• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
You can't plead insane just by acting weird in court. It doesn't work that way. All the planning that went into this is going to make it hard to claim insanity.

I know, but I have heard that this about the only avenue he has. Even though it is obvious that the guy knew what he was doing. I still think he is acting this way so he can try to plead insanity. Of course he does not stand a chance.

Is there a reason why he didn't commit suicide? Usually this happens when after mass shootings. Surely, he knew that doing this would ruin his life right?

Also, what can his defendants do at this point? Plead insanity and put him in an asylum or make sure he doesn't get the death penalty?

Wants to be famous, probably. He can't see how this plays out if he's dead.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is there a reason why he didn't commit suicide? Usually this happens when after mass shootings. Surely, he knew that doing this would ruin his life right?

Also, what can his defendants do at this point? Plead insanity and put him in an asylum or make sure he doesn't get the death penalty?

I think the answer to that is more complicated that some people here want to believe.

I mean people here are screaming at his fucking hair of all things. They don't want to accept that maybe yes, he became crazy, for whatever reason.

So he did his shooting, and then just waited next to his car, not knowing what else to do.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The guy in court looked more tired to me than anything else. He had that "im trying to keep my eyes open" look. He was losing the not sleeping battle and he closed his eyes at some point.

I don't see any acting just sleep deprivation.

ironcreed

Banned
Anders Breivik was found to be criminally insane and he spent years planning his attack. Buying a farm so he could buy fertilizer without suspicion, getting the correct police uniform etc.

It's not as cut and dry as some people think. They want insane people to act crazy, to rant and shout like you'd see in a movie, but that's just not how it works.

It's simply hard to imagine someone who is out of their mind that can plan out and scheme down to such detail the way this guy did. He graduated at the top of his class at the University of Riverside, Califorinia and was a canditate for a PHD at the University of Colorado in Neuroscience. I just don't see insanity here. This guy is not getting off for what he did like that, no way.

MThanded

It's simply hard to imagine someone who is out of their mind that can plan out and scheme down to such detail the way this guy did. He graduated at the top of his class at the University of Riverside, Califorinia and was a canditate for a PHD at the University of Colorado in Neuroscience. I just don't see insanity here. This guy is not getting off for what he did like that, no way.
You can be insane and smart. Commonly people are. Not saying he is for sure insane but him being a PhD candidate and graduating at the top of the class is not proof he is not insane.

FStop7

Banned
I hate how every news outlet is trying to top the other, with the smallest detail of his life. And their general descriptions cover 75% of GAF. I am a quiet guy, i'am not on social network, i am smart, i have a batman mask from the special edition dvd i bought.
i read like 3 articles in the last 20 mins that say he had friends, he didn't have friends, he had friends but didn't talk to them a lot.
i just want them to wait 5 mins and get a clear story together.

I admit it - I searched GAF for posts about neuroscience, UC Riverside, moving to Aurora, and a few other things to see if he was a member. I didn't find anything.

AAequal

Banned
There are plenty of bright people who are also mentally ill.

GJS

Graduating and entering a PhD program doesn't exclude people from the appearance of mental disorders. Plus with the large number of disorders and the fact that everything is a spectrum, you can't just assume a disorder removes peoples ability to think and plan.

People with mental disorders also generally don't look any different than any other human being, yet people always act surprised.

You can be insane and smart. Commonly people are. Not saying he is for sure insane but him being a PhD candidate and graduating at the top of the class is not proof he is not insane.

The level of calculation and preparation going into the attack kind of goes head up in opposition against the definition of criminal insanity, however.

MThanded

The level of calculation and preparation going into the attack kind of goes head up in opposition against the definition of criminal insanity, however.
Did you read my post. I never said he was insane. I said using him being smart as some sort of counter argument of insanity is weak at best.

andycapps

And 1% are the mass killers

Who has it actually worked for that was a mass killer? Hoping it doesn't work here, and I highly doubt it would. This wasn't a spur of the moment thing that's a product of a compromised psyche. It was carefully planned over months, and maybe years.

ironcreed

Banned
There are plenty of bright people who are also mentally ill.

I gather, I just think he is a cold and scheming psychopath who had something make him finally snap and decide to take it out on innocent folks. His own mother has even made statements that she was expecting him to do something. She said, "You have the right guy" and "I knew it was him, even before it was announced." I'll grant you that he is sick, but he knew what he was doing. From the sound of it, his own mom is not surprised either.

AAequal

Banned
Not true, some schizophrenics are delusional to point where they can justify anything they do.

I gather, I just think he is a cold and scheming psychopath who had something make him finally snap and decide to take it out on innocent folks. His own mother has even made statements that she was expecting him to do something. She said, "You have the right guy" and "I knew it was him, even before it was announced." I'll grant you that he is sick, but he knew what he was doing. From the sound of it, his own mom is not surprised either.
Yeah, I think he knew what he was doing and isn't insane. He will spent rest of his life in jail. Obviously there was something wrong with him but I doubt he was medically insane.

ironcreed

Banned
Ever heard of Ted Kaczynski?

Of course, he was a ceritified genius that was also a psychopath. Being a psychopath is different than psychosis and what is termed as insanity and not knowing any better. Such as Schizophrenia. Psychopaths know full well what they are doing and just don't give a shit.

andycapps

Of course, he was a ceritified genius that was also a psychopath. Being a psychopath is different than psychosis and what is termed as insanity and not knowing any better. Such as Shizophrenia. Psychopaths know full well what they are doing and just don't give a shit.

True.. Some in this thread seem to not know the difference between someone being a psychopath and insanity.

Psychopath is:

a person with a psychopathic personality, which manifests as amoral and antisocial behavior, lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, extreme egocentricity, failure to learn from experience, etc.

Insanity is:

1. the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind. Synonyms: dementia, lunacy, madness, craziness, mania, aberration.
2. Law . such unsoundness of mind as frees one from legal responsibility, as for committing a crime, or as signals one's lack of legal capacity, as for entering into a contractual agreement.
3. Psychiatry . (formerly) psychosis.
4. a. extreme foolishness; folly; senselessness; foolhardiness: Trying to drive through that traffic would be pure insanity.
b. a foolish or senseless action, policy, statement, etc.: We've heard decades of insanities in our political discourse.

So, a very high chance that this guy is a psychopath. Low possibility of insanity.

GJS

Who has it actually worked for that was a mass killer? Hoping it doesn't work here, and I highly doubt it would. This wasn't a spur of the moment thing that's a product of a compromised psyche. It was carefully planned over months, and maybe years.

Lets say you have someone with a form of schizophrenia, with paranoia and grandiose delusions.

This person feels they are being persecuted by something, and they believe themselves to be important or someone they are not. This person could very well not mention any of these thoughts out of paranoia, yet go about stockpiling weapons and ammunition. All for a plan to end this persecution by carrying out an attack which they believe will target the persecutors and end it all.

This is just one way a single spectrum of one mental disorders could possibly lead to any sort of situation like this.

It's all well a good saying that people are acting insane to get out of it or knew what they did was wrong which may be true for some, but you are leaving other people vulnerable and liable to carry out these acts by ignoring real mental health care issues.

You need to have the appropriate push for mental health care so that issues are identified before things such as this occur, and mental health care is not as high priority as it should be.

Gaspode_T

The fact that he looks like the elder Pete and Pete in these shots is pissing me off to no end...basically he looks like a boy, what the hell was he doing with assault rifle...sigh...

lenovox1

Not often enough for anyone automatically believe that this guys going to be aquitted due to insanity.

And, in the States, it doesn't really matter if the defendant committed the crime in the spur of the moment with regards to the not guilty by reason of insanity thing. It would have to be proven that he was both mentally incompetent or mentally unstable, and it would have be proven that he didn't know he was doing something wrong. The "Will you visit me in jail?" banner he had on adultfriendfinder.com completely flies in the face of the last part.

The fact that he looks like the elder Pete and Pete in these shots is pissing me off to no end...basically he looks like a boy, what the hell was he doing with assault rifle...sigh...

That hair screams Layne Staley to me.

imgres

I can't see if the link worked while I'm at work.

Buzzati

Banned
Geoffrey Dahmer and Ted Kaczinski weren't found insane.

Let me reiterate. The guy that killed a bunch of dudes, including a child, embalmed them or ate them was not found insane.

Must be the most disappointing mass murderer ever. Even Timothy McVeigh looks like a steely eyed monster next to this cipher

That's why I don't get the Breivik comparison that's so popular these days. That guy looked like an ice-cold satisfied monster most of the time and the intent behind it seemed to be on another scale than this one. Both were so damn unnessecary, though. :( Hurting random good people who never did anything to you is just an absurd and mean concept I can't wrap my head around.

GJS

Geoffrey Dahmer and Ted Kaczinski weren't found insane.

Let me reiterate. The guy that killed a bunch of dudes, including a child, embalmed them or ate them was not found insane.

It's not the act that defines whether a person is sane and responsible or not.

Yeah I really don't care what you want to call it. "Insane" or not, dude needs to pay.

What does that even mean? At some point he can "pay" enough to "buy" the lives he took?

Being insane isn't "getting off" or "not a punishment". Prison isn't going to be any better than insanity. The death penalty isn't going to bring anybody back.

Majmun

A total psychopath.

My nephew is a forensic psychologist. I talked with him about this case. Intelligence level has nothing to do when it comes to murdering people. There are serial killers who function very well in our society, are respected by others and have good jobs.

It's the lack of empathy that makes these people who they are. Not their intelligence level.

Dinokill

Instead of letting the guy rot in prison and never be seen again. This guy needs to be studied so to understand what caused this individual with a bright future to go on a killing spree. But people are paying more attention to costumes, video games and shit.

shira

Instead of letting the guy rot in prison and never be seen again. This guy needs to be studied so to understand what caused this individual with a bright future to go on a killing spree. But people are paying more attention to costumes, video games and shit.

I'm a little curious. What do you mean study him - like opening up his brain?
Doing electroshock treatments on him?
Giving him standardized tests?
Using him to solve crimes?

Fugu

What's your evidence that he is a psychopath other than that he killed a whole bunch of people? Was he humiliated and abused as a child?

Psychopathy is more commonly associated with serial killers, not mass-murderers, by the way.

A total psychopath.

My nephew is a forensic psychologist. I talked with him about this case. Intelligence level has nothing to do when it comes to murdering people. There are serial killers who function very well in our society, are respected by others and have good jobs.

It's the lack of empathy that makes these people who they are. Not their intelligence level.

But it would be interesting to see if a lack of empathy is associated with intelligence level, or being a loner

What does that even mean? At some point he can "pay" enough to "buy" the lives he took?

Being insane isn't "getting off" or "not a punishment". Prison isn't going to be any better than insanity. The death penalty isn't going to bring anybody back.

I'm just saying if the victims' families are hoping for capital punishment, and if pleading insanity means no death penalty, why disappoint these families with an insanity verdict?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom