• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Review Thread

Oersted

How many halo swag bags will it take to get a 9+ metacritic average?

iRL8pyGy5nyXk.jpg

Mountain Dews fuels of them.

wwm0nkey

How many boxes of Doritos and Mountain Dew were you given to give such a glowing review?!

Sounds great!

Well I have gained a few pounds....lol

But on a serious note 343 did a great job with story telling, music, level design and combat scenarios for campaign and there are 2 levels which I know will cause a lot of people to have surges of adrenaline.

Also for those who do not like the OST, I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy it a lot more after experiencing the songs in the game.

NBtoaster

I'm looking for something to top this:

Hardcore Gamer 5/5

Assassin’s Creed III is one of those rare games conceived to be revolutionary from the beginning. Games like this only come around once in a generation. One of the most, if not the most, ambitious titles ever created. An inspiring testament to what can be accomplished with unbridled devotion, it’s possible that nothing of this magnitude will ever be attempted again. It’s a truly definitive event that will be looked-back as a crucial step in gaming evolution.

ArynCrinn

Banned
The lack of campaign scoring sucks, so do film clips, still have loads of Reach MP clips. Anyway, Spartan Ops better be worth it.

TEH-CJ

Banned

But on a serious note 343 did a great job with story telling, music, level design and combat scenarios for campaign and there are 2 levels which I know will cause a lot of people to have surges of adrenaline.

Also for those who do not like the OST, I can almost guarantee that you will enjoy it a lot more after experiencing the songs in the game.

Did you think it was as epic as halo 3?

wwm0nkey

Did you think it was as epic as halo 3?

WAY better than Halo 3 easily when it comes to both story and levels, I didn't think anything would have topped The Covenant but each mission has a very nice flow to it and it never feels too short or drags out too long either.

sp3000

Positive impressions are easy, all the reviewers are going to tell us that anyway. Tell us a few things that you disliked instead.

Hoping for 8 out of 10 just to see the reactions

Probably because it's the worst community on this forum. Although the Zelda one was pretty funny also.

I would hope that Halogaf is above that but there are a few fanboys around.

All fanboys can be terrible. No need to single out one particular one.

Doesn't get much less than Reach. And no, more emphasis on vehicles is required. That's one area that Halo does better than any other FPS.

I remember almost nothing about Reach, only played that filth once, but I seem to recall more vehicular sequences than I would have preferred. There was a space flying mission, for crying out loud.

But no, I do not like the vehicles except in extremely short and rare bursts. They're filler material. I cannot say how they compare to other vehicles in the genre, of course, because Halo is the only FPS I play.

abadguy

Banned
Its hard to get excited for this game. I think the scores will probably be around 94 or so and if that's the case, count me out. I want games to be fresh, innovative, and completely genre-redefining when possible. Also, not another sequel. Maybe I could see renting, but I'm just not sure. I've got too many other games to play anyway between finishing up Kingdom Hearts and doing my 100% run through Disgea 3.

You must play very few games then. Also why are you playing Kingdom Hearts and Disgea. Two games that are not "genre redefining" and have lots of sequels.( especially in the case of kingdom hearts)

kylej

Banned
Its hard to get excited for this game. I think the scores will probably be around 94 or so and if that's the case, count me out. I want games to be fresh, innovative, and completely genre-redefining when possible. Also, not another sequel. Maybe I could see renting, but I'm just not sure. I've got too many other games to play anyway between finishing up Kingdom Hearts and doing my 100% run through Disgea 3.

A+

I remember almost nothing about Reach, only played that filth once, but I seem to recall more vehicular sequences than I would have preferred. There was a space flying mission, for crying out loud.

But no, I do not like the vehicles except in extremely short and rare bursts. They're filler material. I cannot say how they compare to other vehicles in the genre, of course, because Halo is the only FPS I play.

I'll take all the banshee and tank battles that they'll give me.

watership

IIRC, Eurogamer gave UC3 an 8/10 and fanboys went apeshit claiming the site was biased and gave it a 'low' score just to sabotage the Metacritic average or some other crazy theory.

Oh that. Doesn't that happen with EVERY release? There will be 10 out of 10s. There will be 9s and there will be 8s and even 7s. Then will be the "Halo is done, and this is my attention getting hit bait review."

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What if Halo 4 is really good? Are people still going to accuse every single reviewer of being influenced?

Haha! Who am I kidding. People will freak and attack the one reviewer who gives it a 7/10.

wwm0nkey

Positive impressions are easy, Tell us a few things that you hated instead.

Well I am a Halo fan so there were a lot of story things I understood but some people might be confused on some things.

Though that problem will probably be fixed with the Terminals which I could not watch since I was not connected to XBL.

Also I wish there were more classes of Prometheans.

Other than that the game is honestly really solid when it comes to gameplay and enemy encounters. One thing that I LOVE is how the audio and gameplay work together sometimes. For example the Plasma Pistol makes a loud sound when charged so I can be sneaking around and hear that so I will know to look for and take out the enemy with the charged pistol.

Miles X

You spelled Sleeping Dogs incorrectly.

You'll definitely see both. Especially after this past week of silliness.

Not that I like to hold Metacritic up or anything but if most sites didn't give it 10's (as it's meta score suggests) why would they give it GOTY?

Satchel

Banned
What if Halo 4 is really good? Are people still going to accuse every single reviewer of being influenced?

Haha! Who am I kidding. People will freak and attack the one reviewer who gives it a 7/10.

I have no problem with reviews that are below "the norm" if its a well written honest review like the Uncharted 3 one.

But the attention whore troll reviews piss me off.

"I was sterile until I played Halo 4. Upon holding my gaze, my wife was instantaneously impregnated with quintuplets. She is currently in the process of giving birth.

9.7/10"

Not that I like to hold Metacritic up or anything but if most sites didn't give it 10's (as it's meta score suggests) why would they give it GOTY?

I'm just talking personal opinion. I couldnt give two big poops about what gaming sites think the GOTY is.

The Halo-GAF crowd seems to be more rational about critique of their series than a lot of other game serie fans, at least from what I've seen.

hhahahahhahahahahahah seriously?

dont get me wrong i like the halos,i have finished halo 4 etc etc but the enthusiastic reaction from the gaming press to this saga is ridiculous,here in spain is ..man i dont have words for that,they arent journalist they are pure fanboys of the saga

its halo 4 a good game? hell yeah..but have some problems,im curious to see if they are brave enough to mention them like they do with other games,sometimes it feels like its a intouchable game for the press

Vire

Is the score to beat

We'll see...

It'll be very interesting to see what 343's debut looks like when all is said and done.

Can they muster up a Retro? Where a practically unknown studio delivers one of the greatest games of all time?

Kujo

Don't really trust reviews after that garbage Reach got a 91 on metacritic

To be fair this (the campaign at least) does look pretty decent. I wonder if anyone dare score this game less than an 8 though

Top Bottom