• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haikyuu Manga lOTl Fly High!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukki's jump was incredible and Kags with a well placed, though maybe a bit high toss.

Hopefully Hinata can deliver now that hes back on court with Tsukki, and can prove both Kags and yams wrong.

Best commentary
DBQTtUFW0AAdio8.jpg:small

DBQTtUHXYAEmuGD.jpg:small

Yonafunu

Damn that chapter was good.

Nice seeing Tsukki boosting his court awareness from the Shiratorizawa match and first-year training camp. He did pretty much the exact same thing Taichi did in the finals.

And speaking of the training camp, I'm loving how close the first years have gotten since then. Seeing all the different Miyagi first years mingle always warms my heart. Same goes for Kageyama and his training camp buddies, of course.

edit: also, it looks like the Seijo extra chapter will be animated in the upcoming Seijo vs Karasuno compilation movie

cntr

Banned
I really like the direction Tsukki's going, being able to attack and that hint we got of him practicing setting earlier. (Not to mention Hinata finally starting to get defensive skills!)

Chase17

These chapters go by too fast.

Great offense from Tsukki and the stare down with Kageyama after was funny. Nice to see payoff from the training. Also the Tanaka bit was good too. Looking forward to whatever Ukai has planned for Hinata.

TheFlow

Banned
Great chapters.

Tsukki needs to be able to spike more, and I am glad it happened again. His height, and quick thinking is scary. Also it is a no brainer he is the first to block the quick, but I think Hinata can follow/block it as well.

Overall I got the crows winning this match. I know some people don't like that idea, but why not.

Mumei

This manga caught my eye when I was at the library recently, and I got the first two volumes after seeing this thread. I was actually sold by the comparison to Eyeshield 21 in the second post. I recently bought most of that manga at a used book store sale. I haven't read it yet, but I have seen maybe 50 episodes of the anime when it was airing before I fell off, so it was a selling point to me. Anyway, the first two volumes of Haikyuu were a bit paint-by-numbers, but the sports shounen formula is quite fun, so no complaints here. Looking forward to tournaments and meeting the coach!

Yonafunu

This manga caught my eye when I was at the library recently, and I got the first two volumes after seeing this thread. I was actually sold by the comparison to Eyeshield 21 in the second post. I recently bought most of that manga at a used book store sale. I haven't read it yet, but I have seen maybe 50 episodes of the anime when it was airing before I fell off, so it was a selling point to me. Anyway, the first two volumes of Haikyuu were a bit paint-by-numbers, but the sports shounen formula is quite fun, so no complaints here. Looking forward to tournaments and meeting the coach!

Cool, welcome! Why did you stop watching the anime, if you don't mind me asking?

Mumei

Cool, welcome! Why did you stop watching the anime, if you don't mind me asking?

Keep in mind that this was about ten or eleven years ago; I just couldn't find new episodes from anyone. As far as I could tell at the time, the series had been dropped.

Yonafunu

Keep in mind that this was about ten or eleven years ago; I just couldn't find new episodes from anyone. As far as I could tell at the time, the series had been dropped.

Oh sorry, I misread. I thought you meant the Haikyuu anime, not Eyeshield 21. Yeah, it's not that big of a deal you dropped that, the manga is so much better.

I'd really recommend the Haikyuu anime, though. Don't get me wrong, I love the manga, but as someone who's been following it since the first chapter, the anime is pretty much a perfect adaptation. The animation is consistently high quality, the voice acting is perfect, and the soundtrack is balls to the wall amazing. Really check it out if you can.

That one tsukihina moment with hinata being all proud of his task and teasing tsuki lol. Hinatas block was shocking, so glad hes learning from tsukishima. If only it wasnt a fluke.

I thought kinoshita would have done something of more significance, I like him, more presence please.

Chase17

Nice chapter. The reactions to Hinata's block were hilarious. The both go for ball intimidation stuff is always good too.

Mumei

Oh sorry, I misread. I thought you meant the Haikyuu anime, not Eyeshield 21. Yeah, it's not that big of a deal you dropped that, the manga is so much better.

I'd really recommend the Haikyuu anime, though. Don't get me wrong, I love the manga, but as someone who's been following it since the first chapter, the anime is pretty much a perfect adaptation. The animation is consistently high quality, the voice acting is perfect, and the soundtrack is balls to the wall amazing. Really check it out if you can.

I've gotten 43 episodes in since I was last here. :)

I am never getting Date Tech's chant out of my head, am I?

Mumei

Awesome! How are you feeling about it?

And no, you're not

I am feeling mad that I just finished Season 3 and they have been so rude as to not have more episodes prepared for me!

It happens at random times during the day

GhostBed

So, first set goes to Karasuno or Inarizaki?

I'm betting Inarizaki

I think Karasuno will take it. Their playstyle seems to be messing with Inarizaki already, but in the second set Ina will find their groove and kick some serious ass. Or who knows, maybe Karasuno will take straight sets? Would be hype as hell.

GhostBed

Yamaguchi needs to work on his defense now that he's got his serves down. He usually misses receives that Daichi could easily nab, and he could go on much longer serve streaks if he could get the ball up. No doubt he'll polishing that a lot in the second year.

Kageyama is about to pull off a ridiculous play.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I just caught up recently after watching the three anime seasons about five times. I simply love this manga and anime, it plays almost everything straight but does it amazingly.

I was hesitant to read the manga because people mentioned it's not as good as the anime and that the recent training arcs dragged and were boring. Now, I agree that it's less exciting without the great animation and music of the anime but it is still great. I disagree completely about the training arcs -- I loved them about as much as the actual matches.

