• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

FiRez

-viper- said:
Doesn't really look that good.

to be fair is just an expansion of Halo 3, so don't expect much improvement in the graphics department.

about the gameplay: I just hope this time it doesn't feel like playing a FPS underwater, COD4 really ruined the Halo gameplay for me

Oozer3993

sykoex said:
h522.jpg

From left to right: Heavy, Medic, Soldier, Spy, Sniper.

I was just about to post that, no lie lol. And are those Covenant ships in the background?

DevelopmentArrested said:
Especially coming after MW2, this game didn't demo well. The graphics are starting to look dated and the PDZ 'follow-the-waypoints' level design is horrendous. At least there's the Halo 1 pistol.
5030.gif

ODST looks fantastic, and Reach is going to be sweet.

Sai

LCfiner said:
I think the one concern I had that was allayed was how the ODST was able to take down a brute and some grunts on his own and not have to use stealth or whatever. he's not the MC but he's still tough.
I was wondering about that too. I'm sure they had the difficulty down real low. Notch it up to Heroic+ with some skulls and you'd probably have no chance of getting away with that.

Chinner said:
Woah, woah, woah.

Me want.

Especially coming after MW2, this game didn't demo well. The graphics are starting to look dated and the PDZ 'follow-the-waypoints' level design is horrendous. At least there's the Halo 1 pistol.
Yea I have really been looking forward to a snowmobile sim. totally stole the thunder.

Talon

angelfly said:
When will Bungie ever do something new and unrelated to Halo? Wasn't that the reason they split from MS in the first place?
Ask yourself a question: Do you hold your favorite developer to the same standard?

I suppose I'd like to see Infinity Ward try something different like a shooter in a different era, but I don't work or run them so I can't make the decision. They obviously are very good at what they do and extremely successful financially due to it.

Is there something to be said for being creatively risky? Maybe but that trail is ladened with closed studios. I'm sure Factor 5 would be alive and churning out sequels if they had a hit to the level of Halo, FF, Mario, Zelda, etc.

So what I'm saying is that I see this as a rather pointless complaint. How the hell do we know if they're working on something else or not? Also, we know that Bungie is involved, but it's been implied that this may be the big project that the MGS side is doing the heavy lifting on.

I love the idea of the expansion, and the addition of a co-op Horde mode is something I've been wanting since Halo:CE. The fact that it comes with the full Halo 3 suite of tools, and the full H3 multiplayer is just icing on the cake. H3 was graphically surpassed a while ago, but the co-op gameplay is still best in class, and this is gonna be more of the same with a slight twist, so I'm fucking pumped.

If you want brilliant scripted awesome, you've got MW2.
If you want brilliant emergent awesome, you've got ODST.

Everybody wins :D

Raide

Anyone have any ideas what they will do with the MP side for Halo: Reach? <Speculation mode> The book had several Spartans with different skills, I think the MP in Reach could be more of a Battlefield style game than a straight Halo 3 MP mode. </Speculation mode>

Kuroyume

Banned

MW2 didn't demo well either. They guy climbed up ice for like four minutes then he wandered around a snowstorm with his radar gun for like another four mniutes before he got into a fight.

I thought that Bungie were done with Halo..... what happened? Credit crunch hit, and being independent the world suddenly seemed a scarier place where cashing-in felt like the best option?

Not that I mind, bring on Reach! :D

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Most likely the game that will take most of my time. However, that demo felt too much like the boring parts of Halo 2.

TTG

It's like they took the worst parts out of Halo 2 and made a whole game out of it. Yea, I was skeptical, but then he mentioned the pistol... demo redeemed

GhaleonEB

ZROCOOL said:
ODST looks promising,but out dated. hopefully that was an old build.
Aye, the engine is showing its age. Some new effects look to be in place when the bridge blows, but otherwise it looks like Halo 3's engine. Looks good, but by this fall especially it will be dated a bit.

The game really is aimed at the hardcore Halo player. What does everyone bitch about missing from Halo 1? The pistol. It's back. What does everyone bitch about Halo 2? That the infamous E3 2003 demo of open urban combat at night that got scrapped. Now that's in. And I'm guessing most Halo players couldn't pick an ODST out of a lineup, but the hardcore know them well. And everyone complained about the story tell in in Halo 3; that's gotten an overhaul with a new approach. The game is being made by a crew of the Bungie old timers like Staten, and it shows.

It won't appeal to everyone. But to the Halo audience it's aimed at, holy jebus.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
The game is being made by a crew of the Bungie old timers like Staten, and it shows.
Yup. Haters go home.

Kuroyume

Banned
The problem with the demo was the city. It's on the Halo 3 engine but it looks like that second level in Halo 2. It feels too sterile.

GhaleonEB

Added some pics from IGN to the OP. Looks like all of them are at bungie.net, but I'm too lazy to resize them for imbedding. Love these two:

halo-3-odst-20090601013549306_640w.jpg

halo-3-odst-20090601013614790_640w.jpg

TTG

Kuroyume said:
The problem with the demo was the city. It's on the Halo 3 engine but it looks like that second level in Halo 2. It feels too sterile.

"New Mombasa" has always been the weakest in terms art style, IMO.

Anyway, let's get back to the most awesome thing about the Reach game. We'll be fighting elites once again, yay!

As long as Bungie keeps bringing the co-op love I'll keep throwing money at them. Looking forward to hearing more about the Horde mode in ODST.

God Halo effing sukks. Call of Duty is like sooooo much better. You can't even choose your weapin in Halo.

That said, anyone have any ideas as to what Firefight is? I wasn't on the IRC earlier (couldn't figure it out) so I guess I must've missed what some of you have ruminated.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
backflip10019 said:
God Halo effing sukks. Call of Duty is like sooooo much better. You can't even choose your weapin in Halo.

That said, anyone have any ideas as to what Firefight is? I wasn't on the IRC earlier (couldn't figure it out) so I guess I must've missed what some of you have ruminated.
Halo Horde mode with vehicles.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Raide said:
Anyone have any ideas what they will do with the MP side for Halo: Reach? <Speculation mode> The book had several Spartans with different skills, I think the MP in Reach could be more of a Battlefield style game than a straight Halo 3 MP mode. </Speculation mode>

I've been thinking the same thing, either more of a battlefield, or at the very least, a rainbow 6 style squad combat. Either way, hypehypehype.

Surprised this thread is smaller than the other games. Guess it goes to show Microsoft has finally done a good job getting lots of big games when Halo isn't the most talked about game.

I'm super excited for these two games. Halo is still in my top 5 games.

Sai

TTG said:
Anyway, let's get back to the most awesome thing about the Reach game. We'll be fighting elites once again, yay!
Where did you see any Elites? Pretty sure Bungie said a while back that there'd be no Elites to fight against, even the timeline excused 'em.

cjelly said:
"Who loved the Halo 1 pistol?!"

*tumbleweed*
I heard a few cheers. ;/

Crowd response to the Halo-related stuff as a whole didn't seem all that positive though.

DeBurgo

I'm a bit disappointed at ODST, I thought it was going to be a COD-like fast paced tactical war shooter (except in the future). Instead it looks like Halo with more overlay shit.

TTG

Sai said:
Where did you see any Elites? Pretty sure Bungie said a while back that there'd be no Elites to fight against, even the timeline excused 'em.

prequel = elites right? I sure hope so.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
That was about ODST. No word one way or the other on Reach, but they'd have to stretch even harder to explain their absence given the time line.

Sai said:
Hm? If this takes place during the fall of Reach or afterwards, we will encounter and see Elites.

How does the timeline excuse them? I think you're confusing ODST with Reach.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
JPBrowncoat said:
So were Alan Tudyk and Adam Baldwin as random marines/ODSTs. I figured they'd be back as part of the ODST squad. :D

I heard baldwin in the direct feed trailer. Looks like they'll be playing main characters this time around. Awesome.

Nutter

VGChampion said:
Surprised this thread is smaller than the other games. Guess it goes to show Microsoft has finally done a good job getting lots of big games when Halo isn't the most talked about game.

I'm super excited for these two games. Halo is still in my top 5 games.
Nah, Halo is THE most important game, though the usual Halo fans talk about their game in the main thread. And I am sure the sales will show the same.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm kinda surprised at the direction they're going with this. I kinda thought it would be more of a squad based shooter with your ODST squad.

Also kinda disappointed with the way the drop in was interrupted. How fucking epic would it have been to go from a space ship, do the drop in, and go straight into a battle when you land?

StUnNeR H2K

Sorry, but I'm a bit more excited about Halo: Reach at the moment... :D

I did some looking into the communications in the teaser...

Fermion Remote Scanning Outpost (RSO) as in Halo: The Fall of Reach book and was manned by a 3 man crew. The first voice in the trailer is probably Lieutenant J.G. Bill Streeter. The second voice is more than likely the AI named Doppler who was in charge of Gamma Station.

The rest of the voices are unknown as far as I'm concerned. The Spartan numbers are still baffling me, its more than likely another group of trained Spartan II's. It was known that more Spratan II's were trained, but as for them showing up at Reach this is new.

Also here is a Youtube clip I posted of the Halo 2 cutscene that shows the planet Reach.

GhaleonEB said:
Aye, the engine is showing its age. Some new effects look to be in place when the bridge blows, but otherwise it looks like Halo 3's engine. Looks good, but by this fall especially it will be dated a bit.

The game really is aimed at the hardcore Halo player. What does everyone bitch about missing from Halo 1? The pistol. It's back. What does everyone bitch about Halo 2? That the infamous E3 2003 demo of open urban combat at night that got scrapped. Now that's in. And I'm guessing most Halo players couldn't pick an ODST out of a lineup, but the hardcore know them well. And everyone complained about the story tell in in Halo 3; that's gotten an overhaul with a new approach. The game is being made by a crew of the Bungie old timers like Staten, and it shows.

It won't appeal to everyone. But to the Halo audience it's aimed at, holy jebus.
Yup, I said wow when watching the gameplay live. Then wow again when I read the complaint on here.

More info about Firefight from Bungie:

"Drop feet first into a new way to play Halo with the cooperative campaign mode, Firefight. Form a squad with up to four of your friends over System Link or Xbox LIVE and put your skills to the ultimate test against the invading Covenant war machine for glory, high scores, and achievements. Do battle in multiple environments, on foot or in vehicles, and against increasingly difficult waves of Covenant attackers while Halo 3's skull modifiers progressively activate to up the ante.
After the Firefight, relive and review every last kill you earned and see how your high scores and stats stack up against your friends' and the community overall using Bungie.net's persistent online stats and Firefight leaderboards."

Top Bottom