• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Bro did a great job with his Zeong. Finger fences for days.

For some reason at the moment the Zeong is the one unit that I have the most trouble fighting against. Am pretty sure its due to me not having down my mobility so Im getting nailed trying to dodge.

Perhaps they're already planning a Premium Dogfight for Gundam Versus as well next year.

A what?

Anyway i really enjoyed watching the EVO sidetourney stream, despite not playing one of these games before. And i'm hyped for september and was hoping to just see more of it.

EVO Japan seemed like an obvious good fit if they wanted to get more western eyes on the franchise.

A what?

Anyway i really enjoyed watching the EVO sidetourney stream, despite not playing one of these games before. And i'm hyped for september and was hoping to just see more of it.

EVO Japan seemed like an obvious good fit if they wanted to get more western eyes on the franchise.
Premium Dogfight is the premier national tournament specifically for the VS series for the past couple of years in Japan. They just held one for the last version (Maxi Boost ON) last weekend as well: https://youtu.be/0RTDF5sYC48

Shouta

a Premium Dogfight for PS4 Gundam Versus would be pretty great. They need to add the Lan option though. -_-

Still could have a side tournament!

FA ZZ is kind of my go to lately but Thunderbolt comes into mind every so often. His swarms almost never hit, so I assume that's to finish people off, right? I don't know how to play that suit at all.

Went back to GP02. After using The O to lock dudes down he's more enjoyable than before! The missiles let me go mid to fairly long range, and he still has decent damage off his melee. It's harder to aim the nuke, sure, but it feels like it recharges faster than before. Sword throw is so good too. I'm a believer now.

Still a boon to my team but I'll be better once I get this stick. Y'all better get ready.

DunpealD

Went back to GP02. After using The O to lock dudes down he's more enjoyable than before! The missiles let me go mid to fairly long range, and he still has decent damage off his melee. It's harder to aim the nuke, sure, but it feels like it recharges faster than before. Sword throw is so good too. I'm a believer now.

Still a boon to my team but I'll be better once I get this stick. Y'all better get ready.

Glad I could help you. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I really like it's new csA, the mini nuke reminds me a little bit of Spiegel Gundams.

Glad I could help you. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I really like it's new csA, the mini nuke reminds me a little bit of Spiegel Gundams.

It's so hard to charge on a pad, but once I get my stick tomorrow I'll be back in the game.

The Striker system is gonna make me pretty ridiculous if, say, I get a knock down and rely on general spacing to land the full nuke (or even the mini one).

DunpealD

It's so hard to charge on a pad, but once I get my stick tomorrow I'll be back in the game.

The Striker system is gonna make me pretty ridiculous if, say, I get a knock down and rely on general spacing to land the full nuke (or even the mini one).

Personally, charge attacks are only a matter of changing the button configurations. I usually put the melee on R1 so I can access it while shooting and jumping. Some go a step further and put both(melee and shooting) on shoulder buttons.

JKTrix

Main buttons on trigger is actually recommended. Ideally you want to have an exclusive finger for each main button (shoot, melee, jump/boost). Will really open up your play options. This is probably the bigger advantage that using an arcade stick has in this game since there aren't any complicated directional inputs.

This was a pad config I saw being retweeted among Japanese players when the game launched.
DL5AYDj.png

Shoot on R1, Melee on L1, Sub on Square, Striker in Triangle, everything else default.
When I use a pad I've been using this, though I'm probably going to swap L2 and R2. Kind of makes sense to have 'shoot' buttons on the same side and 'melee' buttons on the same side. By default (and in this image) they're a little mixed up.

Xater

Is there like an early tier list somewhere? I'm just curious where people think some of my favorites are right now.

Personally, charge attacks are only a matter of changing the button configurations. I usually put the melee on R1 so I can access it while shooting and jumping. Some go a step further and put both(melee and shooting) on shoulder buttons.

Now that I finally got my stick things are a lot better. Decided against using the shortcuts and I'm just using shit like ab instead of hitting r1. If anything it's forcing me to learn the suits a little more.

NEO0MJ

So I heard in another thread that fan reception to this game wasn't that great. What makes it different from the games before it?

So I heard in another thread that fan reception to this game wasn't that great. What makes it different from the games before it?

You can't really trust JP Amazon reviews imo as its usually full of trolls. There are a few legitimate complaints but most of it is blown out of proportion.

The only real negatives are that it's missing some key series (G Gundam, Gundam X to name a few) and less compelling single player content.

I've seen some people on this forum cite the removal of local split-screen but I really don't think many JP users care about that. It was kinda useless in the previous entries anyway.

I get why the local splitscreen thing would be a turn off though. Like, it'd vastly cut down on setups and cooping some single player modes would be fun. I wish they would have scaled down the graphics, kept it 60FPS and split the screen, but it is what it is.

Bebpo

Banned
I've seen some people on this forum cite the removal of local split-screen but I really don't think many JP users care about that. It was kinda useless in the previous entries anyway.

I'd think in Japan split-screen would be a bigger deal than the west. Online isn't that huge and LAN is lolz since no one is going to bring their console. But go over to a friend's place and play split-screen against each other? Or 2p vs. online players? Idk, I'd think that would be used fairly often in Japan.

I'd think in Japan split-screen would be a bigger deal than the west. Online isn't that huge and LAN is lolz since no one is going to bring their console. But go over to a friend's place and play split-screen against each other? Or 2p vs. online players? Idk, I'd think that would be used fairly often in Japan.

It depends I guess, but in my experience the tiny apartment sizes here mean people rarely invite friends over to their place, for any reason.
I guess I have been to a few dinner parties and such but those were usually people with families and houses.
Most social gatherings are done in bars or other places, especially among younger people.

I don't think that has anything to do with that though, and has more to do with the fact that the mode honestly didn't run that well.
It might have been better in Full Boost (I never played that split-screen) but it was borderline unplayable when my brother and I tried it in the EX VS.

Bebpo

Banned
I had zero luck with the 08th team units. I feel like no one stands in place long enough for long range artillery weapons to hit. I find beam stuff like Freedom seems to do a lot better. And obviously melee units do well if you're good at the melee game (I'm not, so I keep my distance).

It depends I guess, but in my experience the tiny apartment sizes here mean people rarely invite friends over to their place, for any reason.
I guess I have been to a few dinner parties and such but those were usually people with families and houses.
Most social gatherings are done in bars or other places, especially among younger people.

I don't think that has anything to do with that though, and has more to do with the fact that the mode honestly didn't run that well.
It might have been better in Full Boost (I never played that split-screen) but it was borderline unplayable when my brother and I tried it in the EX VS.

Makes sense.

ranmafan

I have to agree. Meeting up at people's places here to play games does happen at times but not as often as it would back in the west. Especially if you are dealing with small apartments, college dorms (which make small Japanese apartments feel like huge western style mansions in comparions) or anything similar. Plus you'll be dealing with small Tvs in such places that make split screen just not a fun thing to deal with. And most people that have the space for such a meeting probably aren't going to be too much into games at that time.

Honestly online is perfect for gamers here. It works great and is more popular in Japan than I think many give it credit for. But honestly the best setup for multiplayer game parties here, especially for younger gamers, is the portable option. Especially kids, high schoolers, and young adults tend to meet up somewhere nice and bring their vitas or 3ds (I've yet to see anyone with a switch yet in public in japan but that will be an option soon too once people can actually get one easily) and play anywhere. You'll see people playing monster hunter and what not all over the place. That honestly would be the best solution to the get together and play situation for this game for friends. Just a shame that the vita game was such a huge disappointment. Had that worked out better it would've been great for fans of the series.

Split screen would be a nice option if they could make it work well, but really online is great. They just need to tweak it and make it better experience.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I didn't even notice Bound Doc wasn't in the game already since it's kinda an iconic grunt. Is Palace Athene in the game yet? I don't even remember since there's like 7 Zeta Grunts in. That and Bound Doc were always the iconic non-main mecha to me. Bolinoak Sammahn too.

Next week with the update at the earliest.

Cool. Should be a fun unit.

I haven't won a single match in the past two days with GP02A. I have all these tools but I'm at a loss at how to implement them better.

I haven't won a single match in the past two days with GP02A. I have all these tools but I'm at a loss at how to implement them better.

GP02 sucks. The sub and main csA don't make up for the super armor and assist loss. The nuke is still good but with how maps are designed. Good luck getting them to hit. Good vs shuffle fools though.

GP02 really doesn't deserve the 400 cost. Also they made its melee moves more difficult and annoying to use, no idea why they would do that.

Bebpo

Banned
I feel like every big slow unit is kinda sucky in this one because especially with ground landing cancel, everyone is always moving.

I can't figure out how to consistently dodge funnel attacks.

My experience from shooting funnels out and not dodging them, is that funnels seem to fly out, pause, then fire. So to dodge them it would seem like you wanna wait until the funnels fly out to you, then a second later take off when they fire.

Hoping he gets a buff or something, or maybe a cost nerf. I seriously can't find a way to land the nuke. Even with the strikers, none of them lock down people long enough.

I feel like all he needs is a better trajectory alongside a cost reduction.

Dropping him to go mindless with Turn X

Shouta

GP02's ranged tools would be better if the correction on ranged weapons wasn't worse, or at least not good enough relative to the mobility gain from boost dive. Attacks that are slow to come out fare much worse in this because of it. It's a smaller part of the reason why melee suits can get in hard and fast.

That said, GP02's charged 2B is pretty nice though. It's a serious improvement over his old beam saber toss, at least if I remember it correctly.

GP02's ranged tools would be better if the correction on ranged weapons wasn't worse, or at least not good enough relative to the mobility gain from boost dive. Attacks that are slow to come out fare much worse in this because of it. It's a smaller part of the reason why melee suits can get in hard and fast.

That said, GP02's charged 2B is pretty nice though. It's a serious improvement over his old beam saber toss, at least if I remember it correctly.

the 2B is totally different. In previous versions it worked like F91's shield throw where it would just create a slow moving projectile that explodes on contact. It might have worked better as a defensive tool because of faster startup.

Also correction really wouldn't do anything for GP02. Vulcans are a very slow moving projectile that have somewhat ok tracking at range, but they are very slow and fairly useless. The sub has no correction and because of the way projectiles spawn won't actually hit anything close, they need to travel long enough for tracking to correct their path towards the target. The beam saber toss could effectively be it's main now, you can only boost dash cancel it, you can have more than one on screen at a time, and the target gets knocked down after three hits.

Top Bottom