• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

GhaleonEB

WARNING - HALO 3: ODST HAS LEAKED, SEVERE RISK LEVEL OF SPOILERS - WARNING

28twg8y.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H3-ODST_controllercard_2.jpg

Note: Please use this thread to discuss news about ODST and Reach. Please do NOT use it for MP Halo 3 discussion. I will be posting the official ODST thread on the 7th.

Updates

8-27 | New Bungie.net stats and other features for ODST previewed on, um, Bungie.net. Holy shit.

8-27 | Ton of new gameplay videos out today, including the reveal of a new (sort-of) enemy, the Engineer. (Thanks Kibbles, for the link round up.)

8-25 | Bungie releases the second ODST vidoc, "Bip. Bap. Bam.", which focuses on ODST's Firefight mode.

8-24 | Bungie.net posts the final in-depth article on the new MP maps, Heretic

8-22 | Gamestop pre-order bonus ad. Just...just watch.

8-21 | Bungie.net goes in-depth on Longshore

8-19 | Bungie.net unveils a new Firefight map, Rally Point
8-19 | Bungie.net goes in-depth on Citadel

8-12 | Previews of the last three Halo 3 maps, Citadel, Heretic and Longshore, are out. 1up | IGN | TeamXBox. Videos here: GameVideos | IGN. A ton of new pics of the maps, some Firefight action and the new stats pages included in the articles.

7-30 | Vidoc: "Desperate Measures" released | Bungie.net link | Marketplace Link

7-27 | Halo 3 ODST is DONE.
7-27 | Round-up of previews from the recent London event.

6-4 | Bungie has rolled out a series of updates on ODST at bungie.net: Meet the Squad (Intro to main characters)| Feet First (Weapons & Tools) | Drop Into Firefight (All about Firefight)
6-4 | Gamespot has a ODST feature up.
6-2 | New Bungie Podscast, focused on ODST. B.net story here, direct download here.
6-2 | Replay of the ODST demo Joseph Staten gave to IGN. Required viewing. Here.

Original Post Below:

E3 Announcement Overview

newhero.jpg

Halo 3 ODST Project Page, including trailer, screens, etc. Pretty deep site. Lots of VERY LARGE screens.
  • Release date: September 22
  • Price: $60
  • Collector's Edition price: $100 (with extra controller, see pic below)
  • Includes Beta to Halo: Reach MP Beta
  • New co-op mode

Collector's Edition, $100. Game + controller.

custom_1243894692415_Halo_Shock_Bundle_front_01.jpg

Drop feet first into a new way to play Halo with the cooperative campaign mode, Firefight.
Form a squad with up to four of your friends over System Link or Xbox LIVE and put your skills to the ultimate test against the invading Covenant war machine for glory, high scores, and achievements.
Do battle in multiple environments, on foot or in vehicles, and against increasingly difficult waves of Covenant attackers while Halo 3's skull modifiers progressively activate to up the ante.
After the Firefight, relive and review every last kill you earned and see how your high scores and stats stack up against your friends' and the community overall using Bungie.net's persistent online stats and Firefight leaderboards.​

Halo: Reach project page (right now, just the teaser trailer)

Release date: 2010

Kibbles said:
Some ODST pics...

Kibbles said:
We need stills/gifs from the trailer.

Until then, here are some better versions of some pics. I haven't resized them myself, but they are from GameSpot, which surprisingly doesn't have watermarks. They are missing a few though...

954261_20090601_790screen001.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen002.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen003.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen004.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen005.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen006.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen007.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen008.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen009.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen010.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen011.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen012.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen013.jpg

954261_20090601_790screen014.jpg

angelfly

When will Bungie ever do something new and unrelated to Halo? Wasn't that the reason they split from MS in the first place?

Oozer3993

McHuj said:
I don't believe it's been officially stated, but Reach is a FPS, right?

The only info we have on Reach right now is that it comes out 2010 and that ODST will include an invitation to a Multiplayer Beta for it that starts in early 2010. We don't know what kind of game it is yet.

GhaleonEB

Timan said:
So no coop, just a horde type mode?

The game has straight-up four-player co-op, ala Halo 3, and a Horde mode called Firefight, and the full Halo 3 feature set (including all MP maps and three additional). Both campaign and Firefight are compatable with saved films, screens and modifiable with skulls similar to Halo 3's campaign.

Drop feet first into a new way to play Halo with the cooperative campaign mode, firefight.
Form a squad with up to four of your friends over System Link or Xbox LIVE and put your skills to the ultimate test against the invading Covenant war machine for glory, high scores, and achievements.
Do battle in multiple environments, on foot or in vehicles, and against increasingly difficult waves of Covenant attackers while Halo 3's skull modifiers progressively activate to up the ante.
After the Firefight, relive and review every last kill you earned and see how your high scores and stats stack up against your friends' and the community overall using Bungie.net's persistent online stats and Firefight leaderboards.

adg1034

Also, I'm convinced I heard Alan Tudyk and Adam Baldwin doing some voice acting during the demo, along with the previously-announced Tricia Helfer. But back when these people were supposed to be doing voices for Halo 3: Blue/Recon/whatever, Nathan Fillion was on that list, too. Let's hope he shows up soon.

LCfiner

I.... I liked the ODST demo.

am I alone in this?

I think the one concern I had that was allayed was how the ODST was able to take down a brute and some grunts on his own and not have to use stealth or whatever. he's not the MC but he's still tough.

And I really like the idea of playing through the story via flashbacks of other characters. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Reach being developed by Bungie was a surprise for me. looking forward to some screens and videos of that one later this year (hopefully)

Roquentin

adg1034 said:
Also, I'm convinced I heard Alan Tudyk and Adam Baldwin doing some voice acting during the demo, along with the previously-announced Tricia Helfer. But back when these people were supposed to be doing voices for Halo 3: Blue/Recon/whatever, Nathan Fillion was on that list, too. Let's hope he shows up soon.
I think you can hear him in the trailer.

Chinner

Banned
I just downloaded the ODST trailer and in the trailer for a second you see a wall with "Remember Reach" spray painted on it.

Oozer3993

h522.jpg

What is that guy on the far left? The other 4 could be Spartans, but that guy on the far left has some other kind of armor. Squad, class based shooter? He's the heavy, guy on the far right is the sniper?

StUnNeR H2K

So... whats up with the high Spartan numbers in the Reach trailer?

Sierra 320 & Sierra 259?

130 was the highest number confirmed from the first class...

This must be a new class of Spartan II's? Other than Nicole-458 no Spartan number has been that high(big). Spartan III's don't count since they always have letters next to the numbers, but the program did start in 2531 which was 21 years before Reach.

EDIT: Corrected my statement about Reach happening before Spartan III program.

What I loved about Halo:

Vast rolling landscapes with vehicles and skirmishes splashed out across land and air in epic scenarios.

What I hated about Halo:

Slow corridor based/urban street battles walled into specific timed events.

Oh look what ODST is.

BiasedGamer said:
I think you can hear him in the trailer.
Absolutely heard him, Alan Tudyk and Adam Baldwin without a doubt in my mind. Also I thought the demo was awesome. Loved the drop. Also I'm now sure this'll be a full $59.99 title and I don't mind paying that much at all.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I liked what I saw, especially being able to play what we only got a glimpse of in Halo 2, as well as the new weapons...

And I'm every interested in what Halo: reach is going to turn out to be, especially since it at the very least has multiplayer...

GhaleonEB

giga said:
Question: will ODST multiplayer replace Halo 3's? As in, spartans in multiplayer?
ODST does not have a stand-alone (announced) MP mode. It's a campaign expansion for Halo 3, with the full suite of Halo 3's multiplayer bundled in. The multiplayer that ships with it is Halo 3, with the same feature set and all 24 maps. So people with Halo 3 ODST can play people with regular Halo 3, and it's the same "Halo 3 multiplayer".

The campaign, and the co-op modes such as Firefight are the new stuff (that, and three new MP maps).

LCfiner

SecretBonusPoint said:
What I loved about Halo:

Vast rolling landscapes with vehicles and skirmishes splashed out across land and air in epic scenarios.

What I hated about Halo:

Oh look what ODST is.

oh come on, there's no way you can say what ODST combat is gonna be for the whole game based on that demo.

Spasm

JPBrowncoat said:
Absolutely heard him, Alan Tudyk and Adam Baldwin without a doubt in my mind. Also I thought the demo was awesome. Loved the drop. Also I'm now sure this'll be a full $59.99 title and I don't mind paying that much at all.
Jesus Christ, Bungie, just make a Firefly game already!

SecretBonusPoint said:
What I loved about Halo:

What I hated about Halo:

Oh look what ODST is.

I'm going to have to agree with this.

Even though we've long known that urban combat was the name of the game in ODST, I've always found the Earth-based architecture, environments and combat scenarios among the least interesting in the Halo trilogy. Still, Bungie has more than earned my trust after three excellent games in the series, so I've no reason to doubt their ability to deliver the goods here.

The first person orbital drop sequence was simply awesome as hell, though.

FourDoor

Well I'll say it now before somebody else does.

At least we don't have to buy Crackdown 2 to get into the Halo Reach Beta this time! :D :lol :lol :lol

Xater

~Devil Trigger~ said:
ODST did'nt demo well

It looked boring and outdated.

U am way more interested in Halo: Reach. I am hoping for large scale battles with multiple Spartans.

Liara T'Soni said:
Same, I'm not interested in MW at all.

This is totally biased since I didn't like H3 but the engine just looked especially dated coming after MW2. Everything looks so damn floaty.

Oozer3993 said:
h522.jpg

What is that guy on the far left? The other 4 could be Spartans, but that guy on the far left has some other kind of armor. Squad, class based shooter? He's the heavy, guy on the far right is the sniper?

I personally think the game looks fucking awesome(ODST), and this is after getting sick of Halo 3.

In that image, the second character from the left is a chick for sure.

Especially coming after MW2, this game didn't demo well. The graphics are starting to look dated and the PDZ 'follow-the-waypoints' level design is horrendous. At least there's the Halo 1 pistol.

Top Bottom