• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So I bought a babyface pro interface a couple of days ago, today i ordered a Neve DI box (RNDI) in pursuit of excellent raw guitar files.
The DI box acts as a amp like load for the guitars pickups and outputs a line level signal. From A/B'ing done with a friends unit, the difference between going directly into the interface and going DI first is immense.

The idea is to then reamp the whole thing. So, plugging the Neve DI box between an amp and the speaker to record the raw audio from the amp (after the pre- and power amp section) and use that with speaker and mic impulse responses (digital simulation). So an anlog/digital mix.

Cant wait to try it out. Anyone ever did something like that?

Ta9quYa.jpg

just bought this beast, can't wait!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Getting a Marshall Code 50 today. Curious to see how well it works. Given the price, the speaker has to be cheap as fuck. But the modelling itself, coming from Softtube, should be good.

I wasn't sure if I wanted a cheap modelling amp for practice or if Bias FX would have been a better solution. In the end, a dedicated amp just seemed less cumbersome.

Mabufu

Banned
Well... any recommendation for a good sounding guitar for playing pop-rock by a noob?
Been only playing guitar for a year.

F34R

Great thread!!

I've been playing for 25 years, but kinda fell off 4 years ago due to an injury that has ultimately degraded my ability to play.

That being said, I still try.

Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer
Fender Strat
ESP LTD EC-1000
NEWEST CAME IN FRIDAY - ESP LTD Kirk Hammett Signature White Zombie

I've had a Digitech GNX3 board going through a Marshall MG100DFX (had them for quite a while now).

Seriously considering a new amp + board.

Every sort of guitar has been used! Pick one! If electric, the amp and pedals matter way more than you think to getting the sound you might be chasing.

Every sort of guitar has been used! Pick one! If electric, the amp and pedals matter way more than you think to getting the sound you might be chasing.
definitely agree with this. the hardware is second nature to your skill/commitment. i'd say get something that you love the look of and get it set up well, you can always change the pickups at a later date or invest in a decent amp.
the main thing is to keep yourself excited about playing!

for me, it was gettung that ibanez 8 string pictured above. do i need 8 strings? am i able to take full advantage of the extended range? doubtful.
am i now, after about a year or two of ennui, more excited than ever to pick up guitar? yes. that's what matters to me!

Just a PSA, I've done this to myself before and I never learn.

I stabbed my thumb with the end of a cut string on the tuning pegs when polishing the headstock. Make sure you cut the extra string length as close as possible to the peg. Hurt like a bitch haha.

I love vintage Fender/Kluson-style pegs that eat the end of the string for this reason. Haven't jabbed myself in a while on the others, but still.

Getting a Marshall Code 50 today. Curious to see how well it works. Given the price, the speaker has to be cheap as fuck. But the modelling itself, coming from Softtube, should be good.

I wasn't sure if I wanted a cheap modelling amp for practice or if Bias FX would have been a better solution. In the end, a dedicated amp just seemed less cumbersome.

I have a Marshall Code 25. I like it well enough. It takes some tweaking to get right. Or, rather, I don't like some of the preset sounds and want to change them, but I suspect I'm rewriting over the perfect emulation of a certain artist/song I don't immediately recognize. The phone/tablet app control is great. A universal criticism is that the noise gate is too high on all presets. I leave it higher on the metal voices, but everything else I turn it down until I start to hear feedback. Ironically, I think the Fender sounds are fantastic.

Armadilo

Banned
today i went to guitar center and missed the deal on the guitar for $60, they have a couple $100 guitars, might wait and see for another good deal show up

So, plugging the Neve DI box between an amp and the speaker to record the raw audio from the amp

Please be very careful with this, the amp to speaker output is a very high output signal and you can damage your equipment!
If you have a tube amp, also make sure never to leave it on without speakers connected.

To record your amp this way, I know of two options
1. Get a Power Attenuator (like THD Hot Plate). It has a safe line out.
2. Use the FX loop's 'send' jack to connect to your recording device. This will get just the preamp sound, bypassing the poweramp but it should be fine.

today i went to guitar center and missed the deal on the guitar for $60, they have a couple $100 guitars, might wait and see for another good deal show up

Was it the Rogue Rocketeer or the Rogue acoustic? They always have that deal for Rogues and sometimes low-end Epiphones. They're OK for "beaters" but the acoustic is just a tad more well-built than the electric (both made in China). Guitar Center's $100 deal for guitars in the $150 range is much better. I kinda like the low-end ESP LTDs. They have decent bodies and necks as a fundamental base for upgrading pickups and hardware.

They've also been pushing those Mitchells this holiday season, a new Chinese company. They feel very cheap and the wood is just, not good.

Please be very careful with this, the amp to speaker output is a very high output signal and you can damage your equipment!
If you have a tube amp, also make sure never to leave it on without speakers connected.

2. Use the FX loop's 'send' jack to connect to your recording device. This will get just the preamp sound, bypassing the poweramp but it should be fine.

The Neve DI box is designed to handle the power amp output. The overview video started twigging my audiophile buzzword allergies, but I don't doubt it does what it says on the tin.

sgjackson

I haven't practiced in months, but tonight I'm gonna get back into it. I'll have to start from scratch yet again, haha.

i had to quit for a few months this year because i pulled a muscle in my jaw and for some reason playing guitar aggravated the injury, but once i got that worked out i was back up to my previous best after about a month of remedial practice. the main thing is that it's intensely frustrating knowing you used to be better.

had a guitar lesson today. i honestly wish i'd gotten a teacher when i started. he's running me through the basics of music theory and i'm learning a lot more quickly than i feel like i would have on my own.

rObit

Banned
just bought this beast, can't wait!

Damn, nice! I'm digging the no-inlay and white binding on the body look, very sleek.

Just a PSA, I've done this to myself before and I never learn.

I stabbed my thumb with the end of a cut string on the tuning pegs when polishing the headstock. Make sure you cut the extra string length as close as possible to the peg. Hurt like a bitch haha.

Just stabbed myself yesterday changing strings. I always try to be careful yet always fuck it up somehow.

I'd like to get my guitar setup, hadn't had a setup at all since I first bought it about 9 years ago

I'm scared to get it setup, could a place like guitar center fuck it up? Or some place local, even?

EVOL 100%

Welp, my semi-hollow Mustang Jaguar monstrosity is almost done

Ovg5Ogj.jpg

Looks pretty much what I expected it to look like, although I wished the wood grain was more visible. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

Time to get those SD Antiquities and a US Jag trem..

scotcheggz

Welp, my semi-hollow Mustang Jaguar monstrosity is almost done

Ovg5Ogj.jpg

Looks pretty much what I expected it to look like, although I wished the wood grain was more visible. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

Time to get those SD Antiquities and a US Jag trem..

This looks bonkers. I love it, it's gotta be noisy as fuck. Are you putting JM pickups in it or humbuckers?

I'd like to get my guitar setup, hadn't had a setup at all since I first bought it about 9 years ago

I'm scared to get it setup, could a place like guitar center fuck it up? Or some place local, even?

I would take it to a local place or look up guitar luthiers in your area. Too many horror stories about Guitar Center setups. The "luthiers" at Guitar Center are paid an hourly wage. You have to figure that if you're a luthier worth any salt, you'd be in business yourself or running a shop.

EVOL 100%

This looks bonkers. I love it, it's gotta be noisy as fuck. Are you putting JM pickups in it or humbuckers?

Humbuckers. Figured that since I already have a Jag and JM, and never really played a guitar with nice humbuckers instead of cheap overly hot pickups in it before, it'd be a nice change of pace.

I asked for a pickguard cut for P90s as well, just in case things go south and it turns out that I really don't like humbuckers after all

F34R

Here's the KH sig White Zombie guitar I just picked up. I LUVS HER!!

.. and here is her sister, my ESP LTD EC-1000:

Here's the KH sig White Zombie guitar I just picked up. I LUVS HER!!

.. and here is her sister, my ESP LTD EC-1000:

Nice man, my favorite guitar I own is my Viper 1000. The deluxe series guitars are so nice, but they dont make the viper deluxe with the same finish mine has anymore(see thru black).

Humbuckers. Figured that since I already have a Jag and JM, and never really played a guitar with nice humbuckers instead of cheap overly hot pickups in it before, it'd be a nice change of pace.

Do you pickups picked out? If not, I'd heartily recommend HighOrder pickups. Got him to wind me a low-output set a decade ago. Found him based on a recommendation on another forum.

F34R

Nice man, my favorite guitar I own is my Viper 1000. The deluxe series guitars are so nice, but they dont make the viper deluxe with the same finish mine has anymore(see thru black).

Very nice F34R! Those EMGs look sweet! I didn't know Kirk had a guitar like that.

Thanks. It plays really well, although I don't (anymore lol). I hope I can progress, but this thing along, just sitting in the case, looks amazing lol.

EVOL 100%

Do you pickups picked out? If not, I'd heartily recommend HighOrder pickups. Got him to wind me a low-output set a decade ago. Found him based on a recommendation on another forum.

Not yet, I was thinking of getting SD Antiquities because the descriptions I've heard of them were very much what I was looking for - open and airy with a tight bottom. The Youtube clips weren't bad too.

I'll definitely check that site out though, thanks.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I found that for beginners like me to lead guitar, Sleep Walk is such a fun song to learn and not very tricky. It sounds really haunting with the right amp effect.

Not yet, I was thinking of getting SD Antiquities because the descriptions I've heard of them were very much what I was looking for - open and airy with a tight bottom. The Youtube clips weren't bad too.

Haven't tried them but I just love low output humbuckers. The custom ones I have are AlNiCo 5 in the neck and 2 in the bridge.

I found that for beginners like me to lead guitar, Sleep Walk is such a fun song to learn and not very tricky. It sounds really haunting with the right amp effect.

You might like to check out a guitarist named James Wilsey who plays bunch of stuff in that vein.

Here's me playing a cool keyboard solo adapted to guitar. "Slightly Out of Reach" by James LaBrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=votziHFlACc

I use Avid Eleven Rack for all my tones. I think this was some blend of the vintage Mesa Boogie tone with a Tube Screamer or something along those lines. The guitar is an early 00's Highway One American Tele.

And yes I know I have an awful habit of holding the pick with my middle finger...I'll never know how that happened Lol very unconscious thing as far as whether my index, middle, or both holds the pick.

Here's me playing a cool keyboard solo adapted to guitar. "Slightly Out of Reach" by James LaBrie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=votziHFlACc

I use Avid Eleven Rack for all my tones. I think this was some blend of the vintage Mesa Boogie tone with a Tube Screamer or something along those lines. The guitar is an early 00's Highway One American Tele.

And yes I know I have an awful habit of holding the pick with my middle finger...I'll never know how that happened Lol very unconscious thing as far as whether my index, middle, or both holds the pick.

Dude, very nice man! I subbed. Especially since you also play Pagan's Mind!

Yeah I have a weird quirk too. Every time I hold a barre chord it looks like I'm giving the middle finger. My old bass player used to say "Stop flipping me off!"

Here's me playing Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight. I cover mostly 80s hard rock/metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBgSC4Su1Mo

scotcheggz

Dude, very nice man! I subbed. Especially since you also play Pagan's Mind!

Yeah I have a weird quirk too. Every time I hold a barre chord it looks like I'm giving the middle finger. My old bass player used to say "Stop flipping me off!"

Here's me playing Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight. I cover mostly 80s hard rock/metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBgSC4Su1Mo

I do this! This photo is from an old gig, inconvenient timing...

38P8xzD.jpg

FuuRe

Being a self taught guitarist (Nylon acoustic) for 20 years and I just learned something new, like a week ago.

All this time thinking all I needed were (reasonably) long nails on the strumming hand.

Boy was I wrong... long nails are needed for sure, but without a proper shape and polish they are kinda useless in terms of speed and tone.

Two thing are meant to be done to the nails:

1) Shape must be made in order for the string to slide off the nail, something like this:

images

2) All nails must be polished with fine grain sandpaper and tools to get them to feel like they're made from glass

Your nails finally should look somewhat similar to this:

fingernails-close.jpg

All these years playing with rounded nails actually feel like wasted time but hey, I least I found out about this before dying.

NEO0MJ

When you're restringing your guitar and you snap the e string and have to open a whole new pack...fuuuuuu

Was it the e string? Those things are evil.

Being a self taught guitarist (Nylon acoustic) for 20 years and I just learned something new, like a week ago.

All this time thinking all I needed were (reasonably) long nails on the strumming hand.

Boy was I wrong... long nails are needed for sure, but without a proper shape and polish they are kinda useless in terms of speed and tone.

I thought it was recommended to keep nails short? Unless that's only for the fret hand?

Also, isn't it uncomfortable to strum with your hand? Unless it's significantly different for a nylon string.

FuuRe

I thought it was recommended to keep nails short? Unless that's only for the fret hand?

Also, isn't it uncomfortable to strum with your hand? Unless it's significantly different for a nylon string.

Yeah, only on your fret hand.

If you play classical, flamenco or similar styles you need long (and well groomed) fingernails

Also, isn't it uncomfortable to strum with your hand?

Not if you do it right.

I play finger style all of the time when I play steel string acoustic and 70-90% of the time when playing electric. Strum downwards with the back of your fingernail(s) or flesh of your thumb and upwards with the back of your thumbnail or flesh of your fingers. You need to keep your picking nails short so you don't catch the nail on the string.

You can pick steels tring like FuuRe describes but from things I've read from people who do it, they typically paint their nails with superglue so that they have the strength for it. This is why fingerpicks exist&#8212; to enable this style of playing on steel string instruments like guitar and banjo.

Sorry to post a bass in Guitar GAF, but I just scored this practically brand new Tobias Tony Deluxe IV Walnut Satin bass for $80 on craigslist! He had it up for $100 but I told him I could meet him now if he would take $80. The whole affair took 20 minutes! lol!
The guy gave me a bag of picks, a gig bag and a Korg pedal tuner as well. Holy shit! It's the best 80 bucks I've ever spent in my life! The Tony is not bad at all for a budget bass but wow I feel like I practically mugged the guy. He just said he doesn't play bass anymore. So folks, keep scouring your local craigslist!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

This DI box is made to withstand 1000W of power amp, of course i need to connect my speakers (load for the amp). The device is made specifically for that feature :D

Some people might enjoy this: Joe Bonamassa being a nerd.

Thanks that was great. Interesting perspective on collecting vintage guitars, especially when you're a successful musician like Joe. Plus he's a student of guitar history so of course he's a Fender and Gibson collector! And he's one of the few guitarists alive who can play each and everyone of those guitars the way they should be played! His house is insane!

EVOL 100%

Oh bugger all. The company making my guitar said that they're not going to install the bridge posts because apparently 'the hole we drill will not match your bridge perfectly', when all I asked for was a straight bridge alignment instead of a slanted alignment.

Sounds like bullshit to me but I'm done haggling with them. I'll just do it myself or get a luthier to do it for me. You get what you pay for.

They did send me a couple of more pics though.

gjKk86r.jpg

Fingers crossed that I'm not just getting a nice looking plank of wood..

Top Bottom