• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 swedish controverstory

the chew said:
Don't know if its been discussed or not, but does this pic mean chiefs legs conform to the environment? if so, BOOYA!

yakz7.jpg

NOW WE'RE TALKING NEXT GEN

the chew said:
Don't know if its been discussed or not, but does this pic mean chiefs legs conform to the environment? if so, BOOYA!

That and the positioning of the guy on the back of the ATV make me very hopefull that Bungie are paying close attention to the smaller details that can breathe a lot of life into a game.

Prine

Banned
Gameplay sounds amazing, Halo will remain as one of the best FPS franchise ever.

Graphics look kind of ghetto :(

GhaleonEB

Skilotonn said:
It's so funny that this is my favourite pic, but until someone else on another forum pointed it out, I didn't even notice the downed Pelican on the right... heh
whoa whoa whoa......never noticed that. oh. my. :D

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
the chew said:
Don't know if its been discussed or not, but does this pic mean chiefs legs conform to the environment? if so, BOOYA![/IMG]

Francias Castiglione said:
Originally Posted by Tieno:
Those man cannons are going to be a lot of fun for clay pigeon shooting...PULL! Especially now that it may be possible to easily record your own gameplay.

I hope you can melee barrels etc onto the cannon and launch them!

Read the EGM.

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
whoa whoa whoa......never noticed that. oh. my. :D
That can't be just for prettying things up, can it? At least I hope so...

Stinkles said:
Read the EGM.
So it's probably safe to assume this pic of Chief with his legs due to animation and no 'posed'.

Stinkles

sp0rsk said:
He got banned for his hugeass avatar.

His avatar wasn't finished. I think it's unfair to compare scans of his pre-alpha avatar with your finished Sp0rsk avatar.

Stinkles

Tieno said:
That can't be just for prettying things up, can it? At least I hope so...

So it's probably safe to assume this pic of Chief with his legs due to animation and no 'posed'.

I don't think we have ever posed a character for a screenshot. The only "fakery" we do is tell a player to go to a certain spot, so he can be rocketed in his stupid face so that the resulting screenshot will be more awesome. That and we can obviously slow the game down to zero and move the camera around to take the shot at the perfect angle.

And of course we can take shots from the buffer at any resolution.

Scrow said:
cool. i wonder if they're using natural motion's euphoria tech or something similar for that kind of animation.
Lots of games already do that sort of posing to the terrain. Well, their's is probably a little more complex than current and last gen implementations. But that sort of thing was to be one of the new and amazing features in Team Fortress 2 right after Half-Life 1 shipped.

the chew

buckfutter said:
Lots of games already do that sort of posing to the terrain. Well, their's is probably a little more complex than current and last gen implementations. But that sort of thing was to be one of the new and amazing features in Team Fortress 2 right after Half-Life 1 shipped.

lots of games such as?

the chew said:
lots of games such as?

Shadow of the Colossus is a good example for something that produces similar looking results (judging from just this one small picture). It uses inverse kinematics blended with lots of keyframed animations, and physics too. Simple inverse kinematic approaches have been used for raising legs on uneven terrain in games as far back as Ocarina of Time. Probably even earlier. IK was used for the movements of Warthog passengers back in Halo 1, actually. Or that's what I remember hearing.

Again, this is likely quite a bit more complex than older solutions, but it isn't a brand new concept only possible with next gen systems or anything. I remember a bunch of people got wowed in some old Resistance thread because the spider tank things raised their legs on uneven terrain. Do people not really pay attention to the games they play?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
buckfutter said:
Shadow of the Colossus is a good example for something that produces similar looking results (judging from just this one small picture). It uses inverse kinematics blended with lots of keyframed animations, and physics too. Simple inverse kinematic approaches have been used for raising legs on uneven terrain in games as far back as Ocarina of Time. Probably even earlier. IK was used for the movements of Warthog passengers back in Halo 1, actually. Or that's what I remember hearing.

Again, this is likely quite a bit more complex than older solutions, but it isn't a brand new concept only possible with next gen systems or anything. I remember a bunch of people got wowed in some old Resistance thread because the spider tank things raised their legs on uneven terrain. Do people not really pay attention to the games they play?

Yeah, this has been around for quite a while, yet I can't bring too many examples to mind - DOA3 and onwards definetely have it, Ninja Gaiden definetely has it, and I'm not sure, but I believe the Splinter Cells have it as well...

But really though, you though Bungie posed models for the pics? They've always said that they get a bunch of guys together and while they play, they make the shots - they've never said that they've done something like open up the game on a dev kit and manually pose each part of their body or something...

GhaleonEB

Skilotonn said:
Yeah, this has been around for quite a while, yet I can't bring too many examples to mind - DOA3 and onwards definetely have it, Ninja Gaiden definetely has it, and I'm not sure, but I believe the Splinter Cells have it as well...

But really though, you though Bungie posed models for the pics? They've always said that they get a bunch of guys together and while they play, they make the shots - they've never said that they've done something like open up the game on a dev kit and manually pose each part of their body or something...
It does crack me up that every time something good is pointed out in the pics - and there's a whole lotta that - someone tries to dash it. Cool character position? It's posed. Amazing textures and lighting? Too zoomed in/out/blurry to compare to anything in the history of anything to tell.

None of the screens Bungie has ever released have had posed shots, and I don't see them starting now.

Skilotonn said:

Are you addressing me with the second parargraph? I never said they posed the models. I was just pointing out that it wasn't some new advance; basically the opposite. You're right with the bit about it being hard to think of good examples. Good solutions tend to blend into the background, I guess.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
AM2 were doing legs that moved to match the slant of the environment and so on back in Virtua Fighter 3.

That was, what? 96/97?

Those with a DC and a copy of VF3tb load it up and stick the stage with the boats on, and watch how the legs stay on the platforms, and move as the objects do.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Skilotonn said:
the new indiana jones game from lucasarts is sort of the poster child for the tech at the moment.

http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705489p1.html

no idea if bungie are using it though. probably use their own in-house tech. *shrug*

Cdammen

the chew said:

yakz7.jpg
WTF?! This I totally missed! Wow... small things that matter a whole lot to the overall experience :)

There's not many games that do this.

Frenck

Banned
Cdammen said:
WTF?! This I totally missed! Wow... small things that matter a whole lot to the overall experience :)

There's not many games that do this.

That's what Bungie got in exchange for Nicole-458 from Team Ninja... :D

Not a Jellyfish said:
extremely early shots i have all faith in bungie that it will look amazing when it is read for consumers to play.

I'm sure the game will look good but they have pretty much said the game won't look as good as Gears. How that equates to best the 360 has to offer I don't know. Mass Effect is the best looking game IMO.

the chew

buckfutter said:

oh i know, I think hitman had it when walking up stairs, that was such an awesome game. It's good to see this, really ads to the experience.

clashfan

Mark Gonzales said:
I'm sure the game will look good but they have pretty much said the game won't look as good as Gears. How that equates to best the 360 has to offer I don't know. Mass Effect is the best looking game IMO.

It doesn't say Halo won't look as good as Gears. It sounds like they where talking about texture details won't be as good as Gears. Alot of things like draw distance, frame rate, animation, lighting... can make Halo 3 "look" better then Gears.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mark Gonzales said:
I'm sure the game will look good but they have pretty much said the game won't look as good as Gears.
it was said they want to retain Halo's unique look, so it's a stylistic choice.

Vrolokus

Banned
I'm kinda surprised nobody has posted early shots of Halo: CE to make the point of how games improve visually with development.

...unless I missed them?

Wollan

Vrolokus said:
I'm kinda surprised nobody has posted early shots of Halo: CE to make the point of how games improve visually with development.

...unless I missed them?

That would be extremely misleading. That game was showed in various states over several years and ended up changing platform completely.

Scrow said:
it was said they want to retain Halo's unique look, so it's a stylistic choice.

Good way to spin this

"We definitely have another strategy than Epic Games when it comes to graphics. We'll never engulf our game environments in lots of details like that. GoW looks absolutely fantastic, but we want to avoid compromising Halo's unique visual style. That's why we're making a clean, sharp game as opposed to one with insane amount of details." --Brian Jarrard

So less details = better looking? If you want to take his approach then Okami is better looking than Gears of War hands down.

DD-11

Mark Gonzales said:
Good way to spin this

"We definitely have another strategy than Epic Games when it comes to graphics. We'll never engulf our game environments in lots of details like that. GoW looks absolutely fantastic, but we want to avoid compromising Halo's unique visual style. That's why we're making a clean, sharp game as opposed to one with insane amount of details." --Brian Jarrard

So less details = better looking? If you want to take his approach then Okami is better looking than Gears of War hands down.

Wow, selective quoting, trolls know no bounds. How about quote the entire thing?

"A lot is still missing in this build. Weather- and water effects are missing, and most of our HDR isn't in there yet. We're still at alpha stage, but when everything is in place, Halo 3 will be the best X360 has to offer." --Brian Jarrard

Give it a rest.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mark Gonzales said:
So less details = better looking?
perhaps not better, but serves bungie's intentions for the game. there are pros and cons to either choice. bungie might want to keep the detail comparably low to heighten clarity of experience, which is particularly important in multiplayer i'd imagine.

Mark Gonzales said:
If you want to take his approach then Okami is better looking than Gears of War hands down.
stylistic preference is subjective.

SpokkX

the chew said:

yakz7.jpg

my thoughts exactly

this would REALLY make a difference, first fps to do it?

Tieno

SpokkX said:
my thoughts exactly

this would REALLY make a difference, first fps to do it?
I think Resistance does some physics based animation (or whatever it's called) too, or is it only the 'death'/get shot animation?

Frenck

Banned
GRAW had that feature too.

It adds a lot to the atmosphere and it will look great in all the machinimas that are going to be produced based on Halo 3.

Mark Gonzales said:
Good way to spin this

:lol

Gears is a lot tighter than Halo in terms of level design, as far as I'm aware there are no sprawling open natural areas so detail can be compressed into the areas that will be visited by the player.

Halo 3 on the other hand appears to be taking the same route as the original game and opening the levels up a lot more.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
GhaleonEB said:
It does crack me up that every time something good is pointed out in the pics - and there's a whole lotta that - someone tries to dash it. Cool character position? It's posed. Amazing textures and lighting? Too zoomed in/out/blurry to compare to anything in the history of anything to tell.

None of the screens Bungie has ever released have had posed shots, and I don't see them starting now.

Heh heh... I'm sure any Bungie guy that reads these comments probably smile to themselves - it's the ultimate compliment when people think your in-game in-engine stuff isn't real...

I'm sure CliffyB gets that same feeling whenever he reads a comment about the Gears ad too...

buckfutter said:
Are you addressing me with the second parargraph? I never said they posed the models. I was just pointing out that it wasn't some new advance; basically the opposite. You're right with the bit about it being hard to think of good examples. Good solutions tend to blend into the background, I guess.

Nah, it wasn't meant for you, it was more for Tieno, but either way, it wasn't meant in a negative way, nor did I think he meant it in a negative way either... I guess he just didn't know how Bungie makes their screenshots...

Scrow said:
the new indiana jones game from lucasarts is sort of the poster child for the tech at the moment.

http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705489p1.html

no idea if bungie are using it though. probably use their own in-house tech. *shrug*

No idea - they did switch from their own physics engine to Havok for Halo 2 though...

And good call on Virtua Fighter 3 using that tech as well cjelly - totally forgot that, especially since uneven floors was the "big change" in VF3...

Mark Gonzales said:
Good way to spin this

How is that spin? His post looks like a straight paraphrasing to me.

GhaleonEB

While we're looking for things to compare those pics to to establish a point of reference, I thought I'd toss this one out. How about comparing Halo 3 to....Halo 3?

From the magazine:
H3-05.jpg

From the Halo 3 announcement trailer:

h3_e32006_ChiefIntro.jpg

The mag is obviously a much lower quality image, but the MC model, texturing and lighting looks like an absolute match in quality with the trailer. And there were absolutely epic debates here about whether the trailer was even realtime. So....when we see something that is as good as the trailer so many thought was CG, and it's realtime...it's suddenly not impressive?

Okay, I'm really done now. :)

raYne

GhaleonEB said:
The mag is obviously a much lower quality image, but the MC model, texturing and lighting looks like an absolute match in quality with the trailer. And there were absolutely epic debates here about whether the trailer was even realtime. So....when we see something that is as good as the trailer so many thought was CG, and it's realtime...it's suddenly not impressive?

Okay, I'm really done now. :)
To be fair, most of the trolli.. err arguments are concerning the environment, not the Spartan models.

Speaking of models... Just noticed there aren't any Elite models in the pics.
Not that I care...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
raYne said:
To be fair, most of the trolli.. err arguments are concerning the environment, not the Spartan models.

Speaking of models... Just noticed there aren't any Elite models in the pics.
Not that I care...

i say the elites aren't ready for primetime yet

they're probably reworking all the models to make them about as crazy as possible.

hopefully they're like the halo wars trailer

raYne

DopeyFish said:
they're probably reworking all the models to make them about as crazy as possible.

hopefully they're like the halo wars trailer
Most likely. I sorta want them to add different models to the mp mode. Jackals, Brutes etc.

Damnit Stinkles... tell them to put in Helljumpers in mp!

GhaleonEB

raYne said:
Most likely. I sorta want them to add different models to the mp mode. Jackals, Brutes etc.

Damnit Stinkles... tell them to put in Helljumpers in mp!
Speaking of jackals...I really, really want to use that shield of theirs.

And I think brutes and helljumpers would be disadvantaged against spartans and elites. Unless they came up with some way to balance them.

Top Bottom