• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hajime no Ippo: Rising |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the original anime. Still haven't gotten anyone to see it. Nobody I knows wanna touch a boxing anime. I feel alone. Why did I give it a chance when nobody I knows wants to give it one?

vocab

I love the original anime. Still haven't gotten anyone to see it. Nobody I knows wanna touch a boxing anime. I feel alone. Why did I give it a chance when nobody I knows wants to give it one?

It's the sports manga paradox. People think sports, they go I don't like said sport, or if I like sports I'll go outside! If they are anime fans they should at least try it. Its much easier to get people into gambling stuff than sports.

Man, this is some good stuff.
I've never read the manga or watched the older anime.

dafuq.

I'm on volume 67 of the manga. It's kinda slowing down for me guys. I think I'll get to 70 and take a break.

But other news. Ashita no Joe season 1 is almost done being translated. If you like Ippo you should definitely watch Joe when it's finished. It's a landmark Japanese series.

ReiGun

Fight had me like

628x471.jpg

by the end. Shit was crazy.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Looking forward to watching this double episode when I'm off later this week. <3 me some Hajime no Ippo.

O.DOGG

ippo1.gif

That fight was awesome. I haven't read the manga so it's all new to me. Though I knew Ippo would win, watching these episodes had me holding my breath.

Man, this is some good stuff.
I've never read the manga or watched the older anime.

Gotta watch from the beginning man, you will see how he comes up with the Dempsey roll and his fight with Sando is awesome...you are missing a lot, also the comedy in the first season is fucking golden...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Goddammit...

NOW THAT WAS A FIGHT. Fucking heart pumping! I was cheering and moving around like a fucking idiot. DAMN!

NastyBook

Morikawa has an unmatched ability in getting you to respect every opponent
Woli being the ultimate exception to that rule. He is shit and forever will be shit.

I hope the Ippo/Karasawa fight makes it onto this season. Easily Ippo's most complete, competent fight. No undue damage taken, no wasted movements, utter domination of his opponent. It was painful watching him get clowned by Malcolm Gedo after that stellar performance.

You just have to sit them down and make them watch the first episode

I use to swear off sports anime for no real reason, but now I'm a fan (as long as they don't go overboard with supernatural special moves)

People don't know what they like until they try it

woober

I'm absolutely enjoying the art style of these episodes. They're well drawn, full of line and shadow detail, color, and animation. Those facial expressions, too. GIVE ME MORE.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I just started this anime and after the first two episodes I'm sold. This is an amazing love letter to boxing and how the impact of each punch is done soooo well.

woober

I just started this anime and after the first two episodes I'm sold. This is an amazing love letter to boxing and how the impact of each punch is done soooo well.

If you've never seen season 1, it's an absolute must watch. There's so much passion and humor that it's pretty much timeless.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Rising or the first anime series?

You watching Rising? or from the beginning?

If you've never seen season 1, it's an absolute must watch. There's so much passion and humor that it's pretty much timeless.

I'm glad you guys mentioned this, because I started watching rising on Crunchyroll. Wasn't even aware there were previous seasons (though thought it was a little strange with him starting off as champion haha). Still amazing though. Where could I go to watch the older seasons?

I'm glad you guys mentioned this, because I started watching rising on Crunchyroll. Wasn't even aware there were previous seasons (though thought it was a little strange with him starting off as champion haha). Still amazing though. Where could I go to watch the older seasons?

Rising is actually the 3rd season. 1st season is just called Hajime no Ippo and the 2nd season is called New Challenger. 1st season is really, really good. I'm not sure about where you can watch it (legally) online, though. Crunchyroll doesn't seem to have it.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Does anyone know if the fighter at the end of the opening credit is Ippo? If so, does he eventually evolve into that style that's almost Miyata-like or was the animation just done for dramatic flair?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Woli being the ultimate exception to that rule. He is shit and forever will be shit.

I hope the Ippo/Karasawa fight makes it onto this season. Easily Ippo's most complete, competent fight. No undue damage taken, no wasted movements, utter domination of his opponent. It was painful watching him get clowned by Malcolm Gedo after that stellar performance.

I agree with everything in this post. If and when they make another season I hope they omit entirely the Woli and Gedo fights. For a National Champion to be utterly bamboozled for 90% of the fight by joke boxers is embarrassing. Karasawa however almost makes up for it with it being possibly my favourite fight. ippo fighting like a true unstoppable champion devoid of any of his self-doubt was amazing.

Does anyone know if the fighter at the end of the opening credit is Ippo? If so, does he eventually evolve into that style that's almost Miyata-like or was the animation just done for dramatic flair?

That's Ippo doing his Dempsey sway except in reverse. I love it, it makes Ippo look like a frightening bad-ass demon, something you imagine his opponents see.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Concerning the things that happened in the latest episode, with Miyata telling his father to make a match with Ippo happen, I assume the season will end before that story arc starts? Seems kind of odd to leave it hanging like that, since the whole Ippo vs Miyata is pretty significant and brought up several times throughout the manga. I mean, I've read the manga already, but I think it would be pretty frustrating if I was just watching the anime.

Nordicus

Well that's also how New Challenger ended, wasn't it?

Suddenly someone appears and says that they can destroy Ippo's Dempsey Roll and SEASON OVER!

Concerning the things that happened in the latest episode, with Miyata telling his father to make a match with Ippo happen, I assume the season will end before that story arc starts? Seems kind of odd to leave it hanging like that, since the whole Ippo vs Miyata is pretty significant and brought up several times throughout the manga. I mean, I've read the manga already, but I think it would be pretty frustrating if I was just watching the anime.

Manga Spoiler:
What would the point be when they haven't even fought yet, the manga is going to go on for YEARS and I don't expect to see them fight till the very end.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Manga Spoiler:
What would the point be when they haven't even fought yet, the manga is going to go on for YEARS and I don't expect to see them fight till the very end.

The point is people who don't read the manga wouldn't know that, and when I reached that point in the manga I actually thought, for a moment, they WOULD fight. I mean, it's the first time in the story, as far as I remember, that they actually make a decision to fight.

But what I was actually getting at with my earlier post is that I hope this somehow means we're getting another season, aka I'm trying hard trying to find reasons for them to make another season. :(

Anime only guy here, it's pretty dang obvious they aren't going to fight until the end of the series.

Also I'm really sad that I feel absolutely nothing going into this Eagle fight, especially after how insane Battle of Hawk was. Doesn't help that the animation seems really bland compared to New Challenger.

Anime only guy here, it's pretty dang obvious they aren't going to fight until the end of the series.

Also I'm really sad that I feel absolutely nothing going into this Eagle fight, especially after how insane Battle of Hawk was. Doesn't help that the animation seems really bland compared to New Challenger.

A lot of hype about Hawk battle was that Hawk was evil as fuck, also how much Takamura struggled because of his weight.

The fight is awesome anyways, you'll feel the hype when it starts.

The point is people who don't read the manga wouldn't know that, and when I reached that point in the manga I actually thought, for a moment, they WOULD fight. I mean, it's the first time in the story, as far as I remember, that they actually make a decision to fight.

But what I was actually getting at with my earlier post is that I hope this somehow means we're getting another season, aka I'm trying hard trying to find reasons for them to make another season. :(

They should make another season becasue this is fucking HAJIME NO IPPO.

lol Itagaki arcs.

Won

If they do another season I really hope they jump ahead a few hundred chapters and skip all the stalling in the manga. :/

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm interested in this. I just want all of this to result in another Victorious Boxers for PS4.

NEO0MJ

Man, Takamura can be a real douche at times. Though the series never shied away from saying that getting away with cheating or ungentlemanly-like behavior is the heart of sports.

Nordicus

I'll admit that I never expected Takamura to return the favor anyway, but boy was I rooting for Eagle to give a surprise counter with Takamura targeting his bloody eye exclusively

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom