• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 swedish controverstory

eso76

Adding bumpers to the 360 controller means there's some extra real estate for Bungie to play with. Now the left bumper reloads your dual-wielded weapon and the right bumper is the normal reload. What does X do, though? Mum.

Bumpers are nothing more than differently placed black and white buttons..what happened to the flashlight ? I surely hope it's still there...and there must be another way to switch between different kinds of grenades. Directional pad for both, probably.

tombur

Is this the illusive 'mancannon'?

mancannonwtfrt7.jpg

Settra

What is up with all the hate? Even Prine is hating on the graphics. I think it looks great and apluade Bungie for choosing scale over pushing the prettiest polygons the console can handle. Not that Halo 3 is lacking in that area in any way.

scarybore

eso76 said:
Adding bumpers to the 360 controller means there's some extra real estate for Bungie to play with. Now the left bumper reloads your dual-wielded weapon and the right bumper is the normal reload. What does X do, though? Mum.

Bumpers are nothing more than differently placed black and white buttons..what happened to the flashlight ? I surely hope it's still there...and there must be another way to switch between different kinds of grenades. Directional pad for both, probably.

I presume that when not dual wielding, the then free bumper becomes available for grenades. Flashlight probably will go to the dpad if they keep it.

Seiken said:
I jump of my Mongoose and jump in the cannon. Well, I fly. I fly in the air and I get to see hundreads of meetres from above.
I see lots of war under me. X-button will do something special.
I was thinking that the mysterious "Man Cannon" sounds like one of Quake's jump pads to me, with a crazy new name. Though seeing Seiken's post, it sounds like it might be something more than just a Quake ripoff. Has anyone considered a parachute or a glider or something like that?

tombur

Deathcraze said:
I presume that when not dual wielding, the then free bumper becomes available for grenades. Flashlight probably will go to the dpad if they keep it.

I guess thats about right, does the dpad do anything in Halo/2 at the moment?

Frenck

Banned
tombur said:

You can lower your weapon by pressing down on the d-pad in Halo 2. It's purely optical and doesn't have any effects on the gameplay.

It was built in by Bungie to make machinimas like Red Vs. Blue possible.

scarybore

tombur said:

Hmm, I think up on Dpad acts as a second white button to talk to all team mates when playing online but barring that I don't know. Never felt the need to use it basically :p

Edit:

You can lower your weapon by pressing down on the d-pad in Halo 2. It's purely optical and doesn't have any effects on the gameplay.

Heh thats pretty cool.

tombur

Frenck said:

It was built in by Bungie to make machinimas like Red Vs. Blue possible.

They've gone one further with this moviemaker thing then, I wonder if the recorded videos are actually videos saved to the HDD, and not replays running in real time...

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Looks decent but I'm little bit disspointed maybe they should of waited until they got everything set down. But I'm sure it'll look better by 07 E3.

Frenck

Banned
They will be demos or replays. HD video would be a bit too much for the Xbox 360 HDD to handle. I really hope I can change the perspective to 3rd person in these movies, of course I don't expect a full blown movie editor, but some options like different perspectives, zoom or slow motion would be nice.

tombur

Thats what i was thinking, just a replay in which you can control a camera, then the machinima guys can capture the video from the 360.

tombur

D2G said:
I hope it's .dem-files or whatever

PC games has been doing it for years

But how would you transfer it from your 360 onto your PC? You can't at the mo, unless this new Fall Update lets you stick custom game created stuff onto a Datastick...

Dirtbag

possible x features, I bolded the ones I feel are more likely than the rest:

- shield boost (maybe a surge of speed that empties your shields, or maybe a super jump that empties your shields)

- grapple hook (love to see one with real-world physics and swinging mechanics. Tow-lines on viehicles!)

- jet pack (god I hope not)

- parachute (not likely as I expect no fall damage)

- hanglider (shadowrun ripp-off, not likely - doesn't seem Master Chief-ish)

- shield deflect (finally a way to block the damn sword, maybe)

- disarm opponet (who knows)

- take cover (stop and pop?)

- 3rd person view, or new view modes (Suprised Halo doesn't have any tactical view modes or nightvision, etc..)

anybody think of any other?

Dirtbag 504 said:

- shield boost (maybe a surge of speed that empties your shields, or maybe a super jump that empties your shields)

- grapple hook (love to see one with real-world physics and swinging mechanics. Tow-lines on viehicles!)

- 3rd person view, or new view modes (Suprised Halo doesn't have any tactical view modes or nightvision, etc..)

Some kind of cover system, like RR6: Vegas

Dirtbag 504 said:

Tag Team switch with the arbiter? :lol

Dahbomb

I just have a question about the newer control scheme.

So now that Halo 3 can make use of the R/L buttons on the 360 controller and they have been confirmed to be used for dual ammo reloading, how does that impact Grenade type switching? Does the L button now become the new Grenade type switch when you don't have dual wielding?

That would sort of be a minor problem like when you are dual wielding and you need to throw a Plasma grenade but you have a regular grenade equipped. You will need to first drop your weapon, THEN switch your grenade and then throw it as opposed to going into a battle with your grenade switched (before you drop your weapon) and then use it whenever you get the oppurtunity.

Again, very minor but something that is worth noting. What if they put the Grenade switching to the D-pad buttons?

Dirtbag

ToyMachine228 said:
Of those, finding cover seems the most likely to me. Was planned and scrapped from Halo 2 I believe.

I actually doubt its cover mechanics. Doesn't match the speed and gameplay of halo, the levels that we've already seen in magazines obviously aren't designed with cover in mind, and I don't think Bungie would want the direct comparison to Gears of War to go any further.

SantaC

God why are there so many stupid posters over at 1up blaming my country for this leak? They act like EGM/1up owns Bungie and no one else has the right to publish stuff. How low can people sink. I am glad this place is a lot better.

Tieno

Frenck said:
That was the first thing that came to my mind.

It would be silly, cheap and awesome at the same time.
Plus you had Elites using it in Halo 2. Kind of like the plasma sword situation in Halo 1 vs Halo 2.

SantaC said:
God why are there so many stupid posters over at 1up blaming my country for this leak? They act like EGM/1up owns Bungie and no one else has the right to publish stuff. How low can people sink. I am glad this place is a lot better.
It's a matter of national security. The terrorists have won.

GhaleonEB

Dahbomb said:
Again, very minor but something that is worth noting. What if they put the Grenade switching to the D-pad buttons?
that's exactly what I thought when I read about the reloading system (which I really like). Similar to how Gears uses the D-pad to switch weapons.

eso76

Deathcraze said:

ah, of course, i wasn't thinking that you can't fire grenades when dual wielding anyway.

And i surely hope they keep the flashlight, especially since they're making claims about global illumination :)

And the X button will be used to...

RUN

seriously.

Dirtbag

Tieno said:
Plus you had Elites using it in Halo 2. Kind of like the plasma sword situation in Halo 1 vs Halo 2.

It's a matter of national security. The terrorists have won.

Although, it would remove that fun feeling you get in the banshee. Maybe the jetpack is way off... PLEASE! BE WAY OFF! PLEASE

Frenck

Banned
Another suggestion:

Press X = Rollerblade Mode (like the rocket skates in Robocop: TAS)

starlight-express-ElectraStart.jpg

All the cool cyborg gadgets have already appeared in the Robocop franchise...

GhaleonEB

ToyMachine228 said:
If I remember correctly, that was also planned for Halo 2. Halo 2 EGM...I remember reading that over and over and over.
Lots of stuff planned for Halo 2 is going into Halo 3. Realtime reflection on the visor, the mongoose (ATV), global lighting system,
ending :p

tombur

GhaleonEB said:
Lots of stuff planned for Halo 2 is going into Halo 3. Realtime reflection on the visor, the mongoose (ATV), global lighting system,
ending :p

Did Bungie really think the old xbox would pull of a global lighting system...? lol.

The mongoose was planned for Halo 2, but got shafted because it didnt fit into the gameplay. This makes me think... they must have opened up the levels alot more in SP, and maybe your marines have their own Mongooses (that would be so cool)

the chew

I can just imagine some spartans running with their guns lowered, with their feet conforming to the territory. It'll be unreal if that makes it in.

What I would love to see, and what would make maps interesting would be to include weather effects on each map, then randomize them before each game. Probably mentioned before, but that would be insane.

Ceb

SantaC said:
How low can people sink. I am glad this place is a lot better.

Yeah, especially with Scoot being a cocktease about info that may or may not be new, and Stinkles posting "Buy EGM!". Protect the hive!

GhaleonEB

Ceb said:
Yeah, especially with Scoot being a cocktease about info that may or may not be new, and Stinkles posting "Buy EGM!". Protect the hive!
hive? EGM has some exclusive information, from Bungie. Why would scoot or frankie undermine the issue? they don't want scans out, and they certainly don't plan to just post what's in the article before it's published.

IJoel

X Button = Booster Jump

Quake's rocket jump without rockets.

:p

I miss the good ol' days of great Q3A's deathmatches that would get insanely crazy with rocket jumps. Not to undermine's Halo's mp greatness.

subrock

anyone see the man cannon on the bottom right of the second pic. its built into the base... looks like a human version of a gravity lift.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
the chew said:
I can just imagine some spartans running with their guns lowered, with their feet conforming to the territory. It'll be unreal if that makes it in.

What I would love to see, and what would make maps interesting would be to include weather effects on each map, then randomize them before each game. Probably mentioned before, but that would be insane.

...with their guns on their backs/leg clips - I've said it before, but I have to say it again - it's something so simple, yet so cool to see the weapons on the Spartans like that...

And I'm saying again what I predicted earlier - X is for the sprint - it's shown to work well in games like BF2, and recently in Gears... plus it'll help you to not be a sitting duck on foot in the open for snipers...

They already said that weather effects are one of the many, many things missing from the pre-alpha build, so that's already covered...

Ceb said:

You do have to understand that alot of work and planning/scheduling went into this too you know, from both Bungie and EGM/1up... them being pissed is understandable...

tombur

subrock said:
anyone see the man cannon on the bottom right of the second pic. its built into the base... looks like a human version of a gravity lift.

What the hell, did you guys just completely miss the pic i put up a few posts above :lol

mancannonwtfrt7.jpg

subrock

see I think the man cannon is way simpler than that. if you look at the second pic of the base ( top down view) there is a little V-shaped piece of metal with slats in it that you can see air coming out of.

tombur

subrock said:
see I think the man cannon is way simpler than that. if you look at the second pic of the base ( top down view) there is a little V-shaped piece of metal with slats in it that you can see air coming out of.

But i cant imagine it firing someone half way across the map as stated, im thinking the mancannon is going to be less like a grav lift, and more like something which could actually fire you into the air. Frankie, i think, said that we will be surpised when we find out what that 'mancannon' actually is, and forget that this debate ever existed.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
tombur said:
Frankie, i think, said that we will be surpised when we find out what that 'mancannon' actually is, and forget that this debate ever existed.

You will be totally surprised when Frankie shows you the mancannon. And by surprised, I mean horrified.

tombur

urk said:
You will be totally surprised when Frankie shows you the mancannon. And by surprised, I mean horrified.

:lol

I shouldn't have said that really, i was just asking for it =P

3 days, 1000 posts =o... Is it just me or is there a stupid amount of hype for this game.

Dirtbag

tombur said:

3 days, 1000 posts =o... Is it just me or is there a stupid amount of hype for this game.

Its' &%$*ing Halo 3, we haven't even begun to see hype yet! Wait about 6 more months.

GhaleonEB

tombur said:

It's ****ing Halo 3. Two years in development now and all we've gotten is that announcement trailer, which does not reveal any game features. To say there's a lot of people wanting this game is putting it mildly.

I really want to know what's up with destructable/interactive environments. That made a huge impact on H2 over the first game. I hope it's taken up to the next level.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
GhaleonEB said:
It's ****ing Halo 3. Two years in development now and all we've gotten is that announcement trailer, which does not reveal any game features. To say there's a lot of people wanting this game is putting it mildly.

This might have something to do with all the unfufilled hype for Halo 2. I'd rather them work hard on the actual game rather than another bullshot of an E3 demo.

Top Bottom