• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu Manga lOTl Fly High!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeRaSh

I've only read the manga; it's really good at conveying speed and movement. Like top-tier.

The third season nearly caught up to the manga, so you'll have to wait a really long while for the fourth. Might as well pick it up.

Thanks! Will do.

Yonafunu

Oh! We have a thread here? I just finished watching the third season of the anime a few days ago and now I don't know if I should wait for a fourth season or start picking up the manga...
Does the tension, speed and action translate well in the manga?

You can go back and reread the manga from the beginning if you want. You'll get a pretty good picture from that. Or just the more recent matches (Seijo and Shiratorizawa), which is more representative of how the manga looks now.

KeRaSh

You can go back and reread the manga from the beginning if you want. You'll get a pretty good picture from that. Or just the more recent matches (Seijo and Shiratorizawa), which is more representative of how the manga looks now.

One thing I couldn't get out of my head for days was the crowd chanting:
"Nice Kill Ushijima."
"Ushijima! Ushijima!"

That match is probably in my top 5 of most intense anime moments ever.
I also loved how they cared to show the background and emotions of other teams.

One thing I'm very curios about is how things will proceed. Shiratorizawa was hyped up to be the final boss for so long. How are the remaining teams compared to them? Even stronger? Nekoma never really felt like a threat on the same level as Shiratorizawa.
Damnit I need to start reading this asap.

Yonafunu

One thing I couldn't get out of my head for days was the crowd chanting:
"Nice Kill Ushijima."
"Ushijima! Ushijima!"

That match is probably in my top 5 of most intense anime moments ever.
I also loved how they cared to show the background and emotions of other teams.

One thing I'm very curios about is how things will proceed. Shiratorizawa was hyped up to be the final boss for so long. How are the remaining teams compared to them? Even stronger? Nekoma never really felt like a threat on the same level as Shiratorizawa.
Damnit I need to start reading this asap.

Well, one thing to think about is the fact that Shiratorizawa is the strongest team in Miyagi. Japan is a lot bigger. Of course Ushiwaka is top 3 of the country, but as Iwaizumi likes to say; a team is about all six players. Now, I wouldn't say Ushijima is the only strong player in Shiratorizawa, far from it, but they never really take advantage of that fact. In a pinch? Set to Ushiwaka. That's it. Even without a top 3 ace there's alot you can do if you actually use everyone, just look at Karasuno.

That said, seems like you're going to be reading the manga, so you'll see. Keep posting, I love reading ongoing impressions!

cntr

Banned
Part of the reason Shiratorizawa's so scary is that they're hard to relate to and like, aside from Tendou and Goshiki. They're like the final boss of a JRPG, more of an obstacle than an opponent. The entire team was based around Ushikawa.

The new tournament teams have been a lot more likable, so we'll probably go back to the normal Haikyuu style of relatability, teamwork, and skill. Which is a good thing, imo, having more teams like Shiratorizawa would get tiring.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh! We have a thread here? I just finished watching the third season of the anime a few days ago and now I don't know if I should wait for a fourth season or start picking up the manga...
Does the tension, speed and action translate well in the manga?
The show is a carbon copy of the manga. I would read the manga though until we get the anime next year.

Warning we do openly talk about the recent chapter per week

KeRaSh

Seems like I really need to hurry and catch up! Can't wait. Will come back here once I've caught up with the manga!

KeRaSh

If I really get into it I will probably blast through them pretty quickly. This week is pretty busy but I might be able to sneak in some chapters before I go to sleep every now and then.

/edit: So I started reading some chapters last night and it definitely takes some time to get used to. It's a little difficult at first to figure out where the ball is moving because of how they are trying to convey the speed of it but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Yonafunu

poster for a haikyuu tour

I missed that you posted this, but this is actually a poster for Ennoshita's newest film!
It stars everyone on the poster, with cinematography by Akaashi, production design by Moniwa and music by Tendo.

Among Ennoshita's other works are:

Final Haikyu Quest
tumblr_nsev6pFxx21ru4z27o1_400.png

Haikyu Fighter: The Movie
tumblr_nsev6pFxx21ru4z27o2_400.png

Crow's Angels
tumblr_nsev6pFxx21ru4z27o3_400.png

*Whatever this says in Japanese*
tumblr_nsev6pFxx21ru4z27o4_400.png

Shimmer Tsukki
tumblr_nsev6pFxx21ru4z27o5_500.png

And then there's Nishinoya's directorial debut, The Silent Court
tumblr_odscwyuSLo1rdyv3fo1_1280.png

It's a thing Furudate does.

C-0rsb1XoAAgI-s.jpg:large

Very exciting but definitely something I wish was animated just so I could hear it and see it, hard to get that feeling when you cant hear it on manga pages.

Hinata was so funny this match especially after getting cheered up by Nishinoya's compliment, best 2nd year.

Yonafunu

New chapter's up.

I appreciate how, even though he's learned at lot at the training camp, Hinata isn't suddenly great at receiving now. His movement and positioning awareness has improved, but he's still pretty shit at actually receiving the ball.

TheFlow

Banned
awesome chapter. both teams are feeling each other out at the moment. I think the other team has some tricks they aren't showing yet.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw the finals of one of Brazil's volleyball championship and there was a point near the end that was an insane rally. Some of that shit (mainly the guy crossing over the net to send back the ball at the start) needs to happen in Haikyuu eventually.

There's a video here

http://globoesporte.globo.com/volei...o-domina-taubate-e-e-penta-da-superliga.ghtml

The video is the best moments of the match. The part I talked about happens around 8m15.

Wait, that's legal?!?! The hell!??!?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
If the ball goes "out" beyond the antenna, it's considered still on that team's play field.

Now tell me you don't want to see that shit on Haikyuu.

I can already hear the epic music.

That's an amazing rule. I only played competitively in elementary and high school, so I would have loved to have tried this once.

And man, I need to get back into Haikyuu the anime, just in case it ever happens. I bet the go to space just like Kuroko et al ;)

Gvitor

Haikyuu is one of the few anime that I continued following even after I made the jump to thea manga.

Both are just that good

TheFlow

Banned
Haikyuu is one of the few anime that I continued following even after I made the jump to thea manga.

Both are just that good

no lies detected. Glad you switched to the manga real quick. The tokyo representative matches were glossed over in the anime. Still hoping for a quick OVA.

GhostBed

no lies detected. Glad you switched to the manga real quick. The tokyo representative matches were glossed over in the anime. Still hoping for a quick OVA.

I figure they'll open the next season with the Tokyo matches. They are SO GOOD, it would be a tragedy if they skipped them. Nekoma v Nohebi is one of my favorite matches in the manga.

Yonafunu

Yeah, there's no way they're skipping the Tokyo matches. There's some important stuff in there, and the anime hasn't really skipped anything yet.

GhostBed

Miya bros bringing the non-stop heat.

But Karasuno seems really damn focused and confident. Excited to see them pull off some god like plays.

Yonafunu

You know, when we saw him at the training camp I wasn't really feeling Atsumu, but throwing Osamu in makes him a lot more interesting. And, as a twin, I love their relationship.

GhostBed

Stellar chapter.

Has anyone else noticed that the art feels darker since the start of this match? Like, the shading is heavier and there's a lot of accented darkness. It's been giving the whole game a really oppressive and heavy feel, which is, of course, fitting for who they're up against.

This game is gonna turn out to be something special, for sure.

Hyped as hell for Hinata's mega jump. I feel like that's gonna be the only appropriate answer for the Miya twins copying the God like quick.

Kindaichi and Kunimi got some panel time, yes....

Poor Akiteru
DArZXggXUAAMHYR.jpg:large

And as said last week, Tsukki delivered, hopefully we get more moments and get Hinata up there too, continually their the best on Karasunos.

-

Who was that random older man commenting though.

GhostBed

Who was that random older man commenting though.

That was the coach from the All Japan training camp. He was only in like 2 chapters. Interesting to see him features again, I wonder what kind of role he'll play in this arc.

Another stellar chapter. Furudate's art has been ace this game.

Hinata and Tsuki with those high level plays.

cntr

Banned
Tsukki and Hinata are my two favorite characters, so I'm quite pleased by the last few chapters.

I was wondering why they weren't making a bigger deal out of the "super quick" being imitated, but it makes sense now.

Yonafunu

Like Ukai said, it makes perfect sense for Tsukki to block the imitation-quick, he's the person who's had to deal with it the most, both in practice and seeing it in action from the sidelines.

There was also the foreshadowing of him playing a big role against Hoshiumi, during the first-year training camp at Shiratorizawa. He asked Hinata to train with him to practice blocking against someone who can "see the blocks". Which, looking at his comments in this chapter, seems like Hoshiumi is able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom