• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

16BitNova

Can anyone tell me the deal with Premium Req packs? I know there is the basic Brownze, Silver, and Gold req packs. But, what are these Premium ones? I see you only get them with the LCE (maybe LE too) editions and purchase them separately for 24.99. But, does that mean you can never get Premium in game other than these 2 methods? And do they come with really rare stuff others can't get?

Dubz

I hope there is an admire your gun button like in CSGO. I'm all for free DLC via microtransactions. Way better than splitting up the community.

Can anyone tell me the deal with Premium Req packs? I know there is the basic Brownze, Silver, and Gold req packs. But, what are these Premium ones? I see you only get them with the LCE (maybe LE too) editions and purchase them separately for 24.99. But, does that mean you can never get Premium in game other than these 2 methods? And do they come with really rare stuff others can't get?

The REQs are pulling from the same overall pool of loot, but each higher tier has guaranteed rare to ultra rare to legendary items I believe. Doesn't restrict other tiers from getting said items as well, it's just the drop rate and/or guaranteed attachment.

Glass

I'm pretty sure there's nothing gated behind the premium packs. Everything you can get in there, you can open in the other packs. But in terms of quality they seem like the top pack. The 24.99 is for 14 packs, but you can only open 2 per week.

Say a loot pool has 100 items.

50 common
25 rare
15 ultra rare
10 legendary

Paying for a premium pack would give you a higher chance or guarantee to get items from the 10 legendary and 15 ultra rare items.

A gold pack gives you a smaller chance or guarantee at the legendary and ultra rare and rare items.

A silver pack gives you a chance or guarantee and rare or ultra rare items.

A bronze pack gives you a chance or guarantee at rare items.

Every pack will also give you lower tier stuff as well mixed in with things it's guaranteeing you by it's title.

This is a really bad explanation lol.

Warzone will be just pure fun. The REQs system seems well implemented into the game. Hell I might buy a few REQs with my wallet just to show support for future content and the pro community. It really is a win-win for the player base. Plus free maps. No more weird multiplayer population divide which gets weird after the maps were released.

Its good on 343i to invest in players. To develop a community that is competitive but also wants to have fun its a great thing.

Trup1aya

You'll find all your answers here

Warxard

Banned
It's only optional if you are fine with playing at a disadvantage versus those who paid. I would ask how many hundreds of hours one has to play before they have the full set of multiplayer equipment, but since this game even has one-time-use consumables, it will never stop being pay-to-win.

I'm generally not interested in games that are about grinding, so having to play a ton before you "earn" access to full multiplayer equipment, get equal with veteran players and get an edge over newbies would already be bad in my mind. But when the designers put in the option to bypass the grind by paying, that means they are conceding they don't even really believe the grind is good for the design. They are deliberately shitting on their game to make an extra buck in the usual abusive F2P fashion. There is no excuse for this in a game that has a price tag.

The advantage the paying people get may not be very high, dunno, but it exists. If you don't mind a little P2W in your game, fine, enjoy. But the way some people are jumping to deny the nature of the design, despite it being blatantly obvious, feels like victims defending their abuser. They'll even contradict themselves in a single post - "There's no problem with it, and besides, it's not quite as bad as what those other developers are doing!"

The devs are not forced to choose between paid map updates and pay-to-win DLC. They could just do cosmetic DLC and still make plenty of money, on top of the full game price they are already asking up front. Look at CS:GO - it has the lottery / Skinner box thing going on, but it doesn't give an unfair advantage to anyone. But that's not enough. Halo has to print money, fuck good game design if that's what it takes.

...so...play...Arena?

Armor is cosmetic.
Weapon skins are cosmetic.
Helmets are cosmetic.
Special weapons are restricted to ONE gametype. JUST one. THAT ISNT the competitive gametype, Arena.

Play arena.

...so...play...Arena?

