• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator will be released for PC on December 14

Mohasus

Some 5k screenshots I just took.

O8oELqR.jpg

KO8tIIb.jpg

2ZNfSGl.jpg

Either I don't know what 1080p looks like anymore, or Rayge is just trashtalking a port like usual.
Oh wait, it looks like this: https://abload.de/img/12931915154106351616_uaryh.png
Keep in mind that 5k ss are compressed, and this one was upscaled from an uncompressed copy. I was going to upload a direct comparisson (both uncompressed and same characters/stage) but the 5k screenshot is too big for abload.de

What full features would that be?
All sf5 is missing is a generic arcade mode andnif one were to get sf5 now theyd get the game with the latest update and more thatll come down the line

Steam trailer does a good job of explaining the game's content and gives a good idea on how new players should approach it. (Although I think Mission Mode is more valuable than combo trials)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXCAoqpj7Gg

SF5 would be cheaper than this if all I cared about were characters and colors.

Is that true? Aren't SF5 characters 6 dollars a pop vs 5?

So right now wouldn't you have to pay 90 dollars on steam to get "complete" SFV? Since the base game and season pass are still full price.

and this isn't including costumes and stages availible in the game. or Season 2 characters.

And SF5 won't be obsolete in a year and a half when they do it all again, making my 55 dollar purchase with all of this DLC pointless (again) since what I've bought now will be included with the next update

It won't though. There's currently no new arcade version announced so I'm not sure we'll even have a new console version in a year. Definitely no PC version. lol

Pejo

Gold Member
Man, I like so many characters in this iteration, after putzing around in the dojo last night.

Sin was my boy from Sign, and I still like him in Revelator, but Raven really fits my playstyle. Also, Jam is a ton of fun, and Chipp has always been a fun alt for me.

I was a little hesitant on the price, but I want to support these games coming to PC, so I did the deluxe version. Going to dig into Story a bit tonight after work.

At least we got a legit version of Tekken 7 coming

This is so shameful, albeit expected from ASW. One of the super duper BlazBlue versions was $40 for one new character (might have been Platinum) lol

Skilletor

Is that true? Aren't SF5 characters 6 dollars a pop vs 5?

So right now wouldn't you have to pay 90 dollars on steam to get "complete" SFV? Since the base game and season pass are still full price.

and this isn't including costumes and stages availible in the game. or Season 2 characters.

It won't though. There's currently no new arcade version announced so I'm not sure we'll even have a new console version in a year. Definitely no PC version. lol

I'm not going to go down this path. My opinion is that this is an awful value for a late port. It is a joke that they're charging for DLC on a game that came out a year ago on consoles. Sure, there's no version announced right now. I don't see why I should trust ASW not to announce one soon, though, given their track record. And it's absolutely a fact that this will be nothing more than wasted disc space since ASW won't allow an upgrade path for any of their games. That, to me, is awful.

No point comparing this to SF5, as so many people like to do, when there are numerous other fighters that have a business model that doesn't fuck over consumers, and doesn't leave previous iterations in the dust, doesn't split an already small userbase, etc, etc.

Momentary

Banned
Some 5k screenshots I just took.

O8oELqR.jpg

KO8tIIb.jpg

2ZNfSGl.jpg

Either I don't know what 1080p looks like anymore, or Rayge is just trashtalking a port like usual.
Oh wait, it looks like this: https://abload.de/img/12931915154106351616_uaryh.png
Keep in mind that 5k ss are compressed, and this one was upscaled from an uncompressed copy. I was going to upload a direct comparisson (both uncompressed and same characters/stage) but the 5k screenshot is too big for abload.de

How am I trash talking when I'm saying I'm enjoying the game even though I can't get resolution to work in a .ini file that I have to dig through. how about instead of taking a jab at me and getting butt hurt because you feel like I said something horribly wrong about the game you give an explanation on how you got it to run at 5k since there are people who are experiencing the same issue as me?

No point comparing this to SF5, as so many people like to do, when there are numerous other fighters that have a business model that doesn't fuck over consumers, and doesn't leave previous iterations in the dust, doesn't split an already small userbase, etc, etc.

You compared it to SFV though! lol

I'm just asking how you came to the conclusion that it's cheaper. That just seems like a factually incorrect statement from my perspective so I was hoping you could explain to me something I didn't know.

Skilletor

You compared it to SFV though! lol

I'm just asking how you came to the conclusion that it's cheaper. That just seems like a factually incorrect statement from my perspective so I was hoping you could explain to me something I didn't know.

I didn't. I was responding to somebody else who did.

You're right, right now, it's more expensive. I thought the price on the game had dropped on Steam since it has everywhere else. That's my mistake.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
On the low-spec end, I tried this on my GPD WIN (3DS XL-sized PC) and could only get it to run around 20-30 FPS max, so it's unplayable. Was hoping to somehow get a handheld version of the game, heh. I wonder if I can mess with the .ini settings and get a resolution lower than what the game offers in the menu settings? Hmmm...

Runs great on my Surface Pro 4, but I get some weird visual glitches in the background when doing jumps sometimes. Weird.

Haven't tried it on my desktop PC, but I know it will run the game perfectly.

Momentary

Banned
Yeah, please share. I've been holding off on the purchase until downsampling is confirmed.

Follow this guide.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=818606016

On the low-spec end, I tried this on my GPD WIN (3DS XL-sized PC) and could only get it to run around 20-30 FPS max, so it's unplayable. Was hoping to somehow get a handheld version of the game, heh. I wonder if I can mess with the .ini settings and get a resolution lower than what the game offers in the menu settings? Hmmm...

Runs great on my Surface Pro 4, but I get some weird visual glitches in the background when doing jumps sometimes. Weird.

Haven't tried it on my desktop PC, but I know it will run the game perfectly.

Use this guide to bump down settings past what's available in the game's GUI.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/376300/discussions/0/487876568224428652/

This guide is for -Sign- but it is said to work for Revelator as well.

Wait. People are mad about the price despite all that it includes? So what if it was late? That's par for the course when it comes to pc! I really hope none of you play Street Fighter V!
None of your post is factually correct, what are you even talking about?

petran79

Banned
What full features would that be?
All sf5 is missing is a generic arcade mode andnif one were to get sf5 now theyd get the game with the latest update and more thatll come down the line

Problem is that SFV needs to be constantly online in order to have fight money and unlock features.

I like to play fighters on a laptop without internet, so all that unlocking goes to waste. At least with this fighter I can unlock features in offline mode.

Capcom strayed too far with this new direction

spoonztt

Anyone having any issues where the game doesn't play the in game audio? I'm not getting any audio besides the movies that play at the start. The game doesn't show up in Volume Mixer either.

So far I've tried reinstalling audio drivers, rolling back audio drivers, troubleshooted in playback properties as well. DirectX is up to date according to dxdiag. Stumped as to what else I can try. Any ideas?

The game runs flawlessly otherwise.

Nezzhil

To anyone that can't change the resolution of the game, even following the steam community guide step by step. Be sure that the resolution that you want to set is a 16:9 one. Ex: if I try to change the game resolution to the same of screen, 1680x1050 (16:10), it will not work. But if I set it to the nearest of the 16:9 ones -for me the 1600x900- it will run fine with only a little upscale.

BadWolf

considering game is hard to learn in order to master and play properly, I am not surprised at the few numbers of good players online.

Would not dare to challenge any of them. I'd get ridiculed or rejected.

Getting into a fighting game at the beginning is actually the best time since that is when it has the most new and low level players.

Later is when mostly the experienced players are left.

Getting into a fighting game at the beginning is actually the best time since that is when it has the most new and low level players.

That's only half true. A lot of those "experienced" players are just new players that have improved and gotten better. So the skill gap isn't as insurmountable as people make it out to be when they say this.

If you want to find new players though both the Discord channel and the reddit channel have sections for beginner match making that are active even prior to PC launch.

There's no good time or bad time to learn a fighting game. You just have to have the interest in actually learning to play. Anything else is an excuse.

considering game is hard to learn in order to master and play properly, I am not surprised at the few numbers of good players online.

Would not dare to challenge any of them. I'd get ridiculed or rejected.

Nah. You'll just get beat. :p

I'm not going to say that everyone isn't like that, but most good players don't troll new players because they remember what it's like to be bad. And what that's like is playing good players to learn and improve.

So no one is going to deny you that chance to play and get better. You just have to make the most of those games and not get discouraged or frustrated by the losses

Tizoc

Problem is that SFV needs to be constantly online in order to have fight money and unlock features.

I like to play fighters on a laptop without internet, so all that unlocking goes to waste. At least with this fighter I can unlock features in offline mode.

Capcom strayed too far with this new direction

Yeah I'll give you that inf act that was one of my biggest gripes with SF5. GG Xrd SIGN didn't need to be online to track your in game currency collecting.

petran79

Banned
If only SF5 stored your FM achievements next time you logged online...

Guilty Gear has greater continuity than Street Fighter. The latter made so many changes, both in 3d and 2d games. Same with KOF. While GG retains the classic gameplay and mechanics of AC,making transition for experienced players easier.
I may get joy by playing against better players and learning the game, but reaching a point to actually challenge them will take years. Dont know if I'll have interest in the game till then. So I'll keep with the former way of playing.

Ok:

Bought and installed game in a net cafe, played for 50 minutes with default keyboard controlls.

Game has higher requirements than Sign. Same low spec rig could run the first game on max settings. Here I had to disable all gfx and even then framerate was 45-50 fps.

Surprised it is 32-bit and still using DX9.

Hope for a performance patch soon. Or else it will be unplayable on laptop that can run Sign at low res. I'll need to tweak ini settings.
Have a high end desktop too, but only for some weekends since I am away from home.

With so many characters, game reached its peak. Since it has both Johnny and May, my mains in AC+, I dont care for next upgrades.

Didnt like Dizzy 3d version though. They tried to imitate her 2d design instead of creating something new with 3d. Jam, May and Johnny didnt have that issue that much. You feel they have something that sets them apart from AC. For Dizzy the FMV animations are so out of tune with her in-game expressions.

Kioshen

How approachable as a non-airdasher player is Johnny ? He looks the most badass and fun with the mist finers and stuff. As much as I like watching Mynus play I-No and all the fun stuff she does I'm afraid my hands won't be able to keep up. IIRC she had a very high execution barrier in AC R+.

pizzacat

Banned
How approachable as a non-airdasher player is Johnny ? He looks the most badass and fun with the mist finers and stuff. As much as I like watching Mynus play I-No and all the fun stuff she does I'm afraid my hands won't be able to keep up. IIRC she had a very high execution barrier in AC R+.
Johnny is all about execution so don't or if you want to put in work

Put in work

FACE

Banned

Except GG is one of those series where a lot carries over from game to game and a bunch of people have been playing for years at this point.

This version of I-No is easier than AC+R

Go practice Mist Cancels in training mode a bit.

If you don't think that's something you could get to feel natural to you, you can't play the character.

There's actually a guide on Dustloop that gives basic guidelines on how to approach learning him

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R/Johnny/Strategy#Learning_Johnny

thundr51

Normally play Ky, but decided to give Jack-O a try and I like her a lot, but it seems she's basically joke tier. I saw all the nerfs from 1.03 and thought they would give her something back in 1.04 but nope.

Anyway, despite the above would like to put in more time with this character but ever since I made the switch to joysticks I can NOT do IADs and most vids/combos seem like they're required. Should I even bother?

petran79

Banned
Go practice Mist Cancels in training mode a bit.

If you don't think that's something you could get to feel natural to you, you can't play the character.

There's actually a guide on Dustloop that gives basic guidelines on how to approach learning him

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R/Johnny/Strategy#Learning_Johnny

First time I heard of Mist Cancels. Had no idea they existed in Accent Core either.

Thats the difference with high level play. I find the character enjoyable using just his command list moves and few 3-5 hit combos, but beyond that...its blank

Roman cancels are a riddle too since my play is too basic to even use it correctly.

Hence I abstain from online play. Skills might suffice for beating CPU on hard, but not more. Even trials I can reach half the most.

All this is a different world to me.

Kioshen

Thanks for the feedback guys! I was on the fence to buy this game so I'll have a look at the dust loop wiki to see if it's something I could sink my time into.

First time I heard of Mist Cancels. Had no idea they existed in Accent Core either.

Thats the difference with high level play. I find the character enjoyable using just his command list moves and few 3-5 hit combos, but beyond that...its blank

Roman cancels are a riddle too since my play is too basic to even use it correctly.

Hence I abstain from online play. Skills might suffice for beating CPU on hard, but not more. Even trials I can reach half the most.

All this is a different world to me.

Yeah Johnny is probably out of your depth atm. (Nothing to feel bad about, he's out of mine too and I came in during Sign :p)

Ggj3KMO.png

This image I think does a pretty good job of ranking the difficulty levels of the cast. (My apologies to the original creator I can't remember your name to source)

I think aesthetics are important in these games, but sometimes you just have to pick a character that is better suited to your strengths and goals in the game. Even if their aesthetics may not be what you want out of a character.

Honestly that's not a bad place to start. Pick a character, learn a few simple BnB's into knock downs and then just play. Playing is the only way to learn these games. There's a lot of things you just have to experience before you can understand them.

This video might be something worth keeping an eye on as well. The creator I think is planning a series of videos covering what it's like transitioning to Guilty Gear/Airdash games from Street Fighter.

Momentary

Banned
I felt like trying to get good with Ram was a mistake. I agree with that ranking for her. She's probably the most difficult character I've ever tried to learn. Learning curve isn't what determines who I play though. I just happened to love the moveset of hers and thought it would be awesome to get good with her.

Renekton

Except the vets coming from -SIGN- are gonna kick our asses hard.

Might get it in a week, so I guess I'll add anyone who's going to be playing. I play Venom.

The game released too expensive, and with any PC fighting game that isn't Street Fighter, you're kind of going to have to go out of your way to find games. So it's a pain but entirely expected for it to have a low player count.

El Sabroso

not getting any supersampling from the inis, the only method working for me right now was setting up the custom resolution as desktop resolution for the monitor and then it works, otherwise not

Veal

None of your post is factually correct, what are you even talking about?
What are YOU taking about? Some people in this thread voiced their displeasure at a full price port coming later to PC as if the developer owes them for not having it out day and date with the other versions. I can understand the disappointment, but expecting a price drop because the version came out later is a little foolish. And PC owners, at least for a limited time, get a discount that basically gives them the dlc for free (provided that you own Sign, which I do).

And I don't know how long you've been PC gaming, if you do at all, but PC ports generally, almost as a rule, come out later than the console versions, especially Japanese games. This has been pretty consistent.

Street Fighter V released to many people unsatisfied with it's anemic offering of features and modes and yet, people still paid their $60. This game should be those peoples' wet dream if modes and features are what they are after.

petran79

Banned
Game might be expensive but currently it is the best and most featured and polished modern 2d fighting game on PC, if not on the market. Deserves the price. But it will drop to half on Steam sales soon, dont worry.

It is SFV that should have been released at 40€/$. Differences in presentation and features between this and SFV are immense.

What are YOU taking about? Some people in this thread voiced their displeasure at a full price port coming later to PC as if the developer owes them for not having it out day and date with the other versions. I can understand the disappointment, but expecting a price drop because the version came out later is a little foolish. And PC owners, at least for a limited time, get a discount that basically gives them the dlc for free (provided that you own Sign, which I do).

And I don't know how long you've been PC gaming, if you do at all, but PC ports generally, almost as a rule, come out later than the console versions, especially Japanese games. This has been pretty consistent.

Street Fighter V released to many people unsatisfied with it's anemic offering of features and modes and yet, people still paid their $60. This game should be those peoples' wet dream if modes and features are what they are after.

:lol You still haven't answered what "all it includes" means. A small discount for already owning previous entries as some type of awesome deal is beyond laughable. You can handwave all you want but it's not an illegetimate compliant about pricing and the lack of dlc being included when it's months late and I can buy the console version for $15-$20 by going to a major retailer like amazon and just clicking buy. It's essentially sending it to die which is why many late PC ports like this have something bundled in or a reduced price.

SFV had a lot of backlash regardless of platform so I'm sure why "some" people paying $60 somehow invalidates all complaints that someone could have about this release. Saying there have been garbage releases in the past doesn't mean other companies following suit is ok. What a terrible opinion.

:lol You still haven't answered what "all it includes" means. A small discount for already owning previous entries as some type of awesome deal is beyond laughable. You can handwave all you want but it's not an illegetimate compliant about pricing and the lack of dlc being included when it's months late and I can buy the console version for $15-$20 by going to a major retailer like amazon and just clicking buy. It's essentially sending it to die which is why many late PC ports like this have something bundled in or a reduced price.

Just for the sake of comparison

Price of Steam DLC pack: $64.99
Price of Steam Deluxe with 20% Discount: $52.64

Price of Steam Deluxe Equivalent on PS4:

• Xrd Revelator - $19.99
  • Raven - $2.49
  • Kum Haehyun - $7.99
  • Dizzy -$7.99
  • Elphelt Alt Costume - $2.99
  • Character Colors Full Set - $17.99
  • System Voice Full Set - $19.99
  • Eclipse Color Set - $4.99
Total: $84.42

Price of game + 3 characters(using prices above) on PS4: $38.46

Difference between best deal on Steam ($52.64 for everything) and best deal on PS4 ($38.46 for characters only): $14.18

I guess it's all a matter of perspective, but as a day 1 PS4 user, I think paying $14.18 more for everything is a pretty good deal. Considering on PS4 buying all the colors costs more than that.

Momentary

Banned
I'm good with the 20% they gave me on release. I don't have a console and don't plan on ever buying one, so for me to pay $15 for the game I'd have to buy a PS4 Pro since I'm not one for buying into baseline models.

