• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

Trup1aya

At a minimum, the benefits of anyone buying cards should be short-lived as the people earning credits through game-play will eventually catch up. Not sure how long it will take theoretically to get everything without paying though.

That catching up should be instantaneous, effectively, because matchmaking takes into consideration Req collection...

The guy who doesn't have shit is going to be matched with other players who don't have shit...

The guy who has 10 of everything will be matched with guys who also have 10 of everything... Whether one guy paid for those things will be irrelevant come game time... In fact, the guy who grinded for everything will probably be better off, because he's likely better at the game...

It's not like grinders are going go David and Goloath against Richie Rich everytime they boot up the game...

That catching up will be instantaneous, effectively, because matchmaking takes into consideration Req collection...

The guy who doesn't have shit is going to be matched with other players who don't have shit...

The guy who has 10 of everything will be matched with guys who also have 10 of everything... Whether one guy paid for those things will be irrelevant come game time... In fact, the guy who grinded for everything will probably be better off, because he's likely better at the game...

It's not like grinders are going to playing against Richie Rich everytime they boot up the game...
I keep forgetting about that. However, we also have a history of Halo games that were supposed to match players of equal skill/rank against each other, and that hasn't always worked as intended. I guess we will see.

There are gonna be so many power weapons and vehicles and bullshit flying around the second half of the Warzone match. Like...the way the game is set up everybody earning and unlocking things at the same time, I just don't see how some guy getting a Plasma Rifle in a paid pack(a pack that you stand just as much of a chance getting with in-game currency) that fires slightly faster and/or has a bigger splash damage is gonna be a big deal. You're all gonna have vehicles in power weapons, man. It won't even matter that somebody maybe got a Spartan Laser in a pack when you and two of your friends got one too.

One-time use weapons, at that! This isn't like Battlefield or Uncharted, where you see some guy comes in every match with a cool gun and you feel trash cuz you aint pay for it. In Warzone, somebody will buy a pack with money and maybe get a cool Sniper that he can only use at around the same time you just unlocked all your cool weapons. If he gets killed in 10 seconds, thats it. Its gone. Well, its on the ground and somebody can pick it up. But he cant spawn with it again. In fact, he has to level up his REQ points to even afford another power weapon.

Its just...not gonna be a big deal lol. Like at all.

More here. So ppl can stop with their fear posts. ....
And actually update this with useful info. Lol

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-dev-defends-games-microtransactions/1100-6431341/

in an interview with GameSpot, Halo 5 design director Kevin Franklin stressed that everything available in the game's REQ system is obtainable "whether you spend money or not."

"There's no crazy special items that are only going to be reserved for people who spend a lot more money," he added. "Also, you get a lot of rewards whether you're playing Arena or Warzone, so you're always going to have a ton of stuff that you'll be able to use. The biggest thing for us the moment we started even talking about this system was that the game has to be balanced. At the end of the day, it's a multiplayer game. It's not a spend-more-to-win game. We wanted to make sure that if you spend a whole ton of money, and you thought you could get five Scorpions just because you spent more money, it's not going to work. You're still going to have to earn the right to call these Scorpions into the battlefield."

Peviously, 343 said it expects players will earn around 2000 RP for every Warzone match played. Bronze REQ Packs sell for 1250 RP; Silver for 5000 RP; and Gold for 10000 RP. If you do indeed earn 2000 RP every match, it won't be long until you can buy more REQ Packs with in-game currency. In addition, everyone gets 7500 RP to start when they buy Halo 5.

Franklin went on to say that Halo 5 has been purposefully designed to feel balanced and fair.

"We have a mid-session progression loop, which any MOBA player will be familiar with," he explained. "You have to level your character up in-game, every game, by killing enemies, going after A.I., and contributing to your team. Then you'll unlock the ability to use these cards. So if you have 10 Scorpions, you can't just call in 10 Scorpions. You actually have an energy system, and that levelling system that will gate you and keep the end-game balanced. And that was really huge--we're multiplayer designers, we can't just make a really unbalanced game. It just wouldn't feel Halo."

343 won't be the sold beneficiary of Halo 5 microtransaction revenue, as a portion of the proceeds will go to the Halo World Championship competitive gaming series.

Yeah basically the whole article. On mobile so i didn't snippet. Feels like they keep repeating themselves. Lol

XAL

There are gonna be so many power weapons and vehicles and bullshit flying around the second half of the Warzone match. Like...the way the game is set up everybody earning and unlocking things at the same time, I just don't see how some guy getting a Plasma Rifle in a paid pack(a pack that you stand just as much of a chance getting with in-game currency) that fires slightly faster and/or has a bigger splash damage is gonna be a big deal. You're all gonna have vehicles in power weapons, man. It won't even matter that somebody maybe got a Spartan Laser in a pack when you and two of your friends got one too.

One-time use weapons, at that! This isn't like Battlefield or Uncharted, where you see some guy comes in every match with a cool gun and you feel trash cuz you aint pay for it. In Warzone, somebody will buy a pack with money and maybe get a cool Sniper that he can only use at around the same time you just unlocked all your cool weapons. If he gets killed in 10 seconds, thats it. Its gone. Well, its on the ground and somebody can pick it up. But he cant spawn with it again. In fact, he has to level up his REQ points to even afford another power weapon.

Its just...not gonna be a big deal lol. Like at all.

After watching a lot of warzone gameplay, I can say it's not going to be a huge deal. You can't even use a lot of the cards until you hit certain REQ levels during the match. Not to mention when you buy something, you basically blow your REQ level load and have to build it up again before you can get another power weapon. It's not like someone will spawn off the bat with a tank or mantis or something.

You're going to be constantly earning REQ points as you continue to play and you'll get a shit load of cards over time.

I'm a hoarder in games, so I'll probably never use any. And it won't diminish the experience in that one game mode.

It's not even remotely close to pay to win.

Zeta Oni

More here. So ppl can stop with their fear posts. ....

Yeah basically the whole article. On mobile so i didn't snippet. Feels like they keep repeating themselves. Lol

Won't matter. The video which breaks it down so even elementary schoolers understand was ignored, and these words will be to.

Most of the people posting this stuff don't care one way or another, it's just a box to check off when looking for something to complain about. The people that honestly are curious about the balance of the microtransactions either know by now, or word their worries alot better than some of these people are.

Won't matter. The video which breaks it down so even elementary schoolers understand was ignored, and these words will be to.

Most of the people posting this stuff don't care one way or another, it's just a box to check off when looking for something to complain about. The people that honestly are curious about the balance of the microtransactions either know by now, or word their worries alot better than some of these people are.

You're right.. Bah i was so hopeful lol

Trup1aya

I keep forgetting about that. However, we also have a history of Halo games that were supposed to match players of equal skill/rank against each other, and that hasn't always worked as intended. I guess we will see.

It's A LOT easier to compare two players' Req collection than it is to figure out how good two players are in relation to each other.

and in a casual mode like Warzone it doesn't have to be an exact science... Just create fairly even teams in terms of Req collections and have fun...

That said, Halo's ranking system has by far given me the most intense, evenly matched multiplayer matches of my life.

To those doubting the micro transaction system, just remember, those that buy them may win at Halo, but you win at life.

I bought the digital deluxe for the REQ bundle. :(

Seriously doubt buying stuff is going to make that much of a difference. If there are two people of equal skill and someone has bought 10 packs and the other person has bought 0, maybe they would edge the non-buyer out, but Warzone doesn't play in a vacuum, there are 20 other dudes on the map as well as A.I. with a bunch of craziness going on. I don't think anyone could notice the difference if they tried.

ironcreed

Banned
Warzone looks like some of the best multiplayer to come around in a long time to me. I think it definitely has the potential to keep me coming back and playing longer.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Warzone looks like some of the best multiplayer to come around in a long time to me. I think it definitely has the potential to keep me coming back and playing longer.

I like it because it seems to be what you want to make it. It seems to be the type of game you can come home and play for a bit casually and be done. The older I get, the more important this is for me. I don't need super serious competitive games all the time.

ironcreed

Banned
I like it because it seems to be what you want to make it. It seems to be the type of game you can come home and play for a bit casually and be done. The older I get, the more important this is for me. I don't need super serious competitive games all the time.

Me and you both.

The Flash

Banned
0mJLEny.gif

wwm0nkey

Can you buy specific costume without going through RNG?
Seems to be loot based. Let's just hope it's not Destiny RNG and takes into account what we've already unlocked, which I'm sure it will since there would be no reason to give you two of the same armor

Madness

No. It's chance, much like Mass Effect 3. They did say that you won't get two of the same permanent item though which armor is. You'll keep getting new permanent items but probably a shitload of the same one time use, until you get it all, but they're going to add tons more so you should be good.

Letting people choose exactly what they want would just kill the economy they're building.

Its the most interest I've had in a multiplayer mode since Firefight. Looks completely batshit, but in a good way ;p

Trup1aya

No, but for permanent items (like armor/costumes), it takes into account what you already have... you'll almost always get atleast one permanent item when you open a pack, some packs guaruntee permanent items...

So you'll surely get that armor you want eventually...

And if you get items you don't want, you can cash them in towards more req packs...

Yoday

I really love this DLC/Microtransaction model. It is the same model that EA used in Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition for the MP. It is balanced in a way that you never feel like you have to buy anything, but you don't fee bad about it if you do. On top of that since everyone gets all of the add on content it never splits the community. This method is win-win, and honestly I'm a little surprised that Battlefront isn't doing something similar. Good on 343i for recognizing the value of this method.

