• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

Footage looks fantastic

Like Lisa Ann in her prime

Wouldn't you agree Frankie?

tumblr_inline_n422caUubw1r3vdd6.gif

The dynamic resolution system sounds fantastic. This is the kind of stuff I always expected to see used to great effect on the Xbox One. Helping to keep performance right where they need it to be while also allowing them the freedom to go big and crazy with their vision as they see fit.

jelly

Why does 343 hate Firefight? It's only one of the best, most replayable co-op arcade-like experiences ever made. At least, offer it as post-release DLC, people.

I thought their AI was worse than Reach so it wouldn't be great for Firefight and they have had this make a story of everything thing, give it context going on from Halo 4 which doesn't suit Firefight. Lastly, I think Microsoft would rather every mode leads to a Gold sub and Firefight can be a decent offline distraction.

That said, Firefight could do with rethink before coming back, more challenging for one and Spartan Ops is not a replacement which was so bad to play. There is some fun to be had with Firefight, don't drag it into lore.

Hawk269

The dynamic resolution system sounds fantastic. This is the kind of stuff I always expected to see used to great effect on the Xbox One. Helping to keep performance right where they need it to be while also allowing them the freedom to go big and crazy with their vision as they see fit.

Unless it drops to too low of a resolution. I am assuming the drop will be to 900p, not anything lower. I asked Frankie, but not sure if he has seen my question or is able to answer it. I think dropping anything more that 900p can be jarring, especially if you are at 1080p and then all of a sudden it is 720p, it would be pretty shocking to see a drop like that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm bummed by no Firefight, too, especially after Bungie utterly botched their attempt at reviving it in Destiny. Where am I gonna get my Halo-ish PvE survival mode fix now? :(

I have been incredibly pessimistic about Halo 5 so far based off my experiences with H4 and MCC, but Holy Shite that campaign footage looks great, looks like exactly what I want in terms of scale, good job 343.

jelly

Unless it drops to too low of a resolution. I am assuming the drop will be to 900p, not anything lower. I asked Frankie, but not sure if he has seen my question or is able to answer it. I think dropping anything more that 900p can be jarring, especially if you are at 1080p and then all of a sudden it is 720p, it would be pretty shocking to see a drop like that.

Escape from Butcher Bay on Xbox. Now that was jarring. That went a bit Half Life software mode at times.

Welp, late as usual, but what a day.

I come back and find fresh Halo 5 news

mocha_frappe.gif

and a shallow, unmarked grave for FoolishFellow.

ibr924alSaLxMu.gif

42 Days Homies

I'm bummed by no Firefight, too, especially after Bungie utterly botched their attempt at reviving it in Destiny. Where am I gonna get my Halo-ish PvE survival mode fix now? :(

Prison of Elders was like a delicious looking stack of pancakes, but when you bite into them you find that they aren't even cooked inside and are just lukewarm sludge.

JaggedSac

Don't want to open up that can of worms, so suffice it to say that there is plenty of disagreement on that one.

Personally I never expected campaign matchmaking in Halo 5 so I don't miss it.

Wait, wait, wait. Did I miss them saying something about there not being matchmaking in co-op for Halo 5?

ElRenoRaven

I love how not a single member of Blue Team is grabbing for their gun. They are giving off that 'Awwww son, you just came to the wrong neighborhood'. You can almost feel Locke shake with weapon in hand.

Yup. So awesome. They're like who's this fool point a fucking pistol at us? What a pistol. BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Frankie question. You keep talking about this AI. The real question is can it drive without getting hung up on a box? That will tell us if it's actually good AI or not.

Basically, the way I imagine it is that even if resolution is dropped as far as 720p, they likely make up for it with a good antialiasing solution and by upping the quality level or resolution of other effects that if the game were running at a native 1080p resolution, likely couldn't be done at such an impressive level. Pretty much they will use a few tricks to help mask the transitions.

Basically, the way I imagine it is that even if resolution is dropped as far as 720p, they likely make up for it with a good antialiasing solution and by upping the quality level or resolution of other effects that if the game were running at a native 1080p resolution, likely couldn't be done at such an impressive level. Pretty much they will use a few tricks to help mask the transitions.

If they have to drop resolution, they wont slap a expensive AA solution over it....

Trup1aya

Nope.

Bolded for why.

Your AI bros will be way less problematic than the uncooperative, ammo-stealing, car-crashing diet racist you might have ended up with.

This sucks... Just like Bungie's matchmaking decisions with Destiny.

Yes I understand that playing with randoms has the potential to be a bad experience. But it also has the potential to be a good one. Why not let me take the chance if I want. I met a lot of my Xbox live friends randomly...

Also matchmaking is a quick easy way to complete a team that isn't quite full..

Oh well

Doodis

I've just got to jump in and say that I love the verticality and openness of the gameplay. Multiple paths to awesomeness.

JaggedSac

Nope.

Bolded for why.

Your AI bros will be way less problematic than the uncooperative, ammo-stealing, car-crashing diet racist you might have ended up with.

God damnit, just saw this.

Fucking hell.

Makes the whole "better for co-op" shit completely worthless for me. Fan-friggen-tastic.