I understand peoples anger towards the game being cheaper on PS4 along with them getting free characters, but it's really a non issue for me personally since $52 isn't that bad of a price point for a game in a genre that I've loved since the 1980's. I guess I'm so used to importing games back in the 90's for $80-$100 that pricing for today's games just seem super reasonable to me.

It will probably get a discount in a few weeks of 50%, but I have a feeling people still won't be happy about the price.

-------------------------------
Only thing that irks me is that if they were going to charge this much for the game they should have included a more robust visual settings menu in the PC version instead of having us dig through ini files to try and get the game to look good on higher end output devices. This game looks really pixelated on a 4K T.V. before going into the .ini file and setting the game to render at native resolutions.

Aside from that I'm really enjoying all the extra modes. I'm getting obliterated online since I haven't really been into GG since GGX2. But all the extras are keeping me pretty entertained. I'm really loving collecting items for the Diorama stuff in the game.

This was such an awesome idea by Ark System Works. Hopefully they go further in depth with it in future installments. Also, I feel like the story mode for this game is better than any other fighting game out there. Nothing even comes close.

• Xrd Revelator - $19.99
  • Raven - $2.49
  • Kum Haehyun - $7.99
  • Dizzy -$7.99

Difference between best deal on Steam ($52.64 for everything) and best deal on PS4 ($38.46 for characters only): $14.18

I guess it's all a matter of perspective, but as a day 1 PS4 user, I think paying $14.18 more for everything is a pretty good deal. Considering on PS4 buying all the colors costs more than that.

Wow. I guess the pricing isn't even bad now that you've brought this too light. I still think people are going to be upset that they didn't get the chance to get free characters like the console version though.

Wow. I guess the pricing isn't even bad now that you've brought this too light. I still think people are going to be upset that they didn't get the chance to get free characters like the console version though.

Yeah but I think people aren't really looking at the situations with equivalence. The free characters on console was our 20% Deluxe edition. Our perk for supporting the game at launch for 60 dollars, just like the 20% off is Steam's launch perk. You can get everything now for 52 bucks and enjoy the game, or wait for steeper discounts on the base version during steam sales and buy the DLC you want piecemeal.

At the end of the day I think people just don't want to pay 52 dollars for a fighting game, and are justifying that with all these false equivalencies and depreciated value arguments.

• Xrd Revelator - $19.99
  • Raven - $2.49
  • Kum Haehyun - $7.99
  • Dizzy -$7.99

Where are you getting 20% discount from? Owning the first game?

And maybe we care about very different things because I'm worried about characters than overpriced color swaps for outfits.

Yeah but I think people aren't really looking at the situations with equivalence. The free characters on console was our 20% Deluxe edition. Our perk for supporting the game at launch for 60 dollars, just like the 20% off is Steam's launch perk. You can get everything now for 52 bucks and enjoy the game, or wait for steeper discounts on the base version during steam sales and buy the DLC you want piecemeal.

At the end of the day I think people just don't want to pay 52 dollars for a fighting game, and are justifying that with all these false equivalencies and depreciated value arguments.

LMAO, yes just put words into people's mouths about what they "really" mean. Glad to know I've never bought $60 fighting games before! So ridiculous.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not too fussed either way, but isn't a bunch of that stuff buyable with in-game currency? Raven and Elphelt's alt are both fishable, at the very least.

where is this 20% discount you guys are discussing found at? I only see a 10% discount (Steam)

Where are you getting 20% discount from? Owning the first game?

Yeah. Users that own Sign get an additional 10% off, that I'm assuming will persist after the 10% launch bonus ends.

So right now Sign owners are getting 20% If you don't own Sign you have to pay about 5 dollars more.

2i0cFat.png

And maybe we care about very different things because I'm worried about characters than overpriced color swaps for outfits.

That's why I included the cost of the game for 20 dollars + DLC characters for comparison

I'm not too fussed either way, but isn't a bunch of that stuff buyable with in-game currency? Raven and Elphelt's alt are both fishable, at the very least.

You're right. But it's only those two I believe. So you'd subtract 5.49 from my Deluxe equivalent total, and 2.49 from the cost of the base game + characters.(Making them 78.93 and 35.97)

LMAO, yes just put words into people's mouths about what they "really" mean. Glad to know I've never bought $60 fighting games before! So ridiculous.

Not trying to put words in anyone's mouth. That's just my honest assessment of the arguments people are making.

If you don't think it's worth it that's fine. Ultimately that's up to each individual user. I'm just challenging the idea that games are intrinsically worth less/less valuable because of reasons like "late port", and also that PS4 users are getting a vastly better deal here.

Top Bottom