Montresor

Microsoft released a video that literally said something like "If you have the patience of a drunken Chihuahua, you can spend real money on req packs", sarcastically poking fun at anyone that chooses to spend real money on the microtransactions. This is from Microsoft themselves, saying you don't need to spend any money to enjoy the game.

Does that tell anyone anything meaningful? I think people will be surprised at just how generous Halo 5 will be with req packs.

Microsoft released a video that literally said something like "If you have the patience of a drunken Chihuahua, you can spend real money on req packs". This is from Microsoft themselves!

Does that tell anyone anything meaningful? I think people will be surprised at just how generous Halo 5 will be with req packs.

That's irrelevant. It's about an opportunity to be upset, or offended, or disgusted (in case Muse wasn't reason enough).

It's a perfectly acceptable solution. We are getting 18 free maps because of it, and probably 11 more at launch then any other game would release. Life is rough.

I want to confirm, are REQ packs basically like a random loot generator to get armor/weapons for multiplayer?

I'm reading them like earn your chance to get sweet armor/weapons or take a shortcut which is the middle ground of f2p/microtransactions

Bessy67

I want to confirm, are REQ packs basically like a random loot generator to get armor/weapons for multiplayer?

I'm reading them like earn your chance to get sweet armor/weapons or take a shortcut which is the middle ground of f2p/microtransactions
Yeah, it's all completely random. Think Mass Effect 3 MP, PvZ Garden Warfare and Dragon Age Inquisition MP.

Bsigg12

Yes. REQ packs are what armor, helmets, stances, assassinations, weapons, weapons skins, vehicles, emblems and powerups come from. In there only cosmetic unlocks are usable in Arena, the armor, helmets and weapon skins. Everything else is strictly for Warzone. You get REQ packs and points pretty generously just from playing Warzone or Arena so you are by no means ever put in a position to have to buy packs with real money.

Yes. REQ packs are what armor, helmets, stances, assassinations, weapons, weapons skins, vehicles, emblems and powerups come from. In there only cosmetic unlocks are usable in Arena, the armor, helmets and weapon skins. Everything else is strictly for Warzone. You get REQ packs and points pretty generously just from playing Warzone or Arena so you are by no means ever put in a position to have to buy packs with real money.

this sounds very similar to Destiny multiplayer. Which is fine I'll likely stick with the non-hyper competitive gametypes (aka the ones where only cosmetics carry over). Chances are I'll shell out enough money to make something as close to a stormtrooper as possible then go to multi games and miss every shot.

Madness

Yes. Bronze will give you more of the single use stuff like vehicles, special weapons. Silver and Gold are worth more and you have a higher chance to get permanent things like armors or assassinations.

The REQ system works in level so you can't just call down a scorpion and have rockets at the start of the game. When it's the appropriate level, stronger REQ's can be acquired through your level. By the end of the Warzone game, you should start to see it almost play like a heavies as the strong weapons and vehicles come into play.

If you feel like you don't like waiting as long, or that you don't have good weapons you can purchase REQ packs to get what you want. They've said though every couple matches is enough to buy a pack and that doing anything in H5 from arena to campaign gets you points as well I think.

Bsigg12

this sounds very similar to Destiny multiplayer. Which is fine I'll likely stick with the non-hyper competitive gametypes (aka the ones where only cosmetics carry over). Chances are I'll shell out enough money to make something as close to a stormtrooper as possible then go to multi games and miss every shot.

You'll probably want to stick to Warzone then. Arena is the mode built entirely on ranks and skill, and where BTB will reside when it launches later on. Warzone is a giant mesh of AI, vichles and players. There is also a 12v12 mode in Warzone with no AI which we haven't seen yet.

Yes. Bronze will give you more of the single use stuff like vehicles, special weapons. Silver and Gold are worth more and you have a higher chance to get permanent things like armors or assassinations.

The REQ system works in level so you can't just call down a scorpion and have rockets at the start of the game. When it's the appropriate level, stronger REQ's can be acquired through your level. By the end of the Warzone game, you should start to see it almost play like a heavies as the strong weapons and vehicles come into play.

If you feel like you don't like waiting as long, or that you don't have good weapons you can purchase REQ packs to get what you want. They've said though every couple matches is enough to buy a pack and that doing anything in H5 from arena to campaign gets you points as well I think.

Sounds like most people will be getting gold packs except for people who are really hardcore into warzone who will likely get silvers like crazy. Unless you can also use silvers in arena. I'm confused for now but I'm sure I'll get it once the game comes out.

You'll probably want to stick to Warzone then. Arena is the mode built entirely on ranks and skill, and where BTB will reside when it launches later on. Warzone is a giant mesh of AI, vichles and players. There is also a 12v12 mode in Warzone with no AI which we haven't seen yet.

Man I just wanna play griffball dawg

This video helped me understand it (it's not the same Mister Chief video you may have seen):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk72RXZJVo

I was watching this again and it brought up some questions in my head: have we seen any legendary/mythic permanent weapons? Does anyone know if they even exist? And second, that certification that he got in the bronze pack caused a bunch of boltshot cards: do you re-use those certifications if you want to keep getting more of that same type of item if you want? And are certifications always for single use weapons? Not sure we know about any of this stuff yet, just figured I'd throw it out there.

This video helped me understand it (it's not the same Mister Chief video you may have seen):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk72RXZJVo
I see pretty common weapons in those base packs. So is the idea that you're expected to use these cards in each and every match? How much am I going to need to get into these cards to just enjoy myself? Keeping track of my inventory of needlers doesn't sound like fun. Reminds me of Dust 514 were you have to accumulate points to buy loadout items for each spawn.

I have a shitton of Titanfall burn cards but I've never used them and never felt I had to.

XAL

I was watching this again and it brought up some questions in my head: have we seen any legendary/mythic permanent weapons? Does anyone know if they even exist? And second, that certification that he got in the bronze pack caused a bunch of boltshot cards: do you re-use those certifications if you want to keep getting more of that same type of item if you want? And are certifications always for single use weapons? Not sure we know about any of this stuff yet, just figured I'd throw it out there.

This is just my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong.

Only the stuff with grey bottom border are permanent: your default weapons and variants with attachments. The unique/named ones (white bottom border) with damage/capacity/etc increases are always single use.

Certifications allow you to accrue the item in question more often, I believe you get these at random - and by redeeming and using said item. I think if you like using weapon X, you will get more cards from that weapon.

Trup1aya

I'm pretty sure the permanent weapons are just loadout weapons...

Legendary/mythic weapons are power weapons, so they'd be single use

I'm not clear on certifications... I can't tell if they are something you equip, or if they are always active once you obtain them, increasing your chances at certain weapons....

Bessy67

I'm not clear on certifications... I can't tell if they are something you equip, or if they are always active once you obtain them, increasing your chances at certain weapons....
I would assume certifications have a duration attached to them. Otherwise you'll just end up with certifications for all weapons, which would be pretty much the same as having certifications for no weapons.

Trup1aya

I see pretty common weapons in those base packs. So is the idea that you're expected to use these cards in each and every match? How much am I going to need to get into these cards to just enjoy myself? Keeping track of my inventory of needlers doesn't sound like fun. Reminds me of Dust 514 were you have to accumulate points to buy loadout items for each spawn.

I have a shitton of Titanfall burn cards but I've never used them and never felt I had to.

If it's a weapon you'll never use, just cash them in for more req packs...

But unlike TitanFall, I get the feeling your gonna feel pressure to use your req's. once the enemy team starts rolling out in Wraith's, your going to need more than an assault rifle and pistol to defend your base...

The question is will you be the guy who spends often, but cheaply, changing your loadout frequently as situations change... Or will you be the guy saving energy for that one big game changing purchase...

PS... I'll be the guy with the stock pile of plasma pistols, ruining everyone's vehicular plans...

I would assume certifications have a duration attached to them. Otherwise you'll just end up with certifications for all weapons, which would be pretty much the same as having certifications for no weapons.

So you're saying whenever you have a certification card it's essentially active? So if you had, say, 3 cert cards, the reqs you get have a higher chance of getting stuff that matches those certs? What makes me unsure of that is when he got the boltshot cert card, if it went "active" after he got it, it seems you'd see a lot more boltshot cards afterward like you saw when he got the actual cert card, but you don't. Which makes it seem like the cert cards have to be activated somehow before opening new packs.

I don't think they would be timed, my guess is if you don't want that cert, you just sell it.

Well we've seen uncommon and maybe even rare loadout weapons, so I figured maybe there would be higher levels of rarity for them. Just haven't seen any yet.

You can just as easily hijack someone's fancy REQ Ghost as you can any other Ghost that's ever been in a Halo game. You don't need to get into them much to enjoy yourself, as long as you spend your accumulated points on packs every now and then so you have some stuff to use in Warzone, you should be fine.

Personally I am an armor collecting freak so I will be selling all of my non-armor drops for points towards more REQ packs so I can get more permanent armor unlocks.

seems like if there isn't a casual matchmaking for shit like zombies and griffball that's basically just custom games, I'll be spending a lot of time in Arena or asking around in GAF if someone wants to play some griff

seems like if there isn't a casual matchmaking for shit like zombies and griffball that's basically just custom games, I'll be spending a lot of time in Arena or asking around in GAF if someone wants to play some griff

The playlist lineup for launch will be revealed this week according to Josh Holmes. Seems like the best idea is to wait for that.

Top Bottom