Armor is cosmetic.
Weapon skins are cosmetic.
Helmets are cosmetic.
Special weapons are restricted to ONE gametype. JUST one. THAT ISNT the competitive gametype, Arena.

Play arena.

So your solution to a P2W concern is that someone just shouldnt play a large part of the game they paid for?

Nice.

Warxard

Banned
So your solution to a P2W concern is that someone just shouldnt play a large part of the game they paid for?

Nice.

From Water's quote.

"I'm generally not interested in games that are about grinding, so having to play a ton before you "earn" access to full multiplayer equipment, get equal with veteran players and get an edge over newbies would already be bad in my mind. But when the designers put in the option to bypass the grind by paying, that means they are conceding they don't even really believe the grind is good for the design. They are deliberately shitting on their game to make an extra buck in the usual abusive F2P fashion. There is no excuse for this in a game that has a price tag."

If Water wasn't interested in the artificial grind in Warzone that involves leveling your character mid-game to use the REQs, then he can just play Arena where everything is equal and equally designed. The fact that he quotes CS:GO later in the post confirms that Warzone as a gametype is just not something he would be interested in

one of the biggest criticisms of Halo 4's MP is EXACTLY what Water describes in the bolded sentence. The developers saw this was a poor choice and fixed it for the sake of competitive play in Arena.

Why is it WRONG for the developer to have options for the player of certain preferences? To let the player choose how they spend the time with the game? WHERE is the P2W concern, in an already unbalanced 'for fun' gametype that's NOT DESIGNED competitively???

The poster, Water, had a clear fucking description as to how he wanted to play the game, and that option is available in the game as multiple posters had pointed out to him. If the Pay to Win option had affective the competitive gametype, then YEAH you would have a valid case.

Warzone isn't meant to be competitive. It's not meant to be balanced. It's a pure 'for fun' experience.

Nice.
The solution is to not buy if it's that big of a problem to them. 343 has been incredibly transparent about what they're implementing so it should come as no surprise to anyone involved.

I did the Req promo in the opening post and got my Req pack but I replayed the videos for my brother so he could see them and it game me a second different code that was accepted, anyone else had this happen?

Blueblur1

Regarding the pay-to-win argument: If 343 has been accurate with what they've described, decent players will still be able to win with only the REQs they buy with the in-game Req Points. From what 343 has said you won't be able to reach the higher levels mid-match if you aren't playing well enough. Time will tell if they actually have it tuned that way though (or if the game lets you level mid-match very easily negating the leveling mechanic).

Caayn

Warzone doesn't really play like that.

Honestly, all the negativity really is unwarranted.
I've seen enough of the game mode to have a good grasp of what I think about it and what it is.

Gambling center is a bit of a hyperbole, yes. I'll stay with what I said before and that is to avoid the warzone mode altogether.

Bsigg12

I've seen enough of the game mode to have a good grasp of what I think about it and what it is.

Gambling center is a bit of a hyperbole, yes. I'll stay with what I said before and that is to avoid the warzone mode altogether.

Don't do this. Once the Halo 5 OT goes up, get a group of Gaffers together and go in. It might be the most fun you have.

VinFTW

Came in to say this. It's really sad that people are eating this sort of stuff up nowadays. :/

There is NO pay to win mechanics in Halo 5. l2 energy/req level system ya bk, shit wont make a difference.

Not to mention you get packs every game or two.

Quit whining.

Will you explain why can't they be fair?
Someone who spends full price on a game should not have to spend more to get extra content that is already made for the game. Microtransactions as a method of getting "points" that can also be earned through gameplay intrinsically affects how those points will be earned - the devs aren't going to ass in microtransactions that they don't think anyone will buy, after all, that's business. As a result, any and all microtransactions in $60 games are every bit as vile as on-disc dlc in my eyes.

I suppose the microtransactions are "fair" as in they do not offer a gameplay benefit, but they are still scummy and unfair to consumers.

Came in to say this. It's really sad that people are eating this sort of stuff up nowadays. :/
People are weighing the pros and cons. 343 claims that this microtransaction (in an isolated playlist) is being used to offset the cost of developing free map packs and for a lot of people, that's a fair trade.

VinFTW

Someone who spends full price on a game should not have to spend more to get extra content that is already made for the game. Microtransactions as a method of getting "points" that can also be earned through gameplay intrinsically affects how those points will be earned - the devs aren't going to ass in microtransactions that they don't think anyone will buy, after all, that's business. As a result, any and all microtransactions in $60 games are every bit as vile as on-disc dlc in my eyes.

Damn, this is just embarrassing. You don't even understand the basic REQ card system :/

lol

Really don't know why ya'll even bother arguing with people who don't even fuckin understand the thing they're complaining about. They just see "Microtranscations" as this unstoppable evil boogeyman of gaming and whine about any and all implementations, regardless of execution, trade-offs, benefits, impact on game design, range of its coverage, etc.

some kid will pay $3 to get a Scorpion tank 50 seconds before you get a Scorpion tank in a casual bait BTB mode

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Warxard

Banned

I suppose the microtransactions are "fair" as in they do not offer a gameplay benefit, but they are still scummy and unfair to consumers.

Well, it's a good thing you can unlock the same, randomized content by earning it as well and the purchasing route isn't the oly one.

You can't immediately buy anything unlock you want with money, it's all part of a randomized unlock system to keep the earning process fair.

How are they unfair to consumers? The people who DON'T want to spend money on the MTs aren't forced by the developer at all. It would only be unfair to consumers if purchasing WAS the only way to go.

Quit whining.
This is a thread for discussing this stuff ya know.

And I really do hope you guys are right and that there's no appreciable advantage, but the less advantage there is to gain, the less people would feel compelled to purchase these things, so until we can actually play it how can we really know?

This thread is funny. People ask how this system could be considered pay-to-win, get responses about the advantages a paying player has over a non-paying one, only to have people deflect and say its not pay-to-win because its only in one mode and you can avoid playing that mode. That's neither here nor there and makes for bizarre reading.

Again, I want you guys to be right, because a model that covers post-launch support is exactly what these games need, and Warzone looks fantastic. Just don't want the cards and the REQ system to overshadow the gameplay or even just basic fair play.

some kid will pay $3 to get a Scorpion tank 50 seconds before you get a Scorpion tank in a casual bait BTB mode
You can't pay to bring things in early, but the paying player might be the only one with the Scorpion Tank card while the non-paying player has diddly squat to choose from. That would make for more than a negligible advantage.

VinFTW

And I really do hope you guys are right and that there's no appreciable advantage, but the less advantage there is to gain, the less people would feel compelled to purchase these things, so until we can actually play it how can we really know?

This thread is funny. People ask how this system could be considered pay-to-win, get responses about the advantages a paying player has over a non-paying one, only to have people deflect and say its not pay-to-win because its only in one mode and you can avoid playing that mode. That's neither here nor there and makes for bizarre reading.

Again, I want you guys to be right, because a model that covers post-launch support is exactly what these games need, and Warzone looks fantastic. Just don't want the cards and the REQ system to overshadow the gameplay or even just basic fair play.

I know what I'm talking about. Regardless, even if I didn't, he doesn't even understand the basic systems at work lol

lol

Really don't know why ya'll even bother arguing with people who don't even fuckin understand the thing they're complaining about. They just see "Microtranscations" as this unstoppable evil boogeyman of gaming and whine about any and all implementations, regardless of execution, trade-offs, benefits, impact on game design, range of its coverage, etc.

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Truth.

Warxard

Banned

What advantage does the paying player have? The removal of the grinding process of earning packs? What use is that advantage when the REQ pack is still completely at the whim of the RNG process? Do you think that players that pay get a ticket to ride and unlock everything immediately at the start by paying another $60 worth of packs? Who says you won't get duplicates of the same card you already own? Who says there isn't a limit to how many cards you can have on you

Fuck, I'm trying to simplify this in some sort of flowchart to see where I can spot this paid player advantage.

A player who puts his real money towards buying REQ packs
>Start Game > Requisitions Menu > Buy basic pack > RNG! > Get Cards.

A player who puts time into earning currency for REQ packs
>Start Game > Req Menu > Play match and earn currency > buy basic pack > RNG! > Get Cards.

But what are the cards? What are the rarity of the items? did the RNG give you GREAT cards or a gaggle of shits that are disposable? Did it give you a skin you already have, or a tank you already have?????

If you could DIRECTLY buy these WARZONE effecting items to use in WARZONE, then yes. You would have an argument. But so far the only thing I see is a step being skipped for the person who will pay real money for a pack.

Both the paid player and the free player STILL HAS TO GO THROUGH THE RNG BULSHIT.

I don't understand. Where is the advantage.

Trup1aya

How are they unfair to customers? You don't HAVE to buy them... You can get them the old fashioned way...

You suggest that the option to pay suggests the grind is lengthened to encourage payment... How can you be so sure that MT free Halo would be more generous with unlocks me items?

It seems to me that items unlock at an abnormally fast rate for such a scheme... In this case... The encouragement to purchase req pack stems not from how LONG it takes to get things... But the sheer amount of things there are to get... That's good problem to have.

And the cosmetics will ever the main draw... It will be exciting to get power weapons... But their overall effect on the outcome of Warzone matches is to minimal to be the main draw for MT purchases.

For a guy like me, having a lot of stuff to play for adds value to the game... Others value getting everything quickly and wouldn't mine paying for my DLC to get it.... Well, they can have it their way too... As long as any advantages are negligible (which they are) I don't see why we can't all just get along.

Because if they were fair, there would be no incentive to pay for them.
I've seen videos of Warzone as well as people opening these packs. From casually playing the game, they had way more REQ items than they could use. The people who will be spending the money on this are the people who want the cosmetic items.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Man I wish every MP game would do something like this. Just give us free maps for everyone and I wouldn't care if you wanted to bombard the game with microtransactions as long as they're in a separate mode and/or for cosmetic stuff.

Greatest decision 343 ever made.

Warxard

Banned

You can still pay for something and still have an incentive to pay for it, and that something can still be fair??????

People maybe want to buy a card pack, because they don't want to grind for (easily obtainable) currency. A step-skipper.

You can't pay to bring things in early, but the paying player might be the only one with the Scorpion Tank card while the non-paying player has diddly squat to choose from. That would make for more than a negligible advantage.

That would be an incredibly slim, specific window that could rarely happen in the game and that would have to depend on the entire opposite team of twelve players not having anything to take down the tank. Keep in mind, Warzone is a team game still.

---

Gamers, man. MTs are the new 'Red Scare' of this shitty industry lmao. Muh console garden is being tainted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

As someone who has less than zero interest in Warzone, I never see this in action in any video. Eventually, level 7 REQs become available around the same time, and ok maybe you don't get a Scorpion tank, but you have a Banshee or a Mantis or a Spartan Laser. You're not exactly defenseless, firing your peashooters at this unstoppable thing.

Honestly, I think the main appeal of buying REQ packs are gonna be for cosmetic stuff. A month from now we're gonna laugh about this great big fear of dudes buying REQ packs and dominating the game.

Bingo. Microstransactions are made to be paid for, after all, and the scheme will naturally follow from that. Otherwise they wouldn't be there are all - it'd be stupid to add in microtransactions that you don't think people would pay for. After all, having microtransactions at all in a full-price game is a big negative in a lot of people's eyes.

You can't pay to bring things in early, but the paying player might be the only one with the Scorpion Tank card while the non-paying player has diddly squat to choose from.
At a minimum, the benefits of anyone buying cards should be short-lived as the people earning credits through game-play will eventually catch up. Not sure how long it will take theoretically to get everything without paying though.

After all, having microtransactions at all in a full-price game is a big negative in a lot of people's eyes.

Its either this or $40 DLC/Season Passes like all the other AAA shooters this year like Destiny, CoD, Battlefront, etc. You can check the Battlefront thread right here to see how that's been received.

Consider this a lesser of two evils. At least now you can just buy the game and not have to worry about buying Map DLC if you don't want to get left behind by the community and the developers.

ironcreed

Banned
Its either this or $40 DLC/Season Passes like all the other AAA shooters this year like Destiny, CoD, Battlefront, etc. You can check the Battlefront thread right here to see how that's been received.

Consider this a lesser of two evils.

I definitely do. It seems like it will not take away from the game at all. Besides, the multiplayer is always just a nice big bonus to a great campaign for me. I will more than get my satisfaction out of it.

Not to mention that all of the free maps and such will likely make me come back to the multiplayer more than I normally would. Can't beat that.

Consider this a lesser of two evils.

Lesser of two evils didnt have to be stuff that impacted gameplay. Armors and weapon skins would have been enough.

At a minimum, the benefits of anyone buying cards should be short-lived as the people earning credits through game-play will eventually catch up.
I get the same feeling. Depending upon how well matchmaking works to group new players against new players (or group players with different REQ collections together), the real imbalance would be in new players versus experienced players - a disadvantage already present in any multiplayer game based upon unlocking new equipment or attachments - only in this case you can spend some money to try and pad yourself out with a decent amount of gear before jumping into the mayhem. In theory anyway.

Maybe 343 has tuned this to perfection. Maybe not. Either way I'll definitely be playing some Warzone and so I guess I'll see for myself.

Warxard

Banned
Bingo. Microstransactions are made to be paid for, after all, and the scheme will naturally follow from that. Otherwise they wouldn't be there are all - it'd be stupid to add in microtransactions that you don't think people would pay for. After all, having microtransactions at all in a full-price game is a big negative in a lot of people's eyes.

But why are the microtransactions made to be paid for? In the context of this game, what are they used for? Is it used as an advantage? (No, the 'advantage' is virtually nonexistent considering how the game works) Is it used as an alternate currency system that's difficult to earn in game? (Again, no.) Like the MTs in Halo is virtually just another option for people who don't want to grind.

I completely understand microtransactions in general being in full priced games is a negative, but that's mostly because of the poor stigma that MTs have on a completely seperate platform. Has any publisher in the console space done something notoriously baffling in the console space in regards to MTs that made the game design fucked in the process of adding them?

Lesser of two evils didnt have to be stuff that impacted gameplay. Armors and weapon skins would have been enough.

Why do you care about gameplay being effected in a mode that's not designed to be competitively tuned?

Bessy67

(I'm sure this has been asked before)

Question: Are all of the preorder bonuses (gamestop, walmart, amazon) of the skins/armor pieces obtainable through random REQ packs, or are they exclusive?
You can get the retailer stuff in req packs. There are a couple things that you can only get in certain ways though, like the Helioskril helmet/armor for beating Halo 1-4 on legendary in MCC.

I get the same feeling. Depending upon how well matchmaking works to group new players against new players (or group players with different REQ collections together), the real imbalance would be in new players versus experienced players - a disadvantage already present in any multiplayer game based upon unlocking new equipment or attachments - only in this case you can spend some money to try and pad yourself out with a decent amount of gear before jumping into the mayhem. In theory anyway.

Maybe 343 has tuned this to perfection. Maybe not. Either way I'll definitely be playing some Warzone and so I guess I'll see for myself.
Yeah same. I know there are plenty of people concerned about the micro-transaction system, but on the other hand, 343 is putting out a ton of maps for no charge in an effort to keep the population together and strong. So I'm kind of willing to concede the micro-transactions if that allows the developers more time to put their efforts into additional free content.

Top Bottom