• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

FFS, I don't care care how fair a micro transaction system is, I am buying console games so I don't have to deal with it. After the MCC collection and the Halo 5 beta, I was already on the fence, but this pushes me to wait and see. Might as well play a mobile game.

I'm new here and learning the ropes, so just for educational purposes, is this whats called a "drive by" post?

Also, a mobile game? lol.

I love people who lose their minds over microtransactions. I'm no fan of pay to win but this doesnt seem like that to me and I'm not against people who make the games getting paid. I'm not one of those who thinks nothing should cost more than 59.99.

Did you even read about it, or did you just see the word "microtransaction" and shut down?

I watched Mister Chief, was actually funny lol. It just adds another element of meta that I don't want to deal with. But the fact you can buy it with real money, REALLY rubs me the wrong way. But all you positive people about micro transactions, are going be very happy mobile players in future.

Bsigg12

I watched Mister Chief, was actually funny lol. It just adds another element of meta that I don't want to deal with. But the fact you can buy it with real money, REALLY rubs me the wrong way. But all you positive people about micro transactions, are going be very happy mobile players in future.

Don't play Warzone. It's that simple if microtransactions bother you that much.

Blueblur1

You could probably still kick a lot of ass in Warzone matches as soon as you get common starter weapons like the BR. Which will probably drop in your first REQ pack you get since they start you off with REQ Points.

Or don't play Warzone at all.

Lothars

Most of these people that talk shit about MTs and the game in general haven't spent more than 1 minute to get information about what the game offers for $60, they just read the title come in here post some bullshit about MTs and nothing to back it up.
I don't agree that they don't seem to know information about halo 5 but there are some really good things announced and some big negatives of the game, I think one of the Best things are all dlc is going to be free.

I'm looking forward to it myself but also incredibly wary of it to .

Don't play Warzone. It's that simple if microtransactions bother you that much.

So I should loose a portion of the game that I bought for full price, because of a business model, awesome. What some people don't get, companies are experimenting with how much they can get away with for the future. If we give in console gaming will die, because in about a decade there won't be any difference between mobile and consoles and developers will just choose mobile, mostly because of the huge player base and much friendlier business models.

I hope I am wrong, and things can change, but so far it doesn't look good. Anyway this is just my opinion enjoy your Halo 5 guys and girls.

Glass

In what other microtransation game can you kill someone and take their one time use weapon which they spent real money for?

Actually not spending a cent and stealing other peoples stuff could end up being the most fun way to play Warzone.

Bessy67

I don't get why people wouldn't be happy that some people who want to spend some money on random loot packs that really won't give any advantage are funding all the DLC maps for everyone who plays the game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I should loose a portion of the game that I bought for full price, because of a business model, awesome. What some people don't get, companies are experimenting with how much they can get away with for the future. If we give in console gaming will die, because in about a decade there won't be any difference between mobile and consoles and developers will just choose mobile, mostly because of the huge player base and much friendlier business models.

I hope I am wrong, and things can change, but so far it doesn't look good. Anyway this is just my opinion enjoy your Halo 5 guys and girls.

You can win in Warzone just fine without buying anything.

Put your knickers in the fridge for a minute.

Juanfp

I am ready for 343 making Halo 7 Lumia exclusive.

Vire

You can win in Warzone just fine without buying anything.

Put your knickers in the fridge for a minute.
Tough day for poor sprinkles.
Halo 5 leaks, whiners on GAF complain about micro transactions.... and worst of all, sea chickens lose in overtime.

REQ packs, not even once. Fucking LOL mate, calm down.

You can earn them by playing OR buying.

Dynasty8

You're losing a portion of the game because you can't get over your hate for something completely optional.

Honestly, the reason why the more informed fans "defend" this game is because some of the stubborn comments are just absolute nonsense.

"Halo 4 Part 2" or "I won't be getting this due to Microtransactions"... Just doesn't make sense.

wwm0nkey

You're losing a portion of the game because you can't get over your hate for something completely optional.

Honestly, the reason why the more informed fans "defend" this game is because some of the stubborn comments are just absolute nonsense.

"Halo 4 Part 2" or "I won't be getting this due to Microtransactions"... Just doesn't make sense.

You're not even losing anything, play 5 games and get a gold pack for free. So he's not going to be missing anything from the game.

Head.spawn

I could get all of this hostility, if maybe you were forced to buy REQs to remain competitive; but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Also, I don't think it's weird that people are happy to see that the micro transactions do not affect their ability to play the game. As opposed to games that force you to buy DLC weapons to gain critical weapons and abilities to stay competitive in a multiplayer setting.

Whatever floats your boat though; I can understand being opposed to it, but you can play with out ever purchasing it, I know for sure I won't. Some people will though; they'll help the game earn money and I know for sure I'm going to reap the benefits of that in the way of free DLC and continued support. That's kind of huge IMO, it should be standard.

Warxard

Banned
I'm starting to get the impression that it isn't the best time to be a Halo fan on NeoGAF. I mean, there's no way that with how 343 's been transparent without Halo 5 that people still (in some instances justifiably) are confused about the whole thing. :/

I think it's perfectly fine to refuse to support a concept on principle, but using a different platform's application of said concept to compare it to the console platform and how it's used in most game isn't very...good. I mean, has there been a console game with MTs that have grossly abused it? MGS5 and x Tekken comes to mind, but MGS5 is a case of Konami straying away from the gaming industry and Capcom has learned VERY well from the mistakes of x Tekken.

My point is: Why not support the good use of a concept like MTs to show the industry that this can be used for a greater good? REQs don't effect balancing outside of the grossly unbalanced gametype, gives players a choice of customization that is solely cosmetic, is inexpensive and easy to earn in-game as a traditional unlock, and supports the competitive scene and casual scene by constantly providing free content?

This game still seems a lot like Halo 4: Part 2.

This is fair criticism that I can actually agree with. I know people are still not for laerge maps and sprint, and prefer the traditional playstyle of Halo but I think H5 is doing it's best to cater to that audience.

Someone who throws a fortune into cards gets to spend their match level and points on whatever power weapons etc. they want, while someone who didn't pay doesn't get that choice. Pay to win.

But there's a barrier to using those power weapons thanks to the leveling system in Warzone. you can't just use an RPG card and just spawn it immediately. It takes time to build meter, and you can't pay to build meter anyway.

So it's still a level playing field. You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Well I mean, not everyone follows the slow IV news feed drip of Halo marketing plans, so it's completely understandable that people are just hearing about this now. That being said, Halo fans don't have a retreat or community page anymore which is very unfortunate and I hope NeoGAF admins change their mind about that in time for H5.

That's definitely a shame regarding the community news. :c

Is it fair to argue that the drop of news for Halo is slow? I mean for the past two weeks we've been getting consistent information up until the game going gold, and it's not as if Stinkles (who I assume is 343 CM) isn't getting the info across.

Vire

I'm starting to get the impression that it isn't the best time to be a Halo fan on NeoGAF. I mean, there's no way that with how 343 's been transparent without Halo 5 that people still (in some instances justifiably) are confused about the whole thing. :/
Well I mean, not everyone follows the slow IV news feed drip of Halo marketing plans, so it's completely understandable that people are just hearing about this now. That being said, Halo fans don't have a retreat or community page anymore which is very unfortunate and I hope NeoGAF admins change their mind about that in time for H5.

Because in Warzone you could theoretically keep purchasing packs for power weapons and power vehicles to help you win. There is elements of pay to win in here... but it's at the very least contained to one game type.

Sorry for being late on the reply. They already addressed this with matchmaking though. It has been confirmed that matchmaking for warzone is also looking at how many powerful REQ's people have. For example if a group of players have barely any high level req's the matchmaking will try to put someone who either has alot, or a bunch of people with a medium amount with people that need that kind of help.

Or if one person just has a boat ton of OP REQ's then he will get paired with a bunch of people that dont have that many. Idk how well this system will work but it seems like even if you use your credit card to get a billion good REQ's you will most likely be using them to carry endless amounts of teams that dont have many.

This is however not flawless since you could always built up a full squad of 12 people. that eliminates you from getting teams with barely any REQ's and such.

I just think over all its far less pay to win than some are making it seem. I would love this system over the old dlc practice of segmenting the community between different packs.

Synner117

Neo Member
I don't understand how people are interpreting REQ packs to be a bad thing. The system is set up to make sure matches are fairly balanced (energy). If matching people who bought a bunch of packs bothers you then play a lot of arena and avoid Warzone until you can buy tons of gold packs. It's not that hard to figure out. Enjoy the game, earn points, buy packs. Nothing here is behind a paywall. If anything it's behind a "play" wall and real money just speeds up the process while also allowing us to receive free maps and items for months to come.

I watched one Warzone video the other day and the guy playing went to a REQ station, spent all of his REQ energy to use his one time use legendary Incineration Cannon, and once he got it, he walked out of his base, fired it once, missed, and a common Ghost ran him over killing him instantly and dropping the weapon on the ground for anyone to pick up.

I think it will be fine. Let's not forget they start you with 54 free REQs as well as 7500 points, which is enough to buy the most expensive type of REQ pack if you play three short Arena matches.

Vire

I don't understand how people are interpreting REQ packs to be a bad thing. The system is set up to make sure matches are fairly balanced (energy). If matching people who bought a bunch of packs bothers you then play a lot of arena and avoid Warzone until you can buy tons of gold packs. It's not that hard to figure out. Enjoy the game, earn points, buy packs. Nothing here is behind a paywall. If anything it's behind a "play" wall and real money just speeds up the process while also allowing us to receive free maps and items for months to come.
Devils advocate: Grinding in one mode that I may not want to play to stay competitive in another mode that I do want to play doesn't exactly sound like fun or good game design.

Sure I could get play Arena mode in Hearthstone after grinding out to get 150 coins... But is that fun or rewarding? What if I just want to play Arena all the time?

Isn't that the rub in any free to play game? They make shit annoying to get and make the player do things they don't want to do until they eventually shell out their hard earned dollars.

Pretty much how I see it. People are focusing on the ONE potential negative of some people having a huge stock of power weapons but they have to build up & burn energy to even use them so its not really pay to win lol. You cant just call in tons of power stuff since you have to build up energy like everyone else.

The whole "i pay 60$ for this game so it should have no microtransactions" is just really flawed & selfish.

You dont HAVE to pay. Everything is unlockable in a timely fashion via normal playing. Their estimates of how many points you get per arena or warzone were probably based on bad playtesters. just like the average normal campaign run they estimate is 12 hours, i guarantee a good halo player can do it in 7 lol Same goes for the req points. i guarantee if you are good you will get alot more req points per arena / warzone match.

in the end this is all helping the community. adding money to the already big prize pools for HCS tournaments, free maps, req's & upgrades to forge. This req system is one of the best things to happen to halo imo. Im tired of amazing dlc maps getting wasted cause almost no one buys them and they never show up in matchmaking =/

Devils advocate: Grinding in one mode that I may not want to play to stay competitive in another mode that I do want to play doesn't exactly sound like fun or good game design.

Sure I could get play Arena mode in Hearthstone after grinding out to get 150 coins... But is that fun or rewarding? What if I just want to play Arena all the time?

Isn't that the rub in any free to play game? They make shit annoying to get and make the player do things they don't want to do until they eventually shell out their hard earned dollars.

Who said you had to grind one mode to be competitive in another? Nothing you earn in warzone is essential in arena & vice versa lol. Arena is 100% the normal sandbox & only cosmetics are involved. Nothing you earn in warzone will help you play better in arena.

And vice versa. Arena simply earns you req points like any other mp mode. You can buy packs & unlock cosmetics or stuff to use in warzone. but you are in no way forced or obligated to ever even go in warzone. 343 is heavy on choice with this system. you could never play warzone in your life and still be completely unaffected in arena.

IronWarrior

Neo Member
This is fair criticism that I can actually agree with. I know people are still not for laerge maps and sprint, and prefer the traditional playstyle of Halo but I think H5 is doing it's best to cater to that audience.

I fit into this category. I feel that Warzone is going to be more along the lines of the chaotic Halo 4 Infinity BTB rather than the more controlled classic Big Team Battles. There was definitely a fair amount of chaos in the old BTB, but you always had the knowledge of how you were killed with what weapon/vehicle that spawned at what position. I'm for sure going to give it a try, but I think I'll end up just playing Arena until BTB comes along.

This is definitely true. There is some advantage to just buying tons of REQ packs instead of grinding them out without paying, although it will likely end up being pretty minimal overall. Most power weapons in Halo are only useful in specific circumstances. That said, it will for sure be a different experience than one where the weapons spawn on maps in a non-random way.

I can't help but feel that 50% of Warzone's design stems from the idea of "bring everything into the multiplayer sandbox!" (which is something the community has asked for a lot) and the other 50% is a requirement to create a monetization model. I'm not blaming 343 for this, since they obviously need some sort of post launch income, and free maps is really great. As well, this doesn't affect Arena at all. I just wonder how different the mode would be designed if there was no requirement to integrate some sort of microtransaction system into it.

Ill play the REQ how I play HOTS.

Not spending a single penny. The plus side is EVERYTHING can be earned without spending a penny in REQ.

People just don't want to see others happily playing Halo. Maybe this is payback when ppl go into COD threads and poop over their parade. haha nah idk.

GOT ME LE edition and I cant wait for those req packs!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Ill play the REQ how I play HOTS.

Not spending a single penny. The plus side is EVERYTHING can be earned without spending a penny in REQ.

People just don't want to see others happily playing Halo. Maybe this is payback when ppl go into COD threads and poop over their parade. haha nah idk.

GOT ME LE edition and I cant wait for those req packs!
I'll spend some money on microtransactions on purpose as a reward to 343i for implementing it in this way. It's so rare these days that devs go out of their way to institute a microtransaction system that minimizes negative impact. Hopefully they are setting a precedent and others will follow (though PvZ did it like this as well).
I know the entry $60 is enough of a thank you or reward, but I have a feeling that I will value this game at >$60, and if such I will buy a few packs with the above purpose.

Dynasty8

I'll spend some money on microtransactions on purpose as a reward to 343i for implementing it in this way. It's so rare these days that devs go out of their way to institute a microtransaction system that minimizes negative impact. Hopefully they are setting a precedent and others will follow (though PvZ did it like this as well).
I know the entry $60 is enough of a thank you or reward, but I have a feeling that I will value this game at >$60, and if such I will buy a few packs with the above purpose.

3748023.gif

Some times I just want to quote someone and say that youre fucking stubborn and stupid.

I dont mind, never gonna spent a cent on it though. Like the grind.

Yeah I'm probably lying to myself. .. there 2 to 3 bucks right? That is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. For example a Boost pack for 9.99 lol

d5KYZZo.gif

Yeah I'm probably lying to myself. .. there 2 to 3 bucks right? That is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. For example a Boost pack for 9.99 lol

Pretty much. They are dirt cheap. Its hard to believe. I seriously thought it would be 5$ minimum.

Gwyn

Same here instead i am going with Digital Deluxe. The fact that money generated through REQ packs is going into HCS prize pool is sooo good and can bring halo back into e-sports, i remember DOTA did the same thing and the prizepool was around $15 mil...thats insane, i doubt halo will ever reach that amount but it's good to see that they care about the competitive scene.

Yo, can I exchange my Disk for a digtal code?

Kinda wish I went all digital, I hate swapping disks now and wish I could just load with a couple clicks while in the comfort of my couch....

I know the answer is no :(

daffy

Banned
What happened to the Halo Community Thread.

Time to rouse Rumpelstiltskin again so I can save up enough gold to buy an Xbox One this month. :/

Pizza

I seriously don't see the issue with REQ packs in their current implementation. Literally at all.

If a gold REQ pack is 10000 in-game points OR three United states green rectangles you COULD merely spend the 10000 imaginary currency that you have earned by doing nothing but playing the game. Keep in mind that it seems this imaginary currency's sole purpose is for these req packs.

Or you can slap down three smackaroons and spin the wheel.

Also all the formerly-paid dlc is free because of this system. All of those megatransactions splitting the userbase no longer exist. If you buy the base game and don't pay another cent you still get all the maps.

Or you can decide to toss 343 some bills and get an extra req pack, on top of what you're already earning in game.

Someone explain this issue to me.

The req packs give you, at best, a negligable advantage in ONE gamemode. You can't buy lots of super assault rifles for real money. You can still only hold two weapons. You're just getting more options FASTER. Everyone will still be able to earn those same randomly assorted cards by paying nothing.

Vire

I seriously don't see the issue with REQ packs in their current implementation. Literally at all.

If a gold REQ pack is 10000 in-game points OR three United states green rectangles you COULD merely spend the 10000 imaginary currency that you have earned by doing nothing but playing the game. Keep in mind that it seems this imaginary currency's sole purpose is for these req packs.

Or you can slap down three smackaroons and spin the wheel.

Also all the formerly-paid dlc is free because of this system. All of those megatransactions splitting the userbase no longer exist. If you buy the base game and don't pay another cent you still get all the maps.

Or you can decide to toss 343 some bills and get an extra req pack, on top of what you're already earning in game.

Someone explain this issue to me.

The req packs give you, at best, a negligable advantage in ONE gamemode. You can't buy lots of super assault rifles for real money. You can still only hold two weapons. You're just getting more options FASTER. Everyone will still be able to earn those same randomly assorted cards by paying nothing.
I mean all they had to do was keep the micro transactions purely cosmetic and you wouldnt have had any of whining and complaining in this thread. Anytime you bring in something that can alter gameplay and provide a tactical advantage, you obviously invite yourself to warranted criticism. I don't see anything that outlandish in this thread to be honest.

All of the great F2P games or micro transaction models are always based upon aesthetic changes, like hats or costumes in DOTA2. This should have been no different.

It is what it is though, and surely won't deter me from getting a new Halo.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean all they had to do was keep the micro transactions purely cosmetic and you wouldnt have had any of whining and complaining. Anytime you bring in something that can alter gameplay and provide a tactical advantage, you invite yourself to warranted criticism. I don't see anything that outlandish in this thread.

All of the great F2P games or micro transaction models are always based upon aesthetic changes, like hats or costumes in DOTA2.

Be interested to see how you feel about it after a month. Not in a judgy way, genuine curiosity.

Gwyn

Worst case scenario if it turns out unbalanced they can fix it by unlocking only cosmetic stuff from REQ purchased with $.

The req packs give you, at best, a negligable advantage in ONE gamemode.
I really do hope the advantages in having a lot of these cards do turn out to be negligible. A model like this done right would be awesome.

So on paper this idea sounds pretty damn good, but until we see it in the wild we won't know how much pressure will be put on players to buy those packs. If some of these cards are powerful enough to completely turn the tide of a match, that could change things. Dunno. I'm cautiously optimistic.

But man, these card pack systems are in a lot of AAA games these days.

I mean all they had to do was keep the micro transactions purely cosmetic and you wouldnt have had any of whining and complaining in this thread.
Agreed on this. Or they could have put the game-changing stuff in purely co-op modes like campaign. Still, on balance it looks like the best of these systems I've seen on the consoles, though with a few caveats: (competitive advantages, paying real money for single-use or otherwise expendable items).

It's usually the people that are well-informed and take the time to explain things though, whereas the drive-by posts that make misinformed claims out of seemingly nowhere are just that...misinformed.

Yep. I agree. There needs to be some compromise with the microtransactions thing. This is the lesser of a lot of evils, and if it gets us 21 mp maps at launch and then 18 released for free over the next year, then awesome. As long as I don't have to buy or feel like I'm at a disadvantage I could care less what other people spend their money on.

Seeing as there is no HaloGAF to ask one off questions instead of new threads...

Does the new Xbox Win10 dash drop before H5 releases?

xboxnerd

Banned
Seeing as there is no HaloGAF to ask one off questions instead of new threads...

Does the new Xbox Win10 dash drop before H5 releases?

No. The original plan was to release it in November, and there was a rumor that it is delayed to December.

On topic:
I really like this model, it won't affect gameplay that much, and also I believe I will stick with Arena so only cosmetic changes.

I really do hope the advantages in having a lot of these cards do turn out to be negligible. A model like this done right would be awesome.

So on paper this idea sounds pretty damn good, but until we see it in the wild we won't know how much pressure will be put on players to buy those packs. If some of these cards are powerful enough to completely turn the tide of a match, that could change things. Dunno. I'm cautiously optimistic.

But man, these card pack systems are in a lot of AAA games these days.

Agreed on this. Or they could have put the game-changing stuff in purely co-op modes like campaign. Still, on balance it looks like the best of these systems I've seen on the consoles, though with a few caveats: (competitive advantages, paying real money for single-use or otherwise expendable items).

Great thing none is only cosmetic req is applied to arena.Oh and xp/point gain boosts.

Why noone post the new req packs via halowaypoint?

halo-5-req-reveal-ea699b434ad642bca4e41bc528acfa86.png

1000s at launch and so many more later! Mmmm

As a reminder, a portion of the proceeds from the sale of any REQ packs (including the Warzone REQ Bundle) will be added to the prize pool for the Halo World Championship we announced at gamescom, as well as supporting the release of free maps & REQ content post-launch.

NEW REQ CONTENT
One of the coolest parts of the REQ System is it gives us a vehicle to deliver new content after launch. We are committed to developing and delivering new content, including hundreds of new REQs. This steady stream of content will ensure the Halo 5: Guardians sandbox remains fresh and give you new and exciting things to covet and work towards. This is in addition to the more than 1000 REQs available at launch.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...guardians-building-your-req-collection-part-2

Top Bottom