• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

Shouta

the 2B is totally different. In previous versions it worked like F91's shield throw where it would just create a slow moving projectile that explodes on contact. It might have worked better as a defensive tool because of faster startup.

Also correction really wouldn't do anything for GP02. Vulcans are a very slow moving projectile that have somewhat ok tracking at range, but they are very slow and fairly useless. The sub has no correction and because of the way projectiles spawn won't actually hit anything close, they need to travel long enough for tracking to correct their path towards the target. The beam saber toss could effectively be it's main now, you can only boost dash cancel it, you can have more than one on screen at a time, and the target gets knocked down after three hits.

Vulcans already correct themselves but yeah, it being slow moving, bullets make them scratch damage at best.

Missiles do have quite a bit of tracking on them but considering the distance where it kicks in, the range and angles you can use it are pretty limited. It's a niche weapon from the start anyway though. It's supposed to be a tool GP02 can use at the edge of his red lock to catch folks dancing out there but it just isn't reliable enough right now. A tiny bit of correction so it's easier for the missiles catch folks moving perpendicular to GP02 would give him a little oomph without being too strong.

At medium ranges the 2B and his CSa are the go-tos. 2B is fine as it is though getting destroyed because it's a projectile really sucks. CSa doesn't have any correction either as far as I can tell, so even the slightest left and right movement means you'll miss with the beam part and you have to rely on the explosion part for any damage. That's rough. A little bit of correction would be nice if only to make it easier to catch mistakes.

The alternative is to make the start up and the projectile speeds a little faster but I think that would probably be a bit more problematic for what the intended goal is. GP02 is in the middle towards the lower half of the pack for 400 costs right now, at least going by exvsrank, so it doesn't need super crazy stuff as much as it needs a few tweaks to make its life easier.

Bebpo

Banned
Been getting some wins lately with the 2 Missing Link units (purple one more). Was playing G Generations and got to the Missing Link storyline so now I'm using the units. The Zeon team has a really good BGM.

But yeah, I'm finding any unit with a curved instant dash like Barbatos (non-Lupus) or Missing Link Geog are killer in this game because you either catch up behind a running away guy by dashing -> instant dash move -> melee combo, or you dodge a weapon attack, instant curved dash around their side -> melee combo.

Luigi87

Supposed August DLC units:

k6xMylel.png

That blog has been on point for EXVS stuff prior.

Well officially confirmed now.

Vulcans already correct themselves but yeah, it being slow moving, bullets make them scratch damage at best.

Missiles do have quite a bit of tracking on them but considering the distance where it kicks in, the range and angles you can use it are pretty limited. It's a niche weapon from the start anyway though. It's supposed to be a tool GP02 can use at the edge of his red lock to catch folks dancing out there but it just isn't reliable enough right now. A tiny bit of correction so it's easier for the missiles catch folks moving perpendicular to GP02 would give him a little oomph without being too strong.

At medium ranges the 2B and his CSa are the go-tos. 2B is fine as it is though getting destroyed because it's a projectile really sucks. CSa doesn't have any correction either as far as I can tell, so even the slightest left and right movement means you'll miss with the beam part and you have to rely on the explosion part for any damage. That's rough. A little bit of correction would be nice if only to make it easier to catch mistakes.

The alternative is to make the start up and the projectile speeds a little faster but I think that would probably be a bit more problematic for what the intended goal is. GP02 is in the middle towards the lower half of the pack for 400 costs right now, at least going by exvsrank, so it doesn't need super crazy stuff as much as it needs a few tweaks to make its life easier.

Yeah, like I'm not asking for his weaponry to just get stronger. I just want it to land. I'm shit, but it takes someone actively walking into the nuke for it to land. And my setups miss because most of my attacks miss. It's my favorite suit, but I have to put it down until they change it.

MechaX

Good timing on that balance patch, this Thursday is when my copy is expected to arrive so I can finally dive in.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, if they release $30 of DLC a month for even a year...$360+$90 base game = $450 in the first year...yeah, that is a lot of money. Was hoping the units would be 400yen each, not 600yen.

I'll probably pick up the first set of units, but If it's 5 grunts a month I'm gonna start being choosey and just get the big units like Justice and skip most grunts.

muteki

I will probably just pick up any units they add for Z and ZZ, or Sentinel would be nice.

My wallet will probably be ok.

That's real gross. I hope they put in a system where people can earn them. I'd be willing to spend money on suits that are sick but man I can't be buying every little thing that drops. Like, I want to, but that's too big of an investment.

MechaX

I want to say that there was kind of a system like that in Full Boost (or there was a way to test out some DLC suits).

With the all the grunts in this one, you would be better served just picking up your favorites (as it is possible that everyone will be included if there is another version)

DunpealD

That's real gross. I hope they put in a system where people can earn them. I'd be willing to spend money on suits that are sick but man I can't be buying every little thing that drops. Like, I want to, but that's too big of an investment.

Imagine having to run 4 setups with all DLC in a tournament. You'd have to at least buy them twice.

Bebpo

Banned
I want to say that there was kind of a system like that in Full Boost (or there was a way to test out some DLC suits).

With the all the grunts in this one, you would be better served just picking up your favorites (as it is possible that everyone will be included if there is another version)

Yeah, 5 units x 12 = 60 new playable units for...$360.
Gundam Versus sequel = probably at least 60 new playable units for 8000yen or less.

OR

How about this? Every year or 2 they release an "expansion" which contains new series entries, maybe new SP modes, but they share DLC like Rock Band and the DLC is used to fill out the series rosters further with more units. So like the expansion wouldn't include any of these DLC units, but would have like 30-40 new units across 6-8 new series with 5-8 units per series.

Like that sorta makes sense and creates a unified platform, but good luck with tournament play.

Bebpo

Banned
Update is live. According to GFaqs no changes were made to hot scramble?

Lol

I fought one the other day and he completely wiped our party in a way no other unit has. I don't really get their push to include Hot Scramble Gundam as a broken pre-order incentive in every Gundam related games these days.

MechaX

Alright, game finally made it to my house.

I hope I didn't miss too much Gundam-GAF shenanigans.

Edit: Holy hell I can see what you guys were talking about with Hot Scramble. Still messing around with it, but the funnels operate as way better Kshatriya fences, I honestly was not expecting the CSa to explode on top of gerobi, the shot gun move looks like it can be a hella good and fast "fuck off" move, it has Harry's I-Field spread, and it even has an MA mode with a WZC like beam and a really fast dash melee.

Shouta

Do you have to download it and lupus from the psn store? I checked earlier in the tab under the game but maybe I had to go to the store proper.

Yeah, I think you need to go to the store to purchase them or download Virtue for free if you got him for free. Or at least, you need to hit the DLC option in the main menu from a JP account because I think doing it from a US account doesn't work.

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, Virtue is really good (though not sure if Nadeleh form is worth anything). Just blew through a trial mode with SSS rank. His L2 GIANT BEAM CANNON with 2 shots that replenshes quick is ridiculously good and you can always dash out of it. His normal shot is great and strong and his left/right melee mini-shots are good along with his L1 dual shot for incoming melee attackers. His burst attack is also really good too.

Seems impressive for a 300 cost unit. I swear the DLC units are getting more care put into making them strong than the main units. Will be interesting to see if the August pay DLC units are all super good.

Struggling to find a new main. GP02A was perfect but making it work is painful af.

Turn X is alright but he just doesn't feel as fun. Plus I'm not good at movement right now so the melee game is pretty awful. FA ZZ can be fun, but the armor switching gimmick gets old. Dom is still pretty fun but man you gotta have someone fairly decent to get things going sometimes. Or maybe I just suck I don't know.

Guess I'll random select in some casual matches and see what else I like. Too many choices.

Luigi87

Seems impressive for a 300 cost unit. I swear the DLC units are getting more care put into making them strong than the main units. Will be interesting to see if the August pay DLC units are all super good.

That's my biggest concern. I feel if that does come to be, then the game will absolutely suffer, particularly outside of Japan.

MechaX

I honestly would have preferred Seravee, since it's my favorite 00 suit bar none except maybe 00 Seven Sword (and Tieria is my favorite pilot out of the bunch, but that is neither here nor there), but we're getting there.

I like how Nadleeh is a much more complete unit than how it was in GvG Next (where I don't even think 00 S1 finished airing by the time it came out).

I think I'll stick with Virtue for a bit.

Bebpo

Banned
I honestly would have preferred Seravee, since it's my favorite 00 suit bar none except maybe 00 Seven Sword (and Tieria is my favorite pilot out of the bunch, but that is neither here nor there), but we're getting there.

I like how Nadleeh is a much more complete unit than how it was in GvG Next (where I don't even think 00 S1 finished airing by the time it came out).

I think I'll stick with Virtue for a bit.

Nadleeh is weird. Only used it once but it hardly seems to gain anything useful for all the good moves it loses. It would make sense if it was more like Exia repair, but to switch to it, I couldn't find a use in the one time I tried it. Even the melee is pretty slow with it.

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone been able to get into a ranked match? I haven't. Can still get into casual matches no problem. Is it just no one playing ranked, or that no one wants to team up with a random person in a ranked match because they could suck and cause them a loss?

Bebpo

Banned
Whoops, forgot to take the region lock off. Now ranked match works fine.

So I looked at the leaderboards and they were nothing but FAZZ and Hot Scramble and I did a bunch of ranked matches and there's always a FAZZ.
It's kinda funny because in non-ranked matches right now EVERYONE IS VIRTUE; there's literally a Virtue Gundam in every match online haha. I don't mind because it's easy to dodge around the big gun and counter.

Also, while I might be critical of some of the areas of the game (SP is basically worthless), after I moved on to MP-only, I enjoy the game quite a bit. Usually play a few matches every time I turn on the PS4 for something else. Had a lot of memorable moments and awesome saves. Also had a bunch of times getting wrecked by pro players running circles around me >< It really feels like having the arcade machine at home, so it's pretty cool. I think a big part of that is how active the community is so auto-matching finds matches in seconds for 2v2 or 3v3. As long as the community stays alive I can see myself playing a few matches a day for years basically. And coming from someone who does.not.MP.game.at.all, that's pretty good to get me to keep playing, but it's fun. My worst experiences were all playing the SP. Definitely would recommend avoiding all the SP modes and just playing online only treating it like an arcade machine.

I feel whether the game is worth the money comes down to how many matches you play online. Figure the arcade machine is like $1/match, once you've got like 100+ matches it's worth the money. I'm at like 50 online matches so far.

DunpealD

Whoops, forgot to take the region lock off. Now ranked match works fine.

So I looked at the leaderboards and they were nothing but FAZZ and Hot Scramble and I did a bunch of ranked matches and there's always a FAZZ.
It's kinda funny because in non-ranked matches right now EVERYONE IS VIRTUE; there's literally a Virtue Gundam in every match online haha. I don't mind because it's easy to dodge around the big gun and counter.

I think it's no secret that people like to win, thus they pick top tier. It was the same when Banshee Norn got released in FB.

As for it's worth. It's a huge disappointment. Can't play 2v2, due to netcode issues. Can't even play with those I played FB with. Haven't tried, since the newest update though.

Zoanoid33

Could anyone giveme some pointers with lupus? Just purchased him but I cant figure out how to do his melee pummel and the samurai sword combo either. Wish there was a movelist somewhere.

On a side note i really hope they add more of my favorite suits from IBO and SEED to the game soon.

Strike Freedom
Justice
Destiny
Vidar
Bael
Gushion Rebake

Could anyone giveme some pointers with lupus? Just purchased him but I cant figure out how to do his melee pummel and the samurai sword combo either. Wish there was a movelist somewhere.

After initiating a melee string, hold either forward, side, or back while mashing melee to do either of those combo enders.

Jubern

I wasn't sure I wanted to buy this after hearing so much things but it was my bday and someone gifted me it.

I'll echo what a lot of people said: core gameplay is good and MP works really well, so it's a big win on that front, but the content (suit selection), the SP modes and the business model risk ruining it completely...

I didn't buy the game so I'll likely feel like buying a few suits, but 650 yens a piece is... woof.

Xater

I wasn't sure I wanted to buy this after hearing so much things but it was my bday and someone gifted me it.

I'll echo what a lot of people said: core gameplay is good and MP works really well, so it's a big win on that front, but the content (suit selection), the SP modes and the business model risk ruining it completely...

I didn't buy the game so I'll likely feel like buying a few suits, but 650 yens a piece is... woof.

This is really bumming me out. I hope Bamco will change the business model for us.

DunpealD

The biggest joke is it was 476 yen + tax in FB. So they even increased the pricing.
If the DLC speed keeps going like this, the amount of DLC and cost are going to be obscene. Not to forget you not only get DLC units, but also the corresponding striker. So they can double up the pay to win chance. One for an OP Unit and another for OP Striker assist.

Bebpo

Banned
The biggest joke is it was 476 yen + tax in FB. So they even increased the pricing.
If the DLC speed keeps going like this, the amount of DLC and cost are going to be obscene. Not to forget you not only get DLC units, but also the corresponding striker. So they can double up the pay to win chance. One for an OP Unit and another for OP Striker assist.

I totally forgot FB DLC units were like 100yen cheaper. That's ridiculous they bumped the price up per unit.

Top Bottom