• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- Demo out on PS4 now! (2GB , PS+ Required)

Has there ever been a non-two player fighting game demo? Had friends over tonight to play Smash, there were all excited to play the demo and non of us knew about it being story mode/practice only. Huge bummer. Can't wait for the full game, but what an odd thing to do.

MattXIII

Really enjoyed the demo, fantastic fusion of 2D and 3D, everything's still got that over-designed look to it.

Pity my local FGC wont touch this game, so i'll be playing solo

RS4-

I can vouch for the Titan One. The only thing is that due to the way PS4 accessory authentication works, it has to refresh the authentication every 10 minutes. In practice, the dongle automatically "unplugs" itself and plugs back in. The whole process takes about a half second.

If you're using the dongle for fighting games, I'd recommend manually unplugging and replugging it after every match, just so that it doesn't happen mid-match. The developer is supposed to be working on a better solution, though.

The alternate workaround is to leave a DS4 plugged in to maintain the authentication, then use a laptop as a passthrough for your stick.

I thought that was partially fixed. But the pass through has something to do with a plug-in right? I'll try the demo out on pad and see how it goes. But yeah, leaving a ds4 connected isn't a problem; unless that requires a different kind of USB cable lol.

dem0neyes

Really enjoyed the demo, fantastic fusion of 2D and 3D, everything's still got that over-designed look to it.

Pity my local FGC wont touch this game, so i'll be playing solo

Well assuming the online will be glorious there should be a healthy online community for it. None of my local players plan on touching this game so I'm gonna have to grind it out online.

wwm0nkey

Well assuming the online will be glorious there should be a healthy online community for it. None of my local players plan on touching this game so I'm gonna have to grind it out online.
The games online will probably be very healthy due to cross platform and region play. Also no region lock so UK players can freely import. (Apparently CA is counted with NA so they are getting it on the 16th?)

I was really trying to hold out since I invested so much money last gen in fightsticks but now I have to get one for the PS4. I wasn't expecting Xrd to need it since it's primarily a 4 button fighter but I was struggling to get moves out last night on the DS4.

wwm0nkey

I was really trying to hold out since I invested so much money last gen in fightsticks but now I have to get one for the PS4. I wasn't expecting Xrd to need it since it's primarily a 4 button fighter but I was struggling to get moves out last night on the DS4.
Well ASW is aware of the Skull Girl driver so you may not need a new stick.

Well ASW is aware of the Skull Girl driver so you may not need a new stick.

Does Skullgirls support the Mad Catz stick? I got it for PC so I had no idea is so. That would be awesome since every PS4 stick I've seen costs a fortune.

Edit: I just found the article. That's so good, I hope Arc adds support to Xrd as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Holy jeebus, this game is insanely impressive looking in person. I cannot believe how well this captures the look of an animated show. Seriously impressive work here.

I want a cell shaded 3D RPG that looks like this. Make it 30fps so the graphics are even better.
Since they simulate a low frame-rate anyways it would probably be fine at 30 fps. I'd imagine this game is limited by the fact that it's also a PS3 title. Definitely would love to see visuals of this quality used in an RPG or even a 2D platform game.

wwm0nkey

Has anyone got Bedman fight yet? His stage has some silent hill shit going on.

Also the way the stages in this game change over the course of a fight is amazing

Holy jeebus, this game is insanely impressive looking in person. I cannot believe how well this captures the look of an animated show. Seriously impressive work here.

It's kind of funny to me that they did such a great job replicating 2D sprites with these models that they deliberately insert 3D sequences into the fight so that you don't forget. And I was forgetting... constantly.

I was expecting going in that the game wouldn't be this impressive in person and the videos we've seen up until now were hiding imperfections in Arc's techniques but I was so wrong.
I want a cell shaded 3D RPG that looks like this. Make it 30fps so the graphics are even better.
I've been praying for years that SE would make an RPG using the rendering technique that they used for FFT:WotL's cutscenes. Maybe they need to do a collab with ASW :D

MMaRsu

Banned
can you 2 player the demo?

Wait you cant download this from the EU store?

Does anybody have a US PS+ code I can use? FFS SONYYYYYYYY

I was already going to buy the game on release and after playing the demo I want it even more. I really wanted to play Millia Rage though!

I'm hoping they somehow get to use the driver from Reverge Labs but if not I'll have to pick up a new stick soon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really like the demo, though the VA is a bit disappointing coming from BlazBlue. I'm back and forth on Sol, but that boss girl is terrible.

Game is absolutely gorgeous, which everyone knows. I love the 3D pan around at the end of the round, and small details like Sol having a different winpose if you're in Dragon Install.

SerTapTap

Liking it other than the English dub, glad we can change that in the real game. Also the calm "heaven or hell" is driving me nuts. The JP version isn't even any better, is it? Like they could have just recycled the same ancient voice clip, it was better...

Also, it's stunning how much better Skullgirls' two voice lines per attack is than the same line every single attack thing. I'm already tired of "go to hell" and I've played as Sol for like 10 minutes.

I love Faust's entrance. Faust is awesome.

Played the demo and I'm sold 100%, I button smashed my way up to the dude with a British? Flag towel on his head and I also transformed with Sol that was really bad ass

bounchfx

to be fair we have stuff thats come somewhat close with the tales games

but personally I want to see a new megaman or megaman x on this side. side scrolla boy-ee

FluxWaveZ

A game that reminds me of Xrd's visuals is Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.
ibij5Jjq9EVJq5.gif
From the 2D sprites to 3D model transition, as well as the deliberate animation to evoke the style of the sprites of previous games.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm getting very upset that we have no clear indication of what the PS3 version is going to look/perform like. I literally have to debate with spending $700 or $60 in the span of about 24hours because of it.

Kimosabae

Banned
If I'm getting a PS4, it's going to be tomorrow, so at least I can get more value from the purchase via bundles. Outside of Xrd the only other game I want to play on PS4 is TLoU.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm getting very upset that we have no clear indication of what the PS3 version is going to look/perform like. I literally have to debate with spending $700 or $60 in the span of about 24hours because of it.

Or you could just wait a freaking day like a normal person who is unsure.

Never buy a console for one game

SerTapTap

If I'm getting a PS4, it's going to be tomorrow, so at least I can get more value from the purchase via bundles. Outside of Xrd the only other game I want to play on PS4 is TLoU.

Having even looked at the PS4 version there's basically no way the PS3 version does this without crazy subnative bullshit or majorly ruined models. Biased because I like my PS4, but I seriously doubt the PS3 version is going to be acceptable if visual quality is a factor.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I honestly can't imagine there being a huge amount of difference beyond resolution. The actual 3D textures in the maps don't look too far above BlazBlue which ran perfectly fine on last gen.

The End

Having even looked at the PS4 version there's basically no way the PS3 version does this without crazy subnative bullshit or majorly ruined models. Biased because I like my PS4, but I seriously doubt the PS3 version is going to be acceptable if visual quality is a factor.

no doubt

it'll be running at 720p with diminished texture quality and reduced effects at the very least if they want anything like a stable framerate

Top Bottom