• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

I just completed New Challenger, so I want to know if I have anything else I need to watch before finally beginning on Rising?

Nordicus

If you have already watched Champion Road and Mashiba vs. Kimura (should have done these before New Challenger, but it's never too late) then you're good to go

Necrovex

If you have already watched Champion Road and Mashiba vs. Kimura (should have done these before New Challenger, but it's never too late) then you're good to go

Yeah, I didn't even know they existed until right after I searched the web for my answers on Ippo!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That last episode was incredible, tears in my eyes right now, hands down the best punch in the entire series.

Cwarrior

Hajime no ippo 24

So much heart so much sadness damn the shit nekota-san and yukie are going through is dark, it's uplifting how they don't let the card fate dealt them keep there spirits down.

Nekota is one crazy badass mofo and theses fights & everything in this flash back arc is brutal.

Hajime no ippo 25

That was fucking insane what an Incredibly beautiful ending to a Season.

Best season ending episode ever.

Insane rib destroying punch

Nordicus

In light of that last arc, a lot of Ippo's previous matches have begun to look more emotional to me. The multitude of times when Kamogawa is almost considering throwing the towel, or putting almost blind faith on Ippo during his toughest moments, I feel like Kamogawa's imagining that it's him on that ring, and Ippo's fighting exactly as hard as he would have.

Too good. TOO GOOD. Damn this show!

Cwarrior

Really like the sound track for riseing.

Trickster- sounds like it's africa up in here

Delusion

Home

He's from the US

Looking over you

also found animation of takamura trying to get at david eagle funny.

bb962b2ea6b4209c98411fd40b35500c.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, finished Rising. I found it the weakest season of Ippo so far, with the exception of the Kamogawa arc at the end. In terms of general break-downs;

The Shimabukuro match was okay, but had a number of problems. The first is that it just goes on waay too long for such a minor fight. Shimabukuro's back-story is reasonable, yeah, it's interesting seeing Ippo fight someone who's actually shorter and possibly harder hitting, basically himself++, but it just goes on soo long with all the "bottom of the ocean" stuff, which, to be frank, didn't make for such interesting fight scenes. Second problem is that the resolution is just boring. Ippo just beats Shimabukoro's fists to death with his head. Wow, nice. A Woman's Battle was actually pretty good as a comedy/breather episode, one of my favourites, so that was nice.

The Aoki arc was actually great. I loved the brief but meaningful backstories provided, the expansion of Aoki and Tomiko who are great supporting characters, I thought the fight scenes managed to provide an excellent twist on the concept of a "joke" fight. The only bullshit was that it was a draw. That was a plot loss if I ever saw one, given Aoki always seemed to have the upper hand. It also seemed like a kick in the teeth for the "hard work" ethos of the series. Ippo always seems to get somewhere by trying harder, but Aoki does the same thing? Nope denied lol. You only get places if you're a Takamura. I wasn't expecting Aoki to go on to be titan of boxing, that'd be too much, but he should have got his dues. A narrow victory to take the title and then a loss on his first or second defence would have been satisfying, fair, and also provided a lot of opportunity for comedy between Aoki and Kimura. That said, again, I mostly liked this arc, and Imae was a great and believable mini-antagonist, and Aoki a great stand-in protagonist.

The Sawamura arc was a big let-down. Two reasons: firstly, Sawamura just feels like "Here's Bryan Hawk again, but this time for Ippo". Same psycho thing, same "hunger" even if Sawamura's is changed to meat instead of women. They changed Sawamura's boxing style from Hawk's, but it's basically just Miyata meets Saeki anyway and not really anything that new or interesting. Also, I don't like the "psycho" boxers in Ippo as antagonists anyway. They're pretty boring, in all honesty. They breach my suspension of disbelief in Ippo as a realistic picture of boxing (I know it isn't, but my suspension of disbelief doesn't. :p ). Second thing is that the whole plot point of the match was stupid. Like, the whole point of the Dempsey Roll thing from earlier was that it was best against a retreating opponent - it didn't work against Sendo because Ippo couldn't make him retreat. Now, suddenly, a retreating opponent is its weakness? Once you allow for that, it still remains stupid because Sawamura literally just owned Ippo for however many rounds, and then takes an upgrade in stupid by falling for the same upgraded Dempsey move twice. Also, this fight goes on for so damn long. One of the things I loved about Hajime no Ippo was that it tended to be quite snappily paced. Here, we have about three episodes worth of "Oh the noes! Ippo is deaded!" before Ippo suddenly wasn't deaded. Disappointing antagonist, disappointing fight, goes against previously established material, lasts too long, generally meh. Only upside was that Sawamura's music theme is fucking sweet. Oh, and Volg came back, which I liked because Sendo even managing to take him points was some bullshit given the disparity between Volg and Sendo in their fights against Ippo. Volg should have nailed Sendo and taken the Championship, so it was nice even just seeing him out of retirement.

Empowering Words was again a really nice, touching episode. While Rising didn't really deliver on the fights, the character pieces for the supporting characters like Ippo's mother, Aoki and Umezawa are great. Itagaki's development isn't as interesting as Geromichi's just because Itagaki is pretty 'nilla, but hey, best of luck to Umezawa. The fishing competition episode is good, it's nice to see extra stuff on Yagi who was a bit abandoned sometimes as a supporting character. Perhaps not quite as sharp or witty as A Woman's Battle, but I still enjoyed it.

The Eagle arc is more meh. Aoki and Kimura get dealt bum hands again. There's definitely a fair bit of ground between "Ippo-level" and "totally incompetent", but Aoki and Kimura keep getting shoved down to "totally incompetent"; they keep getting silly plot losses in fights they should have been much more competitive in. Aoki in particular felt almost Flanderized in this, which was so strange coming off the Aoki-Imae arc earlier, but here his fight was a joke, but an unfunny one at that. Miyata's fight is interesting set-up for something I'm presuming will happen later (I've never read the manga) but didn't really add to anything at this stage. Takamura vs. Eagle was just dull. Takamura suffers from Superman syndrome - his fights are super boring to watch because you know he'll always win. Also, here, he just shouldn't have won. It's established from the Hawk fight he struggles to go multiple rounds at weights below his norm, yet somehow here he's in god mode and can apparently knock people out... while blind. Ugh. I genuinely wanted Eagle to win this fight, more likeable character and more interesting fighter to watch.

The Kamogawa arc is absolutely great, and I have nothing bad to say about it. Genuinely great way to end the season and redeemed a lot of the earlier stuff.

Necrovex

From what I have read, the manga starts to enter a downward spiral from this point on. I'll continue to watch my Ippo, since I love it, but I would advise caution henceforth.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
From what I have read, the manga starts to enter a downward spiral from this point on. I'll continue to watch my Ippo, since I love it, but I would advise caution henceforth.

Really? Aww, that's such a shame. I'd really enjoyed Ippo until the recent arcs, been one of my favourite shonen by far. Had much better pacing than HunterxHunter and much better character writing than Shingeki no Kyojin.

Not at all, the manga has stayed consistently the great across the years. It's just that most people went from reading 25 years worth of material to having to wait for new chapters that seem to come out months in between each other due to the scanlators and you really start to notice that Morikawa is a really really slow story teller. He takes his time so each chapter doesn't have much content in it

Hard to maintain enthusiasm once you've caught up

I usually go back once a year or so and catch up in bulk. Much better that way and the story flows as good as ever

I'm up to date with the manga, the problem is that some fights aren't as great as past ones, but they are still soooo good.

It also starts to be a lot about Itakagi for a while. I think the newest chapters have been really interesting, I can't wait to see what happens.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not at all, the manga has stayed consistently the great across the years. It's just that most people went from reading 25 years worth of material to having to wait for new chapters that seem to come out months in between each other due to the scanlators and you really start to notice that Morikawa is a really really slow story teller. He takes his time so each chapter doesn't have much content in it

I usually go back once a year or so and catch up in bulk. Much better that way and the story flows as good as ever

I'm not sure that's just from lack of exposure. I basically marathon'd the whole of the Ippo anime over the course of two weeks, and fights definitely got more drawn with worse pacing by Rising compared to earlier. If they're doing a direct 2 volumes = 1 episode or some such, then it would seem to me like that's probably a problem that came from the manga. If they're not, could be a poor adaptation, though.

Nordicus

Like, the whole point of the Dempsey Roll thing from earlier was that it was best against a retreating opponent - it didn't work against Sendo because Ippo couldn't make him retreat. Now, suddenly, a retreating opponent is its weakness?
Around the time Rising ended I started reading the manga from beginning, and while it might've changed a bit by Sendo's match, beating a retreating opponent is not the point of Dempsey Roll.

Both Date and Ponchai had one similar quality that hindered Ippo: they would not go down from single big hits or short combos, and that was often what Ippo used to deliver most damage. Date had the experience to pull off deliberate "soft block" and had tremendous willpower, and Ponchai was naturally top tier in defense and fortitude even in his country where it'd really be put to the test, and had a more instinctual type of soft block.
Ippo developed the Dempsey Roll so that he would drill through the soft block and damage resistance by being too fast, strong and unrelenting for them.

foxuzamaki

Not what I heard, I heard it has some fights there arent as good, and one frustrating one ippo shouldnt have had that much trouble with, but for the most part, stays amazing

Necrovex

I'm up to date with the manga, the problem is that some fights aren't as great as past ones, but they are still soooo good.

It also starts to be a lot about Itakagi for a while. I think the newest chapters have been really interesting, I can't wait to see what happens.

I am extremely happy to be proven wrong. I'll still stick to the anime, until the manga is complete. I learned the hard way not to watch the anime and read the manga mid-way through it (QQ Berserk QQ).

I'm not sure that's just from lack of exposure. I basically marathon'd the whole of the Ippo anime over the course of two weeks, and fights definitely got more drawn with worse pacing by Rising compared to earlier. If they're doing a direct 2 volumes = 1 episode or some such, then it would seem to me like that's probably a problem that came from the manga. If they're not, could be a poor adaptation, though.
I don't think you can relate the pacing of the Anime to the manga

Some fights weren't the most interesting in the last ten volumes (but it has picked up a lot recently) where it felt like the story wasn't moving forward enough, but at the point the Anime is up to none of those problems should exist

The manga's pacing has been consistent over the years.

Won

Well I already called it "stalling" in this thread. It's not really a downward spiral, there is still great stuff in there, just none of the characters are allowed to progress for a very long time. And that got kinda frustrating.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

I disagree, I think it's still highly entertaining, some great fights after the anime. But there are some aspects I don't like as much.

Manga spoilers:
For example, the outcome of the fights is getting too predictable: Ippo and Takamura always win (although I haven't read the latest chapters), Aoki and Kimura always fail to win. I get that it's part of their story, plans of quitting etc, but I don't like it. Also I kind of feel like their fights aren't really taken seriously anymore, like they're just a couple of losers who are there to be laughed at. They've always provided comedy, but also had some serious moments, and I think the balance was better before. On the other hand, Itagaki's story is consistently getting better, would love to see his fights animated.

fertygo

The hypothetical S4 still/will have some great fight that I looking forward to, for hypothetical S5 material though... welp.

Meteorain

Holy shit, there's already an anime production of the David Eagle - Takamura fight?

Damn, time to see the God-beast take his second title belt in motion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really feel like Takamura needs to lose a fight. At the moment he's just boring to watch because there's no doubt about the outcome.

foxuzamaki

I really feel like Takamura needs to lose a fight. At the moment he's just boring to watch because there's no doubt about the outcome.

things ive read from comments in youtube videos in the past
takamaru is undefeated, atleast so far currently in the manga aIthough this was months ago I read this) and considered by the author of the manga, pound for pound, the strongest in the series

Won

He only had two proper fights so far. Bit early for such demands.:/

I do agree that fights that don't involve the Takamura/Ippo/Miyata set can be more interesting to read and watch since the outcome is more open, but that's how Hajime no Ippo works. For the most part you always know who is gonna win and it's more about how the characters get there.

rugioh

Banned
Dang I didn't think the season would be that short... And its a bit of a downer to hear people saying the manga is hit or miss too. I'll still try to check it out at some point though.

YaGaMi

Finally finished Rising. Now the long wait for another season :(

How much material is available and how many eps can they make based on it?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Finally finished Rising. Now the long wait for another season :(

How much material is available and how many eps can they make based on it?

I think they're around chapter 550 in the anime, the manga is at 1050 as of now. So yeah, a lot. :)

fertygo

The problem with Ippo/Takamura fight after Eagle's fight isn't they so predictable,

Manga spoiler

they stuck with fighting fodder.. so of course they got the easy win, the author not even pretending for Takamura, he pretty much stuck on his weight class and that's the plot point.. Its thousand time worse for Ippo's fight that pretty much not having relevant fight until the very recent match.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The problem with Ippo/Takamura fight after Eagle's fight isn't they so predictable,

Manga spoiler

they stuck with fighting fodder.. so of course they got the easy win, the author not even pretending for Takamura, he pretty much stuck on his weight class and that's the plot point.. Its thousand time worse for Ippo's fight that pretty much not having relevant fight until the very recent match.

Been a while since I read it, but IIRC Ippo did run into trouble with some of the fights, even though they may have been fodder on paper. But yeah, the most recent one looks like it could be a turning point in that regard.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Would it really take that long? Takamura basically picked up two of them in more or less a single season's worth of episodes.

I2amza

There is one fight in the manga, that hasn't been animated yet, that is absolute hot garbage.
Ippo VS Wolly

Other than that it's currently picking up steam again for Ippo which is great.

Won

Would it really take that long? Takamura basically picked up two of them in more or less a single season's worth of episodes.

Things are moving forward again in the manga, but if you wait for the anime adaption it's probably not gonna happen during our lifetime. :(

foxuzamaki

There is one fight in the manga, that hasn't been animated yet, that is absolute hot garbage.
Ippo VS Wolly

Other than that it's currently picking up steam again for Ippo which is great.

I have heard of that one
apparently wolly is like a super amatuer or something, but ippo was having a hard time with him and apparently the author made it a long fight or something?

This is like Naruto Vs. Sasuke all over again. :-(

Miyata vs Ippo is probably going to be the ending of the manga.

I have heard of that one
apparently wolly is like a super amatuer or something, but ippo was having a hard time with him and apparently the author made it a long fight or something?

It's a kid that lived in the jungle and he's OP as hell, he had only fought 3 fights before Ippo and he nearly destroyed him.

foxuzamaki

Miyata vs Ippo is probably going to be the ending of the manga.

It's a kid that lived in the jungle and he's OP as hell, he had only fought 3 fights before Ippo and he nearly destroyed him.

That is kinda BS, ippo should have more than enough experience to beat him.

That is kinda BS, ippo should have more than enough experience to beat him.

The whole point was probably to show how insane some prodigies can be, also he was trained by Hawk's trainer which kinda explains that he was well trained even if he was new at boxing.

It's a hated fight because he does shit like jump around the ring and make Ippo think he's flying at some point, it's kind of an odd fight for a manga that tries to take boxing seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom