• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There's definitely no shadow

8ed5fe560c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57AD5inbKAs&feature=youtu.be&t=49s
A character completely in the shade is an indication that the game has no shadows. :| In fact, watching the footage, enemies and allies appear to have softer shadows in the shade.

EDIT:Maybe not, it's hard to tell with youtube compression.

farisr

The first one was kind of a big deal at the time. Subsequent games have held their own, but haven't necessarily lead the pack, so to speak.

I don't recall the graphics being a focal point at all for the first one. The buzz around halo was that it was a launch xbox title, a console FPS that was good to play, and its fun multiplayer. During that time, as far as I recall, graphics wise, MGS2 was the talk of the town.

Sai

I don't recall the graphics being a focal point at all for the first one. The buzz around halo was that it was a launch xbox title, a console FPS that was good to play, and its fun multiplayer. During that time, as far as I recall, graphics wise, MGS2 was the talk of the town.
Don't know if I'd call it a focal point, all I recall is that it was considered a very good looking game that did things with textures that weren't all that common on console hardware at the time.

The dynamic resolution system sounds fantastic. This is the kind of stuff I always expected to see used to great effect on the Xbox One. Helping to keep performance right where they need it to be while also allowing them the freedom to go big and crazy with their vision as they see fit.

I wouldn't go that far. It's a necessary evil.

Madness

So ground pound is now on the B button for Recon, but won't that be ridiculously tough to aim while also using it? I mean I thought it was fine in the beta. Crouch jumping isn't nearly as important to me as not having to claw to aim. Who the heck thought this was a good solution?

Anyone here play Recon in the beta and Recon with the new control scheme? Is it awkward? I wonder when we'll be able to map buttons ourselves and pick and choose how to play without having to buy arm and a leg cost controllers.

So ground pound is now on the B button for Recon, but won't that be ridiculously tough to aim while also using it? I mean I thought it was fine in the beta. Crouch jumping isn't nearly as important to me as not having to claw to aim. Who the heck thought this was a good solution?
Me and my army.

Bsigg12

Dat Elite controller tho... The charge time in the air seems fast enough to where you won't need to swing the reticule around but we'll see.

RowdyReverb

Don't know if I'd call it a focal point, all I recall is that it was considered a very good looking game that did things with textures that weren't all that common on console hardware at the time.
I remember being impressed by it. Most games at that time didn't take advantage of Xbox's stronger hardware when porting from PS2, so an Xbox exclusive game was a sight to behold. Plus, the physics engine was totally novel to me.

Dat Elite controller tho... The charge time in the air seems fast enough to where you won't need to swing the reticule around but we'll see.

Nah, I think b was mapped to ground pound for me in the beta and you definitely need to aim while it charges up unless you hope to get lucky. But yea, elite controller is the answer, for my dumb ass willing to spend the money at least.

Has any information been revealed about Chief and Blue Team? Locke's team has individual characters and personality. All of the videos sell the conflict between the two teams as two sides of the same coin.

It would be disappointing if Blue Team is simply a bunch of nameless guys and The Chief.

i really like the Carbines ADS look, its so small and clean :)
now it only needs to be competitive to the BR, DMR or Lightrifle and i think i got my weapon of choice (outside of the pistol ofc)

The Flash

Banned
Has any information been revealed about Chief and Blue Team? Locke's team has individual characters and personality. All of the videos sell the conflict between the two teams as two sides of the same coin.

It would be disappointing if Blue Team is simply a bunch of nameless guys and The Chief.

Blue Team are from the books. Fred, Kelly, and Linda. They're Spartan II's like John.

Grisby

Only watched a little bit of each clip, looking good.
Why does 343 hate Firefight? It's only one of the best, most replayable co-op arcade-like experiences ever made. At least, offer it as post-release DLC, people.
Yeah, I miss it dearly. Was a really fun mode.

Hopefully if they do a Reach remaster they'll give it the love it deserves.

Kssio_Aug

They're not nameles, they're characters already known in Halo lore.

Their names are Frederic-104, Kelly-087 and Linda-058. Source: Halopedia (I have never read the books)

I love the new HUD design. It's super noisy, but I don't even care. I can't wait to play through the game with my tried and true MJOLNIR, like saddling up a loyal steed or slipping on my favorite pair of jeans.

Blue Team are from the books. Fred, Kelly, and Linda. They're Spartan II's like John.

They're not nameles, they're characters already known in Halo lore.

Their names are Frederic-104, Kelly-087 and Linda-058. Source: Halopedia (I have never read the books)

Cool! I've never read the books either!
It's going to be awesome having a big old fashioned narrative-driven piece of sci-fi spectacle again! Really looking forward to this. Destiny and TitanFall never quite scratched this itch.

Cool! I've never read the books either!
It's going to be awesome having a big old fashioned narrative-driven piece of sci-fi spectacle again! Really looking forward to this. Destiny and TitanFall never quite scratched this itch.

There will be an animated series covering the Fall of Reach which will give some good backstory on blue team. It comes out same time as the game I believe.

Blue Team are the real focus of Halo 5- but their pieces of the story are the meatier bits. 343 is holding a lot of that back. I'd imagine we'll get some Blue Team action closer to launch.

Elite controller better come out before H5. That's all I'll say.

Same day I believe.

Madness

Universal Reclaimer always until Elite Controller.

Pretty hard to stomach almost half the cost of the console for a controller when all they need to do is finally allow people to select what buttons they want to use no? Up here, elite controller is almost $201 CAD with tax included. What's even the excuse anymore? In the past I used to hear it would allow game breaking or things like bxr or the engine couldn't do it, but if these games essentially use all new engines, what's up?

DrBo42

Gotta give the engine and art team some major credit here, game is looking way better than the beta in terms of IQ.

The squad AI though...not so great. Before Locke orders them to target that Elite some jackal is just wailing on Vale from her right maybe 2 meters from her.

SaganIsGOAT

Man, I will NEVER understand why people nitpick graphics of a SIXTY FPS game so hard.

*clicks link to new halo 5 gameplay
*notices a pixelized shadow in the distance
*Posts about disappointing shadows

Like, how do you guys play through games? Do you have a notebook by your side, jotting down everything that catches your eye to post about it later or what?

QuikNez

Man, I will NEVER understand why people nitpick graphics of a SIXTY FPS game so hard.

Like, how do you guys play through games? Do you have a notebook by your side, jotting down everything that catches your eye to post about it later or what?

I'm right there with you brah, focusing on the trivial and not the bigger pic, it gets frustrating to read sometimes.

Don't know why you guys are expecting mindblowing graphics from this hardware and at this framerate and with these kind of play spaces.

Halo has never been known for it's graphics. Stick w/ gameplay priorities (60fps) like in past Halos.
I agree.
Not to invalidate anyone else's opinions, but I personally am very happy with the graphics.
I feel like it is close to on par with Destiny's graphics, and at double the framerate.
Of course the resolution will not be 1080 all the time, but to be honest, I didn't really notice much difference in Destiny when they bumped the resolution from 900p to 1080p after the beta.
I know there are some people here who can tell the difference easily, but I am glad I am not one of thoes people.

To me, art direction is much more important. I love the move they have made to PBR as it seems to have greatly improved the range of materials and shaders they can use.
While I enjoyed Halo 4's lighting system, I didn't really like how there seemed to be only a couple basic materials which made a lot of things end up looking fake or plastic.

Also, I feel that the color pallets harmonize very well, and the new alien architecture at Sanghelios looks very unique and distinct.

Anyways, I can't wait to see how it all looks in motion on my tv come Oct. 27th, and I hope they do a good job with Locke's character, and distinguish him from a personally perspective.
I feel like he has potential.

I agree.
Not to invalidate anyone else's opinions, but I personally am very happy with the graphics.
I feel like it is close to on par with Destiny's graphics, and at double the framerate.
Of course the resolution will not be 1080 all the time, but to be honest, I didn't really notice much difference in Destiny when they bumped the resolution from 900p to 1080p after the beta.
I know there are some people here who can tell the difference easily, but I am glad I am not one of thoes people.

To me, art direction is much more important. I love the move they have made to PBR as it seems to have greatly improved the range of materials and shaders they can use.
While I enjoyed Halo 4's lighting system, I didn't really like how there seemed to be only a couple basic materials which made a lot of things end up looking fake or plastic.

Also, I feel that the color pallets harmonize very well, and the new alien architecture at Sanghelios looks very unique and distinct.

Anyways, I can't wait to see how it all looks in motion on my tv come Oct. 27th, and I hope they do a good job with Locke's character, and distinguish him from a personally perspective.
I feel like he has potential.

Two great posts.

Omni

Eh. Looks fine... though I'm not gonna lie. Halo 2 Anniversary looks much better to me - both campaign and multiplayer. So that's going to be a little odd. But I understand that 343i's main priority here is framerate so what can you do.

I think it's because they are given such a small slice of the game with these videos, these little things stand out more right now during the pre-release time. Usually once the game rolls around you usually only see the most tech-savvy people giving criticisms on this kind of stuff.

My only issue is with the grass, but grass sucks in like all halos lol.

No, but i'm only familiar with the lore based on the games. Never read any of the books, and I watched the Machinima live action series. That's about it. I'm excited about 343 is doing.
Blue Team are comprised of other surviving Spartan II's, the same and original "batch" of spartans as Master Chief. They've been around. They are well known, they are definitely pre-established in the story of Halo.

Top Bottom