This sucks... Just like Bungie's matchmaking decisions with Destiny.

Yes I understand that playing with randoms has the potential to be a bad experience. But it also has the potential to be a good one. Why not let me take the chance if I want. I met a lot of my Xbox live friends randomly...

Also matchmaking is a quick easy way to complete a team that isn't quite full..

Oh well

They either dont want to pay for the servers to handle this(since it is no longer PvP), or they want people who would typically matchmake a campaign to play Warzone instead.

Monocle

I've just got to jump in and say that I love the verticality and openness of the gameplay. Multiple paths to awesomeness.
I think what you meant to say was "directional differentiation." Don't be a shill for Frankie's commercial propaganda.

Kssio_Aug

Nope.

Bolded for why.

What? Seriously? I thought it was confirmed...

Damn... I'm disappointed! Very disappointed!
I mean... Isn't it a co-op focused campaing? Why?? =/

Ah well...

see5harp

Reach firefight was weak to me. If they are going to do it, it needs dedicated servers and it needs to be the drawn out escalating affairs from ODST (minus the lag, of course).

That direct download footage from Xbox.com truly shows what a big improvement has been made over E3. While there's still some aliasing on the foliage here and there, and later in the video on the stairs outside, it has been improved a damn lot. Very nice.

jem0208

God damnit, just saw this.

Fucking hell.

Makes the whole "better for co-op" shit completely worthless for me. Fan-friggen-tastic.

They either dont want to pay for the servers to handle this(since it is no longer PvP), or they want people who would typically matchmake a campaign to play Warzone instead.

Or they're putting the resources they could have spent on it elsewhere.

Sure the lack of it is slightly disappointing but it's a feature hardly anyone would use.

That direct download footage from Xbox.com truly shows what a big improvement has been made over E3. While there's still some aliasing on the foliage here and there, and later in the video on the stairs outside, it has been improved a damn lot. Very nice.

Polish and optimization in the last few months of dev time can do wonders

I think this will be a game to surpass Metal Gear for me, I've been loving everything I've been seeing so far. Great job, 343i.

soldat7

If only there were a place to find halo players to coordinate co op sessions with.

It's just one more obnoxious step, though. I'd rather just hit a button and be matched. There must be an unstated technical or schedule reason because I don't get the design reason behind no matchmaking.

If they have to drop resolution, they wont slap a expensive AA solution over it....

It may not be so expensive once the resolution is dropped. Playground achieved 4XMSAA in forza horizon 2 at native 1080p. Maybe 343 can manage something not quite as expensive as all that, but still nice enough at an even lower resolution.

Polish and optimization in the last few months of dev time can do wonders

Oh for damn sure. I love it.

If there's one thing to complain about..i guess, is that it all seems WAY too easy. Would be great if 343 could confirm the difficulty this was at. If i had done all these things (except the verticality of course) in Halo 4...i'd be six feet under multiple times already. Surely this is on easy, right?

IronWarrior

Neo Member
And I liked those aspects. Got used to leading, and timing my shots and excelled because of it.

Lot of core Halo players detest any random elements in these games' multiplayer though, and that extends to the more random nature of the automatic weapons.

I'm in the minority but I really enjoyed shot leading, since it adds another layer of skill to using the precision weapons.

On-topic, I'm still not a fan of the animated hit markers. I think the static ones in the beta were easy enough to see, the animated ones just look a bit distracting.

It may not be so expensive once the resolution is dropped. Playground achieved 4XMSAA in forza horizon 2 at native 1080p. Maybe 343 can manage something not quite as expensive as all that, but still nice enough at an even lower resolution.

Doubtful... A resolution drop is already a indication for the limiting hardware. Dont expect too much.

Btw whats up with the Alpha effects on this trees? And the really really low shadows under the trees? :/

swords-of-sanghelios-eikdh.png

JaggedSac

If only there were a place to find halo players to coordinate co op sessions with.

Yeah, nothing like having to get on Gaf to find co-op players. If only at some point in time, someone wrote some software that put random people together in sessions over the internet.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah, nothing like having to get on Gaf to find co-op players. If only at some point in time, someone wrote some software that put random people together in sessions over the internet.

I understand that to find a Halo player in the internet is not a hard thing. BUT...

Sometimes we just don't have time to go to a Halo 5 thread, post we want to play co-op, wait for someone to get ready, and than start the section. It would be MAGICAL to have the OPTION to drop in a co-op section whenever I wanted to!

Also, I live in Brazil... And I know how hard it is to find someone here in Neogaf to play that dosen't suffer lag because of the distance.

Sydle

Loving what I'm seeing so far. This can't be mistaken for anything but Halo and it's looking better than ever.

I'm still not pre-ordering because I don't trust 343 to release a perfectly working game, but I hope I'm proven wrong and can still get in on this shortly after launch when its been confirmed to be bug free.

I'm pretty sure I solved a code of Frankie's, albeit after the fact...or maybe I'm just reaching. I think he was talking about how more stuff was going to be shown and he said "It's gonna be suite". "Suite (Geology): A group of minerals, rocks, or fossils occurring together and characteristic of a location or period." I'm the self-proclaimed best hindsight decoder guy in the world, y'all.

Top Bottom