• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gurumin coming to Nintendo 3DS Next Month!

Just finished my fanmade box:

gurumin_3d_3ds_boxart_by_goldmetalsonic-da6n89f.png

(edit: I made the logo bigger, looks better this way than worrying about the tree faces honestly. Feedback on preference? Also I added the 3D warning.)

###

I settled on that since I couldn't find a HQ version of the boxart of the PSP game.

I think it came out beautifully!

Screens coming up in a couple of minutes. :)

Edit: Screens:

DbTocvf.png
wsRLzgy.png

Al6XjBr.png
FwWaTJc.png

Hjorw00.png
X8aIyl8.png

4fTmv8p.png
cwrMO4O.png

b91Aso5.png
cu3ZDlf.png

For some reason the PC version gives me weird performance, so I might actually be tempted to double dip and buy this on the 3DS.

They should make a new one, though. This game originally came out in 2004 and had several releases over the years...

Just finished my fanmade box:

(edit: I made the logo bigger, looks better this way than worrying about the tree faces honestly. Feedback on preference? Also I added the 3D warning.)

###

I settled on that since I couldn't find a HQ version of the boxart of the PSP game.

I think it came out beautifully!

Screens coming up in a couple of minutes. :)

Edit: Screens:

Looks decent. The cel shading has made it across intact and the textures in dungeons are pretty crisp. Shame about the lack of dynamic shadows, though, but this might explain it:

Another thing: Nintendo now supports five different ways to program the GPU. The easiest way is DMPGL (OpenGL|ES with Maestro stuff), which is easy to use but has a very high overhead. Then comes GD, a functional equivalent but not compatible to OpenGL and more lightweight, followed by GR, which is even more low level and offers better performance, but requires more in-depth knowledge of the GPU. The next option is NW4C (NintendoWare for CTR), Nintendo's official middleware solution, complete with graphical frontends and stuff. Supposedly easy to use and high performance, but I assume flexibility is limited. And last, but not least, is direct register access, which requires arcane knowledge but offers the best possible performance (and the most ways for stuff to go horribly wrong).

Probably explains why Pokémon Sun and Moon look so much better than X/Y or ORAS too.

I'd like to know this, it seems like even the interface shares more with the PSP version than the PC version, and the bottom screen is pretty disappointing. Guessing those hot buttons (which have inconsistent artwork quality across them) just open up menus.

A buttom screen drag and drop inventory would have been pretty great for equipping items quickly given the situation (think like Majora's Mask 3D or Zelda: ALBW, though the latter didn't pause the game like Gurumin does), and the rhythm meter could have been placed there.

As for controls, does this version support the C-Stick? And is it N3DS enhanced I wonder...

khaaan

Neat little game, looks a bit smoother than the PSP version but it might be because I was playing on a Vita so the image was a little more blown up. I do remember at one point not being sure how the game wanted me to proceed though and ended up putting the game down out of frustration. $15 is a smart price and if I don't pick it up for the 3DS I'll at least probably jump back in to the PSP version again.

Probably explains why Pokémon Sun and Moon look so much better than X/Y or ORAS too.

Do they? I noticed the proportions but I never picked up anything that showed it being graphically better.

Do they? I noticed the proportions but I never picked up anything that showed it being graphically better.

Much higher polycount for the environments and in battle, dynamic shadows, rim lighting (you can notice this in gameplay where the character runs up a hill in the sunset), greater use of 3DS's fixed function shaders and other niceties.

It looks a whole lot better while running at the same, or better, framerate.

Eila

For some reason the PC version gives me weird performance, so I might actually be tempted to double dip and buy this on the 3DS.

They should make a new one, though. This game originally came out in 2004 and had several releases over the years...

The PC version is 30 fps but it felt weird at times. I'm no expert but it was probably frame pacing issues.
The 3DS ver. indeed looks more based on PSP, judging by the circle shadows and on screen info. IIRC many NPC and monster animations on that game were 15 fps, so I wonder if they can improve on that, at a least.

mclem

I played the PC version over Christmas. Liked it, but didn't love it:

Gurumin: I said last month that I felt it was getting samey, but I think the level design picked up a bit in the final two areas. It still has the slight design issue that
the second half of each world is a harder version of the first half, in reverse
, but the more interesting level layouts in the last couple of worlds go some way to alleviate that. The bonus boss was, of course, ridiculously difficult, which made the real final boss seem like a joke. Overall I think I did like it, it was just a bit too much of a slog for the middle portion where it felt like the levels were repeatedly Just A Series Of Square Rooms With Different Wallpaper.

Boney

Banned
That's pretty cool. I don't think the game is particularly good but it's charming on it's own right, and a nice fit for a Nintendo system.

Saoshyant

Well, I'm aware of them wanting to do Fatal Frame 5, but that one makes sense since NA is the only region which didn't get a retail release (Europe had a limited one, but those who wanted it got it).

Ace Attorney DD would be interesting since they would have to get provisions to make it work in both NA and EU. Can't imagine Capcom would play ball with LRG in the first place, though.

PsionBolt

Neat. That reminds me -- I never did finish this game. I forget why... I feel like I dropped it around the same time my PSP's analog nub died, so maybe that had something to do with it. I actually can't recall if the game used the D-pad or not...

But anyway, at 15 bucks, I'd give this game a recommendation to anyone on the fence. It's one of those solid, average, B-tier sort of games that we really don't see very often anymore. (This isn't a dis -- a lot of my favourite games actually come from that category, even if I'd never call them "great".)

It's a shame this isn't retail-bound, but Mastiff sort of changed direction like UFO did a few years back. Mastiff's last retail game that I can see was Bandfuse: Rock Legends on PS3 and 360. And since then have done mostly Steam and mobile releases of past games. UFO also abandoned retail earlier and just do digital-only releases, only nowadays they're lucky to get one game out a year for whatever reason, despite a large output on Wii and DS years back (which included localizations).

PsionBolt

Anyone able to snap some exact pics of the PSP and PC versions to compare with the 3DS version's pics above?

I found my PSP copy and took a few shots (via hardware, not emulator -- turns out the game does work with the D-pad on PSP, maybe I'll finish it after all). I didn't match the locations and such exactly, but I tried to put similar shots next to one another.

PSP on left, 3DS (top screen) on right:

zIqvWbJ.png
OZpOXNa.png

PqcGNw1.png
zP6KmAw.png

Ar7Sc3N.png
LSe5TGp.png

f9vGGN1.png
biURESJ.png

Bonus image, because I had forgotten how often I smiled at this game's humour:
lbpPS41.png

Yeah the 3DS version has ever slightly different colors, and honestly at the moment I like it that way, dunno why.

Textures seem identical. And the models now have the cel-shading of the PC version.

Thank you very much for the pics! :)

VLiberty

Out of nowhere.
I've always wanted to play it but never got to. I've looked up on amazon and it's 8€ for the psp version, I think I'm gonna get it

krae_man

Just played it at the Nintendo indies event.

The box pushing was a little awkward but other then that it played great.

They had an inflatable version of Poco's boombox(that they wouldn't let me keep :( )

Vitacat

This is an excellent game (I played the PSP version years ago, like many here). Shame there's no physical release for those who prefer it. But $15 is pretty inexpensive for a quality title, and it's likely to be the definitive version.

Top Bottom