• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwyneth Paltrow Defends N-Word Tweet. The Dream attempts to eat the charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Black people stop embarrassing me.

The faux outrage is ridiculous.

I try to stay away from the word , but getting up in arms about this is foolish and a waste of time.

What pisses me off is when people say brah all the time. They don't know that brah was an offensive term used against disenfranchised California surfers directly following Brian Wilsons mental breakdown and the taking off public beaches. It just hurts...

Stet

Banned
On one hand it's the name of the song, on the other hand Gwyneth Paltrow is the most insufferable person on earth.

Yeah, like endorsing Coldplay.

she's married to a guy from Coldplay. of course she'd endorse them.

I always though Gwyneth was just another pretty face until I read her interview with Jigga. that girl's a major hip hop head and has been such since some of you fucks were in diapers.
she could recite NWA songs when the shit was just coming out. much respect.
oh and fuck this non-controversy.

I try to stay away from the word , but getting up in arms about this is foolish and a waste of time.
Pretty much how I feel. I don't use the word at all but this is a dumb thing to get angry about. And it was also dumb for Paltrow to tweet, I don't know what else she would've expected.

white "outrage" on not being allowed to say the n-word is hilarious. There are plenty of words I can't say and I don't give a shit. They say "bitch" a lot in rap music too, doesn't mean I go around calling females that. Maybe I should cry about reverse-sexism for not being able to indiscriminately say the b-curse. Oh poor me I am a man who's rights have been trampled, its so hard being a man in this PC society WAAAAAAAAH

This reads like "if whites can't do it, then it's off the table gotdammit!!" lol .

Co-signed

Stet

Banned
Gwyneth Paltrow's got 99 exquisitely hand-crafted problems imported from Italy but a tweet ain't one.

no one is outraged that they can't say the word nigga. what does get at people, though, is the taboo that's associated with saying the word in any context at all, for fear of being construed as racist by people who they don't even know.

there was a thread a while ago where i said how much i loved the song, and someone replied by asking if i just "wanted an excuse" to type the word. i didn't want an excuse to do anything, i just wanted to like the song.

I am really curious about how this issue was addressed in the 70s. It was right after the civil right movement so I am assuming that people were starting to be a lot more PC. Could a white person say to a black person they loved this album without fear of a negative reaction?

GBHxc.jpg

Esch

Banned
I am really curious about how this issue was addressed in the 70s. It was right after the civil right movement so I am assuming that people were starting to be a lot more PC. Could a white person say to a black person they loved this album without fear of a negative reaction?

It was way easier to get away with. You need proof, go watch something like Blazing Saddles. That shit has white people saying some stuff you could never say today. About race, sexuality, almost everything.

bud

Let's say Adele is pictured drinking a glass of wine at the movie premiere with Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson and I tweet

Water for Elephants for real!

The pun should be obvious.

wait, adele wrote a song titled "water for elephants?"

are black people even mad about this?

i just feel like this is RE5 all over again, where most black people were like ... whatever ... and people just targeted N'gai and that black female blogger whose name escapes me at the moment.

well, at least before we saw the grass skirt spear chuckers anyway...

Akainu

It's the title of the song. A incredibly stupid shitty title but it's the title. Blame KanJay for coming up with that crap.

What are you talking about? It's been out for half a year and has been extremely popular. There is no viral marketing at all here because it doesn't need it.

Calm down dear, I'VE never heard of the song. Okay kid. We ALL don't live in the US you know.

Plus I was fucking joking...

You may follow people on twitter all bloody day, I do not.

Do you guys remember that thread about "Can white people like rap music unironically?"

I sometimes feel it is a bit too esoteric and exclusionary for a wide audience. I am a Wu-Tang fan, but I realize I can't repeat or claim to relate to a lot of their lyrics. Makes it hard for me to give the genre the chance it deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom