• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 Early Access |OT| You've got red on you.

owlbeak

This looks fun, might get into it once it's released later. But, man, it looks bad. Looks like all the assets are years old. Might just be a poor lighting engine, not really sure.

Klyka

Banned
This looks fun, might get into it once it's released later. But, man, it looks bad. Looks like all the assets are years old. Might just be a poor lighting engine, not really sure.

Most of it is all placeholder. The Planetside 2 Engine can produce fantastic visuals.

Clauss

How about choice is better?

There are already games that are PvP only (with this exact theme and similar feature sets), and if that's your cup of tea, you can go to a PvP only server.

As it is, PvE available is probably the reason why I'll give H1Z1 a try.

They could do it like WoW does it and have some super buffed NPC's in the contested zones. However, since everywhere in h1z1 would technically be 'contested,' maybe there could be certain towns that are 'safe-zones' in the sense that they are not 100% safe, but they just have some NPC's that would try to fuck you up if you start RDM'ing.

I doubt any of this would ever happen. Purely conjecture.

pvpness

I'm in for $20. Why not? Looks like they already have a good start and I'm sure the updates will keep coming. I wonder if any of my mates are gonna be playing...

Thinking on picking it up for 20 as well. I hope its fun.... it was this or dying light.....I figure I might can get enough for dying light if I only get the 20 dollar package.

zinder

I'm going to let lirik test it out first, lol. I just tuned into a dayz session. "Holy shit, what is wrong with these servers. It's running on an i7 hamster shit."

Yeah same. Will not be jumping onto any early access/pre-order hype this year.

ldcommando

Banned
watching lirik´s stream right and it looks like the game got pushed for another hour. 1 pm pst it seems

edit: beaten like those h1z1 servers are going to be when the game launches

That's exactly what I said about DayZ standalone... lol.

People who keep comparing these two have to realize day z was a mod turned standalone product from a small dev team.

This game is made by a large team of developers who has experience, money and the technology to build a large open world fps game.

One game's faults can't be held against another it is however wise to hold off if you want a finished product.

Good to know.

This is the same engine as PS2? That game looks fantastic so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Yeah they are already working on new character models(including females), animations and zombies. They just wanted to hit a level where the game was playable and build out from there.

Klyka

Banned
People who keep comparing these two have to realize day z was a mod turned standalone product from a small dev team.

This game is made by a large team of developers who has experience, money and the technology to build a large open world fps game.

One game's faults can't be held against another it is however wise to hold off if you want a finished product.

Yeah they are already working on new character models(including females), animations and zombies. They just wanted to hit a level where the game was playable and build out from there.

It also already runs on an engine specifically made for large maps and tons of players.

zinder

Yeah, I realize that. I am pretty confident that H1Z1 will not end up being the same story, but I was also just as confident about DayZ standalone. But I am just generally done with early access stuff, since they lack content way to much content. Obviously, that's the point of early access, but it feels like developers just get lazy when the cash comes in. The only early access I have positive reviews for is Rust. Those guys are going out of their way to improve the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's too bad they are allowing PvE servers. All this does is deprive people of a real game experience that the developers intended for people to have. In the end they included it mostly because it means more copies sold and a more popular game, but doesn't mean it all that it was the right decision.

Play the game as it was meant to be played and don't be wimps. If you can't handle PvP, then this really isn't the right genre for you. PvE just means we'll have less weaklings on PvP servers, and we need some weaklings ;)

They should have had special servers with safe areas instead of full blown PvE servers, that would have made more sense and been a compromise.

Or some of us don't give a shit about the player-versus-player which will be "DayZ: Kill on Sight Team Deathmatch 2.0" and want to focus on the zombies/AI... which is the STAR of the show. Not player interactions.

That said I've been burned by DayZ's promise of a "zombie survival sim" and the zombies being fucking terrible in terms of AI and combating them for 2 years now, so I'm not giving H1Z1 the time of day until it's out of Early Access.

It also already runs on an engine specifically made for large maps and tons of players.

the arma 3 engine used for DZ: SA was as well though, was't not?

very, very, very curious to see peoples' impressions of this once it releases [so soon now!].

i had some great fun with DZ: SA when i got my new PC earlier this year, but the constant ganking turned me off it rather quickly - it would make the stakes too high and i became afraid to do anything / go anywhere / log in at all if i ever got kitted out remotely well.

that said, particularly interested to see how the PvE aspects of H1Z1 play out.

as much as i hate constantly dying and losing my progress to evil-doers out there, it's also a prime source of DZ: SA's "excitement", and considering how tertiary killing zombies feels in DZ: SA, i'm curious to see if H1Z1 can make PvE equally as engaging as PvP.

Shady859

They moved it back an hour, GOOD. All these twitch kids got there countdowns ruined and I have time to go get food and come back.

Yeah, I realize that. I am pretty confident that H1Z1 will not end up being the same story, but I was also just as confident about DayZ standalone. But I am just generally done with early access stuff, since they lack content way to much content. Obviously, that's the point of early access, but it feels like developers just get lazy when the cash comes in.

Either lazy or misdirected. I have been burned a few times too but they were indie games with two or three people on the team. I do hope this one grows at a faster rate.

Klyka

Banned
Good to know.

This is the same engine as PS2? That game looks fantastic so I will keep my fingers crossed.

It is.

The "Forgelight Engine" is used for Planetside 2, H1Z1, Everquest Landmark and Everquest Next. It is quite the decent engine really.

Klyka

Banned
the arma 3 engine used for DZ: SA was as well though, was't not?

very, very, very curious to see peoples' impressions of this once it releases [so soon now!].

i had some great fun with DZ: SA when i got my new PC earlier this year, but the constant ganking turned me off it rather quickly - it would make the stakes too high and i became afraid to do anything / go anywhere / log in at all if i ever got kitted out remotely well.

that said, particularly interested to see how the PvE aspects of H1Z1 play out.

as much as i hate constantly dying and losing my progress to evil-doers out there, it's also a prime source of DZ: SA's "excitement", and considering how tertiary killing zombies feels in DZ: SA, i'm curious to see if H1Z1 can make PvE equally as engaging as PvP.

Man,I wish DayZ used Arma3.

It uses Arma 2 engine with some upgrades from the "Take on helicopters" expansion and a new renderer they have made now. The engine is frankly piss and is a huge part of why DayZ takes fucking ages to become proper.

Man,I wish DayZ used Arma3.

It uses Arma 2 engine with some upgrades from the "Take on helicopters" expansion and a new renderer they have made now. The engine is frankly piss and is a huge part of why DayZ takes fucking ages to become proper.

cool, thanks for that!

yeah, it's a frustrating engine [from a pure consumer perspective].

there are moments where i enjoy what i'm looking at, but the amount of work it took to get running smoothly [on a high end PC, no less] was just too much.

i didn't realize the engine itself had a lot to do with the game's slow development, certainly frustrating to hear that. :/

Top Bottom