Two things I'm wondering about is everyone talking about a second year. I feel like I want to see it happen but I'm not sure whether the author would like a retread of the past 100-something chapters. We'll have to go through the whole Miyagi tournament and then nationals -- and even if Karasuno lose soon (I don't see them losing in this match though) they would've gotten far. I would love to see the dynamic of new members and how the team handles the third-years being gone, but I'm thinking the author may not do it for fear of being stale.

The second thing is how they'll handle Kinoshita and Yamaguchi-- they both seem to be fulfilling the same role. In real life one of them will turn out better (the manga seems to indicate that Kinoshita is more talented) and the other one will just get shoved out, but maybe one of them will diversify or something.

Lastly, as someone who has been in competitive sports (well, martial arts but it's similar) I've identified with many, many things in this series.
Especially in the training arcs (unsurprisingly since the bulk of time you're training), I found it to be realistic-- it's not a stroke of genius but I haven't seen it executed this well elsewhere. For instance, going backwards to go forwards (with the reinvention of the 'freak' quick) and the slow acquiring of new skills coupled with being not as good as you can possibly be.
Particularly the recent training arc with Hinata being the ball-boy struck a chord. I was recovering from an injury recently (still am) and was forced to sit aside and just watch practices. I felt like I learnt a significant amount from just sitting down and watching normal practice (that I couldn't from just watching videos online), and I often had the feeling of "why didn't I think of that before" like Hinata (unlike him, I realised at some point that I'm looking more at people's weakpoints than I was looking at their strengths which I attempted to correct).

Yonafunu

Welcome! I definitely agree with you about the training arcs, I often enjoy them at least as much as the matches since there's so much opportunity for character growth. The recent first-year camp is a great example of that, as you pointed out.

GhostBed

The training arcs are my favorites, tbh. I love these characters a lot and it's cool to see them do things outside of just volleyball.

Yonafunu

New chapter's up.

Tanaka finally getting that well-deserved focus. I also really like how the first set is already this intense, seeing as they usually breeze through first sets without any real tension.

Hinata had the sparkles at the impressive Tsuki block, lets go! Push it push it.

Other schools had so much better third years, each of these flashbacks makes me dislike previous Karasuno more and more.

GhostBed

The pressure just keeps building, love it. The last few points of a set are always intense as hell.

Nice to see Suna killing it right now. He didn't have much of a presence during the start of the game, but now it looks like he'll be a main threat, like Ukai said.

Tanaka best score the winning point.

GhostBed

263 is out.

Chapter went by really fast, mostly felt like set up for next week's chapter. Hoping Tanaka can pull off something Godlike, he deserves it.

Man, this first set is loooooong. I'm thinking Karasuno will take it in straight sets or else this game will still be going once the holidays roll around.

Tanaka NIshinoya color page next week I hope?!

Also poor Tanaka, I could see him having all the emotions he had on the steps and maze scene, stay strong dude.

Tsukki praising hinata was the best as well as Tsuki getting them out of a bad spot.

DFwMHaNW0AElOMs.jpg:large

I loved the color page spread awesome theme (though Tsukki could be in a better position)

Chapter was amazing even if we already knew what would happen (would Tanaka really not have made the killer move to seal the set?).

Tsuki Tanaka conversation though, I loved it.

GhostBed

Tanakaaaaa!!

Was pretty predictable, but still sooo satisfying. Gonna look incredible animated.

Next set will hopefully have some more surprises now that Tanaka finally got his moment.

Maybe Nishinoya will get injured? I remember some light foreshadowing for that before the match started. Give Hinata a big chance to shine.

Yonafunu

Now that the first set's over I expect to see more from Suna and Alan. So far it's been pretty much the Miya-show over there.

Wasnt expecting a Nekoma chapters after Karasuno's thrilling win, but I guess its interesting especially for seeing how Nekoma will come out of this. I assume they will win as furudate didnt even fully detail sarukawa techs players or anything. (unless hed really make them lose against some no name randoms?)

Good kenhina content.
DGZVyrpXcAA-JD0.jpg:small

Gvitor

Good chapter, wasn't expecting this as well

I think Furudate might be planning to do those 2 matches back-to-back to prepare us to the eventual match between Karasuno and Nekoma as the big one in this championship

I felt them as a team more in this chapter than in their last couple of matches, by the way. It'll suck if they don't get to play against Karasuno in the end...

I do think Inarizaki will win at least one set in this match. Maybe this next one already, if these are 3-set matches instead of 5. Furudate made that point about Inarizaki exhausting Karasuno's techniques before striking back (that with them having to develop new attacks on the fly to surprise, like the Daichi back attack)

Chase17

Caught up on the last couple chapters. The Tanaka chapter/winning point was excellent.

Wasn't expecting to jump to Nekoma but I'm into it. Definitely feels like we will get the dumpster battle. Series has done a good of getting me to like Nekoma as a team a lot.

It happened, finally we seen Kenma level up his social rank with Tora! Also that yelling and their random fighting moments, surprising and exciting.

Dont know why Furudate did a Karasuno CP for a Nekoma chapter...

Chase17

Enjoyable flashback. More Kenma is always interesting. Even getting into a fight! The Mario Kart reference when talking about getting lapped was funny.

GhostBed

Loving these Nekoma chapters. Fukunaga finally spoke!! Hoping he gets fleshed out soon.

My guess for this Nekoma match is that they'll lose the second set and then we'll get to watch the third set in full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom