee so easy to mimic the AI of the clones, with utility from the offhands.

Greatsword= setting up a game that the enemy will lose, keeping them at range and using the retreat to place clones at long distances to the enemy and yourself. If he goes for them, you gain damage, if he does the 3 clones gain the damage, with the added utility of the weapon causing the kills.

Staff= dotting. Simple as you run and dot, pressuring the opponent, using mantras and the phantasms for extra damage, and the duplication for slight deception, but mainly to add to the dots and to shatter for a stun or reflection.

Scepter+ offhand = ranged of some sort, not quite sure yet on that one tbh, possibly playing similar to the 1 handed sword.

This is what I'm looking forward to. You don't do any kind of long term deception but instead create a multitude of small and short problems for your opponents to solve. It's the same thing you did with Hexes in GW1. And on top of that, one of your shatters is essentially an interrupt, and then you have the Domination line of traits, and there are even some skills that increase the health of clones so they're not just one hit...

etiolate

Banned
For one thing, a lot of these videos are in the starting areas, where there's a lot of leeway. I haven't seen anyone really play Mesmer well in any PvP or WvW videos yet, if at all. The Mesmer is one of the light armor classes, and even in GW1 his abilities tended to be indirect. Everyone is being drawn to him for now because of the flashy and a couple of easy to spam abilities, but you're going to be more flimsy than a sheet of paper coming up against a real threat. People don't know how to play, and the main difference is that people casually playing Mesmer in GW1 gave up sooner.

Everyone's new to the game, but no other class has lost so much identity as the Mesmer has and newness doesn't change how inherently handicapped the illusion mechanic is. This feels like one of those bork class defining things that hamper a class throughout. It's like shaman totems in that way.

Mulligan

Banned
Everyone's new to the game, but no other class has lost so much identity as the Mesmer has and newness doesn't change how inherently handicapped the illusion mechanic is. This feels like one of those bork class defining things that hamper a class throughout. It's like shaman totems in that way.

How so?

TheYanger

I was really impressed by Mesmer's Greatsword skills. What a great idea to have them shoot a LASER BEAM out of their sword. I like how they made such a crazy spin on such a traditional weapon. I was wondering how they would make a melee weapon fit a caster type. Looks very spot on.

About performance;

Guild Wars 1 was LEGENDARY for it's crazy low system requirements. Basicially they were really smart by making an engine that were none of the graphics were created server sides. It was all just squares and triangles from the server. I think this is why GW1 was so "floaty". And it was a primitive engine with no Y axis. Which meant jumping or vertical space was not possible no matter what.
GW1 would run on a shitty 800 MHz computer. I remmeber playing the early beta with a crappy Geforce 5200 FX. A truly shitty epic card.

The performance issues in GW2 seems like they will go down. We have seen drastic performance transformations before (Age of Conan comes to mind) and WoW, which have gone the other way(quite taxing, if all the post-years effects are applied).

A lot of fanboys have been running their mouth about how it will have very low system requirements, and while more powerful than GW1, would still run on very low machines.
I never thought GW2 looked very good technically. In every trailer I have in 1080p, I always saw lots of inconsistency in graphics, but I never cared because like Dociu have explained several times. - They choose to give us good graphics through artistic art direction, because it would be less taxing and it would take longer to look dated. We've already seen it too many times with photo realistic games that end up looking more dated that artistic ones.
I hope it will run consistent. Maybe what they should do, is auto downgrade. Once 50-100 players enter an area, the spell effects, shadows and so on, gets downgraded automatically by default. With such chaos, players should not even notice it at all. If they can do that seamlessly, we might end up with a game were people don't have to take down all the effects once they wanna fight 500 other players.

I'm not sure why you think other games have their graphics rendered on the server ;p

Proven

I just don't see it the same way. I look at all of the things that he can do in his traits (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_mesmer_traits), and see the same handicapping you could do in GW1. If you focus on his clones, then every one you break can damage you, interrupt you, cast a condition on you... all without the Mesmer having to shatter them himself. If you focus on the Mesmer, then the clones add extra damage and conditions to you as you chase after a dodging player. If you do an AoE attack, you only get the clones that are actually grouped together. Then at any time the Mesmer could have just stealthed around a corner (or right behind you).

It just sounds like what happened in GW1; the Mesmer is a class that doesn't seem all that flashy or useful, but can really make you pay no matter what you choose to do.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just checked out some of the combat videos from Yogscast. None of the new stuff has done anything to change my opinion on the way the combat looks. It just looks awkward.

Mulligan

Banned
I just don't see it the same way. I look at all of the things that he can do in his traits (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_mesmer_traits), and see the same handicapping you could do in GW1. If you focus on his clones, then every one you break can damage you, interrupt you, cast a condition on you... all without the Mesmer having to shatter them himself. If you focus on the Mesmer, then the clones add extra damage and conditions to you as you chase after a dodging player. If you do an AoE attack, you only get the clones that are actually grouped together. Then at any time the Mesmer could have just stealthed around a corner (or right behind you).

It just sounds like what happened in GW1; the Mesmer is a class that doesn't seem all that flashy or useful, but can really make you pay no matter what you choose to do.

Yep. As i stated earlier, i think the Mesmer will be the most complex and deep class which may intimidate people at first who arnt willing to delve into the skills and traits, getting to know the ins and outs.

As Proven said, put a Mesmer into a skilled players hands and i predict that they will make you suffer more so than any other class if you make a few slip ups against them.

etiolate

Banned

It's prone to both anti-melee and anti-casting mechanics. They are spells so anti-spell stuff prevents them, but once cast, they are prone to anti-melee counters like cripple and aoe. Also, most of the skills are balanced around the shatter/illusion half of their use. The illusions die easily, meaning you get half the skills intended use at times. Further along the earlier bit, the illusions all work along melee rules while allowing the player no control over them. Their AI doesn't avoid aoe or take up reliable placements for the player to consider. Where your illusion pops out is random in order not to be so obvious which is which, but also hampers a player in reliably placing their attacks.

Mostly, they accomplish screen clutter. They provide multiple targets, but in that sense they've done the same thing that ANet claimed they were avoiding with old Mesmer design. (The clutter of hexes.) Instead of bringing in the counter-caster element of Mesmer, they made them a pet class with bad pet AI.

gunbo13

It resembles an anti-melee/condition mesmer of GW1. A specific mesmer build type. The clones are basically hex "carriers." But passive interrupts are in a different class then active. You are losing the ability to deny overall casting rate/efficiency and basically control the enemy's behavior. Really, domination is just gone. Boon removal is a bit like enchant strips in GW1 but won't be as game changing. All the condition application mirrors the illusion snares and skills like phantom pain. ANET is just fleshing out the quantity of the condition based skills to sort of make up for the lack of range.

So you are left with what is a reference to illusion shut-down GW1 with the new clone system. Maybe that's interesting. But personally, the fun for me came from illusion pressure and domination shut-down. Adding the cloning on top of the illusion shut-down doesn't sweeten the pot enough.

Proven

Engineer PvP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z7Sh1geKYc

Edit: lol, I posted before watching the video, but it seems there's a Mesmer on the opponent's team.

It's prone to both anti-melee and anti-casting mechanics. They are spells so anti-spell stuff prevents them, but once cast, they are prone to anti-melee counters like cripple and aoe. Also, most of the skills are balanced around the shatter/illusion half of their use. The illusions die easily, meaning you get half the skills intended use at times. Further along the earlier bit, the illusions all work along melee rules while allowing the player no control over them. Their AI doesn't avoid aoe or take up reliable placements for the player to consider. Where your illusion pops out is random in order not to be so obvious which is which, but also hampers a player in reliably placing their attacks.

Mostly, they accomplish screen clutter. They provide multiple targets, but in that sense they've done the same thing that ANet claimed they were avoiding with old Mesmer design. (The clutter of hexes.) Instead of bringing in the counter-caster element of Mesmer, they made them a pet class with bad pet AI.
Actually, that's exactly what ANet said they were going to do; move away from the clutter of hexes in your UI and instead move it to the area around your character. And getting half a skill's use at times mirrors GW1. I disagree with the placement comment only as much as you should consider what you're going to do with that clone casting skill in the first place. There are times where you want to drop it and keep running. I'm confused by what you mean by anti-casting mechanics, besides possibly teleport/leap skills that let you close the gap quickly. Daze doesn't really work the same way in GW2, and I realize now that since everything's a skill, the Confusion status allows you to avoid the dilemma of choosing between Backfire and Empathy. The block mechanics, unless they specifically say different, all seem to block melee, physical projectiles, and magic projectiles equally, meaning that the only way to get through at times is magical AoE or a barrage of attacks.

etiolate

Banned
Engineer PvP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z7Sh1geKYc

Actually, that's exactly what ANet said they were going to do; move away from the clutter of hexes in your UI and instead move it to the area around your character. And getting half a skill's use at times mirrors GW1. I disagree with the placement comment only as much as you should consider what you're going to do with that clone casting skill in the first place. There are times where you want to drop it and keep running. I'm confused by what you mean by anti-casting mechanics, besides possibly teleport/leap skills that let you close the gap quickly. Daze doesn't really work the same way in GW2, and I realize now that since everything's a skill, the Confusion status allows you to avoid the dilemma of choosing between Backfire and Empathy. The block mechanics, unless they specifically say different, all seem to block melee, physical projectiles, and magic projectiles equally, meaning that the only way to get through at times is magical AoE or a barrage of attacks.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'll try restating it.

An elementalist wants to snare you with a cold spell, they cast the cold spell. They're still prone to anti-casting stuff, but once its cast then its done.

The Mesmer wants to cast its snaring skill but it relies on an illusion doing it. It's prone to the same things the Ele is before casting, but once casted, the Mesmer is now prone also to anti-melee because it relies on that illusion doing X_thing to accomplish said snare, and the illusion is a melee type thing.

Does the problem make sense now?

gunbo13

An elementalist wants to snare you with a cold spell, they cast the cold spell. They're still prone to anti-casting stuff, but once its cast then its done.

The Mesmer wants to cast its snaring skill but it relies on an illusion doing it. It's prone to the same things the Ele is before casting, but once casted, the Mesmer is now prone also to anti-melee because it relies on that illusion doing X_thing to accomplish said snare, and the illusion is a melee type thing.

It's basically that in order to mirror other class efficiency, the Mesmer has to run through a whole bunch of hoops. Because condition spamming is at the front replacing hexes, the uniqueness is out. Crippling is not a unique mechanic and to require a clone bomb to be next to the opponent? It isn't a bad effect but a Ranger can press a button to do that.

Confusion is supposed to replace your backfire/empathy. But again, it has a clone bomb implementation. So many hoops. And powerful builds, as etiolate said, may be able to melt through clones without issue. It's really not the same pressure as Mesmers once could pull off. Boon stripping is maybe more important. That's more of the shatter/drain enchantment of old. However, now you aren't stripping something like protective spirit which could mean death. You are taking away an Aegis which would block a single attack... That's not compelling.

So what is dangerous about fighting a Mesmer is the question. The most bothersome class in GW1 doesn't seem that bothersome. It looks more of a "shoo fly" with purple lasers.

EDIT:
Confusion stacking is one area though that I'm curious about. Unfortunately, cry of frustration kills all your shit off but the skill backfire at least creates a phantasm to apply it. Again though, so many damn hoops for both. You might as well quit your day job to monitor your confusion game.

Klyka

Banned
I can't believe how completely clueless and retarded those Yogscast people are.
People actually watch their videos? How can anyone stomach even 20 seconds of this?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The guy playing the Engineer was having trouble at first, but near the end he started using more of his skills which earned him a few kills.

Seeing him pull out some of that John Woo swag by dodge/rolling and shooting was great. It's getting harder with each passing day deciding on whether to main a Guardian or an Engineer.

Kalnos

Banned
I can't believe how completely clueless and retarded those Yogscast people are.
People actually watch their videos? How can anyone stomach even 20 seconds of this?

They gained their fans through Minecraft, if you can stand that much Minecraft then you can probably handle their shtick.

Proven

Another Mesmer PvP video, but this one ends before the match is over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYzmF5BuWbs

But, in that case, as long as the illusion is up then the snare keeps getting reapplied. Illusions generally do the basic attack, so if it's set to also do something else, that something else happens whenever the basic attack hits, or when the illusion is destroyed. If the illusion is KO'd, I don't think it'll happen so quick that it won't get at least one shot off. In the case that that can happen, then it'll be when someone is right up in your face, and if the elementalist was in that same position, he'd also be in trouble.

etiolate

Banned
Another Mesmer PvP video, but this one ends before the match is over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYzmF5BuWbs

But, in that case, as long as the illusion is up then the snare keeps getting reapplied. Illusions generally do the basic attack, so if it's set to also do something else, that something else happens whenever the basic attack hits, or when the illusion is destroyed. If the illusion is KO'd, I don't think it'll happen so quick that it won't get at least one shot off. In the case that that can happen, then it'll be when someone is right up in your face, and if the elementalist was in that same position, he'd also be in trouble.

AOE was insta-killing a lot of illusions in videos. It's a ton of steps with tons of counters to do the same thing another class does in one step with a single counter type.

But that's just one of my problems. The fact that none of this looks to have the feel of being a mesmer is another big issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom