• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Dev Talks Free DLC, Attracting New Players, and Fair Microtransactions

16BitNova

Hey Stinkles, so what is the deal with premium REQ packs? Are these only going to be available for those first 7 weeks? Will there be any way to get Premium REQ through points gathered by playing or only available by purchasing separately (and with the bundle)?

Falchion

I think the decisions they have made will greatly increase the multiplayer activity throughout the life of the game. Can't wait.

Glass

Yes thanks.

So I'm not trying to troll and I don't want to start an argument but I want to be sure that I understand how the MTs work... Since the article and the Title calls them "fair MTs".

So I can earn around 2000 points per game, and points allow me to buy things like scorpion tanks, and you can earn the right to use scorpion tanks that you have bought at some point in the middle of each war zone game based upon my performance and the performance of my team mates.

You can't buy the right to use a tank in game, you have to earn that each game, but you can buy the equipment for cash. You can buy or earn Bronze, Silver, and Gold package equipment.

But you can keep buying new gold tier OP equipment each game with real world cash? Whereas it would take you on average about five games to earn the right in game buy gold tier packages. Is that right?

I get that there is a trade off for free maps. But unless I misunderstand the system then it doesn't really sound like a "fair" non p2w PvP mode to me.

You don't buy tanks, you buy Req Packs, which might contain a tank. Think of it like buying any real world trading card pack. You don't know what you'll get, but youre guaranteed at least one 'shiny' etc.

You also earn packs each time you rank up, and if you don't like a certain card, i.e 'I hate plasma pistols Im not going to use that', you can sell it for req points.

Stinkles, not sure if this has been asked elsewhere so apologies if it has, but does the Beta for the New Xbox Dashboard have any issues with playing Halo 5? It might make me hold off on enrolling for it if it means I cant play the game or if there are issues.

Deku Tree

You don't buy tanks, you buy Req Packs, which might contain a tank. Think of it like buying any real world trading card pack. You don't know what you'll get, but youre guaranteed at least one 'shiny' etc.

You also earn packs each time you rank up, and if you don't like a certain card, i.e I hate plasma pistols Im not going to use that, you can sell it for req points.

Thanks! Oh so what's in the packs is RNG. So once you get a tank or a plasma pistol or something other weapon from your pack do get to keep it forever in your collection or is it a one time use thing?

Madness

Interesting wording for a lot of their post launch sustain. I've heard 8 months as a definite for their plans, and then now it's a year. If Halo Wars 2 is next year, most Halo fps fans will still be playing this as their main heavy multi Halo game, so I wonder if they have something planned for beyond.

For Halo 4, Forge Island wasn't really planned before game launched, and then while the 3 early map packs were announced and part of season pass, the Champions DLC was all new, added the Ricochet mode and wasn't planned from start I think. So who knows what long term goal for H5 is beyond.

Duster

I still don't see how they can attract new fans with this overly convoluted REQ system in place. The REQ alone makes me want to hold off on getting this day one. I watched that tutorial video and it just frustrated me as I see no point to it.

Until reading this thread I had no idea what Req packs are or even why I'd want a scorpion (I'm guessing it's not the guy from MK), I assume I'm the type of new player he wants to attract* but that hardly sounds inviting.

*admittedly these games aren't really for me anyway but I'm guessing I fit their target demographic.

Aeqvitas

This sounds awesome. As someone who was disappointed at how Halo DLC has been handled after Halo 2 (after which maps were not released for free after 6 months, fragmenting the community starting in Halo 3), I am happy to see 343 taking this community oriented approach. I am much more likely to buy req packs now just to show my support. The contrast between this approach and how much Bungie price gouges anemic DLC is massive.

I haven't been this hyped for a Halo release since 2 (I know I am in the minority here for not thinking 3 was the best). I see myself putting in a lot of time to H5 multiplayer, as I think warzone will be a great palate cleanser and way to de-stress between intense arena sessions.

Glass

Thanks! Oh so what's in the packs is RNG. So once you get a tank or a plasma pistol or something other weapon from your pack do get to keep it forever in your collection or is it a one time use thing?

Apart from loadout weapons, it seems most equipment is one use. Something like a legendary sniper rifle will be one use, but things like armour, helmets, weapon skins are permanently yours.

The one use thing is genius the more I think about it - maybe player A did spend a bunch of real money getting that legendary sniper rifle. You could pistol whip him and pry it out of his dead hands for $0. That risk and reward aspect of Warzone should be awesome.

Madness

Oh my god at REQ packs being that cheap

It's gonna be addictive buying them holy shit

Probably gonna be hilarious if more fans buy REQ packs than those that ever bought map packs. Only $2-$3 I can buy a couple, but no one wanted to shell out like 800-1200 ms points for maps.

shoreu

Yes thanks.

So I'm not trying to troll and I don't want to start an argument but I want to be sure that I understand how the MTs work... Since the article and the Title calls them "fair MTs".

So I can earn around 2000 points per game, and points allow me to buy things like scorpion tanks, and you can earn the right to use scorpion tanks that you have bought at some point in the middle of each war zone game based upon my performance and the performance of my team mates.

You can't buy the right to use a tank in game, you have to earn that each game, but you can buy the equipment for cash. You can buy or earn Bronze, Silver, and Gold package equipment.

But you can keep buying new gold tier OP equipment each game with real world cash? Whereas it would take you on average about five games to earn the right in game buy gold tier packages. Is that right?

I get that there is a trade off for free maps. But unless I misunderstand the system then it doesn't really sound like a "fair" non p2w PvP mode to me.

Edit: or once you bought a scorpion tank do you get to keep it forever... That would be more Fair than the way I was thinking about it in the last paragraph.

No, some cards are permanent but vehicles are not.

Danny 117

when you say low, about how low? I thought it was a good thing that you couldn't do it if you wasn't high enough off the ground.

You can ground pound from the height of a standard jump from what I've played, it's nowhere near as powerful as jumping off of a ledge, though.

Deku Tree

If you get into a sweaty warzone match and you really want to win you might feel pressure to buy a quick gold package to get some OP equipment.

If you spend $2.99 every once in a while like that then it's not going to take very long to spend a lot more than what map packs used to cost.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Stinkles, in mp in general, are there not stations available during mp play?

My concern is that this disrupts online play as one member of a team goes to make some req purchases rendering his other mates outnumbered. If i understand this correctly, this could end friendships (/hyperbole) :( and create incentive to ignore marchmaking

Joke question right?

It's easier to pull off at low and high altitude and is on melee. Damage done is related to height and accuracy.

Has it ever been challenging to aim a Ground Pound while holding down B on the Recon controller layout seeing how you won't have your right thumb free to aim?

If you get into a sweaty warzone match and you really want to win you might feel pressure to buy a quick gold package to get some OP equipment.

You can't buy or open REQ packs in game, so that won't happen. You might get rekt and then decide "man I need some better shit" and decide to pay to get some credits to get a pile of REQ packs, but having better shit doesn't mean you won't get rekt.

Get good.

Ominym

Banned
Free Dlc maps are maps that are already made long ago during development but spread out over time

There are plenty of things I will talk shit on 343i for, but giving the user base free maps will never be one of them. As long as these features stay cosmetic in Arena and lolworthy in Warzone? This is an objectively good thing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Has it ever been challenging to aim a Ground Pound while holding down B on the Recon controller layout seeing how you won't have your right thumb free to aim?

Yeah so I switched to default till the controller remapper comes out. I will probably map to a single paddle on the elite controller but tbh I really got used to default.

Dynasty8

Seahawks just scored two touchdowns in 117 seconds. Coincidence?

Well yes, obviously.

538148e0dba3b.gif

IronWarrior

Neo Member
It's easier to pull off at low and high altitude and is on melee. Damage done is related to height and accuracy.

How does it work if I want to melee someone in mid air? Is it like the plasma pistol where if you tap you get a regular melee but hold gives you a ground pound?

Yeah so I switched to default till the controller remapper comes out. I will probably map to a single paddle on the elite controller but tbh I really got used to default.

Any news on the special Halo 5 Elite controller configurations? Also, just out of curiosity, what's your favorite armor set in Halo 5 (that has been revealed thus far)?

Glass

I think people are getting confused with purchasing the packs, and using the Req stations during a game. The Req station seen in game, is used to access what you have already acquired and have in your existing collection. It does not act as a way to buy more packs with points or money.

Madness

I know these decisions are never taken lightly, but why does crouch jumping take precedence over ground pound in the Recon scheme? If ground pound is changed and easier than ever, who cares if I can't crouch jump, its going to be brutal having to aim in Recon with ground pound on B and trying to aim with right control stick.

I will probably do the same though. Recon with Elite Controller, remap some stuff to the paddles so easy to pull off.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How does it work if I want to melee someone in mid air? Is it like the plasma pistol where if you tap you get a regular melee but hold gives you a ground pound?

You hold to charge ground pound and press to melee. You're pretty unlikely to accidentally ground pound because you also have to focus on the ground target.

Glass

Do we know how cosmetic skins work in arena? E.g I have a BR skin, but its AR/Pistol starts. If I pick up a fresh BR, will it be my skin?

Zeta Oni

What are you asking? I just feel the system does more harm than add to the experience. Great gunplay, stage design, netcode are all one needs for a great online multiplayer game. With that said, the videos confused me so I may be asking with the intent of clarification which Stinkles provided

Titanfall begs to differ.

Destiny begs to differ in the opposite way.

Fact is, unlockable content keeps a large percentage of players interest in the game in the long term, regardless of how you may feel personally.

Madness

Titanfall begs to differ.

Destiny begs to differ in the opposite way.

Fact is, unlockable content keeps a large percentage of players interest in the game in the long term, regardless of how you may feel personally.

This is very true. Reach was basically the start of the real grind for Halo, and it just picked up with Halo 4 and now Halo 5. People love the drip feed, carrot on a stick mechanism. Look how many hit SR-130 and then complained there was no more progression, nothing to unlock etc.

With this, they can keep adding as long as people want things, newer guns, newer vehicles, maybe even newer armors and assassinations etc. Mass Effect 3 really showed me how addictive it can be if you tie unlocks to fun game play. You want to keep playing but also want to unlock more. It should feel natural and not so much a grind as Destiny even tends to feel.

BokehKing

Banned
Nice to see Bio Ware pave the way for console micro transactions that lead to free dlc (mass effects 3 free mp maps) now that Bungie and 343i followed suit, hopefully this leads to treyarch and others doing it

Will see how this system works in practice and if I'm able to tolerate the possible downsides of it by keeping the free season pass in mind.

Game was $40 when I ordered it, so can't feel too bad.

MouldyK

Source?

(Can't believe you used titanfall as an example of a game with a healthy and regular online userbase).

I THINK, based on how he worded his post, he was saying that Titanfall has great gunplay, stage design and netcode...but no-one online.

And that maybe he was insinuating, which I later found out to be false, that Destiny has crap gunplay, stage design and netcode...but people play it.

Of course, I am not saying Destiny is bad since I have not played it and cannot have an opinion on it.

Top Bottom