• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Guitar Hero Live" Announced

Does nobody realise that the first-person angle is most likely for the new VR platforms?

Imagine four of you standing in your room with VR headsets on, playing instruments in front of a big crowd.

New level of immersion in 'live' music, yadda yadda.

I don't like these games too much, but that prospect is interesting.

Nothing can render to four VR headsets. You could do single player or online multiplayer VR only. Or local with one person in VR, the rest on screen.

VR is a pretty terrible idea for music games IMO. The idea of standing in a VR music arena is nice and all, but where does one fit the actual interface of the game? The notes will literally come flying at your face.

You could have the notes coming down on a 2D plane in front of you. Either way, it would kinda ruin the whole point of VR -- to feel like you're performing in front of a crowd, if there's a giant note track ruining your view. Could work for the singer though.

Accoun

There was always a part of me that was disappointed with the move to master tracks instead of covers, I always liked to think of covers of covers being tradition across Harmonix's guitar games.

My friend used to say he preferred covers because it felt more like you're playing in a band if you don't hear the original version instead of let's say, playing to a mp3 with master tracks.

FyreWulff

There was always a part of me that was disappointed with the move to master tracks instead of covers, I always liked to think of covers of covers being tradition across Harmonix's guitar games.

Of course, the pros massively outweigh the cons for actual recordings, but that, plus the additional solos that some songs added were always great.

Yeah, where it wasn't otherwise possible to get a song I didn't mind a cover as long as it was good. I can understand why they went to masters/re-record/live only, because it gives off a more premium feel / slightly easier to handle the rights, but still.

I actually find re-records like the Styx tracks more annoying because even though it's technically the actual band, I'd rather have someone trying to sound like the original singer instead of a different singer entirely.

edit: also the Love Hurts re-record for Rock Band ohdeargod.gif

Train Kept a' Rollin' in RB1 is hilarious because of what happened when you tried to turn the vocals down. All hail Fake Steven Tyler.

YI-KIKIKIYI

0racle

As someone who started to learn guitar and have been playing modestly for about 2 years I have got to admit...

the rendition of the UI and button placements may seem alien to most people but in terms of mimicking chord shapes I can see it working out well. It will add a layer of difficulty thats for sure, but it will "feel" even more like your playing.

I would even argue it may help with hand dexterity and muscle formation for when your ready to move onto rocksmith or practice on your own.

furthermore, it seems that can VERY EASILY make it play like the guitar hero we all know so dont sweat it.

Oppo

they should painstakingly recreate famous shows and let you do drugs before you go on

i actually really love this.

doing rails off the guitar neck
first person drinking and puking
fully destructible hotel room post-show
groupie minigame
customize your coke nail and herpes scars in the powerful character creator

add an Awards Show level to crash as DLC

As someone who started to learn guitar and have been playing modestly for about 2 years I have got to admit...

the rendition of the UI and button placements may seem alien to most people but in terms of mimicking chord shapes I can see it working out well. It will add a layer of difficulty thats for sure, but it will "feel" even more like your playing.

I would even argue it may help with hand dexterity and muscle formation for when your ready to move onto rocksmith or practice on your own.

furthermore, it seems that can VERY EASILY make it play like the guitar hero we all know so dont sweat it.

but if i wanted to play a real guitar i'd play rocksmith. i didn't play ddr to show off at the club

Interesting ideas, I'll hold judgement until we know more/see it in action.

If it looks bad, no problem, Rock Band this year anyway!

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I can imagine it being top down first person so you're looking at your guitar, but I expect your head to look up frequently.

Alrighty, info I getting from my systems at work(GameStop):
One Sku: $99.99 (game and guitar)
It's on PS4, PS3, XB1, 360 and Wii U.

Looks like my theory is way off. Good news is thought that two games ate probably gonna be announced soon

CloudWolf

i actually really love this.

doing rails off the guitar neck
first person drinking and puking
fully destructible hotel room post-show
groupie minigame
customize your coke nail and herpes scars in the powerful character creator

add an Awards Show level to crash as DLC
Guitar Hero: The Who, experience the thrill of buying new instruments after every show and spending nights in hospitals because your drummer took horse tranquillizers and/or tried to blow up the band.

Ridley327

Yeah, where it wasn't otherwise possible to get a song I didn't mind a cover as long as it was good. I can understand why they went to masters/re-record/live only, because it gives off a more premium feel / slightly easier to handle the rights, but still.

I actually find re-records like the Styx tracks more annoying because even though it's technically the actual band, I'd rather have someone trying to sound like the original singer instead of a different singer entirely.

YI-KIKIKIYI

The weird thing about the Styx songs is that the lead vocals on those were done by the same guy that sang them in the first place (Tommy Shaw). Either he was just not interested in anything other than the paycheck, or Dennis DeYoung added a lot more with the backing vocals than anyone ever thought.

The worst cover for me was the re-recording for Hair of the Dog. Holy shit.

0racle

but if i wanted to play a real guitar i'd play rocksmith. i didn't play ddr to show off at the club

I dont think your seeing my point. Im simply stating that this gives more options for the old fans and new comers alike ( using a 3 button set-up ) as well as more advanced players that used guitar hero as a stepping stone and now are playing actual instruments. I can still go back and enjoy the game like back in the day but with some added challenge over the been there done that original button setup.

Options are not a bad thing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The 12 buttons idea sounds super complicated to perform and read on, assuming I'm imagining it right.

I imagine it like this

UUUUUU
UUUUUU

Freestyle Games is an amazing developer, I'm not worried. Both DJ Hero games played great.

I just wonder how much of the DJ Hero team is still there though you know? Its not like they've been working on this since DJ Hero 2, so I'm sure a lot of people either left or were let go

Zalman

my guess

Z4mvGcyl.png
If this is how it turns out to be, then it looks like you only have to use three fingers to play. That seems boring.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Agreed. Stacking buttons seems like a good idea for this genre.

I don't agree with the idea of helping hand dexterity or muscle formation though. These games are their own thing. Nobody buys them to practice playing something before they actually play it. A really good way to build hand dexterity and hand muscle strength in order to play guitar is just to play the guitar.

I feel the same about those stupid hand exercise contraptions you see advertised in the back of guitar mags.

I'm not sure of what to think, or whether I'm going to bite the bullet and spend $200 on both music games, let alone buy one. I don't game with friends much and rarely play music games anymore.

This is an interesting approach, but it doesn't sound as interesting and makes the game sound more difficult.

The 12 buttons idea sounds super complicated to perform and read on, assuming I'm imagining it right.

I imagine it like this

UUUUUU
UUUUUU

I just wonder how much of the DJ Hero team is still there though you know? Its not like they've been working on this since DJ Hero 2, so I'm sure a lot of people either left or were let go

True, I assumed the team was dead until today. The staff has probably changed quite a bit.

Ridley327

Looks like my theory is way off. Good news is thought that two games ate probably gonna be announced soon

The Guitar Hero audience was really big on Wii, so it's good to see that Activision recognized that. It's not going to explode the series the same way, but there were a lot of loyalists on that platform last gen.

Zalman

The Guitar Hero audience was really big on Wii, so it's good to see that Activision recognized that. It's not going to explode the series the same way, but there were a lot of loyalists on that platform last gen.
If I remember correctly, the Wii version of GH3 was by far the best-selling one, so I think they should put it on Wii U.

Regiruler

Wii U version makes sense considering it's in line with the more casual output that acti still brings to the system.

That and the wii versions sold a metric fuckton. If they get even a fraction of that they'll be happy.

I'd understand if you had said guitar/band games but music games in general? They've always been niche. DDR, Rock Band, Guitar Hero; they all have had their time in the limelight and enjoyed mainstream appeal for a few years. Just because the genre has titles with waxing and waning popularity does not mean that the genre is dead.

Amplitude's Kickstarter succeeding, even just barely, is a testament to that.

That's a good point, lol. I guess I did mean guitar games. I just posted about my excitement for Taiko Vita earlier today.

Ridley327

If I remember correctly, the Wii version of GH3 was by far the best-selling one, so I think they should put it on Wii U.

IIRC, I think it would have placed in the top 10 overall sellers on the Wii. Given what's on the top of that list, that's no small feat.

First person mode could be interesting, but I'm a little concerned about the three rows of frets. Not sure how well that will work, but I'll give it a try.

Least it's coming out on Wii U unlike Rock band 4. That'll be good for Wii U rockers let down by that.

A first-person display based Guitar Hero? Next you'd be telling me that the next Tony Hawk game will use a motion control-based skateboohrightthatdidhappen.

Maybe a music-based game that uses a FP approach might have some merit once we see it in action, but from the sounds of things they're better off making this an entirely new IP, rather than slapping the GH brand name onto what sounds like a very experimental --if not outright gimmicky-- game.

jond76

Banned
The only reason this interests me is that details on Rock Band 4 can't be far behind. Right, Harmonix? Riiiiiiight?

FyreWulff

The weird thing about the Styx songs is that the lead vocals on those were done by the same guy that sang them in the first place (Tommy Shaw). Either he was just not interested in anything other than the paycheck, or Dennis DeYoung added a lot more with the backing vocals than anyone ever thought.

The worst cover for me was the re-recording for Hair of the Dog. Holy shit.

Oh god Hair of the Dog, forgot to mention that one

sounds like the backing guys are singing "son of a bitch? what time is it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHet4j3Alo

Ridley327

Wait, it's live action? Why do I get the feeling that this might be a money saving move.

There's no way it's not. Just Dance makes so much bank by doing FMV footage capture versus doing actual mo-cap.

That controller looks real nice, though!

Sometimes the re-recordings turn out really well. I loved the Aerosmith and Motorhead ones, and we can't forget about Living Colour and Cult of Personality. On the other hand though, the Sex Pistols ones weren't so hot.

What surprised me is how many there are. In the Meantime by Spacehog is a great song, and the re-recording in Guitar Hero 5 is incredibly true to the original, but did it really need to be done when the original tracks are there for the taking, as Rock Band 3 proves.

Top Bottom