• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Louis Wu

1. I like how Cortana's "Chip" can be inserted into absolutely everything, included thousand and thousand and thousands year old Forerunner tech. I realize this has been the case in every Halo game, first time I've noticed for some reason.
Hey - if a planet-destroying alien ship can be blown up using a 90s-era Powerbook, why the hell COULDN'T Cortana go anywhere?

So...watching the cutscenes again, 2 things have stood out so far.

1. I like how Cortana's "Chip" can be inserted into absolutely everything, included thousand and thousand and thousands year old Forerunner tech. I realize this has been the case in every Halo game, first time I've noticed for some reason.

That doesn't even bother me. Halsey could've designed the chip so it can be plugged into forerunner tech? Maybe all forerunner ports are standardized?

What kinda bugs me: Chief plugs Cortana in at point A, leaves chip in port.
Chief moves to point B, pulls Cortana out.
How the fuck did the chip get to point B before him? Probably the same reason the didact has force powers: because space magic.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hey - if a planet-destroying alien ship can be blown up using a 90s-era Powerbook, why the hell COULDN'T Cortana go anywhere?

Well, that's also easily explained away with the whole "I planned this 10k years ago" crap.

Plus in Reach she's designed inside forerunner tech.

Just. Wow.

They say they don't wanna split the community, ala no Halo 1 MP with Anniversary...then they slice and dice the playlists into all hell whenever DLC comes out.

I remember I tried playing Reach, could play absolutely ZERO playlists because I didn't have any DLC...umm...wut?

Just do it like CoD, if everyone you're playing with has the DLC, then you play with others who have DLC, NOT within a separate playlist.

FyreWulff

So...watching the cutscenes again, 2 things have stood out so far.

To be fair Halo 2 abused that too. And Chief collects her in 3 from a different spot than he put her in 2.

The only time we've seen her physically carried from one location to another is Reach via the Spartan Fanny Pack in the SIII armor, which Chief also gained in 4 when he was carrying
the nuke

IHaveIce

Banned
Anyone want to do "classic" customs sometime this week?

Do you have the "normal" respawn mode? Could you pm me the gamertag with the file share for it?

Also I'm up for classic customs. Got also some remakes, don't know how accurate they are, some feel kind of wonky( The Pit for example) but Lockout, Foundation, Guardian and others work pretty well with special gametypes

wwm0nkey

Do you have the "normal" respawn mode? Could you pm me the gamertag with the file share for it?

Also I'm up for classic customs. Got also some remakes, don't know how accurate they are, some feel kind of wonky( The Pit for example) but Lockout, Foundation, Guardian and others work pretty well with special gametypes

I saw the Nillapuddin was working on Turf, would love to try that out on the No Sprint/Instant Spawn gametype.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What bothers me the most about weapon balance changes is that most of them would make the game slower. Since H2 its been progressively slower. I dont like the random nature of ordnance..if they just organized it somehow id be fine with it. Global ordinance should definitely be organized.

Maybe someone in the Halo 4 OT can help me out.

I want to use my emblem for my avatar. Anyone know how I can get a high res or decent size image of my Halo 4 emblem? I've been trying to find one on waypoint but it's either obstructed when at a good size or tiny.

-- I'm sure they would have liked to separate non-DLC owners into a ghetto ASAP, but I doubt the overall population is high enough to support that.

It's silly, I paid $150 (Legendary Edition) for your game...now you won't let me play it because I won't give you more money, it's just insane.

I'm hoping 343i doesn't make the same mistake, but judging from that IGN video, they're going to.

exYle

2. How fuckin' giant is the Didact? The Chief is what, 8 ft? 9 ft? In the cutscene where he takes hold of his body, Chief looks a fraction of his size. I haven't read the Forerunner trilogy books yet, so IDK if it states in there how large Forerunners were.

The warrior class Forerunners were massive. Others were variable.

IGN: "So how are you implementing the DLC into the playlists?

343: ...

IGN: "I'll cut that out...make a note."

Wow.

Er, what's the problem here? Is the implication that 343 isn't doing anything? Because the weekly bulletin says otherwise.

I am really disappointed we cannot disable the music in this game. It was to be expected, although this is the most music-heavy Halo multiplayer we've ever seen.

I have had a Halo multiplayer playlist since Halo 2 and when the music comes on during the end of the match it just sounds like NOISE.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's silly, I paid $150 (Legendary Edition) for your game...now you won't let me play it because I won't give you more money, it's just insane.

I'm hoping 343i doesn't make the same mistake, but judging from that IGN video, they're going to.

we didn't make a legendary edition and I hope you didn't pay $150 us dolla

we didn't make a legendary edition and I hope you didn't pay $150 us dolla

Talking about Reach...

In Reach, no DLC = can't play specific playlists, which I found out, to my dismay, to be ALL playlists when I wanted to get some Halo in before 4 dropped.

I already have the Season Pass because I bought the LE of 4, but I still think it's silly to segregate gamers in such a way like Bungie did.

I also said I hope 343i doesn't make the same mistake...Again, copy the CoD method, have the system recognize what players have what maps, and group them together. Don't make "DLC Slayer," "DLC Oddball," etc. playlists.

Talking about Reach...

In Reach, no DLC = can't play specific playlists, which I found out, to my dismay, to be ALL playlists when I wanted to get some Halo in before 4 dropped.

I already have the Season Pass because I bought the LE of 4, but I still think it's silly to segregate games in such a way like Bungie did.

I also said I hope 343i doesn't make the same mistake...Again, copy the CoD method, have the system recognize what players have what maps, and group them together. Don't make "DLC Slayer" "DLC Oddball" playlists...

Halo 3 did this and that is the plan for 4 as well - but it will supposedly work even better (i.e. more DLC map frequency than what we saw in H3).

There will also be one DLC playlist which will be a mix of slayer and objective gametypes.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Talking about Reach...

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the message saying you didn't have all the RECOMMENDED maps? To the best of my knowledge the playlists in Reach do not all require you to have DLC.

Halo 3 did this and that is the plan for 4 as well - but it will supposedly work even better (i.e. more DLC map frequency than what we saw in H3).

There will also be one DLC playlist which will be a mix of slayer and objective gametypes.

That's good to hear. I thought Reach did not follow suit?

Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the message saying you didn't have all the RECOMMENDED maps? To the best of my knowledge the playlists in Reach do not all require you to have DLC.

I'll check to confirm, or someone else can confirm it for me then proceed to call me an idiot, which I would deserve.

But I swear last time I tried to play Reach, I was locked out of all the playlists, I had to pop in Anniversary just to play some Halo.

Omni

So the limited edition case has started to crack my disc. Totally called this happening before release.

343i, invest in some better cases next time. This has been a problem with every case that has been made from steelbook (well, the two disc cases anyway) - the disc holders are too tight and getting the discs out actually require bending them and pressing the button so hard that an imprint stays on your finger for minutes afterward.

Anyone know what I can do to get a replacement?

So the limited edition case has started to crack my disc. Totally called this happening before release.

343i, invest in some better cases next time. This has been a problem with every case that has been made from steelbook (well, the two disc cases anyway) - the disc holders are too tight and getting the discs out actually require bending them and pressing the button so hard that an imprint stays on your finger for minutes afterward.

Wha? My case doesn't do this at all. :(

Use a normal DVD case instead?

they're probably just doing exactly what they've always done and throw it into it's own DLC playlist. and we'll have to wait forever to see it finally circulate with other maps.

Omni

Wha? My case doesn't do this at all. :(
Every two disc case that I've ever received with a game that was made by Steelbook has had the same problem. The top holder is too tight.

Use a normal DVD case instead?

Eh. I like to keep my games in their original cases. Looks tacky otherwise.

Games like BF3 and ACIII were good because they shipped with the standard copy of the game as well as the steelbook. That way if you didn't want to use it for whatever reason (in this case, because it's breaking my discs) you didn't have to.

FyreWulff

That would be correct, the only two playlists in Reach that require DLC are Anniversary Squad and Anniversary Firefight. The rest of them are entirely DLC-optional. MLG might require one, I don't remember

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
am i alone in wanting to see "squad slayer" return for halo 4? even if its just for a week to test the waters. a lot of these maps seem slightly large for 4v4 and i think you could probably even tose in more of the larger maps for 5v5 (with vehicle adjustments).

zap

am i alone in wanting to see "squad slayer return for halo 4? even if its just for a week to test the waters. a lot of these maps seem slightly large for 4v4 and i think you could probably even tose in more of the larger maps for 5v5 (with vehicle adjustments).

Halo Squad Slayer:

5v5
No Camo, HLS, PV (Jetpack?)
No personal ordnance
Predictable power weapon spawns.

Sign me up!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Halo Squad Slayer:

5v5
No Camo, HLS, PV (Jetpack?)
No personal ordnance
Predictable power weapon spawns.

Sign me up!

i just meant 5v5, but i suppose other changes would need to be implemented to distinguish it from infinity slayer. either way, sign me up too.

ragnarok without banshee and mantis. exile without banshee, gauss, tank, but more standard hog. long bow. dlc maps (?). map variety. please. hell, through in some forge maps.

I'd like to see Squad Slayer return and I'd set it up like this,
- 5 v 5
- invis, jetpack, and PV locked out
- maps would be Complex, Ragnarok, Haven, Solace, Adrift, Abandon, and Relay
- no personal ordnance
- no instant respawns
- CTF and Slayer

The whining is just tiring to read now, in both Halo threads. I understand most of the complaints - but I just don't see how it warrants some of the bitterness I'm reading. I sure 343 have the best intentions to improve some of the flaws, are reviewing some of the controversial design decisions, and keeping a close eye on balance. The game is perfectly playable however. It is far from broken, play lists are handled very well so far, spartan ops is a good side activity, and overall the game is playing like a Halo game.

I'm hanging out for a classic play list, properly handled DLC and title update as much as the next guy, but let's give them some time.

Also, Halo 5 at Xbox 720 launch plz. I'll pay significant monies for this.

IHaveIce

Banned
The whining is just tiring to read now, in both Halo threads. I understand most of the complaints - but I just don't see how it warrants some of the bitterness I'm reading. I sure 343 have the best intentions to improve some of the flaws, are reviewing some of the controversial design decisions, and keeping a close eye on balance. The game is perfectly playable however. It is far from broken, play lists are handled very well so far, spartan ops is a good side activity, and overall the game is playing like a Halo game.

I'm hanging out for a classic play list, properly handled DLC and title update as much as the next guy, but let's give them some time.

Also, Halo 5 at Xbox 720 launch plz. I'll pay significant monies for this.

lol. so you say Halo 4 is good enough.

Sorry others have the opinion some of this stuff should be in the game from the beginning, not even in matchmaking but restrict some stuff to be adjustable in customs is just blatantly stupid. Playlists are handled well? We could argue, but let's say they are ok (Flood shouldn't be a non-temp. list)
Some stuff is and was broken.

You don't understand the bitterness? I don't understand the optimism "Oh it will be fixed" "Oh Halo 5 will be better" "Oh the second title update will be glorious", Some of this stuff and flaws was discussed to death before launch in the community thread, even with Frankie and co.

rakka

hate it when i don't even make it across on the mancannon on adrift during laggy matches (very often). suicide wtf. so many unnecessary deaths.

it's like they didn't account for players outside the US at all. I'm pretty sure there's a decent population in australia. why am I being matched up to US players almost every game? why is there no good connection setting? (and although reach did have that option most of the time you didn't even need to check it due to far less laggy games, even against US players. what changed?)

Top Bottom