• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 3 is now 10 years old

Bioshocker

The peak of Xbox 360 in some ways. Well, one of its high points at least. The movie should've released that fall or the following Spring to have maximum impact.

TheChits

One of my favorite games ever and certainly one of my most played. That amount of content in that game is staggering and forge mode still impresses me to this day. It really was Bungie at their finest

LordOfChaos

Halo felt more magical then, I'm not sure how much of it is me having been ten years younger, and how much is the tone and the music and the religious undertones.

Raptomex

My first 360 game. I remember the commercials and that cool miniature set they had up on the website to market the game. I also remember it being the first game where I was disappointed in its length. I beat it the day I got it.

Trago

Probably my favorite Halo game. The game I put the most hours into on the Xbox 360. So many memories. My little brother and I spent so many hours using Forge and downloading custom maps, Griff ball, CTF, Slayer.

Amazing goddamn soundtrack! Some of my favorites:

Never Forget
One Final Effort
This Is The Hour

BEST multiplayer map!
maxresdefault.jpg

I love this game.

Halo felt more magical then, I'm not sure how much of it is me having been ten years younger, and how much is the tone and the music and the religious undertones.

Probably also the artstyle too.

It made something like a terrifying Elite stabbing another alien seem artistic rather than gorey/brutal
TruthDeath-large.jpg

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I. love. this. game.

Would have been even bigger were it not for MW

This. I remember one night playing Halo 3 and asking some of my friends if they were preordering Modern Warfare. They all said no. I later got the RROD on my Xbox 360 and had to send off my console for repairs. When I got my 360 back a few weeks later, every single one of them had switched over to Modern Warfare. Not only that, I had more friends buy a 360 to play Modern Warfare. Nobody ever went back to Halo 3.

Madness

qWEZN.jpg

When people talk about concurrent users for PubB being 1.3 million and you see that 10 years ago Halo 3 had similar numbers on Xbox 360 on Xbox Live. I think launch week Reach had surpassed Halo 3 but no way to verify beyond Bungie saying it.

quPcC1e.jpg

Launch night, week and month was amazing. Everything about this game. The Starry Night and Beli3ve commercial. The trailer we got at E3 with the music. Then the first gameplay trailer the next year. I went in blind. Waited 6 hours on launch night at a FutureShop and saw college professors, high school friends,etc. First glimpse of the Sierra-117 level on a 70" Sony SXRD someone was playing.

So glad the fight was finished on a good note. Will never have anything like the trilogy and Reach again in my life. But hey, there is a shitty Halo 5 forge playlist to look to.

Detective

qWEZN.jpg

When people talk about concurrent users for PubB being 1.3 million and you see that 10 years ago Halo 3 had similar numbers on Xbox 360 on Xbox Live. I think launch week Reach had surpassed Halo 3 but no way to verify beyond Bungie saying it.

quPcC1e.jpg

Launch night, week and month was amazing. Everything about this game. The Starry Night and Beli3ve commercial. The trailer we got at E3 with the music. Then the first gameplay trailer the next year. I went in blind. Waited 6 hours on launch night at a FutureShop and saw college professors, high school friends,etc. First glimpse of the Sierra-117 level on a 70" Sony SXRD someone was playing.

So glad the fight was finished on a good note. Will never have anything like the trilogy and Reach again in my life. But hey, there is a shitty Halo 5 forge playlist to look to.

Those were great games and an amazing era.

Reach had also amazing numbers. 900k a year after release.

Bungie man, everything was memorable. Even lines like were it so easy, bet you can't stick it. I need a weapon. Cortana was also amazing. Everything Halo was fabulous.

Toa TAK

Banned
I was in 7th grade. Never had custom games as fun as I did in Halo 3, especially with Forge changing the way they were played. Good campaign and multiplayer and to this day I still utterly suck at it. But damn if Lone Wolves isn’t fun regardless.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
The best Halo campaign. The encounter design is the best we've ever seen it, and the scale. Hoo boy, the scale.

My bet is that will get a Halo 3 + ODST Anniversary in 2019.

Peltz

I was in college at the time. It was a fantastic experience. The story was all over the road, but I didn't care because the gameplay was so fun.

You know, I always considered myself to not be a very big Halo fan, but damn if I didn't spend hundreds of hours on Halo 3. Played it for years.

Halo 3 custom games were literally one of the best things about last generation. It was so unique to consoles.

I also distinctly remember there being like 5 different commercials for the game. It was ridiculous. Its launch was truly an event.

Cruxist

Man, I was in high school when this came out. Bought copies for me and my buddies since they weren't old enough to buy M rated games yet. Spent sooooooo much time in multiplayer online and in custom games. Also the last game where I shit-talked people online. Realized I was being an ass. Tanked my Xbox live rep.

MANGOD

Banned
Not having this get the remaster treatment especially seeing as the x could run this in native 4k is a travesty PHIL!

Happy anniversary. I remmeber my first playthrough being marred by playing co-op with my Gears of War stan co-worker who hated it, lmao.

zeemumu

So many memories of playing in custom zombie and griffball maps in the forge, making the elephant flip, getting all the skulls, etc. This was also my first introduction to non-MMO competitive multiplayer. Up until that point I'd never used Xbox Live so I mainly played Halo against either my friends or against powerful bots, and it showed when I was destroying everyone in lone wolf slayer.

I don't feel old but now I'm sad.

The hype for this game was incredible. I don't know that I've ever seen something quite like it.

I didn't even play Halo 1 and 2 because I didn't have original Xbox, and even I got pretty excited.

I remember being absolutely blown away by the video recording features in the game. I made hundreds of clips. WAY ahead of it's time, there.

ChazGW7

I wish Bungie would make another Halo game but I guess we are destined to be stuck with Destiny.

It just wouldn't be the same. Different Bungie, different era. Cherish those memories!

So many memories...

making the elephant flip

Oh my god yes! I remember reading that on gamefaqs when I was at school, coming home and telling all my friends to get in a lobby with me so I can show them something epic. So good.

RdN

I don't think I'll ever get as much hyped for a game as I was with Halo 3.

That midnight launch was epic, went through the entire night without sleeping and the next day at work as a pain! But, sooo much worth it!

The_Shepherd

Neo Member
Got this back when I was only in 8th grade. My brother and I bought Crackdown day 1 just to play the Beta.

Wish I had my 360 today would've like to hope back on and play through the campaign again. I love the campaign, it's probably my favorite of the Halo games (didn't play 5.) The Ark and the Covenant are still two of my favorite levels in any single player campaign.

I wish Bungie would make another Halo game but I guess we are destined to be stuck with Destiny.

If theres one thing i like about destiny, its how much it feels like a halo game in terms of gunplay, enemy behavior and design, and basically just an all around evolution of halo.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This commercial hyping up a battle that never happens will never cease to piss me off
The ads not being reflective of what's in the game, even up to Halo 5, has been kinda annoying. I still want that gritty ass ODST game from the commercials.

Fantastic game. This is the Halo game I hold as the standard in terms of Content and said quality of content. It was IMO the most impactful Xbox 360 game. What t did in terms of game creation tools on console and the monstrous single platform numbers it did. This game was an event that at the launch of this game I was too young to appreciate.

I picked this game up a couple years after It released and I sunk hours into it still. I learned to appreciate it even more as subsequent sequels and a prequel released. So many awesome memories of doing LASO campaign with friends and that legendary ending cutscene hits.

Forkball

Incredible game. It really felt like an event as the ad campaign was excellent and it was more anticipated than even Halo 2. The forge was a blast my friends made so many wacky levels and rule sets that those matches took precedent. I haven't touched a Halo game since though. Playing online by myself just wouldn't be the same.

Monocle

Couldn't stand the SP of it. But MP was good.

Campaign was Terrible though.
Guess again. The narrative leaves something to be desired but the level design and combat of the 4 - 5 strongest missions are some of the best in the medium. Insane replayability.

You can literally go through a level like The Ark 100 times and never run out of new strategies and interesting tricks to try. That's what you get from a developer of Bungie's pedigree. Halo's sandbox gameplay has always reserved its greatest rewards for players who think outside the box. I.E. not treating the games like vanilla corridor shooters. Halo is the opposite of scripted on-rails one-and-done rental fodder.

Unlimited shenanigans are possible and highly recommended. Drive a vehicle indoors. Drop-carry weapons to make a stockpile before a major battle. Exploit the physics to hop onto Scarabs early or launch yourself across an entire outdoor area with a hammer and a crate. Climb walls with a chopper. Do a speed run with a co-op buddy. Give 4 marines a fuel rod gun each, load them onto a tank, and drive into the fray. Get creative.

Got this back when I was only in 8th grade. My brother and I bought Crackdown day 1 just to play the Beta.

Wish I had my 360 today would've like to hope back on and play through the campaign again. I love the campaign, it's probably my favorite of the Halo games (didn't play 5.) The Ark and the Covenant are still two of my favorite levels in any single player campaign.

It's remarkable that Halo 1-3 are so damn memorable that people can just refer to levels by their name rather than saying "the one with the 2 scarabs" and most people who have played the games would know exactly what level they are referring to.

Blam

This was and I believe was the most active community I've ever seen for a game. I remember just playing MM then getting a random Custom Games invite, and being in there for hours and hours on end playing with people across the world.

It made everything seem connected in a way it was pretty unreal. I mean Destiny has sorta gotten a sorta similar vibe. But nothing along the lines of Halo 3's Launch and just the entire year it was out and the years after.

Top Bottom