• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Campaign Info Post - Building an Epic Campaign

Kssio_Aug

Just fiished Halo 3 ODST some minutes ago! And that was really good!
Is there any chance to see Halo Reach coming to MCC?

Yes Yes Yes! Level design is looking leagues better than Halo4 from what I've seen... And I like what the Spartan abilities bring to the tables... So many options = so many play throughs.

Seeing stuff like this makes me so confused when I think back to the E3 demo... Oh well, the past is the past... This wait is getting unbearable...

Just watched both videos - it's good, it's reaaaaaally good.

Anyone noticed the mission takes place in 27th October?

Man, you guys sure are making it hard for me to continue my media blackout for H5.
Nice to hear it is looking good though. Hopefully the story for H5 will make up for my disappointment with Destiny's story last year.

And Also glad they are doing dynamic resolution. As long as it isn't dropping down to sub HD levels, I think I will be ok with it.

Madness

The lack of Forge info... is not good.

Well we know it's not coming to Warzone. I think the insistence on 60fps and the fact that Arena levels will need to maintain that, probably means Forge is limited in that sense? I think it will be an advancement of Halo 4 and H2A Forge, but nothing to write home about? But Frank did say closer to launch.

I mean we didn't hear about H2A Forge until a month before launch of MCC?

KORNdoggy

It still looks like a game that has made some big sacrifices for 60fps, but it looks better then it did. So that's good. I kinda wish the footage had a nice bombastic halo tune to slaughter elites to though. It felt a bit uninteresting due to the silence. Either that or its easy mode?

Trup1aya

It still looks like a game that has made some big sacrifices for 60fps, but it looks better then it did. So that's good. I kinda wish the footage had a nice bombastic halo tune to slaughter elites to though. It felt a bit uninteresting due to the silence. Either that or its easy mode?

Every game makes sacrifices for something... Game development is about making compromises...

If it was constant 1080p with more impressive visuals, but ran at 30fps, we could say "it still looks like a game that sacrificed framerate for fidelity"

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just don't get your expectations stupidly high, there will be no terrain editing, so just keep yourself in check.

Anyone expecting something like that will always be disappointed. Folks wanting a full map editor should just go load up Unity or Unreal.

Well we know it's not coming to Warzone. I think the insistence on 60fps and the fact that Arena levels will need to maintain that, probably means Forge is limited in that sense? I think it will be an advancement of Halo 4 and H2A Forge, but nothing to write home about? But Frank did say closer to launch.

I mean we didn't hear about H2A Forge until a month before launch of MCC?

Forge in MCC was... not good. Extremely buggy and missing basic features. It was disgraceful, but so were many other features in MCC. I don't it's fair to judge Halo 5 content on MCC content.

Doubtful... A resolution drop is already a indication for the limiting hardware. Dont expect too much.

Btw whats up with the Alpha effects on this trees? And the really really low shadows under the trees? :/

swords-of-sanghelios-eikdh.png

Lowering resolution on every piece of hardware known to man, frees resources to do other things that maybe weren't possible at a higher resolution. I've seen this cycle play out far too many times to get dragged into it again. These nitpicks are laughable, the game looks amazing. The end.

jem0208

Lowering resolution on every piece of hardware known to man, frees resources to do other things that maybe weren't possible at a higher resolution. I've seen this cycle play out far too many times to get dragged into it again. These nitpicks are laughable, the game looks amazing. The end.
Jumper is actually right here though.

The resolution gets lowered when the game is maxing out the resources available. You're not going to be reducing the strain if you lower the resolution then apply a more resource intensive AA.

The res is being reduced to free up resources to maintain the framerate.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I think they're just saving up a big announcement to drum up hype before release. Community creation is just too hot in gaming right now for them to ignore, especially with Forge's history.

Problem is, the industry is constantly innovating and pushing boundaries with community content.

Forge hasn't been innovative since it was introduced. It's barely changed since then too. I'm particularly worried the 4th iteration is going to be as disappointing as the 2nd and 3rd.

Jumper is actually right here though.

The resolution gets lowered when the game is maxing out the resources available. You're not going to be reducing the strain if you lower the resolution then apply a more resource intensive AA.

The res is being reduced to free up resources to maintain the framerate.

Don't focus so much on the AA part of my comment, that was just as a possible example of what 343i could do when the resolution is lowered to prevent the game from 'appearing' less impressive. The lowering of the resolution is to maintain framerate, yes, but that is expected to occur during what are expected to be more intense, visual effects heavy scenes. When I talk about 'tricks' that 343i could use, I'm only referring to the very real likelihood that those scenes will look so amazing that the fact that they also run at a nice 60fps could turn out to make the game look even more impressive compared to when the game is native 1080p.

As described in the blog, there will likely be some sick skyboxes at play, showing the battle beyond where the player is located, and this will likely be accompanied by a bigger battle in the player's immediate vicinity with vehicles tossed in.

golem

That'd be a start for sure, but there's still griefers and buffoons with good gear. Level 32 Heroic strikes are a good example of getting paired with people at max level with max gear who are still terrible.

Played some strikes with matchmaking the last few weeks since my friends were busy, holy hell there are some bad players out there still. Also more near launch I had quite a few problems with randoms in matchmaking just sitting at the spawn points expecting rewards automatically. It was definitely annoying.

btags

Name another game that did this

As mentioned by someone else, COD Advanced Warfare (singleplayer), and additionally Killzone Mercenary, Wolfenstein: TNO, Rage, and WipeoutHD on ps3. I am sure there are more, I don't necessarily know what they would be, but the few examples I provided are enough to show that 343 are not the first to do this. Good on them for making the decision to push framerate over resolution though.

Madness

Anyone expecting something like that will always be disappointed. Folks wanting a full map editor should just go load up Unity or Unreal.

Forge in MCC was... not good. Extremely buggy and missing basic features. It was disgraceful, but so were many other features in MCC. I don't it's fair to judge Halo 5 content on MCC content.

I meant it's more that, it's not unusual having to wait this long for concrete Forge news. I know it's not fair to judge Halo 5 output on MCC as the teams are different and the beta showed us it's not the same. I meant more your 'lack of Forge info is not good', when that's my point. If it's slightly better than H2A Forge it's a negative for you. So they're better off not making it a focal point. Show off the new coop campaign, the dedicated servers, 60fps and warzone etc. Forge is Forge. It's not in warzone and it won't be like what Doom showed off, so keep it under the radar until closer to release. There's no way it'll be worse than the Forge of H4 and H2A.

SaganIsGOAT

Doubtful... A resolution drop is already a indication for the limiting hardware. Dont expect too much.

Btw whats up with the Alpha effects on this trees? And the really really low shadows under the trees? :/

swords-of-sanghelios-eikdh.png

Distant shadows being rendered at a lower resolution? Every game is doing that...

farisr

I sincerely hope the campaign turns out really good. But it's gonna have to really step it up compared to past entries to convince me that those features (that I consider essential to a Halo game) absolutely needed to be cut.
I'm really glad this kind of stuff is not noticeable/doesn't matter to me.

Tunavi

Banned
As mentioned by someone else, COD Advanced Warfare (singleplayer), and additionally Killzone Mercenary, Wolfenstein: TNO, Rage, and WipeoutHD on ps3. I am sure there are more, I don't necessarily know what they would be, but the few examples I provided are enough to show that 343 are not the first to do this. Good on them for making the decision to push framerate over resolution though.
TIL

It may not be so expensive once the resolution is dropped. Playground achieved 4XMSAA in forza horizon 2 at native 1080p. Maybe 343 can manage something not quite as expensive as all that, but still nice enough at an even lower resolution.

There will definitely never be any MSAA in halo 5.

Starfield

The only thing that I don't like is that enemy's/AI don't cast shadows. This should be gone by now and stay in old gen.

Madness

Is it just me, I mean I see the visuals and I get giddy (tint/lighting filters notwithstanding). This is the best Halo has ever looked for me. But I'm seeing elsewhere too saying they're underwhelmed by the visuals. But based on what? The game is 60fps in every single game mode. Today they say it's mostly at 1080p with resolution dips to maintain framerate at all times. How can you be underwhelmed? Not trying to slurp. I mean it looks and plays like next gen Halo to me. Easily better than H4 and H2A even.

farisr

Is it just me, I mean I see the visuals and I get giddy (tint/lighting filters notwithstanding). This is the best Halo has ever looked for me. But I'm seeing elsewhere too saying they're underwhelmed by the visuals. But based on what? The game is 60fps in every single game mode. Today they say it's mostly at 1080p with resolution dips to maintain framerate at all times. How can you be underwhelmed? Not trying to slurp. I mean it looks and plays like next gen Halo to me. Easily better than H4 and H2A even.

Aside from Halo 4, Halo games usually have not really been known for their graphical fidelity. The artstyle made up for the lack in technical/graphical quality. But this time around, due to going for 60fps, and releasing MCC with Halo 4 in it, the jump to Halo 5 does not seem as great. I can totally understand where people are coming from.

It can be the best looking Halo game while still being underwhelming. The people saying that it looks on par or worse than Halo 4 are crazy though.
The enemies/AI definitely cast shadows.

Yeah, I thought that was wrong. I may not be good at picking up minor details but I would've definitely picked up on shadows missing altogether.

I don't know, I understand if people were hoping for a bigger leap, but it looks fantastic to me. Resolution could be higher and textures could be better, but they covered the most important aspects imo (lighting, effects, sound, 60fps, physics). But this the Halo engine (never known as the most "optimized" or graphically impressive), and this is the Xbox One. Only so much they can do.

Sai

Aside from Halo 4, Halo games usually have not really been known for their graphical fidelity.
The first one was kind of a big deal at the time. Subsequent games have held their own, but haven't necessarily lead the pack, so to speak.

VinFTW

Don't know why you guys are expecting mindblowing graphics from this hardware and at this framerate and with these kind of play spaces.

Halo has never been known for it's graphics. Stick w/ gameplay priorities (60fps) like in past Halos.

OEM

That's what I was thinking. It'd be cool if we saw a female elite in game.

I always wondered how they reproduced. Its about time that 343 show us their culture, how they fuck and have babies. After all we will be visiting their world.

Top Bottom